Glunt@work 29-Jan-20
EMar47 29-Jan-20
Paul@thefort 29-Jan-20
Glunt@work 29-Jan-20
22-Jan-20

cnelk's Link
CPW press release today - 1/22/2020

22-Jan-20
That is the policy of US Fish and Wildlife, no intro if in existence.

If they remain listed, there will be no intro anyway under Trump. If Trump is not reelected, all bets are off.

If delisted, and no lawsuits prevent it, then an intro could be forced.

Lots of what if's

22-Jan-20
Something about the timing of this is just too coincidental.

22-Jan-20
Hmmm, those wolves are only a couple miles from the Wyoming line.

That picture looks like the tracks are headed north on the west side of the Vermillion...

Might need to go poke around up that way on a few weekends. Got calls and a good rifle...

No license required and no season on the north side of the line...

23-Jan-20
Maybe this is an attempt by the park and wildlife to have them not reintroduced. If they are already here.

Every officer I talk to is opposed to them. But they don’t get to decide what happens in regards to Wildlife

23-Jan-20
Gentlemen. Lets think about this for a minute. I am sure the CPW has known about this wolf pack for years. The CPW has in the past publicly stated they do not want forced introduction. And I think everyone, even the governor knows forced introduction is a bad idea; from decimating livestock and wildlife, a hit to the revenue stream from hunting licenses if wolves become a problem and most importantly the cost of millions to introduce. Do you honestly think that magically now, just days after it is announced the introduction is going to be on the 2020 ballot, this pack just shows up? They've been here for while but now the CPW does a press release with evidence to back that up.. guys this is the CPWs way of stopping forced introduction. Make it public, get the USFW involved and let them tell the world that Colorado has a resident wolf pack so there cannot be a forced introduction. It's a win win politically for the governor who can save face with his liberal lubricating base by blaming the end of forced wolf intro on the feds. Then the pro wolf groups will change their fight to 'keep wolves listed'.. and I also don't think the current administration will be focused of delisting between now and November 2020.

23-Jan-20
Yep my thoughts too exactly! It’s better than a force introduction. I’ve heard about wolves being here for years.

Now if we could have them managed

23-Jan-20
If I were a betting man. I would bet we hear about another wolf pack, perhaps the one rumored to be in grand county. Then another press release. Followed by an announcement that removes the ballot initiative, something like ''Due to wolves listed on the endangered species act, the USFW has authority in this matter. Their policy states if wolves currently reside in a state, they cannot be introduced by force '... done and done

23-Jan-20
I had 2 wolves come by me opening weekend of archery back in 2004 [I think that was the year] in Jackson County.

Yes, I know what wolves look like. No they werent coyotes. I heard them coming thru the timber to our calls. We never saw an elk that weekend.

They've been here quite often. Has anyone done a Open Records Request for wolf tracking data in Colorado?

23-Jan-20
I’m in! I’ll take a “natural” introduction over a forced introduction that will speed up the population growth.

23-Jan-20
I saw 4 moose in 201 in '17. Hopefully these lousy dogs don't get them.

23-Jan-20
I bet the pro-reintroduction folks don't get all their donations refunded when it's taken off the table :)

23-Jan-20

Jaquomo's Link
Big article today about the topic, where Stop the Wolf did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Wish we could get our ey back from them..

23-Jan-20
I copied this from MtHunter's post

''Due to wolves listed on the endangered species act, the USFW has authority in this matter. Their policy states if wolves currently reside in a state, they cannot be introduced by force '... done and done"

If this statement is true, we have no worries about reintroduction. And the guy in charge of STW will just have to find some other way to collect money for his next drugstore dude cowboy hat and boots.

23-Jan-20
It is true. The only way that changes is if wolves are delisted. The delisting gives individual states the ability to manage wolf populations. If they remain listed, then the state cannot introduce wolves without the permission from USFW. Even if the ballot measure passes, the USFW would have to sign off on introducing wolves. And from what I understand, they have no interest in that for Colorado, for a variety of reasons most of all the large human population encroachment into potential wolf habitat. The current landscape of Colorado could not support a large population of wolves. So best case scenario is, because there is a confirmed wolf pack living in Colorado, the USFW gets involved to squash the ballot measure. Then sometime in 2021 or 2022 wolves are delisted and the state can manage what is here.

