Orion 18-Mar-20
cnelk 18-Mar-20
Orion 18-Mar-20
cnelk 18-Mar-20
Glunt@work 18-Mar-20
swampokie 18-Mar-20
High&Wide 30-Mar-20
29-Jan-20
Has anybody heard if the CPW is changing the online first come first serve leftover list to fix the bots from buying tags?

29-Jan-20
Yes, I heard this from an employee acquaintance that they will be implementing a picture verification to stop the bots. It is being implemented by the license vendor, who actually runs the system for many states. Hope y'all didn't pay for the app.

It will also be interesting to see how this works during a heavy load of customers.

29-Jan-20
There shouldnt be too many leftovers as there will be a secondary leftover 'draw'. Now if you are talking 're-issue tags' Im glad to see another level of BOT protection.

29-Jan-20
Yeah brad. I was referring to the re-issues. Good to hear they fixed the loophole!

30-Jan-20
Wait, what? You know how many guys said I was full of chit? Ha, if it wasn't happening why is it being addressed?

30-Jan-20
Actually, the simplest fix wouldve been to post the leftover/re-issue list as a .jpeg [instead of a .pdf] which is unreadable to programs. The photo implementation is probably set up for checkout only, which only makes that process manual

30-Jan-20
"Wait, what? You know how many guys said I was full of chit? Ha, if it wasn't happening why is it being addressed? "

O-- you still might be full of chit. I and plenty of folks I know snap up too many good tags that would be popular and ripe for a bot process to grab for there to be bots going all the way through the purchase process. I am in no way faster than a bot but apparently faster than the average person if I am getting coveted tags . So still not believing there are bots logging in purchasers and credit card info as they would have beat people to a lot of tags that went to regular guys with fast fingers.

Show us hard proof of one these so-called bots. I think you were asked a few times to specifically give the details on a bot that we can all see to verify your claims to no avail which means you are just guessing there are but do not KNOW there are,

However, having the captcha process added into the purchase process to slow down the purchase is a good thing. A nice little equalizer. Who has not screwed up on first attempt to complete a captcha and had to restart. Add in trying to hurry for a great tag and the mistakes will increase.

30-Jan-20
cnelk will there be any returned/unpaid for tags on that secondary draw?

30-Jan-20
^^ not sure if the timeline or how that’s gonna work. But my bet is if it’s a draw, you’ll need a qualifying license To participate. No more just buying leftovers (not reissues)

31-Jan-20
+1 KHunter

Scored a handful of good tags with...lots of determination and effort.

31-Jan-20
Yeah I don’t buy it. I lived on the leftover list. I spent hours refreshing at the exact time it published. There were tags that sold out before I had a chance to click over to the cpw page and enter the tag number. And yes I was already logged in and yes I was using my work server which was a T whatever high speed.

I imagine some tags were available but there’s no doubt there was something going on with some of the higher demand tags.

01-Feb-20
I agree. Bots were buying tags. I have seen tags gone in less than 5 seconds. I couldn't even get them into my cart, much less complete the purchase. No one is that fast.

01-Feb-20
Captcha is a great idea, I meant to develop an app last year to compete with leftover watch but life won out, I didn’t write one but I can tell you with 100 percent certainty it is possible and there are probably quite a few people who have a script that was buying up tags.

01-Feb-20

03-Feb-20
Khunter why don't you look at some individuals that were charging big money to robotically buy tags for folks. It was discussed on here at length as well as many other sites. Guys were getting big money for their coding work.

03-Feb-20
Khunter I'm also not going to blast private individuals names on here for the public. Plus if CPW wasnt smart enough to catch them that's their own fault

04-Feb-20
O—, same ole hooey. No, it was not discussed on here at length with even a shred of hard proof. Let’s see the thread and post where actual proof of bots and individuals selling bot services was proven to exist. It was whined about repeatedly with no actual proof is all I ever saw.

04-Feb-20
Like I said yes it was with the exact amount they were charging even the leftover watch guy mentioned it. If it's not happening why is CPW addressing it?

