Moultrie Mobile
9% buck yearling kill?
Arkansas
Contributors to this thread:
Glunker 15-Feb-20
Salagi 15-Feb-20
15-Feb-20
On the WI site a hunting study was posted that claimed Arkansas hunter deer kills were just 9% yearling bucks but in WI the kill was 62%. That is hard to fathom. Anyone have an idea of the buck doe ratio, buck age structure or other reasons for the huge discrepancy between these 2 state? They were the highest and lowest state #'s in the study. I have to ask as in recent years in WI more large scoring bucks have been shot than ever recorded due to QDMA, harder to get on private land and some hunters upping their game in time, equipment and being driven to kill older bucks.

15-Feb-20

Salagi's Link
Here is a link to the official harvest reports for several years. 2018-19 shows a 6.5% button buck harvest. As to why the discrepancy, I don't know. They did remove our antler restrictions for my zones due to CWD a couple of years ago, but 3 point rule is still in effect for the rest of the state. We have a 2 buck limit throughout the state, 6 deer total, and in our area, button bucks now count as does. The rest of the state button bucks count against the buck limit so people may be a little more choosy.

• Sitka Gear