Zim 04-Mar-20
LYNN W 27-Jan-21
Highlife 27-Jan-21
jstephens61 27-Jan-21
Bentstick81 27-Jan-21
LYNN W 08-Feb-21
Bentstick81 09-Feb-21
22-Jan-20
The old archery harvest record from 2005, of just over 66,000, just got smashed.

The new record is now just over 68,000.

How do you set a archery record, when the state wide deer population is 30-40% lower the it was in 2005 ???

Legalize a weapon that can shoot 1" groups at 100 yards & can produce over 50% more kinetic energy.....which our IDNR did.....8^(

Just think, they have only been legal for everyone, for 3 seasons now.

A few more yrs, the new archery record might hit 100,000.

Especially when they get airbows in the mix next.......8^(

22-Jan-20
Good post Lynn. The worthless dnr will just look the other way, as always. I remember when some people thought that cross GUNS wouldn't affect the deer herd. LOL. That kind of thinking is exactly what the dnr thrive on. Our worthless dnr isn't managing anything, except their wallets and retirements. That's it. What a bunch of clowns.

22-Jan-20
With that thought process Ohio and any other state that has been crossbow legal for years shouldn't have many deer left. Its not the end of the world people life will go on. And no I don't own a crossbow. Just wondering how many bow hunters in 2005 vs. 2019?

22-Jan-20
Dpat. I’m wondering the same thing. I hope that the more effective weapon does not have the effect of causing a reduction in archery seasons.

22-Jan-20
I hope it causes a reduction in the crossbow season

22-Jan-20
Too late, idnr already started reducing archery seasons remember ???

After the first year of xbows for all, IDNR implemented the 5 county antlerless restrictions zone, here in central IL, AND it is just the start. IDNR stated they are monitoring archery harvest closely & are prepared to further reduce archery antlerless harvest wherever needed.

BUT....they refuse to limit antlerless harvest by quota's or a limit per person, because that will cost them $$$$$

8^(

23-Jan-20
We need to self limit ourselves. Christ we've had guys boasting on double figure kills than bitch about not seeing deer. Seriously how many deer does one have to have in their freezer?

23-Jan-20
Highlife. I agree about having to "self limit ourselves". But, I don't think that most hunters will be smart enough to do that. I've mentioned this very thing to people that hunt and a few of them always come back with the same answer:" If the deer herd was so low, why would the dnr hand out so many gun permits, seasons, and OTC permits for guns and bows? The herd must be OK." If the permits are available, they will use them. The thing that ticks me off is, why should we pay dnr employees wages and the unbelievable retirements, to not manage our wildlife and leave it up to us? Money hungry fools, for sure.

23-Jan-20
More permits more money. Unfortunately it goes into the general fund never to be seen again. Our politicians and thier toadies care about one thing and one thing only getting reelected. On my end I shoot no does after the rut as far as letting bucks walk if he's not bigger than what's up on the wall he gets a pass.

23-Jan-20
On my end, i have shot 2 deer in 14 years. I will not shoot a Doe, period. Won't shoot small bucks either. That's the way it will be til our bought out dnr , starts doing what they are (OVER) paid to do. I've been deer hunting for 45 years, i do believe, and was fortunate to hunt deer back when we had a TRUE, HONEST DNR, that actually would fight for our Wildlife and resources. Today's dnr isn't going to try and lie to me because I know better. Good thing that the DNR of the old wasn't like today's dnr, because if they were, there probably wouldn't be any deer to hunt today. You would think that these clowns would have a little more respect for themselves and try to better this state, but as we can see, Pay & Retirements comes first

23-Jan-20
Wasn't the saying 'shoot a doe so the herd dont grow'? Seems to have worked. Let people shoot all the bucks they like but no does for the next 10 years deer population will explode while average buck will be 1-1/2 year old dink. It's been a proven strategy in many states for decades until maybe 1990-95 when the country hit peak herd and switched gears to push deer numbers down.

24-Jan-20
Still have the patch somewhere believe I got it from IBS

24-Jan-20

Burt's embedded Photo
Burt's embedded Photo
Past 15 years the state deer harvest has been majority does. Last year almost 60%. Is it any wonder the population is down? I believe this was exactly what the various advocacy groups wanted.

As for record archery harvest, doesn't seem to be making a big change in total deer killed. The numbers might show gun hunters giving up their shotguns for a crossbow rather than tagging more deer. Certainly makes it a lot easier to get a tag and hunt public properties versus limited draw for gun season. Either way, a bunch of people are giving up their compounds for sure. I doubt anyone still using a stick bow suddenly dumped it in favor of an xbow.

