spike78 05-Feb-20
Jebediah 05-Feb-20
fran 05-Feb-20
Will 05-Feb-20
Snowshoe 05-Feb-20
fran 06-Feb-20
05-Feb-20

hickstick's Link
Second highest on record with 13,921 total. they are saying the deep snow on opening shotgun drastically reduced numbers.

05-Feb-20
I think the extended eastern season, and guys making use of extra antlerless tags really has bolstered numbers. That said, it may be that a rebound of sorts is taking place, given many western zones where the season and antlerless tags are not super long or abundant showed bumps over the "record" year in 2018.

Maybe we are about to enter a modern renaissance regarding deer numbers state numbers of deer. I can certainly admit I saw a lot of animals last year, and while my Z6 friends felt it was still pretty slow, they did feel they were seeing more than the past 5-10 years. So... Maybe we are about to enter a mini golden age here. Which would be cool.

05-Feb-20
Nope, brings us to: should the western zones open 2 weeks earlier like the eastern zones and could we please hunt Sundays.

Both would further increase deer kill assuming that is needed, both are broadly wished for by hunters who enjoy all seasons, both increase opportunity to get afield.

If the numbers are to high, lets get more time afield and see if we can "solve" this "problem" via the effective and enjoyed means at our current disposal.

05-Feb-20
Interesting, with the abundance of acorns I would have guessed a lower harvest, but I was amazed at the number of deer I saw this year. The lower shotgun harvest makes sense. I spent a bunch of days bow hunting a state forest that gets pounded during shotgun and I only recall two sets of boot tracks leaving the main trails.

05-Feb-20
I will happily take Sundays. But, I'd be willing to forego Sundays it that meant we didn't have to return to the x-bow discussion...

05-Feb-20
HSFC...the abundance of acorns was location specific...much of the state (where gypsy moths were bad in previous years), were devoid of acorns this year.

05-Feb-20
I am. I'm totally prejudiced. Sometimes, one needs to stand for a principle they believe to be valid. I am hard wired to see shades to gray that yield nuance in situations. That may not always be right - I'm sure it is not. Hell, I'm a frigging dolt in a lot of areas and ways. Even in the areas I know a lot, there are many who know massive amounts more. I spend a lot of time trying to learn from them... And from those who have different ideas so that I can either affirm or challenge my beliefs and hopefully elevate my understanding. Still doesn't mean I'm always right. No chance of that. For anyone. I think the beginners mind, is a really valuable tool.

The "How" in question, is 100% subjective. You may feel any and everything should be legal. In which case, cool. Because I'd love to deer hunt with a 50cal sniper rifle or perhaps a minigun, blow gun, grenade or what not. I see no reason why I should not be able to, so, I say no to xbows, but yes to 50cals. they could kill deer just as nicely if not more so than xbows. There are a million different firearm options, and we can only use specific shotguns and ML's. Why cant I use a 10ga. or a .410 for deer. I'd like to, just imagine the slug that would rumble down the barrel of a 10ga. We should be pushing for all of those as well. I know a lot of guys who own different firearms, manufacturers make them, why can't we use whatever we want? Safety is one, but likewise, hunting deer with a mingun could be viewed as less sporting to some, so it creates a subjective challenge. Is a minigun cool, or just 12 - 20ga shotguns? Those sound like strawman arguments, so maybe they are just lame. I dont know.

Maybe better would just be to shorten the whole season to 4 weeks and allow all weapons 7 days a week. It's all about the ends, killing enough deer, so the "How" doesnt matter, so that idea seems cool. We all get a chance and the total numbers likely go up with 4 weeks of SG's in the woods. Even steven. So all good.

Look. I have ZERO issue with xbow's. NONE. I believe anyone who can not for some reason use a vert bow (and I have friends I feel are genuinely great folks who use Xbows) should have the chance. I think should they heal, they should be able to go back to the vert bow. And they (xbows) should fall under the lesser weapon law and be legal during firearms seasons.

But given us killing deer is entirely a subjective thing, not a "right" so to speak and that we are regulated such that different seasons both are there to provide opportunity and enjoyment while serving the purpose of helping sustain a healthy ecosystem... I'm fine with things as is.

Now, if the good folks of the commonwealth push and manage to get xbows for all during all seasons, well, the people have spoken. Ill be bummed out, disappointed, and hope that my fears are proven wrong once the luster of this new weapon for many mutes a bit.

It's ok for their to be limits, and for folks to have different ideas of where those are.

I dont mind if others feel differently.

If my "way" doesnt workout and the state rules are changed, Ill survive and happily go about my way enjoying the deer woods. While I love deer hunting, its, um, just deer hunting.

I'm ok with that. I'm flexible.

05-Feb-20
Yes to opening zones 1-4, 2 weeks earlier. No does the first 2 weeks, cut 2 weeks off the end of muzzleloader. To many pregnant does getting wiped out in the deer yards with random zone permits !

05-Feb-20
Pi, QDMA clearly states to kill the young of the year does to balance a herd. I've ignored the crossbow issue, but !

05-Feb-20
I would take Sundays over earlier season.

05-Feb-20
Will, not sure back in the hay day zone 7 where I live took over 800 a year. Zone 3 used to be the zone to hunt back then as well.

05-Feb-20
I’d like Sundays, reduced setback, large fries, and a vanilla milkshake. And a side of detailed discussion about evolution/creation.

05-Feb-20
Pi, You just can't let it go. LOL.

05-Feb-20
Pi, I'm sorry to be so confusing. Ill try and clear up my view on it one more time so we can let crossbow's die and move back to fun things like MA deer numbers - spike had a good point there - swinging in the trees and what not.

The issue of allowing, or not, xbows during the regular archery season is opinion (for you, me, and any of us). My opinion, is different from yours, in that I'm happy with the current situation, but would like to see folks able to go back to vert bows should health allow, and I would be happy to see them used under the lesser weapon law through out our gun seasons. in my OPINION, that allows folks who need or want to use them, the chance to use them. But it sustains the special season status of archery season. That is my opinion, and has zero to do with slavery, Adam Schiff, impeachment, corona virus's or anything else. It's an OPINION about MA crossbow use.

The point I was attempting to make through out this thread, clearly poorly, was that we are discussing our opinions. I believe mines good. But I'm open to the reality that others have equally valid ideas. That includes yours. I also admit, I may change my mind as additional information appears and I learn more in the future.

I appreciate that you have a different, opinion. That's great. I'm sure many others have the same opinion. That's also great.

I'm not trying to change your, or any one's mind... I'm just trying to better elucidate my view on crossbow use here in MA.

Hopefully that clears it up.

Last thing, should the rule change, yep, Ill be bummed based on how I see this issue. You know what, that's ok! It's ok to be bummed when something you believe or want doesn't workout how you hoped. An overly simple example: my daughter studied her butt off for a spelling test, and missed one word, I think I felt sadder for her than she did. That's normal human behavior. I wanted her to ace it, she had worked hard, but didnt quite get there. That bummed me out. Then I moved on, and helped her with the new set of spelling words that came home. Who knows how that test will go... but I know she will keep building good habits related to hard work and resilience, so it's all good long term. That's a small disappointment, but a nice little thing that shows how I feel about things not working out how I hoped. If crossbows become legal, Ill be fine.

05-Feb-20
Dam some of you are long winded

06-Feb-20
So true Pi you are entertaining.

• Sitka Gear