Colobow 03-Mar-20
swampokie 04-Mar-20
JLeMieux 04-Mar-20
Happy Jack 09-Mar-20
hmaxims 11-Aug-20
hmaxims 11-Aug-20
jordanathome 11-Aug-20
18-Jan-20
Hey folks, headed out to Colorado in August. Have never been out that way. Looking for anything outdoorsy to do/visit near Colorado Springs. I have two teenage sons, so already planned a fly fishing trip with a family friend who is a guide. Looking for museums or natural places to visit. Old mines, ghost towns, etc. Looking for stuff that normal people would not see. Thanks in advance!

19-Jan-20
Garden of the God's, the Royal Gorge, and the Cave of the Winds are all popular tourist spots.

Matt

19-Jan-20
Lots of stuff to see and do around the Springs. Will depend on how much time you have, how far you want to travel and what kind of vehicle you will have..

Pikes Peak is neat. You can drive to the top. Touristy but interesting.

Lots of scenery, old mining stuff and fishing if you drive a couple of hours west above Fairplay and Alma. South Park is interesting with good scenery on the way and probably see buffalo and antelope. To see the really neat stuff, a good 4x4 will be necessary. There are probably some Jeep rental places in Fairplay or Alma.

Just poking around the mountains and stopping at interesting looking places can be a lot of fun. Try not to work off too much of a schedule and just roll with the flow. Have FUN!

19-Jan-20
We that live here stay away from all the tourist spots, I would get a trail map and do some day hiking. Around anywhere you will fly fish there will tons of trails. If you enjoy people from other countries with cameras go to Garden of the Gods.

19-Jan-20

Yellowjacket's Link
If you're interested in mining history the Mollie Kathleen gold mine tour is cool. You go down 1,000 feet in the mine. Whole different perspective than just seeing the old ruins on the surface.

It's near Cripple Creek and the Cripple Creek visitor center is worth visiting also.

19-Jan-20
Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I grew up just outside Boston, MA. There are ALOT of touristy things to do here, but the locals avoid it all. Its the same everywhere I bet. I just googled Colorado Springs attractions and all I got was the places that pay to advertise.

My wife saw Garden of the Gods and wants to go back, so that's a given. Like any other vacation, we have no plan and I'm sure we won't all agree on where to go and what to do. But those all sound like great places to check out.

19-Jan-20
Flyfish the Arakansa river near canyon city or tail waters of the Arakansa riverbelow Pueblo Reservoir

19-Jan-20
Sand Dunes and surrounding area are worth checking out.

19-Jan-20
The Cheyenne Mtn. Zoo is fun. It's not big, but you can feed the giraffes by hand. The Georgetown loop train will take you on a short ride to a mine. Lots to do in that area. Lots of good Geocaching around there, too.

20-Jan-20

samman's Link
Meuller state park is not far & a nice area for hiking. Also in the area is the Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. Wish my wife & I had more time when we came across this. It's pretty interesting. I believe the Air Force Academy Chapel will be closed for renovation. It's usually a big draw. If interested the Royal Gorge train is also a great thing to do. You should reserve tickets ahead of time. On Friday & Saturday's they offer a 6:30 train ride that is a little longer & you get great views of the changing light from sunset.

20-Jan-20
Two teenage sons would enjoy whitewater rafting.

20-Jan-20
You can do that in Royal Gorge as well. Hopefully the rivers will still be running good in August.

20-Jan-20
I imagine youll be coming from the east. Instead of taking I25 down to the Springs, take Rampart Range road. Theres a couple cool spots you can stop and take pics or go on a little hike.

20-Jan-20
Colorado Springs will be opening the new Olympic Museum in downtown this year, you could also tour the Olympic training center. Check out Horse Thief Falls. Not far from Mueller and a quick in and out hike. It also has Pancake Rocks to check out off a side trail. GoG is a great time as well. Flyfishing is all over; 11 mile canyon, Spinney Mtn Ranch, Deckers, Four Mile Creek, Arkansas. None of them are secrets so expect company. Read up on the the Hayman Fire and go drive through there. As devestating as it was it's awe inspiring to be able to drive through it up near Divide. You'll see plenty of deer and possibly some elk and turkey as well.

Pike's Peak is cool but they are in the middle of construction on a new visitor center at the top. I haven't been up there in a few months but it was a cluster up there in October.

20-Jan-20
'Haven't been up (Ute Pass) Waldo Canyon Trail since before the (2012) fire but it used to be pretty incredible. The Platte drainage has slowly been recovering since the '02 Haymen Fire - both might be worth checking out.

28-Feb-20
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. Just bought our airfare. Can't wait.

01-Mar-20
go shoot the academy 3-d range, pretty good one1

02-Mar-20
And right across from the Academy on the other side of the interstate is a mining museum on Northgate Rd. If you want at least one relaxing day I'd recommend Mt. Princeton Hot Springs about 2 hour drive west from the Springs. Also lots to see and do around that Buena Vista area - beautiful country.

02-Mar-20
Bass Pro Shops is off Northgate Rd too....along with C.B. & Potts for a cold beverage with a great view of the front range.

03-Mar-20
The Florissant Fossil Beds are often overlooked. West of the 'Springs about 30-45 min. Petrified Redwood stumps, from back when the inland sea "Gulf of Mexico*" stretched up to Canada, and Western Colorado was like modern day coastal Cali (in reverse). An interesting detour, if you are in the vicinity... ( perhaps not a solo destination, unless you are a geo-buff)

04-Mar-20
Pikes peak would be cool but the real attraction in the springs is Mr Joe Kenda...

04-Mar-20
Another vote for Florissant. Also, if you're up for a hike and want to see something different, the dinosaur trackway in Picketwire Canyon is cool. It's a little ways out but I enjoyed it.

09-Mar-20
If you like to eat big at breakfast, “The Pantry” in Green Mtn Falls is great. So is the Hungry Bear in Woodland Park. Worth a stop.

11-Aug-20
Just wanted to circle back and truly thank you all for the ideas! Because it was a vacation, we didn't do everything that everyone suggested! We had a few relaxing days in there. But we had a great vacation. You guys are lucky to have the scenery and weather you do!

We ate at the Hungry Bear - great food. Saw the cave dwellings, shopped in Manitou Springs (hit the Mountain Man store), hit Pikes Peak, visited the IAFF firefighters memorial, Molly Katherine gold mine, Cripple Creek, did some scenic drives, farmers markets, swam, hot tub and flyfished at South Platte River and the south slope of Pikes Peak. Our friend is a guide and put us on some great fish (first time for me.) Even though he was a friend, he got paid and it was well worth it. He was "no nonsense" and very responsible and clean with his equipment. If anyone wants his contact info, I can provide it. But I am not here to promote him, just to say thanks again. Can't wait to get back there!

11-Aug-20

hmaxims's embedded Photo
hmaxims's embedded Photo
It was probably the last vacation we will take as a family. My oldest is going back to college and my youngest is at the age he would rather hang with his girlfriend, so the fishing meant alot to me.

11-Aug-20
Awesome!!!! The Molly Kathleen is a hoot for sure. Damn its been many years since I went down into that place. Great memories. But Gold Fever show ruined me long ago. I love gold mines, ghost towns, everything.

• Sitka Gear