South Farm 21-Feb-20
Whocares 21-Feb-20
Bear 22-Feb-20
Tonybear61 29-Feb-20
orange feather 03-Mar-20
South Farm 26-Mar-20
mn_archer 03-Sep-20
10-Feb-20
My 17 year-old son has an event in Minneapolis in July so we are looking for something to do vacation wise before, after or around his event. Thinking possibly renting a property on a lake but don't know where to start looking. I know this isn't bowhunting specific, but I've been on the site since its inception and have found I get the best local suggestions from like minded people. :) PMs are great if you have a spot you don't want to advertise to the whole world. Thanks!

10-Feb-20
How many days available? What activities? Endless lake opportunities from higher end resorts to small lake cabin rentals. Hiking, fishing, just hanging out, american plan, housekeeping plan? You name it. need to be more specific.

10-Feb-20
Probably four or five days after he is done in the city. Small lake cabin rental sounds great, but open to other possibilities. Would be interested in a guided fishing trip of some kind.

11-Feb-20
Three days in the BWCA.

11-Feb-20
Depending on how far you want to drive from Minneapolis ,

Grand Rapids area has great fishing tons of resorts in the area. Lake winnebigoshish , leech lake, cass lake, red lake, pokegama are all bigger lakes and good guides I’m sure.

I also love the Ne part of the state around lake Vermillion to Ely area. Both beautiful areas and tons of options from small resorts on small lakes to more expensive places and bigger lakes. Both are 3.5 -4.5 hours drive.

If you want to go all out voyagers national park is my favorite on rainy lake but pushing 5hour drive.

Brainer lakes area is about a 2 hour drive and many Great Lakes as well but may be a few more people around if that doesn’t bother you.

Feel free to ask questions there Are plenty of guys on here that can help.

12-Feb-20
Thanks for the input guys. What I would love to find is a lake cabin with some good fishing, maybe a kayak or boat of some kind provided or at least rentable for a decent price. Would rather drive a little farther or do less fancy than have crowds. We want to get away and relax and crowds don't fit that equation for me.

13-Feb-20

CPAhunter's Link
Darrell, Custom cabins in Ely is a longtime client and friends of mine. Very nice cabins, you'd have a boat with it and many different lakes to fish in the area. I also work as a first mate on some charters out of Duluth on Lake Superior if that's something you'd like to experience for a half or full day. Feel free to pm me with questions.

13-Feb-20
Melgeorge's Elephant Lake Resort in Orr. Nice cabins, cheap motel rooms, good fishing, boats and water toys, onsite bar/resturant, great owners, and lots of scenery and points of interest in the area. Lake fishes big, but small enough to learn in a short trip.

14-Feb-20
Well we booked an AirB&B in Brainerd. Anyone have experience with any guides in that area? Would love to do day one with a guide and then possibly rent a boat for a couple days after.

14-Feb-20
Lake One Kawishiwi Lodge if they have any openings left for your time slot. Remote area with comfortable cabins and you can rent a canoe and paddle into the BWCAW without a permit for day-trips.

14-Feb-20
So I guess I was typing when you posted that...

Lots of things to do in Brainerd. Not exactly "un-crowded" though. We have spent a week there every summer for quite a while now. Most of the lakes will be very busy with recreational boaters when the weather is nice. We have our best fishing at low-light times. Or you can go to Mille Lacs and book a charter fishing trip. I wouldn't recommend that lake on your own.

I can PM you with specific fishing holes at local Brainerd lakes.

14-Feb-20
https://www.retreatlodge.com/

Lake Vermilion. Great bass/walleye/northern/muskie fishing.

14-Feb-20
What lake Darrell? You booked in the busiest tourist area in the State but obviously popular. Plenty stuff to do there for the family.

15-Feb-20
Place is on Rice Lake just NE of Brainerd. I figured we were in more of a tourist type area but the place we found looked really nice to my wife, especially when the host said she sprayed the property for mosquitoes. Needless to say, having my wife on board trumps a lot of things. :)

Have a day booked with John Blong to go after Northerns and possibly other species depending on what he is getting into that week. I can cancel that if I find someone better but I liked what I saw on their website and then talking with them. Considering what everyone wants to rent a boat for a day, his prices seem very good. Anyone have any experiences with him or his operation?

16-Feb-20
I have no knowledge of the guide but the brainerd area is very nice I’m sure you will find plenty to do and there is a ton of Great Lakes in the area.

As someone else mentioned Mille lacs lake is a short trip from brainerd and there is many good guides and charter(launch boats). It may be a cheaper way to get out fishing and a good chance to catch some walleyes with out having the headache of trying to find fish in a short time period. Good luck

17-Feb-20
I have never used a guide service so I can't help with that. Rice has a good population of Northerns. Trolling the weed edges should produce plenty of action for them. If all you have is a canoe or kayak at your B&B, you could cast spinners or rattling crankbaits to the weed edges across from the trailer park or the entire south shoreline. If you rent a boat that has a good graph & GPS, the sunken hump between the dam and the bridge offers good fishing all around it.

18-Feb-20
Stay home, sit on the couch with a case of Hamms, order pizza, and watch Tom Boley and In-depth vids on Youtube! Picking a resort is too much work!!

18-Feb-20
12 yards x2, Brainerd is a detour when heading north. Ruttgers Lodge in Bemidji would fit your family lifestyle very well with some very good smaller lakes for fishing or guide Lake Bemidji, Dave’s Pizza is a must stop.

21-Feb-20
I'd NEVER book a vacation to Brainerd! Nothing but people, jet skis, traffic, high prices, and development. NO THANKS! You ain't "getting away" from nothing in Brainerd. Seriously, I'd ask for your deposit back..

21-Feb-20
Tend to agree wit South Farm. Rice Lake is virtually in Brainerd. You'll hear lots of truck and car traffic.

22-Feb-20
I'm sure you will have a great time, Enjoy Minnesota! Let us hear all about it when you get home.

29-Feb-20
Bowfest 2020!! Charlie Daniels and Ted Nugent, 3-D shoots. The St. Louis River valley with the great fishing, tubing, some of best bike trails in the country. Jay Cooke park nearby, plus Duluth and all its history.

03-Mar-20
Darrell, you should have a fine time. Rice is part of the Mississippi river, so plenty of fish. Depending on the time of the year, you can go south of the dam and fish along the shore. This area may be the best small mouth area in the state. There are also a ton of lakes a short drive that have all most no boat traffic. The iron pits in Ironton are clear to 10 feet down and are a short trip away. I can give you other info if needed as I lived up there for seven years.

26-Mar-20
Mall of America...go now and you can have the whole place to yourself!

03-Sep-20
Darrell,

Have you taken this trip yet?

I live just north of brainerd in crosslake/breezy point. Let me know, a buddy of mine is the best guide in the brainerd lakes area mike

• Sitka Gear