doubledrop 03-Jun-20
27-Mar-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Here's a few pics from yesterday afternoon to getcha fired up for the season! Just FYI these were taken on a piece of public land, and if somebody has a kid they're taking next Wednesday I could point you in the right direction...Butler County.

27-Mar-20
Beautiful bird for sure. I side with Ben Franklin’s recommendation!

Wonder how many out there will understand what I mean without having to first Google Ben Franklin/Turkey?

27-Mar-20
I use Bing so...

27-Mar-20
Boda

27-Mar-20
I’m glad Ben didn’t get his was personally.

27-Mar-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
How bout some more pics...

28-Mar-20
really beautiful pics...when I was younger I thought about getting into photography as a career. Keep telling myself that after I shoot or reach the size and number of big deer I have in mind I'm going to start taking pictures and video instead. Just haven't reached that goal yet.

28-Mar-20
and I'm not an experienced turkey hunter...have shot a few but I don't think have ever seen a pic of 4 birds that close together strutting at the same time...is that common?

28-Mar-20
Spectacular pics Kyle! April 6th can’t come soon enough!

28-Mar-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Thanks fellas, she's still editing...notice anything "special" about the bird in front here?

28-Mar-20
Crested - I'll bet most of us know it. The editor of Turkey Call magazine back in the 90s, Gene Smith, did some research and he didn't think Ben Franklin was really serious about it.

I wish they'd have picked the golden eagle instead bald eagle. No doubt which eagle is the best predator and would rather work hard for their meals. A buddy who has one for falconry says - "Bald eagles are democrats. Golden eagles are the Republicans."

28-Mar-20
Does this stay at home order affect hunting?

29-Mar-20
Only if you stay at home.

29-Mar-20
Good one Gstro lol. Shot one of my last birds 100 yards from the house.

31-Mar-20
Hello sitO could you shoot me a message please? I have a few questions for you sir. Friend me on Facebook Darrell Dockery if you would, thank you

31-Mar-20
Check your PM Darrell

31-Mar-20
Yes, Yes it does westksbowhunter, but only for non residents.

01-Apr-20

crestedbutte's Link
Looks like if you have traveled to or are from Louisiana, Colo., Colo. mountain counties, Calif., Florida, NY, Washington, Illinois, New Jersey, been on a cruise ship or traveled internationally and plan to hunt turkeys in KS this year.....your stay might be a little longer than expected. You won't be able to hunt until you have self-quarantined 14 days upon your arrival to KS. See below:

Directly from KDWP&T website homepage (see link provided): All 2020 spring hunting seasons will continue as planned, including spring Turkey. Hunters traveling from states listed on the Kansas Department of Health and Environment’s “Travel Quarantine List,” must self-quarantine upon arrival for 14 days prior to hunting and/or checking into a state park cabin. Refunds will be available for those no longer able to travel.

02-Apr-20
No youth opener pics? I have a story to tell, and it's scary as hell...but I'm going to wait for the Game Warden to get his work done first. That was in the morning, we had a better afternoon...got Mike's son close, very close, but no cigar.

Hopefully some of you had success with the "littles"!

02-Apr-20
Worked a few birds, but couldn't get them to come out of gorgeous timbered creek bottom I didn't think was part of the property where we had permission. Checking later, it was. Where I'd planned to set up on the next trip, was not. That's why we check.

Fortunate the property is owned by a grandparent of the kid I'm taking, and his parents will drive him to the spot so we don't have to ride in the same pickup as per social distancing. Setting up more than 6' apart is a pain but this kid hunted waterfowl with me 16-18 times last fall, so he's got the basics down. My fear is that, if something were go wrong as per the virus with me, the boy and his family would forever wonder if I'd gotten it from him.

Not nearly as many birds around as the quality of habitat should be holding. But, it only takes one in the right mood.

02-Apr-20

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
My oldest got it done first thing yesterday morning. 2 kids in the blind was a hoot!

02-Apr-20

02-Apr-20

02-Apr-20
Two man drag, I love it! Congrats to your little man. Mike I know you, and I know how that hunt will end, have fun chasin fellas!

02-Apr-20
Great pic of the two. Man, I bet they were chattering after that bird went down. Envy the days you have to come.

02-Apr-20
Caley Great picture. Congratulation to the youngster.

