Mike the Carpenter's embedded Photo

01-Apr-20

01-Apr-20

01-Apr-20
This video is produced by a former student and his wife. It is the county where I taught 24 years and we raised our kids.

01-Apr-20
Let your former student know that they did a wonderful job with it.

01-Apr-20

02-Apr-20
Thanks Mike. I've had the privilege of working with some great kids through the years.

02-Apr-20

HA/KS's Link
Try to explain this one!

02-Apr-20

02-Apr-20

Salagi's embedded Photo
Salagi's embedded Photo
Our students are working from home. This was my favorite of the answers I graded today, (it was from a 7th grade boy).

My second favorite answer was from a student who said "a dinosaur, because I'd like to eat one."

03-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

03-Apr-20
Ford motor in WWII

03-Apr-20

HA/KS's Link
Private enterprise is the solution and too often government is the problem. This is about a grocery store chain and how they have been preparing for this for many years.

"Inside the Story of How H-E-B Planned for the Pandemic The grocer started communicating with Chinese counterparts in January and was running tabletop simulations a few weeks later. (But nothing prepared it for the rush on toilet paper.)"

03-Apr-20
Henry...last week I saw a post about how to assemble a P-47 Thunderbolt in the field. Neat videos.

03-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

03-Apr-20

03-Apr-20

03-Apr-20

03-Apr-20

03-Apr-20
DAMN STRAIGHT!!!!

03-Apr-20

04-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

04-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Headed to the barber when the lockdown is over.

04-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
One of the great Bowsiters knew that we couldn't find yeast here so sent us some. This is the result today. White whole wheat flour French bread.

She made three loaves and I took these two to the small care home where my mom is. There are only 5 residents so two loaves allowed all residents as well as the caregiver to have fresh bread. It was still warm from the oven when I delivered it just at lunch time. All senior care centers in Kansas have been locked down for all visitors for a couple of weeks now so we can't visit mom.

I plead the 5th on where the third loaf went.

04-Apr-20
This from my daughter-in-law who is a high school math teacher and foster mom to three girls 11, 13, and 18. She is talking about her first week of teaching entirely on line. The Kansas governor closed all schools until the end of the year in mid March.

She enlisted right out of high school and spent 8 years in the Army Reserves reaching the rank of Master Sergeant. She spent a year in Kuwait and won various marksmanship awards. All of this was before I knew her and she doesn't talk much about it so I'm short on details. She always works hard and I bet her students do too.

Here are some of my thoughts/feelings after my first week of teaching online in no particular order...

1. I'm exhausted - this is mentally draining for me

2. I do not like teaching like this

3. It's even harder to keep tabs on 88 kids' when you can't see them in person

4. This is hard being away from the students and staff

5. I'm learning a lot about new websites

6. I feel like a first year teacher again with 5 preps

7. I love that the students are excited to receive an assignment from me - a math teacher...

8. You have to be really organized - students and teachers

9. I get to eat meals with my family everyday!

10. My eyes are tired of looking at a computer screen.

11. Everyday is a jean day!!!

12. I still love being a teacher and my job.

13. I miss my students, but I enjoy getting little messages from them daily.

14. I miss my teaching friends.

15. I don't feel like I am adequate, but I know I am.

To all the teachers out there who just survived their first week as an online teacher - you are awesome! To all the parents who now have a different role in your child's education - hang in there - you are important and can do this! We can do this!

I'm proud of the students and how they have stepped up to the challenge with mostly positive attitudes. Keep up the good work everyone!

04-Apr-20
Happiness is a warm loaf... ;o)

Debbie makes nice looking bread.

04-Apr-20

05-Apr-20
Mouse, that last one is too accurate!

05-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
One of my kids.

One of his brothers was murdered by a fellow soldier while in the Army and his other brother is the one I have shared here who won the Navy Cross.

His dad taught math in the room next to mine for many years.

This is the second former student who became a police officer and succumbed to cancer.