24-Jan-20

DozRdeer2's Link
I don't see where deer harvest was "majority does" for the past 15 years; last year was not almost 60% -- only exceeding 50% in 2009 (50.5). It was close to 50% female for the period 2008 thru 2013. The percent female in the statewide total deer harvest was: 45.7 in 2005; 46.1 in 2006; 46.4 in 2007; 49.7 in 2008; 50.5 in 2009; 49.6 in 2010; 49.2 in 2011; 48.6 in 2012; 49.1 in 2013; 47.1 in 2014; 46.4 in 2015; 44.5 in 2016; 44.0 in 2017; 44.8 in 2018. I noted an error on the cover page of the 2016 report, but the correct figure for percent female is posted here (unless I have made a typo). I hope all y'all had a great deer season. Tom

24-Jan-20

24-Jan-20
Stand corrected. I was looking at unantlered numbers. Does not change sentiment that we have been our own worst enemies on this.

24-Jan-20

25-Jan-20
But, it's the dnr's "JOB" to manage our herd, not the hunters. It's what they get paid for. If the permits are being given out OTC, and too many gun seasons and permits, the hunters think that the herd is ok, and will buy them. Like i said earlier, our dnr isn't managing anything. The proof is there. Don't look around it, to put the blame else where.

25-Jan-20
I suspect the average successful hunter in Illinois only kills 1, or maybe 2, deer per year. Keep everything OTC but make those first 2 tags bucks only. Once those are filled then can buy all the extra doe tags you like just like it is now. Would dramatically change the harvest and probably sell just as many tags. Guys who like to shoot tons of deer could still do it. Of course the state would never go for it given how the insurance companies and farm bureau control things.

25-Jan-20
Burt are you saying I would have to kill 2 bucks before killing a doe? If so I would not agree to that. Towards the end of the season I wanted 1 more deer for meat and rather than killing a small buck I shot one of the 15 does I saw. If you make people start shooting small bucks then the next complaint will be there are no big bucks.

25-Jan-20

26-Jan-20
And where it stops, we already know. Has been for years.

27-Jan-20
Earn-a-doe is not what I suggest. Just make the standard 2 archery tags both bucks and buy an extra doe tag if you like. I suspect the majority of hunters dont shoot two deer and would be happy with 1 either sex but the state is in the business of selling tags so you have to buy a pair.

Of course this is all conjecture and any way you look at it I'm pretty sure the state legislature is not interested in growing tje deer herd back to previous levels.

13-Feb-20
Well if the dnr would stop culling huge numbers we wouldn't have a problem. The word from up high has come down and that is to reduce the herd, period. Mobil refinery property had 1000 taken off last year, which now has caused JTA, Joliet training to ban shooting does after the second shotgun season. All those years of QDMA down thetoliet. I hunt public and I see very few bows out there, seems everyone has gone to the crossbow. Much more effective weapon for the less skilled Hunter and it will certainly have an effect. For those who want to shoot lots of deer go to goose lake for their late season CWD,, kill as many as you can for 5 bucks a tag.

14-Feb-20
LB ....good luck with killing all those CWD deer at Goose Lake. 9 killed all year with archery there. 10-15 yrs ago that place was amazing. Now it's a cesspool of shit!

14-Feb-20
Man ain't that the truth. As far as Mobil taking out 1000 deer I'd like to know where they were all at.

14-Feb-20
Well dusk I know it's not what's is was but a buddy hunted and saw plenty of deer and took a beautiful 140ish

14-Feb-20
Congrats to him on a nice buck out there. 140-150" deer used to be pretty common with many spotted even larger. On an avg. day bowhunting out there we would see between 10-20 deer almost every sit. Of course most were not I. Bow range, but still great to know they were there and healthy. Never said that there aren't still good bucks out there but overall it is a shadow of what it once was. Make the 3 1/2 mile to the back past last bridge and see all the quad tracks coming from private land is a joke. Paths no longer maintained and saw a huge pile of deer skulls by 3rd bridge. Hmmm wonder how that happened? The would never slaughter deer in the name of disease would they? Buddy hunts the Boy Scout Camp seast of there and still gets nice deer but the overall numbers are WAY DOWN! Just another Illinois public spot that went to hell. Maybe it will rebound, maybe not only time will tell.

24-Feb-20
Double the price of tags and do away with unlimited archery doe permits.....everyone wins, state gets the money and hunters get higher deer numbers.

28-Feb-20
I see a lot of blame pointed at the DNR but they have not managed the IL deer herd in years. Corrupt politicians took control long ago, with deep pockets filled by special interest groups. About the only thing the DNR can do about it is complain. But they know that's fruitless so they just sit on their hands waiting for that bloated corrupt politician created pension to kick in.