02-Apr-20
Balds eagles worst scavenger, mind as well been a buzzard. Ben could of chose the turkey vulture!! LMAO

02-Apr-20
Thank you guys, it was pretty funny. I was lucky enough to video it. Nothing but high fives and 2 excited boys ready to get their hands on it!

02-Apr-20
That’s a big bird ! Congratulations and nothing better than sharing it with your kids !

03-Apr-20

HoytZinger's embedded Photo
HoytZinger's embedded Photo
My son and I got lucky opening morning..... numbers are not what they once were but man were they fired up.

03-Apr-20

Matte's Link
Well it is starting. I'm sure this will cause a lot of confusion. Maybe the state should look at what permits were sold and notify holders if they are to quarantine.

03-Apr-20
Nice bird young Zinger!

03-Apr-20
Awesome! Congrats to the young hunters and thanks to those getting them out.

03-Apr-20
Matte - they have no way of knowing where a hunter has been. Someone from Missouri may have been on an Osceola hunt in Florida. We did a home quarantine after Kathy went skiing. Wasn't really a big deal, but wouldn't want to do it in another state. .

03-Apr-20
Hopefully in a few weeks we can all go to making responsible decisions. Big brother cannot dictate responsible actions he is not able. If you have been in a high risk place conduct yourself responsibly

03-Apr-20
I'll be clear on my thoughts on this. If I was in charge you would need to stay in your county for everything. Unless absolutely necessary as a delivery driver with critical products. I want this thing over and the sooner the better. We will be looking at 30-40 million people in unemployment and a lot of loss of life. Nobody not one person on this site needs to leave their general area to hunt a Turkey. I love hunting and travel out of state every year to hunt but this thing is going to be brutal if it gets into the rural population. There are very little hospitals left in rural Kansas and even fewer doctors.

03-Apr-20
+1 Matte.....preach it!

03-Apr-20
Congrats to the young hunters and mentors.

Awesome pictures Kyle!

09-Apr-20

Westksbowhunter's embedded Photo
Got this one today. 1 /1/4 spurs 9 1/4 beard.

09-Apr-20

The other 2.

09-Apr-20
Nice work Jeff! They've been giving me fits but I keep telling myself "well, I get to hunt again tomorrow" ;?)

09-Apr-20
I could have filled both tags but I would rather hunt another day. That strutter there actually had 2 beards. That is the decoy on the right.

09-Apr-20
Very nice photos, and congrats.

09-Apr-20
Nice work

10-Apr-20
Good stuff, Jeff.

Glad someone is getting some decent decoy action this spring.

I don't if it's my decoys that's making the birds shy away or the 15-year-old kid squirming like he's sitting on a hot wire.

10-Apr-20
I have about 15 different decoys and the Avian X Jake is the best. I have an Avian X hen decoy but haven't used it for 3 or 4 years. Going to try and shoot the next one without the blind, just the ASAT Leafy Suit. Too windy anyway and my back hurts.

10-Apr-20

doubledrop's embedded Photo
doubledrop's embedded Photo
Had a great evening hunt after work. Nothing like kicking off the weekend chasing turkeys. Can't wait to get my kids out on a few more hunts. Good luck to you all!

11-Apr-20
Awesome stuff everyone! I see that Kansas just pulled a Nebraska and suspended out of state turkey tag sales.

11-Apr-20
Nice one.

11-Apr-20
Great bird Dylan, congrats buddy! Kyler, that was a couple days ago, but yep.

11-Apr-20
Congrats gentlemen!

12-Apr-20

doubledrop's Link
Ahh, I see the link option now. I tried to add above, but just in case any of you are really bored, I have attempted to do a quick edit and upload. Not sure why I can't get the better quality, but maybe I need to become a paying subscriber to YouTube.

12-Apr-20
Here ya go bud, should be the HD version, good stuff!

12-Apr-20
Congrats to all the successful hunters! I bet they start falling quick.

I've only got 11 more days of self quarantine in my truck before I can take my bow out of my case. Haven't seen a soul in the first 3 days and the birds are waking me up in the am with all the gobblin. :)

13-Apr-20
Thanks for that Kyle. I've decided to slowly get some of my older footage uploaded. I have always filmed for my own reasons and there is nothing better than going back to re-live past hunts with family and friends. I just need to get them out so others can enjoy and it also gives me a good reason to back them up additionally.