23-Jan-20
Dow officer videoed a lone black Wolf in North Park 12 or so years ago so I don't doubt your wolf sighting at all. Here's the story on it. It's not likely that a dow officer made a mistake in identifying.

"In 2007, video footage of a black, wolf-like animal was taken near Walden in North Park. While wildlife experts who viewed the video said the animal appeared to be a wolf, it was not wearing a radio collar, and its identity could not be verified."

23-Jan-20
I don't believe USFWS can do anything about the ballot measure, because it meets all the requirements to get on the ballot. But as we've learned in the past, just because something passes doesn't mean that it will be enacted. USFWS can overrule this initiative after passing (so long as wolves remain listed) as can any of the conservative judges Trump has appointed.

Their side engages in judge shopping for all enviro issues they want to force. Our side should too.

23-Jan-20
Folks, I understand that there are some concerns with "Stop the Wolf" and affiliation with Big Game Forever and such. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and concerns in that regard.

The personal attacks on Denny Behrens is completely uncalled for. I've worked with Denny for years and he is my friend and I'm not going to sit back and let a friend get personally attacked on social media with derogatory "drug store cowboy" comments and the like.

You may not agree with Denny's politics and that is fine. He and I don't agree on everything, but I know for a fact he is doing what he thinks is right and he is actually doing something, unlike most. Being a social media post blogger doesn't make anyone an expert on anything and if you aren't offering alternative solutions, then your criticism has no merit either.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Being part of the solution doesn't mean following along like blind sheep, but if you have nothing more to offer than casting insults towards hunters trying to make a difference, then I hope your keyboard provides you with fulfilling friendships to last a lifetime.

We must be better than this!

Todd Brickel

23-Jan-20
Plenty of alternative solutions have been presented and emailed with no response back. It seems we are not getting much bang for our buck. If the best he could do was an infomercial on the outdoor, a booth at ISE, and some pamphlets then we got hosed. I have asked numerous times why stop the wolf doesn't have a social media presence, you don't see anything on instagram or facebook or any other outlet where they can reach thousands of people FOR FREE. The answer I got oh that's right I'm still waiting. I also asked why they didn't have a booth or any representation at the national livestock show, guess what again no response.

23-Jan-20
By the way Todd if you talk to Denny maybe he should pay for an ad in the Denver Post or another paper to combat all the pro wolf articles that have hit in the last few weeks. Maybe if he isn't too busy spamming my email for more money.

23-Jan-20
Anyone that sent money to STW and isnt getting anything in return certainly has a right to bitch.

When the hand came out.... I saved my money

23-Jan-20
Appears to be an incredibly savvy political move by the state government.

23-Jan-20

23-Jan-20
So you run an ad in the Post now and by November, no one who sees the ad will remember it. The correct timing for action is critical.

23-Jan-20
Of course it is. There are thousands of jobs on the line.

23-Jan-20
Thousands of jobs and many millions of dollars.

Todd, I agree with much of what you posted. What is frustrating is no one from STW will respond to emailed questions about their strategy and future plans. Crickets. Only emails and snail mail asking for more money. And we contributed in the beginning so I believe the least we could expect is a quick email reply to honest questions. No one I know who has emailed has received a response.

Meanwhile I'm writing letters to editors of newspapers, and have educated more than 1000 mostly nonhunting families through our mountain community social media site. From where I sit, that's 1000 more nonhunting families than STW has reached.

BTW, it is easier to convince a mind in the beginning than to change one once it's made up.

23-Jan-20
or Paul don't do anything and hope your pamphlets and showing up at hunting conventions are swaying the majority of voters. Not that big of a deal to run an ad bi-weekly from now until the election. Maybe you guys can figure out social media by then too.