"Steamboat Springs Police Detective Sergeant Jeff Wilson lost his long battle with cancer Friday. Our hearts are with his family, his fellow officers in the police department and all who were fortunate to have had Jeff in their lives.

This evening, take a moment to remember individuals like Sergeant Wilson, who give selflessly to our community to make it a better and more positive place for all of us."

05-Apr-20
May God rest his soul.

05-Apr-20

06-Apr-20

06-Apr-20

06-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
February 9, 1888 Downs (KS) Times "- The Missouri Pacific railroad is an efficiently managed one. Few railways are so accommodating. Its passenger trains find special favor among sporting men who are allowed by the courteous conductors to step off at any point and chase a rabbit to its lair, returning to the cars again, the train never slacking its speed in the mean-time. Uriah Trothsoiler, of this city, mounted a train on the South Branch, bound for Osborne, he being equipped for shooting. While the train was rounding the curve near Terry's Bluff, he cut off on the near side with his gun over his shoulder, and when the train caught up to him at the far end of the curve, he had two jack rabbits and a speckled snipe as a result of his ramble."

I have so far been unable to determine what a "speckled snipe" is.

06-Apr-20

06-Apr-20

Annony Mouse's Link
Lawyer jokes used to be a big thing...now journalists jokes are headed to the top of the list...

"Three journalists walk into a building. You'd think one of them would've seen it."

Another: "What's 5 miles long and has an IQ of 30?" "A JOURNALIST PARADE!"

And, "Three journalists walk into bar and say 'ouch' – then write stories about how the bar is racist and phobic."

But Dr Evil suggested, "How does a journalist change a light bulb? He holds while the whole world revolves around him."

And Twitchy's pick for the winner: "What are the best four years of a journalist's life? Third grade."

Another is, "Why are there only 2 pallbearers at a 'journalist's funeral?" "Garbage cans only have two handles."

And, "How do you make a journalist's eyes light up?" "Shine a flashlight in his ear."

"What do you call 25 skydiving journalists?" "Skeet."

"How do you get a one-armed journalist out of a tree?" "Wave to them."

"What's the difference between a smart journalist and Bigfoot?" "Bigfoot has been spotted."

"Why can't a 'journalist' dial 911?" "She can't find the eleven."

"What do you do if a journalist throws a grenade at you?" "Pick it up, pull the pin out, and throw it back."

"What's the different between God and a journalist?" "God doesn't think he's a journalist."

07-Apr-20

08-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
This from my nephew who is a Marine.

08-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

08-Apr-20

HA/KS's Link
The BEE hits it again. "Bernie tests negative for President."

08-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Apparently one problem with getting enough nurses in NY (and maybe also IL) is that the unions in those states did not allow the state to join the compact so nurses could practice across state lines without taking the state test. Now they are desperate.

Rumors are that NY is offering up to $14,000/wk. Nurses tell me that they have applied but cannot get a call back because their license is good in many states but not NY or IL.

09-Apr-20

09-Apr-20

09-Apr-20

Woods Walker's embedded Photo
YIKES!!!!
YIKES!!!!

09-Apr-20

10-Apr-20

10-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

10-Apr-20
A plane has five passengers on board: Donald Trump, the Pope, Dr. Anthony Fauci, Hillary Clinton, and a ten year old school girl. The plane is about to crash and there is only four parachutes. Dr Fauci, said “I need one, I have to help develop a cure for the global health crisis that is COVID19!” He straps on a parachute and jumps. The pope said “I need one, I have to help spiritually guide people through the global health crisis that is COVID19!” He takes one and jumps. Hillary said ‘‘I need one, I’m the smartest woman in the United States.” she takes one and jumps. President Trump pauses for a moment and then turns to the 10-year-old After a deep sigh, he says tenderly, "You can have the last parachute. I've lived my life, yours is only starting". The child replies, "Don’t worry, there are two parachutes left. The smartest woman in the United States took my school backpack!