Some people give me a hard time about adding in the additional walking, drawing, etc., but I do it just to remember it like it was, not so much to fill it in and make it look real. I did try the second angle action cameras and that worked well until I lost it in Western Kansas. I need to get another and get back to that. I enjoy watching any outdoor footage and I know we all have our own styles and preferences. Good luck to you all!

13-Apr-20
Neat video. Congrats and thanks.

14-Apr-20

FFZYarcher's embedded Photo
FFZYarcher's embedded Photo

FFZYarcher's Link
I had a very quick season on an old KS longbeard April 7, 2020. First morning out over my new DSD turkey decoys. This ol bird never knew what hit him. I put together a video of the hunt, which is a first for me. Lots to be learned in the world of self filming and editing!

14-Apr-20
FFZY & doubledrop.....nice job of the self filming. Fun to watch. Thx for sharing your hunt with us.

14-Apr-20
Pretty cool Zach, gotta love the DSD's! P.S...that pic looks nothing like you lol

14-Apr-20
Thanks guys!

sitO it’s probably my pathetic mustache. I had to wear a face mask just to hide it!

15-Apr-20
I’m ~200 yards from a roost with about a dozen longbeards on it, and they’re hammering this morning! Best of luck to anyone getting out there amongst em!

15-Apr-20
Great pics on this thread, and congrats to those who have tagged out!

15-Apr-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Finally got-r-dun this morning

15-Apr-20
Beauty...congrats!

15-Apr-20
Congrats Kyle!

15-Apr-20
Congrats Sito.

15-Apr-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Thanks fellas, got it on video too...I'll post the footage later

15-Apr-20
Nice one Sito. No blind either!

15-Apr-20
Nice bird Kyle, well deserved without using a texas tent! Over the last couple of years I have noticed turkeys have seemed to just stay in the timber and not use fields as much. I use to think numbers are down (which they are) but I think a lot just are not as visable. Just my observation over the last couple of seasons.

15-Apr-20
Way to go Kyle!

15-Apr-20
I've only used a blind part of one season, at least 15yrs ago, and I hated it. I need to see it all!

This is a long video, but I like watching them "work" so if you want to skip to the killin'...go to 9:40

15-Apr-20
Very nice Kyle! Congratulations

15-Apr-20
Nice video and great hunt. I shot one last year without a blind, wearing my ASAT Leafy Suit. This year I bought the Mantis blind thinking it would save my back since it was lighter. Didn't save my back but I did like the blind.

15-Apr-20
You have some special talent! Congratulations.

15-Apr-20
Sweet video Kyle! Congrats. You have a lot of patience.

Was what sounded like hens clucking, was that hens that weren't in the video screen, you calling or the Tom's?

15-Apr-20
Good catch Chad, two other Tom's had snuck in from my right, and another was gobbling even further N there. I never saw them, but had a friend there taking pics and she did. They got spooked, not sure why?

I had my GoPro set up on the other side of the deke's but it stopped recording and was asking for a password about 5min into the deal? It might have caught them, and it sure would've been neat to have that angle on film in addition.

16-Apr-20
Nice video Kyle. Congrats on the bird! I love the sounds of the spring turkey woods!

16-Apr-20
Kyle, that was incredible! What a setting and I have to agree on the difference from outside the blind. I prefer that as well. I cannot believe how long they went without presenting the going away view for the draw. Unreal how you pulled off the slow bow raise too, but that was perfect timing as their heads were directly forward, where I feel they have a bit of an obstructed view. The sun glare had to help a bit too. Not only is the footage amazing, but the audio was exceptional! Just listening to the other birds and critters puts you right there. That was amazing! Thanks for sharing.

16-Apr-20
Kyle: Great job. That was a super video. What a hunt!

16-Apr-20
Lol @ the “Texas tent”! Yankees from Minnesota started the ground blind craze! Excellent video and pic Kyle! Congrats again on the longbeard!!

16-Apr-20
Fantastic video Kyle! You must’ve been hunting further east than you usually do, because that bird looks Eastern as can be.

16-Apr-20
Yeah Kyle too bad your Go Pro wasn't running during that. Great video though.

For a few seconds there I thought you may of been the best mouth turkey caller ever!!!

