creed 30-Jul-20
StickFlicker 31-Jul-20
Chuckster 01-Aug-20
Knothead 02-Aug-20
AZ8 02-Aug-20
StickFlicker 03-Aug-20
13-Mar-20

bowhunter316's embedded Photo
What are your thoughts on the use of game/trail cameras in AZ?
bowhunter316's embedded Photo
What are your thoughts on the use of game/trail cameras in AZ?

bowhunter316's Link
Christian Hunters of America was recently made aware of the trail camera regulations being discussed at the AZGFD Commission meeting on 3/20/2020. We are polling sportsmen to gain insight on what they think and want. Information that we gather will be given to the AZ Game and Fish Department/Commission. Take survey at this link: https://www.signupanywhere.com/signup/jbcnnjsf

14-Mar-20
I think it's complete B.S. that a year or two ago G&F did all the work of surveying people, held public meetings on the topic, and eventually the Commission met and voted not to change the law on cameras. Within a couple months, they started the entire process over again, presumably because someone on the Commission didn't like the result? Sounds a lot like the Democrats when Trump was elected!

14-Mar-20
Spot on, Marvin!

16-Mar-20
So is AZGF asking the CHA to do this poll or are you doing on your own?

29-Apr-20
Wow!Amazing new apps! But before installing them make sure that your video converters are OK. Have doubts? I found Free video converters WinX HD pro version only for $29,95. After their work, you can download any app for any purpose.

29-Apr-20
SPAM MUCH ???

30-Apr-20
"spam"

At least SOMEONE is posting on this site! Ha

Somebody out there has to be doing something interesting, scouting or something that the rest of us could live through vicariously?!

01-May-20
Leave trail cameras alone! Pretty sure the message has already been received.

Now going after OHV’s is something I could support! Lol

01-May-20
I'll bite. I 100% support a Trail camera season. Feb 1st - Aug 15th. No cams from Aug. 16th to Jan. 31st. Either that or no cams within 250 yards of a man made water. There, happy now?

03-May-20

creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
creed's embedded Photo
Or ban them altogether. I have used a lot of trail cams. I still have 6 of them but haven't put one out in years. It's a rarity that I can walk up to a waterhole without seeing at least one and most of the time multiple cameras.

I had never really thought of a trail cam season before but could completely get behind Knothead's idea. Here's a couple of old trail cam pics of some desert muleys. I have had hundreds of pics like these but in hindsight likely wouldn't put up a camera given the same circumstances.

03-May-20
The way I see it, they don’t harm anyone so why regulate them? Just another unneeded law. Most of the time all it shows you is where the animals are at night ! Lol

03-May-20
This whole thing is absurd. I honestly don't care about cameras much one way or the other, but the downright dishonesty in the process is something I can't stand. This topic is outside the current rulemaking schedule. This should not even be considered for another few years, but clearly someone has some pull with the Commission. This smells like cowshit and has Kurt Davis written all over it IMO. This is why you don't appoint someone to the Commission more than once. Power trip, just like Golightly.

29-Jul-20
I have been an AZ hunter for the past 51 years and have been strictly a bowhunter for 47 of those years. What I have seen with this Camera issue is really getting out of hand. I have seen very few water tanks or seeps that are not covered by at least one or two cameras. I do not care for them even though I myself am guilty of using them in the past. I have found my self asking my self do these fall under the fair chase guidelines where you sign an affidavit that you did not use ANY electronic aides in harvesting your game animal. When I thought about it I feel it is an unfair advantage to use them. and I half to tell all of you it does not make up for hard work and taking the time to scout and get your butt out of the utv,atv or truck and pound the ground. I have taken more than my share of big Game a lot in the record books without resorting to using cameras. I will see what game and fish does with them. I have one item here i'd like to bring up and that is Guides who think they own the deer in Kaibab. I had a run in last year with one after I shot a 34 inch 4x5 and was skinning it out in camp. he tried telling me that his client had killed the deer. it turned into a real shit show and argument until he finally showed me his clients arrows which had 2 bladed expendables the deer had one 3 bladed hole through and through with a 3 bladed 125 grain muzzy which I had recovered and was in my quiver. I'd like to say this was the only instance of crap ive run across at Kaibab but the year before my truck was blocked in by guides trucks and the year before my tires slashed. I have hunted this same drainage since I was 10 years old and they insist that it belongs to the guides. This needs to stop on their part or they need to stop or severely limit the guide situation in Kaibab. last year could of ended badly for them I hate to say as I have had enough of their arrogance and ignorance up there but will not stop hunting there no matter what kind of crap they keep pulling, Anyone else had issues on the Kaibab with these guides?

