Jebediah 10-Feb-20
Cougar 11-Feb-20
hickstick 11-Feb-20
Let's Go 11-Feb-20
Let's Go 11-Feb-20
Snowshoe 11-Feb-20
Arrownoob 12-Feb-20
09-Feb-20
I bought some minerals and made a 4’x4’ patch in a buck nest. There is pretty good sign there. Put my camera up on Jan 3 up like 12-15 feet. I walked by feb 5. Collected camera today. There’s photos from Jan 3, feb 5, and none from today. I’m thinking it was too far? Anyone have success w raised cameras and what is the secret? I’m pretty annoyed. And it’s weird feb 5 I triggered it but today I didn’t.

09-Feb-20
Your next purchase should be a safety harness.

09-Feb-20
Okay okay that’s 6” off the ground. See the angle of shot? I thought I deleted that before posting hence no comments about it whoops.

09-Feb-20
FYI - accidentally put a picture up of my 8 year old on my climber. I changed my mind due to privacy concerns, and unsure of how geo tagging works. Anyway, he didn't have a safety harness on I had him shimmy up to 6" off the ground. Any the thread was supposed to be about cameras, curious "how far is too far" when it comes to cameras.

09-Feb-20
My last 200 Bowsite points to anyone who delivers a magic bullet for this. I have same problem. In my case, I know there are monster bucks coming through every day, but camera never takes a picture. Set it high, low, upside-down, sideways, it won’t take pictures of these bucks. Squirrels, raccoons, coyotes all day long. But it won’t photograph the big bucks.

09-Feb-20
I have a similar problem, big buck won’t trip my cameras either? Almost ghost like

09-Feb-20
Wat kind of camera not that it matters. Cameras are finicky sometimes. If it’s a cheap ($100 brand) it just may be a lemon. Had Bushnell that acted like once. Tossed it.

09-Feb-20
Sometimes I think cameras do better if I put fresh batteries in them, even if initial ones aren’t dead. I guess I’m not sure how much good it does, but it’s the only tool in my toolbox.

09-Feb-20
I'm terrible at every aspect of using cams, but mine seem to do better when set to burst mode, 3 pics taken for every trigger of the cam.

09-Feb-20
So. Details. Batteries were low when I put it up. 3/5 bars. When I collected the camera still 3/5 bars I was surprised. I believe the angle results in fewer pictures, too. Plus with 2 obstacles I only had 4/5 of a frame. Maybe the motion outside the frame activates camera too? I wanted it a little farther and hidden to not spook the deer and maybe try to see if humans were there. Strangely my feb 5th walk triggered it, but we spent some time posing today and not one picture. It was on 3 burst. Model: https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/eyecon-crossfire-7mp-invisi-flash-trail-game-camera-camo?a=1921708

I’m thinking to try: New batteries Lower angle and closer. At this point I’ve collected the camera anyway so I’ll put it out in July. The spot seems great I hope I can hunt it in the fall.

10-Feb-20
I'm 6'6".I stand on a stump and on my toes to reach my cameras so probably 8-9' up,block is 20-25' away.no problems with pics. The higher up the less picture "cone", farther back the less pictures triggered.you have to find the happy medium.the cold affects the cameras and batteries a lot so I try to place mine so the sun hits warms the back of it.

10-Feb-20
Hate to be the one addressing the elephant in the room but... reading all the different reviews about this trail cam. Seems to be a cheap POS. The old saying just might apply here. You get what you pay for. Try putting a good camera up next to it and then take a couple strolls in front of it. See what happens then

10-Feb-20
Dfa I’m not offended. Camera is not expensive but has proven itself in the past. It’s old too and that probably doesn’t help. I’d prefer a cheap camera that doesn’t work perfectly than a $300 one that gets stolen and makes me cry. I have some pretty nice gear but everything nice comes home with me and gets locked up. This is public land, too, tons of people walking around in there.

10-Feb-20
I hear ya there wapiti I had a stand stolen 4 or 5 years ago I'm still crying and looking for clues to that ass hat . I just purchased my first cams ever 4 for 80 bucks and my son paid half . I will not elevate them but I assure you they will b hidden and put on with bailing wire

10-Feb-20
I hear ya !!! I have found that you only get a year or two at the most from the cheaper trail cams then it’s a crap shoot if they work consistently or not. I would buy and put up another one and make sure the batteries are brand new. See what happens

10-Feb-20
I have had good luck with elevated cameras from a theft perspective. But the idea that they dont look up at them? That has not panned out for me. I see them often in pics looking up.

I've not had one go cold, though I tend to leave them 2 weeks max most of the time, so perhaps they would if I left them. I just go up 10-12 feet.

10-Feb-20
It could also be due to the cold freezing the cam. I also found out that a cam of mine when it gets below 50% battery life it doesn’t always catch pics.

10-Feb-20
I bought aircraft cable at tractor supply- the vinyl covered one. They have these aluminum crimps you can put on. It’s 500lb wire. That with a padlock up a tree has been working. Either that or all he thieves that come by with steps and bolt cutters know my camera is a piece of sh:t and they leave it there!

10-Feb-20
Spike def has a good point...some cameras are better then others are cold temps.I only run energizer lithium batteries in winter, reg alkaline don't work well in the cold. do you have it tilted down towards the travel route? or is it a 10 feet and pointing straight ahead. I'll sometimes wedge a broken branch behind the top of the cam to give it a little tilt.

10-Feb-20
Pi that’s an interesting idea but it sort of violates the screw-step rule. Hick my camera has a hinge I just adjust it pointing down and tighten a screw. I’ll probably put it back up in July maybe. No use leaving it out there in feb-June.

10-Feb-20
That hinge is your problem. Get rid of the hinge and just shove a stick behind it to adjust the angle. Instant big bucks, guaranteed.

11-Feb-20
2 climbing stick and ur harness w a line mans belt. Keep it above the sight line of other humans to make it far less likely to walk away

11-Feb-20
yup...as I said above...if you have like lone wolf, muddy pro, hawk heliums sticks, or such, just bring one or two of those and a linemans (I bring my saddle)

11-Feb-20

Let's Go's embedded Photo
Here are my Camera set ups. I break out a few more bucks and buy the security cages for my cameras and for my new wireless modem. A bicycle cable and a few master locks, all keyed alike finish it off. I use the same locks on my ladder stands in place of the pins and use a heavy bike cable to secure the stand to the tree. One more heavy bike cable travels with my climber and secures that to the bottom of the tree when I leave it out. I put my cameras on a tree that is up a slight hill so it pans out and down. If I can't get that set up I carry out a milk crate and use that to get up the tree a few feet higher. Good luck, Let's Go

11-Feb-20

Here is the solo camera with security cage. Let's Go

11-Feb-20
Buck bucks learn where they are how i don't know but they will walk around them i set them chest high usually 2 or 3 in same area what one camera missed the other ones get the flash at nite tips them off so all my cameras go on vedieo they eat battery's but i get what I'm looking for nothing to do with height it's the flash and they will learn real quick where that camera is just my 2 cents

12-Feb-20
I have noticed for sure first seven days massive activity. Deer coming right up to the thing for a sniff. Then sometimes weeks go by only 1-2 deer every 5-7 days. They know it’s a weird thing and just avoid it.

• Sitka Gear