23-Jan-20
Guys,

Just because one owns season tickets to the 49ers, doesn’t mean Kyle Shanahan is going to share his Super Bowl game plan with you.

Wolves in sheep’s clothing are everywhere and to publicly layout one’s strategy shows too many cards to the opposition.

Years ago when I served as DOW rep for CBA I wrote a critical article of SINAPU in our news letter. I stand by what I wrote, but received calls and a lawyer letter from them. They joined CBA to gain access to our thought process. Lurkers hang out here too.

I understand that may come across as secretive, but controlling strategy is important.

Either you trust Denny and The Stop the Wolf group or you don’t. They may win or lose, and we may win or lose, but we all know hunters are our own worst enemies. I have no doubt many have good ideas, and getting involved would be appreciated, but there is a plan and a strategy.

The CBA has donated $10,500 so far and due to trusted relationships both Paul and I are invited to weekly calls to listen and influence, but neither of us are going to come on here and outline for all to read.

We may be right or wrong, time will tell but this isn’t some one man show, begging for money, lining his personal pockets.

Everyone has to decide for themselves, but again you are either part of the problem or part of the solution, you decide.

Todd

24-Jan-20
Todd, understood. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue trying to influence the hearts, minds, and votes of as many nonhunting voters as possible before their minds are made up. STW can continue preaching to the choir. If I see some actual movement in the right direction, I'll contribute more money and effort toward that cause.

But I do very much trust you and Paul to do the right thing. Some other folks, not so much.

24-Jan-20
The solution can come in many forms Lou, thank you for being part of the solution.

Todd

24-Jan-20
Most of the non hunting people I discuss it with see the logic in not forcing the issue through a vote even though they like the idea of wolves in general.

They are usually not aware of the CPW stance or many facts about wolves or what happened the last time around in WY, ID, MT.

Anti-wolf positions probably wont play well. Pro-biologist/CPW has traction.

24-Jan-20

cnelk's Link
This is a really good read. - see link

24-Jan-20
Great read, Brad. Thanks for posting this.

24-Jan-20
I just sent Jason my fact sheet. I do not buy the survey results. Paul

24-Jan-20
Here is more recent, (today) info from Jason. IE, West Slope lawmaker tries to pump the brakes on Colorado wolf reintroduction.