10-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

11-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

11-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
GARDEN SNAKES CAN BE DANGEROUS... Snakes also known as Garter Snakes (Thamnophissirtalis) can be dangerous Yes, grass snakes, not rattlesnakes. Here's why.

A couple in Sweetwater, Texas, had a lot of potted plants. During a recent cold spell, the wife was bringing a lot of them indoors to protect them from a possible freeze.

It turned out that a little green garden grass snake was hidden in one of the plants. When it had warmed up, it slithered out and the wife saw it go under the sofa.

She let out a very loud scream.

The husband (who was taking a shower) ran out into the living room naked to see what the problem was. She told him there was a snake under the sofa.

He got down on the floor on his hands and knees to look for it. About that time the family dog came and cold-nosed him on the behind. He thought the snake had bitten him, so he screamed and fell over on the floor.

His wife thought he had had a heart attack, so she covered him up, told him to lie still and called an ambulance.

The attendants rushed in, would not listen to his protests, loaded him on the stretcher, and started carrying him out.

About that time, the snake came out from under the sofa and the Emergency Medical Technician saw it and dropped his end of the stretcher. That's when the man broke his leg and why he is still in the hospital.

The wife still had the problem of the snake in the house, so she called on a neighbor who volunteered to capture the snake. He armed himself with a rolled-up newspaper and began poking under the couch.. Soon he decided it was gone and told the woman, who sat down on the sofa in relief.

But while relaxing, her hand dangled in between the cushions, where she felt the snake wriggling around. She screamed and fainted, the snake rushed back under the sofa.

The neighbor man, seeing her lying there passed out, tried to use CPR to revive her.

The neighbor's wife, who had just returned from shopping at the grocery store, saw her husband's mouth on the woman's mouth and slammed her husband in the back of the head with a bag of canned goods, knocking him out and cutting his scalp to a point where it needed stitches.

The noise woke the woman from her dead faint and she saw her neighbor lying on the floor with his wife bending over him, so she assumed that the snake had bitten him. She went to the kitchen and got a small bottle of whiskey, and began pouring it down the man's throat.

By now, the police had arrived. Breathe here...

They saw the unconscious man, smelled the whiskey, and assumed that a drunken fight had occurred. They were about to arrest them all, when the women tried to explain how it all happened over a little garden snake!

The police called an ambulance, which took away the neighbor and his sobbing wife.

Now, the little snake again crawled out from under the sofa and one of the policemen drew his gun and fired at it. He missed the snake and hit the leg of the end table. The table fell over, the lamp on it shattered and, as the bulb broke, it started a fire in the drapes.

The other policeman tried to beat out the flames, and fell through the window into the yard on top of the family dog who, startled, jumped out and raced into the street, where an oncoming car swerved to avoid it and smashed into the parked police car.

Meanwhile, neighbors saw the burning drapes and called in the fire department. The firemen had started raising the fire ladder when they were halfway down the street. The rising ladder tore out the overhead wires, put out the power, and disconnected the telephones in a ten-square city block area (but they did get the house fire out).

Time passed! Both men were discharged from the hospital, the house was repaired, the dog came home, the police acquired a new car and all was right with their world.

A while later they were watching TV and the weatherman announced a cold snap for that night. The wife asked her husband if he thought they should bring in their plants for the night.

And that's when he shot her.

11-Apr-20

12-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

12-Apr-20

12-Apr-20
How the Virus Stole Easter By Kristi Bothur With a nod to Dr. Seuss ??

Twas late in ‘19 when the virus began Bringing chaos and fear to all people, each land.

People were sick, hospitals full, Doctors overwhelmed, no one in school.

As winter gave way to the promise of spring, The virus raged on, touching peasant and king.

People hid in their homes from the enemy unseen. They YouTubed and Zoomed, social-distanced, and cleaned.

April approached and churches were closed. “There won’t be an Easter,” the world supposed.

“There won’t be church services, and egg hunts are out. No reason for new dresses when we can’t go about.”

Holy Week started, as bleak as the rest. The world was focused on masks and on tests.

