Sitka Gear
did we really go a 7d w/o a saddle thrd?
Massachusetts
Contributors to this thread:
hickstick 30-Jan-20
Will 30-Jan-20
peterk1234 30-Jan-20
hickstick 30-Jan-20
peterk1234 30-Jan-20
Will 30-Jan-20
bigwoodsbucks22 30-Jan-20
peterk1234 30-Jan-20
bigwoodsbucks22 31-Jan-20
Huntskifishcook 31-Jan-20
Will 31-Jan-20
hickstick 31-Jan-20
Jebediah 31-Jan-20
MA_Bowhunter 31-Jan-20
Jebediah 31-Jan-20
hickstick 31-Jan-20
NDH 31-Jan-20
Jebediah 31-Jan-20
NDH 01-Feb-20
Jebediah 01-Feb-20
Jebediah 01-Feb-20
Huntskifishcook 01-Feb-20
Jebediah 01-Feb-20
peterk1234 01-Feb-20
Huntskifishcook 01-Feb-20
Jebediah 01-Feb-20
peterk1234 01-Feb-20
Jebediah 01-Feb-20
peterk1234 01-Feb-20
Will 03-Feb-20
30-Jan-20

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
Ha Ha HA...sorry, couldn't resist.....

30-Jan-20
Saddle, saddle, saddle saddle... :)

30-Jan-20
I did a practice climb yesterday in the yard to further test my strap and cam setup and to test the WE Step/Bullman ring of step setup. I added another Bullman to the strap, giving me six Bullmans plus the WE Step. What is slick about this is I can put a pair of Bullmans side by side for most of the trees I climb. This creates a nice wide step and helps to stabilize them. Looks to be a very effective platform.

There, now you have a legit discussion :)

Pete

Off topic: Deer got hit on my street at 6am today. Wife called as she was driving by and tells me to go get it (now that is a cool wife). I went to see if everyone was okay, waited for the police and happily took the deer home. Dressed it immediately and it is hanging in the garage. Will butcher soon. Love the look on people's face when you volunteer to haul a deer away. So my 2020 season is off to a good start.

30-Jan-20
I was so bummed yesterday Pete....a guy on Boston Bowhunter posted giving away 17 Ameristeps with straps, free. I was the first to contact him but he was way out in Montague and I couldn't get there fast enough.

30-Jan-20
Wow.... i know they lost some value due to the squirrel steps but that is still worth a few bucks.

30-Jan-20
Oh man, wish I'd seen that on BBH, I'd have made the trip, those were great.

30-Jan-20
I got 2 issues with the ring of steps, but, I have not used a ring of steps outside of practice so maybe you guys can chime in... 1) you cant stand up, thus taking pressure off the saddle so that you can add layers and tuck them into the saddle. 2) you cant turn and put your back against the tree to make an easy shot at your 3 o'clock.

30-Jan-20
Bigwoods, you can absolutely stand up. I use a Ropeman on my tether so I just snug it up to give me a bit of support if I need to stand. I have used a ring of steps for the past two seasons. I love it, and consider it the essence of saddle hunting. As for a weak side shot, I never understand why anyone would want to do a 360 degree turn on a tiny platform to take a that shot. First, I am set up so that the likelihood of that shot is extremely low. Second, I have two ways to take that shot. If I am not suffering from cold weather muscle atrophy, I just draw from the weak side. If cold is an issue, I draw from my strong side and just swing the drawn bow over my bridge.

Platforms are very popular right now for saddle hunting. I just see it as a bunch of unnecessary bulk. I must admit though, I am mostly a sitter. I think sitters in general do not like platforms.

I am really looking forward to getting together with you guys soon. A lot of great ideas and methods are being use out there. We need to share our ideas and try things that others are using. Pete

31-Jan-20
I gotta trust you on this one Pete. Looking forward to meeting up soon as seeing more about this. I think these saddle meet ups are just as beneficial to people that already saddle hunt as they are people looking to get into it! Im particularly interested in seeing the newer climbing methods.

31-Jan-20
I'm with Pete on this one, I found the platform restrictive. I don't use a true ring of steps, just one step on either side of my top stick. I fluctuate between sitting and leaning, and sitting wasn't possible with the platform. I also really like to be able to step around the tree when necessary. This years get together should be good with more of us in saddles and some with another full year of experience.

31-Jan-20
Show's I'm a rookie, I was thinking they would just be a fairly light and adaptable tool to get to height. Not hard to do when that's only 8 feet :) ha ha ha!