Democratic Sen. Kerry Donovan’s bill would delay wolf management to study and fund compensation for lost livestock. It would also cancel a plan to bring back the predators if a “self-sustaining population” is confirmed. • PUBLISHED ONJAN 24, 2020 1:07P The Vail Democrat, who represents seven Western Slope counties, has crafted legislation she hopes to submit on Friday that allows Colorado Parks and Wildlife to manage wolves, but would postpone any reintroduction efforts until money is found to reimburse ranchers who lose livestock to wolves. The bill would cancel reintroduction outright if wildlife officials determine that the state already has a “self-sustaining population” of gray wolves. The bill is a detour around a question on November’s ballot that asks voters to direct Colorado Parks and Wildlife to reintroduce about 10 wolves a year into Western Slope wildlands starting in 2023. Donovan’s legislation delays possible reintroduction until the last day of 2025, after state agriculture and wildlife officials work together to measure potential damage caused by wolves and determine how to pay for lost livestock. It also comes as wildlife officials have confirmed a pack of six wolves roaming Moffat County in northwest Colorado. Colorado state Sen. Kerry Donovan, D-Vail, speaks on Feb. 1, 2019, at a town hall meeting in Frisco. (John Ingold, The Colorado Sun) “This initiative allows for a certain amount of conversation,” Donovan said Friday. “But with an issue as complex as this, which seems to be in flux with a pack moving into the northwest, I think it’s appropriate to take the deliberative process the general assembly allows and apply it to wildlife management in Colorado.” “This bill should give us a forum for a discussion,” she added, “and I don’t know if we are having that level of dialogue around what is a very complex issue for the Western Slope. I don’t think that happens with two opposing campaigns, which does not always provide the right forum for the discussions and compromises that these kinds of complicated issues require.” Donovan’s bill calls for a study group convened by Colorado Parks and Wildlife and the state’s department of agriculture to develop a report on the impacts and costs of wolves by Jan. 1, 2022. Under Donovan’s plan, a “sustainable reintroduction, recovery and management plan” would include a wide variety of methods — including the issuance of hunting permits — to promote a sustainable population of wolves, and minimize damage to livestock and provide compensation to ranchers who lose livestock to the predators. “Whatever the method is, we want to make sure the department has full capability to manage the population with the tools they think are best suited,” she said. The compensation issue is tricky for Donovan. It’s an issue that concerns her constituents on the Western Slope, she said. Her bill, she said, allows cattlemen and wool growers to work with wildlife officials to craft a system that not only identifies a funding source for compensating ranchers who lose livestock to wolves but outlines how ranchers can be reimbursed. “I could easily see a concept where you take a picture of your cow that has been killed and send it to us and we’ll send you a check for a couple hundred dollars. That sounds incredibly reasonable to people who haven’t run animals in the mountains. But it’s not that easy,” she said. “I want to make sure we get very realistic scenarios from people who work in these landscapes, the cattlemen and wool growers.” A gray wolf. (Photo provided by Grizzly Creek Films) George Edwards, the executive director of the Montana Livestock Loss Board, has spent 11 years paying ranchers in Montana for livestock they’ve lost to wolves, grizzly bears and mountain lions. In 2008, when Montana estimated there were 497 wolves in the state, his board paid $87,317 to ranchers who lost 238 animals to wolves, including 74 cattle, 149 sheep and four llamas. In 2019, with wildlife officials estimating Montana’s wolf population around 900, he paid $76,108 to ranchers for 53 cattle, 20 sheep and two horses. For the last three years, his office has paid record amounts to ranchers as losses from grizzly bears grow. Last year the Montana legislature increased his budget to $300,000 from $200,000. Edwards has visited several states across the West to explain his state’s compensation program, which pays ranchers market value for each animal his team confirms was killed by predators. “It’s interesting to hear ranchers’ perspectives in places like Northern California. I hear the same thing regardless of where you go. Once wolves move in, ranchers feel limited in what they can do to prevent loss,” Edwards said. “Once you have wolves, ranchers know their losses will grow.” But that’s not what Donovan is hearing from the Western Slope. Opponents of the measure have collected resolutions from 29 rural counties across the state opposing the reintroduction of wolves. “One of the concerns I keep hearing about is that a bunch of city folks are going to vote to approve wolves and we are going to have to deal with item” she said. Donovan’s bill says reintroduction efforts would be cancelled if wildlife officials determine there is a “sustainable population” in the state. So how many is that? “I’m not going to define that because there are people who are better versed for that,” Donovan said. “They are going to do the work to find out what a sustainable population is. We will let science determine what a sustainable population is.” Rick Enstrom, a former wildlife commissioner who worked with a wolf study group that crafted a management strategy for the Colorado Wildlife Commission in 2004 that did not support reintroduction, applauded Donovan’s legislative strategy for wolf management. “It seems pretty sensible to me. These issues are too complex to solve with a simple ballot measure,” he said. “Hopefully this will calm everybody down.” Passage of legislation and a ballot measure could set up a conflict. Legislation does not automatically override voter-approved initiatives. “I think we can say history has shown that when a compromise is reached inside the (Capitol) building that often results in initiatives being pulled off the ballot,” Donovan said.

24-Jan-20
I'll be sending Ms. Donovan a letter of support/thanks for her bill. It would be nice if she heard from some of us.

24-Jan-20
Let us know what he says Paul. Should be interesting.

24-Jan-20
I applaud her effort. I also applaud CPW for playing their ace and announced a natural pack of wolves. My guess is we will see evidence of another pack from them shortly. Even though they have to stay mum on ballot initiatives nothing is stopping them from showing evidence of wolves already here and nipping this initiative in the bud.

24-Jan-20
Fantastic!

24-Jan-20
When I read cnelk's linked article, this caught my eye. "Initiative 107, if approved by voters in November, would direct the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission to develop a plan to introduce about 10 gray wolves a year starting in 2023."

