Proline 12-Feb-20
Arrownoob 12-Feb-20
hickstick 13-Feb-20
hickstick 13-Feb-20
drslyr 14-Feb-20
Arrownoob 14-Feb-20
drslyr 15-Feb-20
12-Feb-20
It has come to pass that I am the proud owner of a single kayak. I live really close to the Charles River and there are some properties you cannot access from foot but now all of that is open to me for bow hunting. Last year I saw a kayaker on here. I’m looking for advice: Gear hauling: would prefer to not submerge all my hunting gear in water how can I pack it all on? I have a few months to build a little cargo rig. Wouldn’t mind making it fishing friendly. https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1103?originalProduct=120680&productId=1680798&attrValue_0=Mango&pla1=0&mr%3AtrackingCode=294EBD3C-5B19-E811-80F8-00505694403D&mr%3AreferralID=NA&mr%3Adevice=t&mr%3AadType=plaonline&qs=3125172&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4Lvj6rTM5wIVBoiGCh3zbA3iEAUYAiABEgLlcPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&SN3=FindabilityProd01_Search&SS3=A There was discussion of hauling out a deer with life jackets. I’m thinking some pack away system in the hatch like an inflatable. Anyone ever do this UP river? I would think current would be dragging you down. Real curious to see people’s rigs or hear success stories. It seems very uncommon just because of the extra effort, but that could really pay off.

12-Feb-20
Just pack as minimal as you can. All I carry on my kayak is a small backpack. I'll keep my bow or gun between my legs while paddling. Getting a deer out will depend on the situation. I like tekoas idea of floating it but we have never tried that. I wouldnt recommend a cargo rig if its something you have to tow behind you as you will learn that this can be a nightmare when navigating through brush, over beaver dams, etc. I have one spot I hunt that is up river but the current is very different at different times of the year. Just paddle as hard as you can for as long as you can and if you cant go any further just park it and walk the rest of the way.

12-Feb-20
Noob what kayak do you have. How long, wide and what is the carrying capacity of it. Those are all factors to consider. I spend a considerable time in one fishing and I would strongly recommend a sit on top and not a sit in style. Also you better be able to self rescue in one before you decide you are going to hunt out of one. Doesn’t take very long for you to be a statistic in the colder water of the fall.

12-Feb-20
DTH, that link he posted is the kayak. Its a sit in and its pretty long. I agree with you, sit on top that is wide yet fairly short is definitely the way to go. That being said, I've used both and both definitely work. There are just more challenges to the sit-in but you can definitely make it work. The advantage to the sit in like he has is that it will be easier to paddle, especially go against the current too so that's really nice. And the one he owns has built in dry storage which is awesome as well. You will be fine with that kayak once you get your set up dialed in. At 60lbs just make sure you can park really close to the river and dont put your gear into the kayak before you get to the river. One thing I forgot to mention, be careful when picking out a paddle. I was using a nice lightweight paddle and I snapped it trying to get over a beaver dam. Talk about making a long paddle longer. I started using a really cheap but heavy duty paddle and its very unlikely to break. This may be one of the times where its better to buy something cheaper as they tend to be heavier and thicker.

12-Feb-20

hickstick's embedded Photo
my suggestion with a sit in, check in your deer online if you have a signal and do a gutless butcher and pack it in game bags, and slide it into the cockpit (IE between your legs) ...you might have to make 2 trips. remember they are mostly designed to have the heaviest point be where you are sitting so any weight out towards either end can get tippy.

you may want to consider a good dry-bag to put your gear in...hunting all day in wet clothes doesn't sound fun, now does carrying a wet backpack.

I was thinking of trying the paddle board sometime...but I'd need a wetsuit once the temps get cold.

12-Feb-20
I will practice a lot over the summer. I will be able to get on dry land quickly in 10-15 feet- upper Charles is narrow. I think a milk crate on the back might be handy, I’ll probably put a pvc rod holder on the crate. My dad used to have like a double crate (a big rectangle equal to two crates) I. mIght try to find one (any hot tips?). As far as transport out I won’t worry about that for awhile.

12-Feb-20
We in the SUPfishing community use Yeti coolers Noob. They've got tiedowns built in, are water tight and some even come with rod holders attached only problem is they are pricey

12-Feb-20
Yard sale for the double crate I'd peruse YouTube for mod ideas It depends on how much you like to tinker. My preference is a canoe but it's been awhile since I did that. Tie everything in and practice practice practice. Last thing u need is to be fishing for your bow

12-Feb-20
BB missed that part thanks. Sit in will be fine if you practice. But it’s scary if you tip over. Being a river though you will never be far from shore !!! Practice practice practice and get comfortable in that kayak before you decide to venture out and you will be fine

12-Feb-20
Thanks guys. There is no way I’m buying a yeti cooler for this purpose! I never heard of fishing SUP. kinda reminds me of goat yoga or George Constanza eating a hoagie in bed.

12-Feb-20
Holy shit. This thread was started hours ago and not a single Pi comment.....

12-Feb-20
Look in the mirror and say his name 3 times

13-Feb-20
Stand Up Paddleboard fishing is awesome noob. you can target fish (depending on water clarity) like they do in the salt flats in a skiff. you can get into areas a bass boat can't. and you get some exercise while doing it.

13-Feb-20

this is my friend SUP fishing off the coast of NC where the wild horses are.

14-Feb-20
Greg Godffrey from Tethrd hunts from a yak and has posted a few vids on his channel about hunting out of them.

14-Feb-20
I couldn’t find the channel can you share the name?

15-Feb-20
G2 Outdoors

• Sitka Gear