ColoGregS 25-Feb-20
Winded 26-Feb-20
Dale06 26-Feb-20
Jaquomo 26-Feb-20
Brun 26-Feb-20
marvelous 02-Mar-20
Paul@thefort 04-Mar-20
21-Jan-20
I have 22 points for elk. With the new draw procedures I may not get to hunt elk this year. The only way if I do not draw my first choice, is my second choice. That depends on the quota. I agree our elk are way down in the sw corner. I killed an elk 17 years in a row until two years ago. I opted not to kill because I killed in another state. I love my elk meat. When I had a family at home I furnished all the meat. We never bought beef, but every once in a while. I killed four or five animals a year. No need to try much now just me and my wife. I give a lot of meat away to needy people I know. The NW corner 2 or 10. 61 could be an option. Not sure what I am going to do. CPW really screwed up. No rifle tags restrictions. Any opinions would be appreciated!

21-Jan-20
I will send you some info

21-Jan-20
Unit 10 would be my choice. It is open enough to see if the bugling bull is worth the chase. Read about Bruns hunt.

22-Jan-20
Thanks Grasshopper!

22-Jan-20

Treeline's Link
Lots of great info here.

25-Feb-20
I rifle hunted Unit 2 in 2018 and would save the points again and again to hunt there. No regrets at all. Tremendous experience for certain.

26-Feb-20
I like these kind of decisions. Better than deciding whether to get into the game or not.

26-Feb-20
Killing an elk 17 years in a row is impressive.

26-Feb-20
Dennis, you'll do fine whatever unit you choose. It's the guys who who burn 20+ points with little or no elk bowhunting experience who struggle. They imagine it's flock shooting at herds of 350 bulls. Those units have some unique challenges.

My partner and I killed our big bulls in unit 2 in five days, but we had killed around 64 archery elk between us going into the hunt. With your experience, you'll have a great hunt.

26-Feb-20
With your points I wouldn't even consider Unit 61 over 2 or 10. Agree with Jaquomo that an experienced, successful elk hunter will have a great hunt in the northwest corner. I chose 10 and had a great hunt, but don't have strong feelings that one unit is better than the other. I do believe pretty strongly that you should spend as much time as possible in whichever one you choose. I did a lot of scouting before my hunt and feel that was a major reason I didn't have many issues with other hunters. Learn a bunch of spots and you should have plenty of options no matter what other guys are doing. If you want to read my hunt recap it's called "The quest is the best" and can still be found on here under the elk category. If I wasn't such a Luddite I'd post the link, but I have no idea how to do that. Good luck whatever you decide.

02-Mar-20
Thank you all for the input. I have been doing a-lot of research and I will stay with the corner. I burnt 16 points in Utah last year and killed a herd bull. Just not the giant I hoped for. A bull at 14 yards is hard for me to pass. So I want to spend my time in a good unit for two weeks and enjoy the hunt. Thanks and good luck to you all in the draws! Thanks Dennis Howell

04-Mar-20
Dennis, hope all is well. Have you mule deer hunted in AZ? I have been successful enough with Coues deer and thought I would change it up to mule deer and give it a try. I will hunt in January and most likely more to the south to stay away from the possibility of winter storms. Send me a PM Thanks

Paul

• Sitka Gear