There are no specific numbers in the 107 language. RMWAF probably mentioned that number hoping people will think "well that's ok, that's not too many." Of course we know that if this passes, CPW will be sued by the wolfies at every turn of the process. Not enough wolves released each year, not putting them in enough areas, not high enough target population, nothing less than a bazillion wolves is self-sustaining, blah, blah, blah. This will cost way more than the $700k/year they say in the article. The attorneys are drooling all over themselves waiting for a piece of the action.

24-Jan-20
Yep...

24-Jan-20
I just noticed something else that's interesting. That article is from the Colorado Sun. Pulled up the RMWAF website to check it out and lo and behold, there's the Colorado Sun logo right there on the menu bar.

And on another note, did anyone here read, prior to it being certified, the Initiative language that they were passing around for signature? I could swear the petition said funding for the reintroduction and reimbursement for livestock was to come from the wildlife fund. I clicked the link in the article to read the Initiative language again and it says NOT from the wildlife fund. Maybe my CRS is flaring up. ;)

25-Jan-20

25-Jan-20

Ghost425's Link
My link Is not posted properly sorry guys I will try again

25-Jan-20
The link doesn't work but cut and paste does. Good video.

25-Jan-20

Ghost425's Link

26-Jan-20
DO NOT SUPPORT KERRY DONOVAON'S SENATE BILL 20-121. SHE IS FOR THE REINTRODUCTION OF THE WOLF INTO COLORADO. Period!

A BILL FOR AN ACT: Concerning the management of the gray wolf in Colorado, and , in connection therewith, authorizing the REINTRODUCTION OF GRAY WOLVES.

The bill authorizes the management and, if necessary, the reintroduction of the gray wolf in Colorado pursuant to a plan adopted by the park and wildlife commission. The reintroduction is to begin by Dec 31, 2015 but..................

I will try to post this bill asap. Paul

26-Jan-20

Grasshopper's Link
Here is the link.

I am opposed to intro, but the bill may have some "kill pills". It starts out with, "if neccesary". What if it is never neccesary?

It also says suitable habitat. What if they never find suitable habitat?

26-Jan-20
Steve, Here is the issue. This Donovan Bill is pro reintroduction regardless if Ballot Initiative 107 passes or not. If approved by the Colorado Legislature, this bill mandates the reintroduction of the wolf into Colorado and to begin by December 31, 2025. PERIOD!!!! All the other language just confuses the real intent.

It is interesting that the Bill never mentions Initiative 107 as the reason for this.

26-Jan-20
Where is cca at withe bill?

26-Jan-20
The pres has read the bill but has not had a peer meeting to discuss.

26-Jan-20

Glunt@work's Link
New RMEF video on FBook.

26-Jan-20
I disagree with Paul. 20-121 is a preemptive strike to put wolf control back in the hands of the Commission. Could it be better? Sure. But pretty much everyone with a pulse understands and accepts that 107 is going to pass. Thats why CPW is supporting this bill. This at least puts enough variables into the process to allow the CPW be involved to a large degree, and gives them five years to find loopholes to prevent introduction.

If not this bill, then what? A bill exempting CPW and putting all the decisions in the hands of a "citizens advisory panel"? Be careful what you wish for. We learned a hard lesson from the loud "no compromise" voices back during the bear hunting battle. Some of those same loud "no compromise" voices are now leading Stop The Wolf...

27-Jan-20
I'm a "no" at the moment. I need to learn what happens if both of these are enacted and they step on one another. I want zero forced introduction in either form. We will have a bigger population of wolves over the next couple decades without the expense and burden of a mandated, forced introduction.

This bill is the lessor of two evils but not sure it gets rid of the other one. Any help clarifying is appreciated.

I want neither, but I do have a realistic view of our chances with 107.

Does our new confirmed pack help us with keeping 107 from being initiated?

What if this bill and 107 overlap each other?

CPW/CWC has already made the "if necessary" determination and it was a "No". Adding "self-sustaining" likely changes that.

