peterk1234 06-Feb-20
Jebediah 06-Feb-20
Will 06-Feb-20
Huntskifishcook 06-Feb-20
DanaC 06-Feb-20
peterk1234 07-Feb-20
Will 07-Feb-20
06-Feb-20
Each year I try and donate to a few conservation focused groups, not all noted below in one year, but a few.

I was writing a check to Trout Unlimited today, and it got me thinking about the conservation orgs out there doing good work for the resources we all enjoy. TU is great, and I've seen some awesome work from NWTF, DU, TTOR and RMEF as well. BHA and PLF look to be doing good work as well protecting public land and access to that land. State fish and wildlife agencies also do great by us - land purchases and all. There are likely other orgs doing good things, What other org's out there should I look into supporting when I am able to? Suggestions or ideas from what you have seen/experienced? These could be more local as well - there are many small local land trusts and what not doing a great job of securing land we can hunt and fish on at a local level that few hear about, East Quabbin Land Trust being a great example. So others like that are welcome too.

Stay safe in the snow/ice today folks.

06-Feb-20
I am a land Steward for New England Forestry Foundation and Sudbury Valley Land Trust. SVT is more the tree hugger hunter hater types, although I think the entity itself understands the balance. NEFF however is fully supportive of the use of their lands. I really like NEFF. They even have a big hunting advocate on their Board.

Pete

06-Feb-20
Pete SVT and NEFF both get two thumbs-up. If you can find it, there’s a map of properties protected by Sudbury Valley Trustees that is very impressive. This is a pretty local organization. Many of their parcels are tiny, as I recall, but they add up, and on the map it is apparent that these properties provide corridors for wildlife that would otherwise have a tougher time moving around. NEFF says right on their website that they welcome hunting (with a few exceptions) on their properties, which tend to be kind of enormous. And they preserve these properties in a sensible way, which includes some logging operations. Will, I gather that TTOR is now calling itself “The Trustees.” No change to the mission, it seems, just the name. Also there is Mass Audubon, although I wish they allowed more hunting on their gazillion of acres.

06-Feb-20
Guys - thank you. Those are good. I'd forgotten about both! SVT land protects a couple wild / native brook trout populations and has worked with TU on that front a bit. That would be a good local one. NEFF I should remember given occasionally I hunt some of their land in my area! I'd entirely forgotten them, THANK YOU!

06-Feb-20
I'm a member of both BHA and NWTF, both of which you mentioned and are doing great work. Now that I think about it I should probably be involved in some sort of salt water fishing organization, preferably striped bass focused, any suggestions?

I'm also a member of a super local land trust that also happens to allow hunting in a sea of no hunting towns. Pretty sweet to have that 10 minutes down the road.

06-Feb-20
Member of TU and RGS - Ruffed Grouse Society, which promotes active forest management to improve habitat for wildlife.

07-Feb-20
Nice to see people supporting these organizations.

Pete

07-Feb-20
HSFC: Stripers Forever. They do good work. I'd totally forgotten about them, sadly. So I'm glad you asked, as it reminded me! https://www.stripersforever.org/ That's a good one, especially given the challenges the striped bass are facing as a species right now!

Dana -I didnt know about the RGS. Going to check them out and consider them. Grouse habitat is good for many species!

Pete - I agree. It's awesome to see folks supporting groups like these! I'm thinking of making a list, excel or something, and saving it so I can donate. I do some annually, like TU, but some of these others, I could add in via some rotation based on that year's budget.

Really appreciate the ideas guys!

• Sitka Gear