29-Jul-20
Trail cameras do not violate the written rules of Fair Chase for either P&Y or B&C......but I completely understand your personal feeling.

30-Jul-20
Wrangler59, thanks for your comments. Although I don’t have quite the history that you have, I’ve bow hunted Arizona for for over 35 years and have killed plenty of animals before trailcams. I still use those cams to scout as a tool. You’re right, they should not replace time and effort in the field. They are just a tool. Although every year I find myself using more and more of them, I don’t know if I can honestly say that a camera has helped or aided me to kill any animals. I use them to know what’s in the areas I hunt and to study general movement patterns to determine best times of day to be in the field. Therefore I don’t believe that cameras violate fair chase in any way.

Regarding guides (being one off and on myself), I’m with you! It’s gotten out of hand with the hot shots and show offs and just plain illegal activity that’s going on. It takes away from the spirit of the hunt. I ran into a few guides in the Kaibab last weekend. Most were nice and polite but I did have one guy drive passed me and give me the stink eye because I was in the area. This was after I waived at him and his buddy. It pissed me off frankly. Young kid too. Sometime I want to tell these kids that I e been hunting this area since before you existed. Back the Eff Off!

30-Jul-20
Hunting as a whole in AZ has changed so much. I killed my first desert muley when I was 12, I am 66 in a week. I have seen it evolve into something so much different than it was 50 years ago.

As to guides, I too have had a run in with a guide that thought the forest was his. This guy seriously considered getting physical when I wouldn't back off of a bull when he and a client busted our setup. He changed his mind but I couldn't believe the arrogance of this guy. If not for his attitude I probably would have backed off.

As far as I am concerned ban trailcameras. Second best would be a season like Knothead proposed.

31-Jul-20
So far, the negative examples listed on this thread are all related to bad experiences with guides you have run into in the field. Those have nothing to do with trail cameras, and that issue should be a more pressing problem with Game and Fish than trail camera use! Game and Fish has done little that I can tell to curb bad behavior by guide services. I personally think that hunters should post bad experiences they have had with guide services acting badly toward other hunters and list the guide service by name when known. Why are we pussy footing around naming them publicly? If the government won't do anything to punish them, our only choice is to give them bad publicity on the forums.

01-Aug-20
Well said Marvin. Sometimes a little public shaming goes a long way.

02-Aug-20
I have never had a bad experience with a guide or guide service but I typically hunt units they are not guiding in. I have heard of but not personally experienced many more bad experiences from regular "Joe Six-Pack" hunters. Overwhelmingly these stories come from guys "claiming" water holes. If game and fish wants to start an etiquette add campaign, I'm all in favor of it. FIRST COME FIRST SERVED when it comes to hunting water sources. If somebody is beats you to a spot, leave and move on to plan B.

With regard to cameras, I run them and I really enjoy it just like guys who shed hunt. My stance on cameras is because I am more concerned about the well being of the wildlife and not what is best for me personally. A camera season on public land would allow guys to use them but just not during hunting seasons.

02-Aug-20
Knothead, that waterhole FCFS campaign is already implemented and spelled out in every issue of the hunting regulations. It’s found under the “Ethics” chapter. Unfortunately, most skip straight to the hunt codes and never read beyond it. The fact of the matter is, the hunting community is filled with many people who don’t share our same concerns. It is what it is. At 51 years old, I discovered a long time ago there are people in the hunting community that are total pricks and there’s nothing I can do about it.

03-Aug-20
Agree completely AZ8.

• Sitka Gear