Is there enough room in this bill for CPW to never initiate an introduction and is that the angle CPW sees?

27-Jan-20
Self sustaining would be the subject of lawsuits for decades

27-Jan-20
I would replace "would" with "could". Not sure there is a group on "my" side of the issue with the means and intention of starting and seeing those suits through.

27-Jan-20
I will be working hard as a representative of the Stopthewolf coalition, with the goal to defeat Ballot Initiative 107. There is no doubt that there is a lot going on, out front and behind many closed doors.

What do they say about the fat lady singing?

27-Jan-20
Grasshopper, exactly. Which would delay forcing for decades. By cleverly turning the wording around, this bill appears to put the ball back into CPWs court.

28-Jan-20
Well, I see in this morning's Denver Post that STW is against this bill. We are being offered a compromise that would keep wolf management and decisions in the hands of CPW, gives some "outs" to wolf forcing, gives ranchers and stockmen more of a voice, and won't accept it.

Flashback to '92 and the bear compromise we were offered, to keep fall baiting and hounds in exchange for ending spring hunting.

Some of the same prople running STW helped convince the Commission to reject that compromise and allow voters to decide. We know how that turned out. Deja vu.

28-Jan-20
The more I hear about STW, the more convinced I become my decision to NOT contribute was the correct one. Basically, Todd's response above was give us your money and don't concern yourself with how it's spent, or our strategy. This isn't a football game, this is politics, and this organization doesn't seem to understand how it's played.

Matt

28-Jan-20
Legislation is like making sausage. What goes in one end of the grinder comes out completely different looking on the other end. I wouldn't get to excited about this bill yet. It currently only has one sponsor. Bills rarely ever pass with just one sponsor. No one knows why this bill was even generated. Amendments could be tacked on this bill to make it unbearable.

The enemy is not STW, it is prowolfers.

107 is not a constitutional amendment, it changes CRS. The legislature can change CRS at any time in the future if they deem necessary, and have the votes.

Will 107 pass? Guys seem to think so, but I am going to remain a glass half full guy. If 107 passes, can it be legally challenged? absolutely. If the legislature passes an introduction bill, and 107 fails, wouldn't that be a bummer?

I heard rumor the bill sponsor may have a conference call to explain to conservation orgs just what she was thinking and why we have this bill. No one knows yet who is the wolf wearing sheeps clothing.

I would have expected this bill to have the cattlemen requesting the legislation. That appears not to be the case, and I find that odd. That does not give me peace of mind.

28-Jan-20
I cant get behind this bill at the moment. I also cant fault STW for opposing a wolf introduction bill. I get that it's possible this bill screws up the 107 process, likely delays things and maybe even long enough that we never have to introduce.

But it is a wolf intro bill. I'm watching and will support what my best guess is to get the best (least worst) outcome. Too soon for me.

28-Jan-20
Well, we know there's no chance in hell at getting a "wolf stop" bill passed. That the CPW is behind it tells me they are at least realists about what's happening.

My crystal ball sees 1992 happening all over again, with some of the same players involved. I sure hope I'm wrong.

28-Jan-20
What bothers me about this 20-121 bill is this wording and who is authorized. . "This bill authorizes the management and , if necessary, the reintroduction of the gray wolf in Colorado pursuant to a plan by the Parks and Wildlife Commission".

I would not have an issue if this bill was presented 10 plus years ago when the DOW, (Division of Wildlife) Commission was over seeing Colorado's wildlife.

When the DOW was changed to the CPW (Colorado Parks and Wildlife) my faith in the Commission to represent Colorado's wildlife/hunters diminished some, as half of the Commission was Parks Commission members and I contend that some of these members did not (minimal knowledge) represented Colorado's wildlife as well as in the past.

I have heard recently that the Colorado Governor might be considering changing the makeup of the Commission to represent more Colorado citizens and organizations.

Hard to tell if this happens, just how a future Commission might respond to an issue like this, and then being , "authorized to manage the reintroduction of the gray wolf".

