babysaph 01-Apr-20
gobbler 02-Apr-20
Babysaph 02-Apr-20
WVBA Sect. 02-Apr-20
Wayne Boone 02-Apr-20
gobbler 03-Apr-20
gobbler 04-Apr-20
31-Mar-20
I listened to the latest episode of the Meateater podcast today (episode 214) with Dr. Mike Chamberlain who's spent his career studying wild turkeys. He shared some amazing facts, including... Research has shown that only 20% of turkey nests produce at least one poult. I was surprised to learn that in some areas, snakes are major nest predators. I knew about coons, possoms, etc. but didn't consider rat snakes. Of those nests with at least one poult, only 33% have at least 1 poult survive the 1st month. Considering that, it's amazing we have any birds around!

31-Mar-20
It is.

01-Apr-20
Thus the need to not open the season any earlier than it is. Gobblers have to have the opportunity to breed as many hens as it can before they can be hunted . Even hunting, much less killing disrupts breeding

01-Apr-20
Agreed Gobbler. Dr. Chamberlain pointed out that killing a dominant gobbler disrutps the entire flock. I assumed the next tom in line would "step up" but he said there was a complete reshuffling of the flock dynamic which could delay or even disrupt the mating cycle. As you pointed out, the key is to let them take care of their business before we go after them.

01-Apr-20
Wish you guys would tell that to the good ole boys over here. They have been hunting them. I heard a turkey gobbling behind the house the other day and you could tell he was being called the way he was gobbling. Then I heard the shotgun go off. Uggghhh.

02-Apr-20
JR, call NRPO and report it .

02-Apr-20
I did.

02-Apr-20
I went out this evening to put up a cable across a road to keep the jack-wagons from riding their atv's thru our property (yes, I hung flagging to keep anyone from getting hurt). At 7:20 I slammed the truck door and a gobbler sounded off. He sounded like he was still on the ground and he probably gobbled 10-12 times before I loaded up and eased away. Hopefully, I didn't run him off. Not used to hearing them gobble so much so late. Man! I'm ready to go.

02-Apr-20
I watched 4 toms and 7 hens across from the house for 45 minutes today. The boss Tom strutted the whole time. I’m ready too!

03-Apr-20

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
There’s been a group of hens and a couple longbeards hanging out in the winter wheat across from the cabin. The gobblers have been strutting and gobbling off and on all day long

04-Apr-20

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo
Gobblers just hanging out and following hens

• Sitka Gear