swampokie 04-Jul-20
abow4me 17-Jul-20
abow4me 17-Jul-20
Ok...Russ 20-Jul-20
abow4me 20-Jul-20
Ok...Russ 20-Jul-20
abow4me 20-Jul-20
12-Mar-20
I realize it's a little early for some but thought I would ask. Anyone planning on heading to the Colorado mountains this year for elk or deer?

12-Mar-20
My last year for CO elk was 2019. Landowner wants to let family have the limited tags from CPW so my honey hole is no longer mine. Plus, it's getting cost prohibitive in my opinion once I add up lease fee, tag, motel, gas, food, processing and maybe taxidermy. It's enough to pay for an annual lease here in OK which is much more beneficial to me since moving from Colorado Springs to rural OKC area 3 years ago. Best of luck to you!

14-Mar-20
I’m most likely hunting deer in Colorado either in sept or nov. haven’t decided yet. Probly have a bear tag as well

14-Mar-20
Hoping to return to Wyoming this year with a elk tag in my pocket had a blast chasing antelope and deer last year. Also applying for deer, elk, antelope, and sheep in New Mexico but I won't hold my breath for any of those. If all that falls through I'll probably just grab a OTC/leftover list Colorado elk tag.

15-Mar-20
Not applying in nm for the first time in 15 years. They finally went too far with the latest nr diy tag rounding reductions and enuff is enuff. I love hunting nm more than any other but im out

16-Mar-20
PushCoArcher, if you're planning SW CO, I believe most of those units like 78 are draw only for elk starting this season. Just double check as I wouldn't want you to rely on OTC and end up not getting to hunt a familiar area.

17-Mar-20
Swampokie making the license non refundable in the face of decreasing draw odds and the tag quota rounding now making draw odds even worse is definitely making NM less appealing by the year for a DIY non resident hunter. But IMO it's the outfitter pool that's the big problem. Allowing people to make a living off the outdoors is one thing but guaranteeing a select group of people a certain percentage of a public resource so they can make personal monetary gain absolutely flies in the face of the North American model of conservation. If I can get just one decent elk hunt in NM I'll probably pull out.

Russ unfortunately the units I've hunted in the past 75/751 were part of the cut. Between that and Wyoming changing their elk draw release date my plans have had to adapt. If my Wyoming elk app falls through I'll try and pick up archery or muzzleloader elk tags for my old units off the leftover/reissue list unless something else on the list catches my eye. Next year I plan on burning my CO elk points on a unit 76 cow muzzleloader tag, always wanted to hunt that unit and will never catch the bull tag.

17-Mar-20
May take a CO year off. Still trying to decide. We are in zone for an early season above timberline deer rifle tag we want, but brother from WI wants to scout before we hunt it. Our favorite OTC unit is now draw, which is fine, but not really wanting to have to learn a new one. We blew all of our elk points last year, so starting from scratch. May end up going back to SD to hunt, but need to decide pretty quickly. Might go up anyway and spend a few days scouting and do some mountain biking as well.

17-Mar-20
Do u guys think we will be able to catch a 2nd choice tag on a 75/751 or 78 archery hunt and not have to burn points

18-Mar-20
Swampokie, get out your magic 8 ball and ask! Flippant answer but with this being the first year of draw only I don't think we'd know and just be guessing. If hunting deer in 78, I may know a place you could try. Won't be HUGE muleys but had been good numbers in the past along with a few bears. Small area so have to be cautious when hunting but I've taken a deer and cow elk from there and seen bear on water hole. I think so many out of staters hit the SW units it's likely you won't be able to draw on a second choice - depends on how many people are saving points vs ones that rely on OTC as their last option and won't get to since have to apply earlier.

19-Mar-20
I'm guessing (more hoping honestly) the archery tags will have similar odds as muzzleloader. If that's the case you should at least have a chance at drawing 2nd choice. Russ is right though to many changes and variables at play this year to know how it'll shake out.

07-Apr-20
We went ahead and just did PP's for deer and elk in CO. Skipped SD archery as well. I have 6 SD rifle pp and that app period doesn't close till june or july so I could still do that if I wanted. Obviously still have the option to do an OTC tag in CO, but don't want to learn a new unit right now. One of our preferred archery elk units can be drawn with 1 pp. Good unit but rough. Hopefully will do that next year.