04-Feb-20
Nothing known to man is easier to trigger than Orion.

04-Feb-20
I'd like to see proof that the CPW is actually doing something to prevent the BOTS. Stix's 3rd hand info from an acquaintance isn't really info to hang your hat on. Anyone have any solid evidence of a fix going into place?

04-Feb-20

cnelk's Link
Maybe ask the CPW? See link on how to do that

05-Feb-20
Khunter:

I am a firm believer that where there is a limited supply of "rare" item, someone will devise a system to give them an advantage. In other words, if it is possible to do that, people WILL do that. And then it is a slippery slope with more and more occurences. Is it a big problem yet? I have no idea. But why be opposed to something like this when it is an easy and cheap fix? Do you have stock in companies that are trying to do it? If not, then why are you arguing against it? There are a lot bigger issues to work on than trying to prevent this.

The only reason I can see someone arguing against it is if they are using a system that gives them an advantage currently. Because after the change everyone will have to do one more step. Big deal

05-Feb-20
"Actually, the simplest fix wouldve been to post the leftover/re-issue list as a .jpeg [instead of a .pdf] which is unreadable to programs. "

Nah, we solved that. Look up Optical Character Recognition.

08-Feb-20
Yup, OCR. Used all the time on the interwebs these days.

People using bots to pay is definitely happening. It isn't some conspiracy. These days you can find the code to do this on open source websites. These guys probably aren't paying developers to write this stuff. It is probably their child or relative.

11-Feb-20
Exactly what Ucsdryder and others have said - signed in, refreshed to the second, etc. I remember thinking that it just wasn't humanly possible, each time a tag was gone before I could even get past the hunt code... I hope they can make it fair again.

17-Mar-20

Vanish's embedded Photo
Vanish's embedded Photo
The Captcha is real.

17-Mar-20
^^^ Bingo. They wouldnt have done Captcha if the problem wasnt real - [Or maybe the CPW reads Bowsite]

17-Mar-20
Told ya so.... LOL

17-Mar-20
Some of these dinosaurs on here don't understand technology and how easy it was for people to write code and snatch up tags in nanoseconds.

17-Mar-20
Boom!!! Great news.

17-Mar-20
The "leftover" draw is a crock of chit! Nothing more than a way to hype the tags they cant sell. Go to a real second draw for all the leftovers and reissues. Then it will be a level playing field. Until then im out on the "leftover" fiasco.

18-Mar-20
Swampokie - get a copy of the 2020 regs. Read them and learn about the new Secondary Draw.

18-Mar-20
Most of the re-issues won't be in the secondary draw. The secondary draw is too early it might have a few if any unpaid for tags, but most of the re-issues will still be up for grabs in August and September

18-Mar-20
CPW folks DO read Bowsite. An acquaintance who works for them told me he knows several in his office who log on every morning to read the nonsense.

And I've been checked by two WCOs who recognized my name from Bowsite. That was interesting.

18-Mar-20
It also good to mention that now ANY reissue tags that take 5 or more PPs (not just MSG) will to presented to the next 5 people in line before hitting the reissue list.

I can’t imagine we will be seeing the 76, 61, 10 tags anymore.

I hope it was enjoyed while it lasted.

18-Mar-20
That is not new it has been that way for a couple of years. Still saw 76, 61, and unit 10 tags on the list

18-Mar-20

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
2020 Regs is the only one that has it printed.

18-Mar-20
Your wrong again here it is in the 2017 big game regulations

C O L O R A D O

P A R K S

&

W I L D L I F E

2017 Colorado Big Game APPLICATION DEADLINE: APRIL 4 DEER ELK PRONGHORN MOOSE BEAR

online brochure

cpw.state.co.us

2017 Colorado Big Game Hunting

Online Features

Watch more Colorado Parks and Wildlife videos on our VIMEO & YOUTUBE VIDEO CHANNELS

NEW! CHECK OUT THE 2017

VIDEOS:

STATEWIDE BIG GAME FORECAST

WHAT’S NEW: 2017 BIG GAME

GET UPDATED on the new general regulatory changes to the 2017 Sheep & Goat and Big Game brochures. See this brochure for species- and unit-specific changes.

