KX500 23-Feb-20
KX500 23-Feb-20
JRW 24-Feb-20
Highlife 25-Feb-20
Franzen 08-Mar-20
jstephens61 08-Mar-20
1boonr 10-Mar-20
15-Feb-20
Been looking to head out to Illinois from Connecticut for a late season (December-january) bow hunt. Harpole's seems to be one of the only outfitters I can find that runs a hunt that late. Their price is $1650 for 3 days 4 nights. They also run a $950 hunt for unlimited does. Does anyone on here know anything about this outfit? If you do, what can I expect? Or can someone point me in a different direction for outfitter? I'm limited to late bow season. Thanks in advance.

15-Feb-20
Just read the outfitters reports. Stay away.

15-Feb-20
I dont see them in any outfitters reports? I've read mixed reviews through google.

15-Feb-20
They are not very popular here. Negative reviews are pretty spot on.

19-Feb-20
I believe they are based out of Pike county but I can’t say that I have any personal experience with them. I will say though that it pains me to know that while deer numbers in Pike have been sadly and shockingly destroyed over the last 7 +/- years that outfitters (or non outfitters for that matter) are still promoting “unlimited doe hunting”. Don’t understand.

20-Feb-20
I’ve NEVER heard a good word about Harpole’s. Way, way over hunted.

23-Feb-20
If you are after a nice buck, I can't say that I'd recommend Illinois at that time of the year. By then, the dumb bucks are dead & the smart ones have had 3 months to get even smarter. Plus any rutting activity would be very limited.

If few outfitters even offer hunts at this time, it could very well be that they want to keep customers happy and those hunts simply don't provide for that.

If I were looking for a Buck hunt at that time, I'd probably head further south & try to catch the tail end of the rut somewhere.

23-Feb-20
On a semi-related side note, my wife & I did visit Harpole's last summer. My wife was thinking that we needed a side by side. I'm not opposed to them, but really didn't think we'd use one and the place I hunt is small enough that a side by side wouldn't really be a huge advantage.

Harpole's was about the only place semi-close I could find where you could rent a side by side. So we rented one for a couple hours, which was enough and my wife & I haven't talked about buying one since. Apparently my wife envisioned putting around where as I wanted to see how fast the thing would go and find something to jump.

Anyway, from a completely non-deer hunting related perspective, the place is very pretty & nice. Glad we visited - and did the 'try before you buy' thing with the side by side.

24-Feb-20
"Apparently my wife envisioned putting around where as I wanted to see how fast the thing would go and find something to jump."

LOL!

25-Feb-20
Jason be nice lol

08-Mar-20
Not even considering who the outfitter is, the problem I see is it is a 3 day hunt. Deer don't always feed every day in daylight hours that time of year, and that is about the extent of deer movement. They are more apt to do it if it's been bitter cold and we have snow, but generally the weather pattern will dictate how much movement you will get. IF you get the right weather, and IF the outfitter cares enough to have done homework for the late season hunt, and IF there has been a big drop in hunting pressure the month prior, it could be a good hunt. Lots of ifs though.

08-Mar-20
Have to agree with Fredbear, unlimited doe hunting in Illinois in January is just stupid. Not only killing the doe, but next years fawn crop. We only take a couple does late season on the farm, depending on the numbers we’ve seen in the fall.

10-Mar-20
Shooting does anytime kills next years fawn crop, not just in January

• Sitka Gear