Forgot they could have been a "ring of steps" for a "platform".

31-Jan-20
yea Will....they were pretty much the 'only' non screw-in ROS available, until Andrew got the Stepp Ladder patent from Jim Stepp and started to make them under Wild Edge. then, for some reason Ameristep stopped making them.

I am keeping some Original Stepp Ladder steps to use as ROS but I can't imagine not hunting from a platform. its so much more comfortable than ROS. I was only interested in getting them from Rob to add a couple onto my platform strap to make it a little easier to 'walk around' the tree.

31-Jan-20

Jebediah's embedded Photo
Jebediah's embedded Photo
I realize that amsteel is supposed to be spliced, and not knotted. But I tied a knot like this (picture) with it, and it seems not to slip. I would not suggest that anyone bet their life on it, but it is interesting.

31-Jan-20
That knot is a figure-8 on a bight. I can't imagine that slipping. Did someone suggest it would?

31-Jan-20
No, I just have been led to believe from my reading that this amsteel wouldn’t really hold any knot well. Never touched this stuff before about 3 weeks ago.

31-Jan-20
MAbowhunter. Amsteel is hollow and super slick. Knots tend to roll with it, so like jeb says, it's not recommended.

31-Jan-20
Jeb, in another thread you’re running double tethers at the top of the tree and in this one we’re suggesting knotting Amsteel. Your risk tolerance has me all kinds of confused.

31-Jan-20
Nope. Knotted amsteel for dragging tree trunks, on the ground, for firewood. Like I said, wouldn’t recommend anyone bet their life on it. Risk tolerance is consistent, and low.

01-Feb-20
Got it. I would agree, perfectly ok for dragging firewood!

01-Feb-20
Well, I imagine the Bowsite world had trouble sleeping last night wondering how this would work out. For what it’s worth, I moved one trunk just now (maybe 30 foot trunk, dead ash, so not too heavy, as trees go), and that knot held up ok. Regardless, still not suggesting that it be used for anything where failure would be bad.

01-Feb-20
Also, unrelated to slipping, I think I read that this rope is especially compromised, strength-wise, by kinks, like kinks introduced by a knot. But I’m no expert. I’m just a cut-rate player in a low-budget band. Ten thousand Bowsite points to anyone who gets that. I’m almost out of Bowsite points.

01-Feb-20
What diameter amsteel is considered standard for hunting applications? I just went to order some and didn't realize there were so many options.

01-Feb-20
I believe 1/4 inch is what is the bridge that comes with mantis saddle. Did you look at the 6-inch diameter break strength? Something like 3 million pounds. Pretty amazing.

01-Feb-20
I have been using the same 1/4 inch amsteel bridge for two seasons. I spliced and lock stitched both loops. I have no plans to replace it this year.

It is a hollow braid and the material is slick. I suppose you can knot but you are compromising strength unnecessarily because it is very easy to splice. If you insist on knotting it, I would definitely lock stitch the thing.

I believe the newest bridge by thethrd that is adjustable uses a full length splice, so you get two full lengths of quarter inch amsteel as part of the system.

If you do not want to splice, a good double braid will fit the bill, as will tubular webbing.

01-Feb-20
Pete, I'm going off the deep end. My first two seasons my only mod was putting ropes on my steps, but I'm going to learn to splice and I just pulled the sewing machine from the basement, which has never been used.

Thanks, Jeb. Given your risk tolerance are you using double teathers of the 3 million pound stuff?

01-Feb-20
Yes my rig now weights north of a hundred pounds.

01-Feb-20
HFC, oh boy.... The sewing machine opens up a whole new world. Not just for saddle hunting.

It is a great skill to possess.

01-Feb-20
Does this type of sewing require a special machine, or regular sewing machine? And I assume a particular type of thread is required?

01-Feb-20
Jeb, I bought the Singer heavy duty 4452. It is inexpensive. Your first saddle project more than covers the cost. BTW, I knew (and still don't) nothing about sewing.

Just a few of my projects so far have included the following:

Three sitdrag type saddles Fleece Blankets Fleece gun socks Dog sweaters lightweight camping tarps Straps for steps WE Step bag mods Rifle shooting rests Insulating thing for bottom of a door Multiple Knaiders and Swaiders Arrow holder/belt for 3D

03-Feb-20
HFSC - I love that idea, 2 x million pound tethers... and I could add one as a spare bridge. This is sounding awesome! Does a biner fit around the million pound stuff? :)

• Sitka Gear