THE FUTURE OF CONSERVATION

LEARN HOW your license dollars contribute directly to the conservation of wildlife species and outdoor recreation in Colorado.

HUNTER PINK

GET INFORMED about the new hunter pink clothing alternative to fluorescent orange. There's a link to the fact sheet in the video too!

MULE DEER STUDY

MORE ONLINE BIG GAME HUNTING PLANNER

Bull Elk © Jason Duetsch, CPW

The planner is a quick-guide tool for finding season dates, methods of take, species and resident and nonresident license fees for 2017. Use it to easily plan your next hunt!

CLICK FOR THE PLANNER

WATCH CPW terrestrial biologists as they perform their annual inventory studies of Colorado's mule deer during the winter.

2017 Colorado Big Game Hunting CORRECTION LIST click to see post-printing changes

TABLE OF CONTENTS

CPW OFFICE LOCATIONS cpw.state.co.us

2017 What’s New.................................................. 1 Licenses............................................................. 2–7

• Fees; Habitat Stamp; hunter education requirements....................2 • Sale dates; license types and allocations............................................3 • Landowner Preference Program; auction and raffle licenses........4 • Youth hunting rules for all big-game species...............................5–7 • MAPS: Youth deer, elk and pronghorn hunting...........................6–7 • Hybrid draw information........................................................................7

Applications & Preference Points.................. 8–12

• How to apply online.................................................................................8 • Mailing instructions and refunds..........................................................8 • How to read hunt codes and hunt tables...........................................9 • How to fill out applications.......................................................... 10–11 • How preference points work............................................................... 12 • Group hunt instructions; license draw results................................ 12

Field Information & Reference.................... 13–18

• Identification chart of big-game species......................................... 13 • Legal hunting hours; sunrise/sunset table...................................... 14 • Shed hunting; Ranching for Wildlife; guides and outfitters; dream hunts; harvest surveys................... 14 • Conservation information; chronic wasting disease facts............. 15 • Hunter-orange, -pink clothing requirements; GPS tips; OHV use; field-dressing tutorial........................................ 15 • Legal methods of take; legal firearms............................................... 16 • Illegal activities........................................................................................17 • Bag limits; attaching carcass tags; evidence of sex....................... 17 • Residency requirements; hunters with disabilities.......................... 18 • Transporting and donating meat...................................................... 18 • Accidental kills: what to do, who to contact................................... 18

Deer............................................................... 19–31 • Need to know tips; season dates........................................................ 19 • Preference point hunt code; List A, B, C licenses............................. 19 • Hunt codes........................................................................................ 20–31 • Season Choice license hunt codes..................................................... 29 • MAP: Over-the-counter whitetail-only hunts......................................30 • Whitetail-only identification; hunt codes................................. 30–31

Elk.................................................................. 32–47 • Need to know tips; season dates........................................................ 32 • Preference point hunt code; antler point restrictions................... 32 • List A, B, C licenses.................................................................................. 33 • MAP: Over-the-counter antlerless archery hunts...............................34 • MAP: Over-the-counter either-sex archery hunts...............................35 • MAP: Over-the-counter 2nd, 3rd season rifle hunts..................... 36 • MAP: Over-the-counter plains rifle hunts....................................... 37 • Hunt codes........................................................................................ 37–47

Pronghorn..................................................... 48–52 • Need to know tips; season dates........................................................ 48 • Preference point hunt code; List A, B, C licenses............................. 48 • MAP: Over-the-counter archery hunts............................................ 49 • Hunt codes........................................................................................ 50–52

Moose............................................................ 53–55

• Need to know tips; mandatory inspections; season dates................. 53 • Preference point hunt code; List A, B, C licenses............................ 53 • Hunt codes........................................................................................ 54–55

Bear................................................................ 56–59

• Need to know tips; mandatory inspections; season dates................. 56 • Preference point hunt code; List A, B, C licenses............................. 56 • Hunt codes........................................................................................ 57–58 • Over-the-counter with caps; concurrent rifle hunts............... 58–59