17-Apr-20
That was awesome! Thanks for sharing Kyle.

18-Apr-20
Congrats again Kyle!

18-Apr-20

The Kid's Link
I was able to finish my 2020 Turkey season on a really nice bird! Good luck to all those who are still holding tags!

18-Apr-20
Such a cool video and hunt Chris, I had to embed the video here...congrats again buddy!

18-Apr-20
Congrats Chris. Great video. I love how that bird was walking sideways trying to be intimidating.

18-Apr-20
Thanks Kyle for getting that posted correctly!

Appreciate it Chad! We joked that he had fancy feet during his side stepping.

18-Apr-20
Great stuff. Enjoyed being able to hear him spitting that loud. Gorgeous bird, too.

20-Apr-20
Chris that was a great video. He had some pretty impressive spurs. Your fishing line reminded me of one of my hunts many years ago. I had a couple decoys with fishing line attached to make them move. A group of birds come into the decoys. I shot (shotgun) a tom and some of the birds flew. I also had a decoy go airborne. One of the turkeys got the line caught on its leg. It came loose shortly so I recovered the decoy.

20-Apr-20
Thanks Michael!

That's awesome Lee! I bet that would have been a site to see. I have some video of a bunch of jakes getting tangled in my line while beating up the decoy. I think it just riled them up more and they took it out on the DSD.

20-Apr-20
Some great hunts. Thanks for sharing. Congrats guys.

20-Apr-20
I’ve never been much of a turkey hunter, so I hadn’t jumped on here yet, congrats on some good looking birds fellas!!

22-Apr-20
Some nice videos produced along the way. What’s everyone seeing of late? I would think it’s wide open right now. Should be some good gobbling action!

22-Apr-20
I took Mike and his son again Sunday, same place I'd shot one and had 5 Tom's coming less than a week earlier, and we couldn't get them to respond to anything again? My Dad and his buddy went there yesterday, saw a few driving in at 8am but never heard a gobble or had any come to calls? I think they are who we thought they were...any given day/moment they'll "act right" and other times they're just doing their own thing. Does that help buddy ;?)

22-Apr-20
Had them gobbling like crazy in MO. Hit the ground and shut up, saw hens with all of them, and watched two get bred.

I don't sound good enough, and no motion in my dekes they were not going to leave the real deal. It was still fun though!

Congrats to all of you who have been successful.

22-Apr-20
Kyle, you're trying to figure out a bird with testes 10X bigger than it's brains. You know, like you...in high school.

25-Apr-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Finally came together today..

25-Apr-20
Nice bird Frank, I thought all you'd been doing was typing for the last month ;?)

25-Apr-20
Lol. Kyle, I thought of you on this hunt and how hard you would laugh. It took him 20 minutes to cover the 200 yards from which I first saw him. I started videoing on my phone. He would start my direction I would grab my bow. He would stop for 5 minutes, I would grab my phone. Never tried it before. What you do takes a ton of patience and skill. Again, you would be laughing hysterically if you were there to watch me try. Keep up the good work. Your stuff is better IMO than what most/all of the videos I used to watch. Thanks.

31-May-20
Took my buddy Mark out this morning for a last day "stab" and it was a great hunt right up to the ending...

It happens!

31-May-20
Great video, seriously. Any idea where the arrow hit?

31-May-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I studied the shot many times as I edited the footage Mike. It's really hard to see entry, but in this "still" it looks to me like the arrow is going through the base of his tail. Only back feathers at the site of the shot,..greasy arrow with a little blood on the fletchings.

01-Jun-20
Great video, I especially liked the decoy cam.

01-Jun-20

cherney12's embedded Photo
cherney12's embedded Photo
Forward and low from what I can tell. Low breast or leg?

01-Jun-20
Another great video of a good hunt. Tough luck result.

01-Jun-20
Thanks guys, I initially thought breast too Patrick(after arrow inspection). Could be, really hard for these old eyes to tell, no wing or tail feathers were cut I can tell you that. The bird didn't fly but I'm not sure if that means anything. Mark was pretty dejected, but I'm not 100% that it's dead.

03-Jun-20
Dang! Another great video Kyle and looked like a fun hunting experience for you both. I love late season hunts and have witnessed some very similar aggressive behavior such as these encounters. Awesome footage!

• Sitka Gear