Turkey species
Oklahoma
Contributors to this thread:
newfi1946moose 26-Mar-20
PushCoArcher 26-Mar-20
PushCoArcher 26-Mar-20
newfi1946moose 26-Mar-20
26-Mar-20
Folks...spoke with an old hunting buddy last evening and he wants to do a turkey slam in 2021 and he was asking if I knew the species here in OK and if I had any on my land. I am not a turkey hunter but do have them. Help? Stay safe in these crazy times!

26-Mar-20
Most of the Turkey in the state are Rio grande except for a few SE counties which have easterns and a small population of merriam turkeys in the panhandle. There's also hybrids found in the area where two sub species meet the ODWC has a distribution map to show exact regions that each species inhabit. A Rio should be easy they populate most of the state. A eastern will be more difficult as the population is currently down and season is cut in half. But there's still enough birds and public to have a successful hunt if truly after a eastern I'd stick to LeFlore, McCurtain, Pushmataha, and Choctaw counties. For Merriams you'll have to pay for access as they are only found on private property in the pan handle. If your friend would be interested in that let me know and I'll PM you the contact info for a rancher who does guided hunts and trespass fee hunts. As for the hybrids if I was specifically targeting one I'd start in Atoka or Coal county.

26-Mar-20

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo

26-Mar-20
Thanks much. I will send him the info as he is from MT.

• Sitka Gear