Land............................................................... 60–65

• Land closures; special use restrictions; STL access program......... 60 • Game management unit (GMU) descriptions......................... 61–64 • MAP: CWD and GMU map.................................................................. 65

ADMINISTRATION 1313 Sherman St., #618 Denver, 80203

303-297-1192

ONLY the offices below can assist hunters with animal checks and taking samples that are related to hunting activities. See the CPW website for a complete list of our parks locations that can also sell licenses, issue duplicate licenses and accept licenses for refunds. BRUSH (closed until further notice) 122 E. Edison Brush, 80723 970-842-6300

GRAND JUNCTION 711 Independent Ave. Grand Junction, 81505 970-255-6100

MONTE VISTA 0722 S. Road 1 E. Monte Vista, 81144 719-587-6900

COLORADO SPRINGS 4255 Sinton Road Colorado Springs, 80907 719-227-5200

GUNNISON 300 W. New York Ave. Gunnison, 81230 970-641-7060

MONTROSE 2300 S. Townsend Ave. Mont rose, 81401 970-252-6000

DENVER 6060 Broadway Denver, 80216 303-291-7227

HOT SULPHUR SPRINGS 346 Grand County Rd. 362 Hot Sulphur Springs, 80451 970-725-6200

PUEBLO 600 Reservoir Road Pueblo, 81005 719-561-5300

LAMAR 2500 S. Main St. Lamar, 81052 719-336-6600 MEEKER FORT COLLINS 73485 Hwy. 64 317 W. Prospect Road Meeker, 81641 Fort Collins, 80526 970-472-4300 970-878-6090 DURANGO 151 E. 16th St. Durango, 81301 970-247-0855

SALIDA 7405 Hwy. 50 Salida, 81201 719-530-5520 STEAMBOAT SPRINGS 925 Weiss Dr. Steamboat Springs, 80487 970-870-2197

GLENWOOD SPRINGS 0088 Wildlife Way Glenwood Springs, 81601 970-947-2920

GET THE BROCHURE ONLINE: cpw.state.co.us/BG/Brochure Printed for free distribution by

COLORADO PARKS AND WILDLIFE (CPW) 6060 Broadway, Denver, CO 80216 303-297-1192 cpw.state.co.us

Editor: Chelsea Harlan Cover photo © Cornelius Doppes Printed Jan. 2017 by Publication Printers, Denver. 605,000 copies. Printing paid for with hunting and fishing license fees. Colorado Parks and Wildlife Director: Robert Broscheid The Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission members are (as of November 2016): James Pribyl, Chair • John Howard, Jr., Vice Chair • Michelle Zimmerman, Secretary • Robert W. Bray • Chris Castilian • Jeanne Horne • Bill Kane • Dale Pizel • James Vigil • Dean Wingfield • Alex Zipp • Don Brown, ex-officio member • Bob Randall, ex-officio member • Robert Broscheid, CPW Director CPW receives federal financial assistance from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. In accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the U.S. Department of the Interior and its bureaus prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability or sex. NOTE: Laws and regulations in this brochure are paraphrased for easier understanding and are intended only as a guide. Complete Colorado wildlife statutes and regulations are available at CPW offices listed above and online at cpw.state.co.us/Regulations.

2017 WHAT’S NEW

2017 Colorado Big Game Hunting

!

UPDATE YOUR » CPW LICENSING SYSTEM CHANGES... CPW is in the process of transitioning to an upgraded licensing, pass, registration INFORMATION and reservation system in 2017/18. All customers will need to have an individual email address and password to apply for or Please take a moment to correct purchase CPW products with the new system; make sure your contact information and email are correct now when you apply your phone, email and mailing for your license. CPW is also in the process of going paperless for hunting license applications in 2018. The final year for address information while applying or buying this year. paper hunting license applications is 2017. Find more information on our website soon: cpw.state.co.us/CPWshop cpw.state.co.us/UpdateInfo