“Easter can’t happen this year,” it proclaimed. “Online and at home, it just won’t be the same.”

Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, the days came and went. The virus pressed on; it just would not relent.

The world woke Sunday and nothing had changed. The virus still menaced, the people, estranged.

“Pooh pooh to the saints,” the world was grumbling. “They’re finding out now that no Easter is coming.

“They’re just waking up! We know just what they’ll do! Their mouths will hang open a minute or two, And then all the saints will all cry boo-hoo.

“That noise,” said the world, “will be something to hear.” So it paused and the world put a hand to its ear.

And it did hear a sound coming through all the skies. It started down low, then it started to rise.

But the sound wasn’t depressed. Why, this sound was triumphant! It couldn’t be so! But it grew with abundance!

The world stared around, popping its eyes. Then it shook! What it saw was a shocking surprise!

Every saint in every nation, the tall and the small, Was celebrating Jesus in spite of it all!

It hadn’t stopped Easter from coming! It came! Somehow or other, it came just the same!

And the world with its life quite stuck in quarantine Stood puzzling and puzzling. “Just how can it be?”

“It came without bonnets, it came without bunnies, It came without egg hunts, cantatas, or money.”

Then the world thought of something it hadn’t before. “Maybe Easter,” it thought, “doesn’t come from a store. Maybe Easter, perhaps, means a little bit more.”

And what happened then? Well....the story’s not done. What will YOU do? Will you share with that one

Or two or more people needing hope in this night? Will you share the source of your life in this fight?

The churches are empty - but so is the tomb, And Jesus is victor over death, doom, and gloom.

So this year at Easter, let this be our prayer, As the virus still rages all around, everywhere.

May the world see hope when it looks at God’s people. May the world see the church is not a building or steeple. May the world find Faith in Jesus’ death and resurrection, May the world find Joy in a time of dejection.

May 2020 be known as the year of survival, But not only that - Let it start a revival.

https://www.thissideofheavenblog.com/blog/how-the-virus-stole-easter

12-Apr-20
Thanks WW

12-Apr-20
Don't thank me, thank Him!

Happy Easter!

12-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
WW I do multiple times per day.

12-Apr-20

13-Apr-20

13-Apr-20
Hope you enjoy these…

I was so bored I called Jake from State Farm just to talk to someone. He asked me what I was wearing...

2019: Stay away from negative people. 2020: Stay away from positive people.

The world has turned upside down. Old folks are sneaking out of the house, and their kids are yelling at them to stay indoors!

You think it’s bad now? In 20 years our country will be run by people homeschooled by day drinkers…

This virus has done what no woman had been able to do…cancel all sports, shut down all bars, and keep men at home!!!

Do not call the police on suspicious people in your neighborhood! Those are your neighbors without makeup and hair extensions!

Since we can’t eat out, now’s the perfect time to eat better, get fit, and stay healthy. We’re quarantined! Who are we trying to impress? We have snacks, we have sweatpants – I say we use them!

Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, “See? This is why I chew the furniture!”

Does anyone know if we can take showers yet or should we just keep washing our hands???

I never thought the comment “I wouldn’t touch him/her with a 6 foot pole” would become a national policy, but here we are!

Me: Alexa what’s the weather this weekend? Alexa: It doesn’t matter – you’re not going anywhere.

Can everyone please just follow the government instructions so we can knock out this coronavirus and be done?! I feel like a kindergartner who keeps losing more recess time because one or two kids can’t follow directions.

I swear my fridge just said “what the hell do you want now?”

When this is over…what meeting do I attend first…Weight Watchers or AA?

Quarantine has turned us into dogs. We roam the house all day looking for food. We are told “no” if we get too close to strangers. And we get really excited about car rides.

13-Apr-20

14-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

14-Apr-20
SO true Henry!!

14-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

14-Apr-20
^^^^Unfortunately, that is more true than not...straight from CDC^^^^

14-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

14-Apr-20

15-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Not every home school is created equal. The parents are former students.

