Loner 11-Feb-20
Loner 11-Feb-20
Loner 11-Feb-20
Sosso 11-Feb-20
Ungie01201 12-Feb-20
Jebediah 12-Feb-20
10-Feb-20

Ungie01201's Link
Not doing this for argument sake, but I found this to be an interesting read: https://www.qdma.com/does-broadhead-choice-really-matter/?

10-Feb-20
Knew it all along lol

10-Feb-20
A lot of variables. Fixed better if you hit the shoulder, have lighter bow, and maybe angle shots. Mechs better for bad hits and longer range. The only issue I see with that study is that maybe the hunters who were better shots had the mechanicals?

10-Feb-20
I definitely have been thinking about this ever since the last thread on this subject was on here I think it was will who said he only shoots his mechanicals at broadside and quartering away deer that got me thinking I have lost 2 deer in 8 yrs (mayb more) 1 happened this year (both does ) 20 yrs chip shot quartering too a little over confident put it to tight to the shoulder .No blood at impact ,found 2 drops on a rock 150 yrd away same exact scenario on the other doe but...I cant help think that it was just a bad shot,2 in over ded deer would I have had the same result with a fixed head ? May b

10-Feb-20
That is pretty compelling. Also, 200 deer per square mile is amazing, that’s something like one deer per 3 acres.

10-Feb-20
Didnt say ANYTHING about that slim. In fact it was a small amount of hunters in general in a large area

10-Feb-20
All broadheads work very well today. Mechanicals are just as good as broadheads. However, they are MECHANICAL. Moving parts can fail. If you want to eliminate even the slightest chance that a broadhead will fail, you shoot a fixed blade. Fixed blade cannot fail, only the shooter can.

I shot mechanicals forever. I think they are awesome. I shoot fixed now. Does it make a bit of difference? Probably not.

10-Feb-20
Same old redundant positions. Mechanicals are great as long as you don't hit bone.

10-Feb-20
WOW. No

10-Feb-20
As some of you would say I and a troll. I read about everyday I like what a lot of you have to say and it is cool to read the stories. I don’t disagree or agree. I have shot a lot of deer in my life and all have been with mechanical. I do shoot a compound bow at 70 lbs and I shot good hard hitting arrows. I have had about 6 different kinds of arrows and only 4 or 5 different tips. I feel as if you combine the right arrow with a the right broadhead bone is not to much to worry about.

Now when it comes to a recurve or long bow I would say never shoot a mechanical. I have tried to shot recurve and I’m terrible now my father has always shot a recurve for his entire life and I have seen him hit shoulders and even with a fix it still does matter. Some he gets some he does not.

The gear to day is all about the same. If shoot fast bows with a 450 to 500 grain arrow and tipped with a mechanical would say you should be ok. But it’s always about shot placement. If you ask a 100 people you will get 101 answers shoot what you feel comfortable with. You can’t go by statistics you would be better asking the weather man if it’s gunna rain. That’s my two cents thanks for sharing all the stories and advice

Mike

10-Feb-20
I feel like I've read that before on here, did you post it last spring or in the fall Ungie? Feels familiar. Maybe I saw it on BBH?

I think the shot kills the deer. Today's mechs are good heads. These are not pucketts blood trailers. (I just aged myself)

I'm increasingly curious about heavier... And a part of me wants to try some of these modern two blade single bevels. I can see the benefits, and I just get curious so it could be fun to try.

It's a probability thing though for me, there is a lot more soft stuff to hit than boney stuff, and it's hard to envision a head with less cutting surface more effective in the case of a liver or gut shot, should that occur. And the reverse is true should you hit the shoulder.

Hence my reasoning for overkill energy for deer hunting, because I like big mechs.

POtAto, PoTahto

Lunker that may have been me, I choose to only take broadside or quartering away shots because I want the best odds of connecting with vital organs. I'd do that with a heavy COC single bevel setup to. But that's just me.

10-Feb-20
I think it’s a very useful dataset—numbers big enough to be meaningful, and incentives lending toward accurate reporting. Listening to the data—and putting aside anecdotes, sentiment, and emotion—dispels the notion the mechanicals are inferior. And whether or not one finds it palatable, it kind of looks like recoveries are better with crossbows. If that’s true, then the argument could be made that where legal, there’s actually an ethical obligation to put aside various purity tests, and hunt with a crossbow.

10-Feb-20
I went back and see that my crossbow argument only applies to crossbow+mechanical (and not crossbow+fixed—which is the opposite, actually...). The basic point stands, though—ethical obligation to use most-lethal, most-recoverable mechanism available.

10-Feb-20
Makes one wonder what xbow shooters using fixed blades are doing wrong? Really big spread there. I wonder if that's a tuning factor? Perhaps the smaller in flight surface of the mech's lead to more accurate shots?