» CHANGES TO LICENSE REFUND, REISSUE AND EXCHANGE POLICIES... All license exchanges will be charged a fee of fifty percent of the cost of the original license, not to exceed $25. Read the license exchange policy in full at cpw.state.co.us/LCPolicy. Changes to CPW license refunds and reissues became effective April 2016: hunters who need to refund a license will have to do so at least 30 days prior to the start of the season for which the license is valid. Most licenses that have been returned will be made available to the public on the leftover license sales list (cpw.state.co.us/Leftover): 2017 LICENSE REISSUE POLICY ? Any license that is returned to CPW that took 5 or more preference points to draw will be manually reissued to the next eligible person based on the residency status of the returned license. » If a resident license gets returned, it will be reissued to a resident; if a nonresident license gets returned, it will be reissued to a nonresident. ? For each license returned, CPW will contact the next 5 people from the current year’s draw order. ? If one of those individuals accepts the license from the manual reissue process, all of that person’s preference points will be used. ? If a person has a current conflicting license for that species, they may exchange their current license for the one being offered. » The exchange fee will be assessed, which is fifty percent of the cost of the original license, not to exceed $25. ? If none of those 5 people accept the license from the manual reissue process, it will be placed onto the leftover list at random intervals. ? Any license that is returned to CPW that took fewer than 5 preference points to draw will automatically be placed onto the leftover list at random intervals. ? Customers who obtain a license from the leftover list will NOT have to use their preference points. CPW will be making additional adjustments to the license refund, reissue and exchange policies in 2017. Check our website for the most up-to-date information: cpw.state.co.us/refunds » MANDATORY CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE (CWD) TESTING IN SELECT GMUs... In order to better gauge the presence of CWD in select deer herds, CPW will require mandatory submission of CWD test samples from some hunter-harvested bucks and does during the 2017 archery, muzzleloader and rifle seasons. Any notified hunter that harvests a deer in the hunts specified (pages 19–28) will be required to present their deer for testing at a CPW facility. There will be no charge for this mandatory testing. Get more information about where and how to sumbit a CWD sample at cpw.state.co.us/bg/CWD. » BIG GAME NOW INCLUDED IN WALK-IN ACCESS PROGRAM (WIA)... CPW is initiating a pilot big game access component within the Walk-In Access Program for 2017 that will allow public access to some WIA properties for deer, elk and pronghorn hunting, within season dates of Sept. 1–Dec. 31. Information on specific enrolled properties will first be available in the Walk-In Access brochure, out in Aug. 2017. Also check our website at cpw.state.co.us/wia. » THE DEFINITION OF HUNTING OVER BAIT HAS BEEN EXPANDED... Hunting big game over bait, whether or not the person hunting over such bait personally placed the bait, is against the law. See page 17 for more details.

» BOUNDARY CHANGES TO UNITS 16 & 27... The unit boundaries for game management units 16 and 27 have changed. See page 61 for descriptions. » HUNTER PINK AN ALTERNATIVE TO HUNTER ORANGE... It is now legal for hunters to wear solid fluorescent pink clothing as an alternative to solid daylight fluorescent orange garments. This law applies to those who take deer, elk, pronghorn, moose or black bear with any firearm. Private Ranching for Wildlife hunters hunting with archery equipment are not required to wear fluorescent orange or pink, although they may wish to consider wearing it if concerned about visibility to other hunters. Read the fact sheet at cpw.state.co.us/thingstodo/ Pages/Hunt.aspx. » EXEMPTIONS TO HUNTER EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS... There is a

18-Mar-20
Thanks for that. Always helpful. Sort of. :)

18-Mar-20
Someone broke the internet

18-Mar-20
ORION said it better than I. I meant most of the tags that "bots" may or may not be snagging will be available long after the "Secondary" draw has been held. The tags that r in the "secondary" draw will be for the most part garbage. Them being a part of a "secondary" draw surely makes them seem more important.

30-Mar-20
I was looking at draw stats this weekend on the CPW site and there is a survey you can take about the license re-issue process. It's in the Big Game section and is a little lengthy but at the end you can make comments. There's a limit to the number of respondent's it will accept.

• Sitka Gear