09-Apr-20
I went for a 3rd season deer hunt in nw Colorado. Points for elk bear bighorn and antelope. Ended up applying in nm even though I swore I wouldn't. Got in with 10 minutes to spare and im ashamed.

10-Apr-20
I'm in for Colorado & New Mexico Elk.

10-Apr-20
I am in for a two point unit in Colorado Archery mule deer :) Hoping to have revenge after getting my butt kicked two years in a row

I do not plan on hunting elk in Colorado. Plan on donating more to stop the wolf instead

25-Apr-20
Swampokie how'd you do in New Mexico? All red here hoping on the Wyoming elk draw to go my way.

26-Apr-20
A couple of guys I know, one in the raw lottery, drew unit 55 in NM. Vallevidal. And another, drew Gila at like 1.2% chance to draw. Lucky SOB, his first time to put in.

27-Apr-20
Rick, I figure you've been on elk hunts before but I'd try to tag along on one of those 2 if possible. If timed right during the rut, it could be crazy action on very, very large bulls. Granted, you would then become a 'packer' once the fun is over! I'm going to miss hunting them this fall....unless I draw a controlled hunt...RIGHT.

27-Apr-20
Russ... I'm thinking VERY seriously of going along on the Unit 55 tag. I got the invite and packing out wouldn't hurt my feelings. :)

27-Apr-20
Valle Vidal has always been my first choice any time spent there would be amazing.

27-Apr-20
Push... I didn't realize unti my buddy told me, how coveted that tag is (I've never put in for NM). He has put in for close to 20 years. That's just crazy!

28-Apr-20
FWIW, I burned 21 points to bow hunt Unit 2 in CO before leaving because as a Non Resident it would've been another 10+ years to draw one of the 7 or 8 tags. Tag soup too. Valle Vidal is truly a once in a lifetime tag. I'd start practicing some sexy cow talk and get really good(leave the bugling to someone else). I'm not a great bugler so every bull I've killed were attracted with a sultry "come hither" call! :)

02-May-20
RED

03-May-20
If not Wyoming, it will be Colorado for me. I have Utah in the hopper too, long freaking shot though!

18-Jun-20
Finally have some tags for this fall! Drew Wyoming unit 71 type 1 antelope tag and the wife and I both drew a type 6 tag for the same unit. No luck on the deer or elk.

19-Jun-20
Congrats on the speed goat tags!

20-Jun-20
Drew Colorado muley unit 31/32 3rd rifle

20-Jun-20
Congrats to all yall tag winners

22-Jun-20
Congrats Swampokie! You got a LONG drive ahead. :)

22-Jun-20
I have a feeling those 3rd season tags in Colorado will go up a few points the next couple years with the season dates.

25-Jun-20
Drew a less than stellar elk tag in NM. I will be hunting the 1st through the 13th.

04-Jul-20
Thanks Russ and I agree with ur assessment PCA. LINK and nm elk tag drawn is a success with the odds we see there these days...congrats and good luck

17-Jul-20

17-Jul-20
Picked up an bull tag in the CO second draw. We r going to try a new spot this year.

20-Jul-20
abow4me, which unit in CO did you draw? Not hunting elk in the foreseeable future but lived in CO for 20+ years so truly miss the mountains. If you don't want to post the unit, that's cool too. Best of luck on your hunt!

20-Jul-20
Russ, we drew 74. I Haven’t been in there since 2008 and it was a short hunt. Coworker got hurt back home so I came back early. We usually hunt around Pagosa Springs.

What area did you live in?

20-Jul-20
Castle Rock for a few years in the early 90s then Colorado Springs until 2014 when moved back to OK to help my parents. Had a cabin in Pagosa right along hwy160 where it backs up to Jackson Mtn - San Juan River Resort. Loved that place! Could hike right into the NF from subdivision or cross the river on the South side and hunt areas that would take a lot of walking around to get to. Stayed in Unit 78 but was getting too much pressure so generally didn't hunt there as much us around Alamosa and Sangre de Cristo's.

20-Jul-20
Cool deal. We hunt a little west of there. I’ve checked out those Sangres...They r steep!! Beautiful country for sure.

• Sitka Gear