American cattlemen are in trouble. The price they get for live cattle has gone down around 40% in just a few weeks while the retail price of beef has continued to climb.

Cattlemen are losing hundreds per head and the packers are making several hundred per head (around $600 last I knew).

This can't go on much longer or America will lose a good share of beef producers and they will never come back.

15-Apr-20
Taneytown Police Department

Please remember to put pants on before leaving the house to check your mailbox. You know who you are. This is your final warning.

15-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

15-Apr-20

15-Apr-20

15-Apr-20
This is fun. It is from a guy who calls himself the Some Good News network.

SGN

A group of Covid healthcare workers gets to go to Red Sox stadium. The respiratory therapist asks "Why aren't they telling people about all of the patients who are getting off of respirators?"

AT&T three free months of service for health care workers.

15-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

15-Apr-20

15-Apr-20

15-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

16-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
Homemade masks
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Homemade masks

16-Apr-20

16-Apr-20

17-Apr-20

17-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

17-Apr-20
One thing I love is how people rally around to work together to solve problems.

18-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

19-Apr-20
There's a campaign?? Oh yeah! 2020!

Who'd have known? Thanks for the reminder! ;-)

20-Apr-20

20-Apr-20

20-Apr-20

20-Apr-20
Anyone heard anything further about the Community Forum? Figured the best place to post this question would be in the “joke” thread.

21-Apr-20
First post: "Tonight at 8:20 and 20 seconds in Military time it will be 20:20:20 2020. This only happens once in history."

First answer : "Not really it will have happened 365 times this year"

My answer "366 - it is leap year"

21-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
Hail fell in Kansas late Sunday afternoon. This about an hour SW of where I live.
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Hail fell in Kansas late Sunday afternoon. This about an hour SW of where I live.

22-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

22-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

22-Apr-20

22-Apr-20

Mike...the CF will not return. Alternative is in progress...sort of.

22-Apr-20

22-Apr-20

22-Apr-20

22-Apr-20

22-Apr-20

23-Apr-20
Been saying that last one since I was old enough to vote (30 years next month).

23-Apr-20

23-Apr-20

23-Apr-20

24-Apr-20

25-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
Imagine going through life dumber than a pigeon!
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Imagine going through life dumber than a pigeon!

25-Apr-20
HA^^^^

25-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

25-Apr-20

26-Apr-20

26-Apr-20

26-Apr-20
Pinocchio, Snow White and Superman are out for a stroll in town one day.

As they walk, they come across a sign: "Beauty contest for the most beautiful woman in the world ”

I am entering" said Snow White.

After half an hour she comes out and they ask her, "Well, how did you do? ”

"First Place" said Snow White.

They continue walking and they see a sign: "Contest for the strongest man in the world. ”

"I'm entering" says Superman.

After half an hour he returns and they ask him, "How did you make out? ”

“First Place" answers Superman. "Did you ever doubt?”

They continue walking when they see a sign: "Contest! Who is the greatest liar in the world?

Pinocchio says "This is mine. ”

Half an hour later, he returns with tears in his eyes.

"What happened?" they asked

“Who the hell is Adam Schiff?”

26-Apr-20

27-Apr-20

27-Apr-20

27-Apr-20

27-Apr-20

28-Apr-20
"Odd Blob"........LMAO!!!!

28-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

28-Apr-20

28-Apr-20

29-Apr-20

29-Apr-20

For you Henry.

29-Apr-20
Mike, I have been thinking about the seniors who are disappointed that their senior prom, graduation, and other activities have been cancelled. I would have been thrilled.

When we had he 4 day school week in Colorado, the farm families loved it.

29-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

29-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
Lowest bid. Sometimes you get just what you pay for.
HA/KS's embedded Photo
Lowest bid. Sometimes you get just what you pay for.

29-Apr-20

HA/KS's embedded Photo
HA/KS's embedded Photo

30-Apr-20
Yeah.....but if I had to lose one that'd be my choice!

Better than a "poke in the eye with a sharp stick!"

30-Apr-20

• Sitka Gear