Dennis Razza 27-Feb-20
horsethief51 27-Feb-20
Brad Gehman 15-Mar-20
huntinelk 27-Mar-21
huntinelk 27-Mar-21
horsethief51 27-Mar-21
horsethief51 27-Mar-21
26-Feb-20
This past year my son and I were both fortunate to kill good bucks for our area of PA. I decided to send teeth from both deer to deerage.com to find out how old they were. I had guessed my deer at 3.5 and Cody's at 4.5, just by body size and the way they looked. Looking at tooth wear mine appeared to be 3.5 again, Cody's either 3.5 or 4.5. The more scientific results from deerage showed that all those guesses were wrong.

Has anyone else had their PA deer aged? If so are you seeing mature age deer with less than stellar racks? Our area has never been a big buck producing area, I know the soil here is very poor and guessing the genetics are a bit lacking too.

I posted both of these deer on the meat pole during season, but I will repost the pictures followed by a screen shot of the age report. I would be very interested if anyone else has the same type info to share.

26-Feb-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo

26-Feb-20

26-Feb-20

26-Feb-20

26-Feb-20
Got one aged at 3.5 a few years ago. No pictures though.

26-Feb-20
I had my biggest aged about 12 years ago a dandy 10 point. He aged at 7.5.

Great pics and congrats to you and your son!

26-Feb-20
I've found that most bucks I've had aged are older than most people would have estimated. Just because a buck is old, doesn't mean it will be high scoring. I shot a 7.5 year old a few years ago that scored 115 and this years buck was aged at 6.5 and probably scores 120 or so.

27-Feb-20
Great deer Gene. Any 4.5 year old and older is rare and tough to get! Congrats to you and your son!!

Yes. I age and send out to deer age regularly. I also send a lot of clients deer out for aging. I see a lot of 5.5 year old deer with 110” racks. I guess they all don’t have the genetics to be large.

I also have seen 2.5 year old deer with 130 - 140” racks.

27-Feb-20
Since moving to the farm 15 years ago I have tried to keep every jaw, including big does, that have been harvested here and out of state. My big ten point from West Virginia was done by QDMA and was 4.5 YO. I have gotten pretty good at aging the 1.5 and 2.5 YO deer and it is surprising how many 7, 8 and 9 points we get that are only a year and a half old. I am betting that some over our bigger bucks are very likely to be 3.5 YO but I not sure. I never had teeth aged of any of my big old Southeastern PA bucks but I would bet they are 3.5 to 5.5 YO.

15-Mar-20

Brad Gehman's embedded Photo
Brad Gehman's embedded Photo
This buck was 7.5 years old. Scored 147. Had him on trail camera for 4 years with this size rack. Knew it was him because he had a cut in his ear.

27-Mar-21

Anybody have any deer aged this past season?

27-Mar-21

27-Mar-21
I had to re-read the whole thread. I never did check out their website. Do you send in one specific tooth or the entire jaw? You sure cannot tell by a deer's rack. LOL. Rut, my wife and I all got bucks at least 2.5 years old last season. Theirs were both nice 8 points, but mine was the biggest body with a 4 X 2 rack. My buck's jaw length was longer than my wife's buck and his teeth did appear to have more wear.

27-Mar-21
two front, center most, lower jaw teeth.

OK

• Sitka Gear