I think we should try to be the best we can be with our gear. But I'm ok with the ethical choice of making the best with the gear on hand. If the focus became only allowing the surest thing, we should not use archery tackle at all, either vert bows or crossbows... And should only hunt with rifles or other firearms.

(NOTE: All information in this post is my opinion and should not be confused with any sort of fact or absolutism.)

10-Feb-20
Personally I wouldn't argue that point at all ,just would not want to see it during archery it's not the same

10-Feb-20
Great article

10-Feb-20
Agree Will, yes it could be taken to the point of viewing rifles as the only ethical/most-ethical option. Interesting to think about, and certainly tough to say what the right answer is. What about missiles?

10-Feb-20
Still having trouble absorbing the 200 deer per square mile.

10-Feb-20
What do I have to sulk about ? I love it the way it is . I win

10-Feb-20
Appreciate the disclaimer Will :). I continue to g back and forth on broadheads, I am back to fixed for next season with heavier arrows. I have had marginal shots in the past and I believe they have helped me out. I know many guys that kill deer consistently with lighter arrows and mechanicals. To each there own I guess, just simply hit your mark and it’s all good

10-Feb-20
Debunked by you .I'm sorry but that carry s little truth. Most of thoose are impossible to "debunk " How the heck do you know for fact that introducing the x bow will not put more gun hunters in the woods during archery for instance . Cmon man your drinking cool aid ! O YAA !

11-Feb-20
Mike I don't think u know what a troll is... just reading and not commenting is lurking. Trolling is poking the bear for sport. Preferably with a rage ;)

11-Feb-20
Again, just an interesting read and study..... I, personally, shoot mechanicals. The only issue I have ever had was hitting the ball of the shoulder dead on. I'm not sure anything would have helped me have a different outcome. I have blown mechanicals through scapula, etc. I think either are fine. I do like the extra cutting diameter and flight of the mechanicals with the appropriate setup. When my wife was bowhunting bear with me, I had her use a fixed as she was not shooting a ton of weight and it worked famously. I do think the study clearly shows mechanicals are a better option on a crossbow. I, obviously, would only shoot a fixed out of a recurve / longbow and a low poundage compound. But I certainly am no expert.

11-Feb-20
Ungie, likewise. As I recall, we shoot almost the same set up. I'm 29.5" @ 70# going 320fps with 410grn~ arrows (thinking about trying to get over 500 this year). Even with big mechs, I generally have two holes.

Pi, I guess my pass-fail analysis is viewed differently. I'm not trying to pass or fail, nor be "correct" in this discussion. If one believes xbow's to be different, then the entire discussion point changes. I'm not worried about failing, because it's not a pass fail test, and the discussion is not black and white. Frankly, it's also not the point of the paper. The point was that folks shooting mechanical vs fixed blade broad heads recover more deer. Apparently that's true for crossbows and compound bows. That point can be weighed against better penetration and bone cracking ability of various fixed blade broad heads.

This study suggests the idea often suggested by anti mech head users - that mechs equal more lost deer and wounding - appears to be unlikely, at least over the years of study in the area studied with Whitetail deer as the target critter.

11-Feb-20
"Pi" Betta Kappa !!?

11-Feb-20
will, i just picked up the VXR 31.5. I still have my Halon 7 as well. 70lb/29". Shooting 28.5" FMJ with 100 grain NAP Spitfire Maxx (total arrow weight is approx. 450 gr. Same arrows I shot out of my Halon. They hit like a sledge hammer. I have not chrono'd it, but the calculators say I should be around 296 fps... i'm not sure how accurate this is, but they are ripping! Out of my Halon they were going about 288 by calculation. I have never once had a mechanical "failure"

11-Feb-20
Good for you Pi; a diploma never weighed anyone down.

11-Feb-20
Yes, there is a distinction. I was referring to the sheep skins you amassed along the way. I'm retires now but wasn't too bad with books in my day. Keep up the good work young man.

11-Feb-20
Yes, there is a distinction. I was referring to the sheep skins you amassed along the way. I'm retired now but wasn't too bad with books in my day. Keep up the good work young man.

11-Feb-20
200 per square mile. I was born in the wrong Century. Don’t get me wrong, I was born in 76, but you get my point.

12-Feb-20
can you imagine 200 per square mile?!?!?! i think it's like 1 per square mile out here in the Berkshires where I hunt! Maybe less!

12-Feb-20
Earlier I said 200 per square mile is like one per 3 acres. Some of these sections outside of Boston have lot-size limits which I think are greater than 3 acres. So that’s like one deer per mansion.

• Sitka Gear