JMG 17-Jun-20
Velvet muley 26-Jun-20
Velvet muley 26-Jun-20
SBH 07-Aug-20
msdevilish 17-Aug-23
ForbiddenGirl 17-Aug-23
Velvet Muley 18-Aug-23
11-Mar-20
Hey, looking for some general hunting information of Montana. I'm moving to Billings in June and have heard that there is issues with public land access and that a lot of public land is landlocked. Anyone that has knowledge and is willing to share any information about that part of the state would be greatly appreciated. Also wondering how the draw works and if there are over the counter tag opportunities? Thanks in advance!!

11-Mar-20
Go to Cabelas, get some advice and some maps. Go to FWP Region 5 HQ 2300 Lake Elmo Drive. Start reading hunting regs, then asking good questions. "...heard that there is issues with public land access and that a lot of public land is landlocked." You're drinking in the wrong bar. My advice on an internet forum will get you nothing but trouble.

13-Mar-20
You won't have resident status until December. You won't be buying over the counter elk or deer until 2021 season. Antelope is all by draw, resident or NR.

You can also buy turkey as a resident next spring.

If you want to hunt deer or elk this year, you'll need in the NR draw. That will cost a chunk.

I skipped my first fall season here in 2011 and just bought a NR fishing license.

13-Mar-20
I plan on coming back to Nevada this year for elk and deer or whatever else I get lucky enough to draw. I might put in for some non resident tags for my kids though. Iv'e just heard from a couple people around here (Nevada) that access can be a little tricky on that side of the state.

13-Mar-20
There is less access on that side of state, but there is still public access. It won't be out your back door, but Block Management, NF, BLM, and State is still available by driving. You'll have more access to deer and antelope than elk.

14-Mar-20
Right on, thanks for the info. Look forward to it!

02-Apr-20
Not sure how things work down in Nevada, but here in MT if you have a car or truck, all you have to do is drive and you will have more public land opportunities to hunt than imaginable.

03-Apr-20
What Mt Livin’ said.......lots of great areas to explore

17-Jun-20
+1 what Hobbes stated. There is plenty of archery and rifle opportunities in central and eastern Montana. If you have questions, send me a PM and I can direct you to someone else's spot :).

26-Jun-20
Hey, thanks for all the info on here. It's been a while since I started this thread but it's official, I'm moving down On July 13th and I can't wait to get started with all the hunting and fishing opportunities in a new state. Iv'e hunted Nevada hard for 27 years and look forward to try new things. Anyone need any help if you draw a NV tag let me know and be more than happy to assist.

26-Jun-20
PM sent!

07-Aug-20
Welcome to MT! Still plenty of good hunting to be had!

17-Aug-23
Montana's draw system and over-the-counter tag opportunities have likely seen some changes over the years. Reach out to the Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks department for the latest regulations and procedures.

17-Aug-23
While your post is from a few years back, the topic of hunting in Montana remains relevant. When moving to Billings, Montana, you'll find that the state's hunting landscape offers a mix of opportunities and challenges. Public land access and landlocked areas have been points of discussion, but there are still great hunting experiences to be had.

Since the thread is a few years old, it's advisable to check recent sources and local hunting associations for the most up-to-date information. Also, if anyone needs any help with moving across the states, check out andyremovals.com. They can be of great help in such a case. Anyways, it's always good to rely on official hunting websites and forums for accurate details.

18-Aug-23
Ya, it's been a few years now. One of the best things I ever did was making the move!

• Sitka Gear