01-Mar-20
Zim: I believe your might be correct to a certain point. The Legislature allows the DNR to operate. It is the legislature that allowed the crossbows into the archery season. It will be the legislature who will or will not allow the "airbow" into the archery season. It seems to be a common thread to blame the DNR for everything but I think the finger needs to be pointed at the legislature. After all, it was the legislative task force that mandated the DNR reduce the overall population after the 200,000 + kill in around 2006.

01-Mar-20
Zim, I thought you were Indiana’s problem now. Why do you worry about Illinois problems anyways?

02-Mar-20
awh, Because I am a lifetime stakeholder in Illinois, and travel the entire state for my job.

02-Mar-20
But what’s crazy Zim is that you are on the Indiana site saying how bad that states public land hunting is. In the past all you did was complain about Illinois deer hunting but now you say that you’ll be doing most of your hunting here. I think you just really like complaining about deer hunting. The grass isn’t greener is it?

02-Mar-20
awh, Green grass is a moving target. It's no big secret the few remaining midwest states with quality deer herds have been under assault by special interest groups and corrupt politicians for the last decade. Anywhere there's a resource to be exploited, these tools will follow. The last standing icon is under heavy fire as I type.........Iowa. It's hands down the best deer state left. However, I only have 2 points there so am stuck settling for other options, those being IN, IL, WI, KS, MO & MN. Most of these have taken beatings lately due to crossguns and before that nonresident quota elimination. None have great quality public any more. But I have to settle for one. So I decided to get a boat and seek some public with barrier to entry. IN has almost no river obstructed public, and it's not in my work area. I want to get reimbursed for my travel expenses. I think IL offers the most river obstructed public land, and it is in my work area. So in 2020 I'm going to try something new and focus on where my boat will be an advantage for me. May try Missouri next year. Anywhere I think politicians are doing the lest amount of damage. Because of my job, I can afford to follow that moving target year to year.

03-Mar-20

03-Mar-20
j, I'm a contract employee for a company that exclusively does work for USPS, so there's no pension, just a 401k. I've not commented much about the Illinois pension system lately since I no longer fund it, but it is hard to turn your head at a train wreck. Still learning about Indiana. Apparently the roads here have come a long way by not having corrupt politicians tapping the finances for decades. It adds up. Rated #1 state in the nation for infrastructure 2019 by CNBC. Beats a 20 cent/gallon gas tax increase. I've noticed all the bridges here are new too, including LaPorte's downtown which was just completed last month.

03-Mar-20

03-Mar-20
Touchy subject here. My one main thought is the dnr is not solely responsible for making harvest decisions. As hunters we are very much responsible for making good decisions. I feel like we know what’s going on as much are more than any state agency cause we are the ones in the woods. I got destroyed on this sight for harvesting 2 bucks in one day with a gun. Both were nice deer one I’m guessing was 7 1/2 and the other 4 1/2. Was it greedy? Maybe? I don’t regret my decision and I count it will ever happen again. Most years I harvest one doe and every 4th year or so I harvest 1 buck. This was the only year I have ever harvested 2 bucks in one season in 23 years of hunting. Our deer numbers were way down and this year I probably won’t shoot a doe.

03-Mar-20
My point is you hunt the same area so make good decisions. Shoot mature deer if possible. Hold off on shooting does if you think numbers are down and try to harvest mature deer. Private public are very different things but make good decisions and what you think is the right decision for your area. Enjoy the hunt but to me there’s no need to shoot 8-9 deer in one year

04-Mar-20
j, Didn’t say I hadn’t posted at all, said not much. Plus, I’m not complaining. I’m thrilled to fund my own family these days.

27-Jan-21
TTT.....

Same story, different year.........

Congrats.....IL has once again smashed the all-time archery record by another 7,500 dead deer !!!

More than 10% increase over the old record.

8^(

27-Jan-21
Uhh I thought we didn't have any deer left in Illinois.

27-Jan-21
Here we go again, 5 days late.

27-Jan-21
One thing for sure. The list of people saying that the deer herd in their area has dropped, will keep getting longer. in the near future.

08-Feb-21

LYNN W's Link
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/2/4/22266005/illinois-deer-hunting-taking-shot-meaning-2020-21-harvest-numbers?fbclid=IwAR2g67L8f1ij6-gWfvBwPYc1jmmb50L6xxw5FKTzZnO0nPl15qUn_OvzB7Q

09-Feb-21
My bet is still on hitting the lottery, than the dnr doing what they are suppose to. I like the "pandemic" answer. 8^))))))))))))))

• Sitka Gear