I am still holding my breath on this bill and will wait for more information after this 30 person, conference call, including author, is completed. Paul

28-Jan-20
Thanks, Paul. Since STW refuses to communicate with us, if you could keep us up to date, that would be great. I have concerns as well, but if not CPW to have control, then whom?

28-Jan-20
Just looked at Ballotpedia to re-read the text of 107. It also shows the total expenditures of the supporting groups and groups against the measure. Its not complete obviously but...

Total "for" $1.4 Million

Total "against" $66.00

28-Jan-20
Lou, my concern is the possible future makeup of the Commission who oversees and directs the CPW director and staff.

28-Jan-20
Don, 1.35 million supporting initiative 107

$10,125 against initiative 107

The cost of the Yellowstone/central Idaho wolf project was $200,000 to 1 million dollars per wolf according to a report.

28-Jan-20
Paul, agreed. But who else is going to be legally, realistically tasked with it? The Woolgrowers Association? CBA?

28-Jan-20
If I'm reading them right, in the bill and in 107 the CWC/CPW runs the introduction. They have more say and more time to get ducks in a row with the bill. The finding "new" depredation funding part of the bill is a wild card. Not sure anyone knows what that ends up looking like. Could be a pro-wolf organization steps up or could be some new fee on us or...? In 107 it appears it's from existing State budget. Both require that Colorado has a sustainable wolf population. Neither defines what that means.

In the bill there are two outs. Not finding new funding for depredation payments (TABOR issue?) delays introduction or if wolves populate themselves to the undefined self-sustaining level in 5 years. In 107 the only out is wolves populating themselves in two years, so no real way out of forced introduction.

Throw in lawsuits from either side, USFW listing issues and the bill and 107 both passing, and I really have no idea how this shakes out.

29-Jan-20
Lou, you are correct, the Commission and the CPW staff. Just to make clear, I am not a part of that 30 person conference call with the Senator Donovan to clarify the bill. But I will let you know what I find out.

Don and Lou both, good overviews

I bet the Wolf Project is scrambling.

29-Jan-20
I could be wrong, but it seems the Wolf Project's biggest hurdle will be getting them delisted in Colorado, which is opposite the position of their biggest supporters. No?

If I had any influence with Senator Donavan, I'd suggest she should support keeping them listed, which would be consistent with her base supporter's views and values, while bolstering her standing with conservative hunting voters. Win win for her, politically, and for Colorado hunters, in general.

Matt

29-Jan-20
Keeping them listed in CO helps us. But the total delist being tossed around really helps the upper midwest.

Ideally, an order to delist where they have met numbers takes care of the upper midwest (since they passed that years ago) and keeps them listed here which screws up 107 being implemented.

29-Jan-20
My problem with the bill is what exactly is a "self-sustaining" population? One resident pack? Five packs? 100 Wolves? I also dislike the lack of clarification on the "new source of revenue". So what happens, CPW's hand gets forced and now in order to purchase a tag or fishing license you have to purchase a Habitat Stamp AND a "Wolf Stamp"? Then we get stuck paying for something we fought against? To me there is just too much generalization with the wording of the bill.

29-Jan-20
HeY guys, look this up on Google search. Colorado Legislative Council Staff, INITIAL FISCAL IMPACT STATEMENT. THIS WAS written June 4, 2019. This report is full of generalization and frost over the real cost and impact of the reintroduction, In my opinion. Yea, I know it was written by "nonpartisan services for Colorado's Legislature."

Here is an example, on page 3. : Economic Impact-- Game Species, such as deer and elk MAY become prey for grey wolves, if these wolves are reintroduced. No mention of moose. MAY BECOME PREY. daaaaa.

I am so tired of the SOFT pedaling of this forced reintroduction.

29-Jan-20
Might be several legal points like that Paul.

Not sure if earlier, now, or after the vote is the right time, but legal challenges to the ballot initiative should be at the top of the list for groups fighting this.

I'm assuming the 3-4 groups with more than a few thousand dollars who are against this have already had a lawyer go over things with a fine tooth comb or are in the process.

Lawsuits need to be ready to go the day after the vote.

• Sitka Gear