UrbanHunter 30-Jun-20
UrbanHunter 30-Jun-20
Steveeg 01-Jul-20
Wapiti or Bust 06-Jul-20
Wapiti or Bust 06-Jul-20
08-Apr-20

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
No peas up yet... rhubarb though coming nicely. Asparagus starting to come up too.

Let's see those veggie patches!

That little shrub at the end of the garden box, to the left, is getting beat on by the deer...

08-Apr-20
Send me the asparagus over supply. You can have the peas and barb....

08-Apr-20

Huntskifishcook's embedded Photo
We've got a bunch of brassicas, lettuce and spinach in this bed. I had them growing under cover, which was great for the crops, but was also great for the slugs. We will cover them back up if we get a hard freeze at night.

08-Apr-20

Radishes, carrots, turnips, beets and garlic on this side. Onions and baby green mixes towards the middle. We should be chowing down on some salads in a month or so. It sure has been a great distraction with all the extra downtime.

08-Apr-20
Asparagus is sooo good!

HFSC,what a great spread!

08-Apr-20
Will, have you had the asparagus planted for long? If so, when did you start getting harvests? I have some crowns I'll be planting soon and from what I understand it takes a few years.

09-Apr-20
Thanks, pi.

09-Apr-20
Looks like a great set up Pi! That's going to provide a great yield!

Pi nailed it HFSC. We actually transplanted it. We had it in a garden on the other side of the house. Year one, no harvest, year two, a little - and all skinny... Year 3 on we have had quite a good bounty from it. We have a few raised beds for veggies now, and moved them into one of those. Worked out great so far.

Funny thing, when we made the raised beds my wife - the real gardener, I just move heavy stuff - used some sort of ocean fertilizer. So weeding and what not we still find some lobster parts and shells. Always cracks me up.

09-Apr-20
Looks good pi! I thought we had alot of rocks when we dug our garden, but yours takes the cake.

Will, I wonder if your wife bought black earth compost. They are located right down the street from us and we have them deliver a few cubic yards of compost every fall, you can also buy it in a bag at many garden centers. They use all sorts of crushed shellfish. Our garden has fragments of oyster shells, mussels shells and clams shells in it.

09-Apr-20

UrbanHunter's embedded Photo
I have 356 tomato, broccoli, pepper, basil plants started in the house... rhubarb just popping up, peas went in on 3/27 and 4/6... a little late this year... radish and spinach have not popped yet.. my asparagus looks to have withered away over the years...

09-Apr-20

The veggie patch is a disaster right now... but here is a picture from last year when plants finally start making their way outside... every year the patch grows bigger and bigger....

09-Apr-20
Awesome set ups guys. Pi, you know way more about this than I do. As noted, I just move heavy stuff. My wife is the brain! She'd kill for that little gardening shed/greenhouse you had!

HFSC, bet that's it. She goes to a local AGWAY and bought a bunch of bags to fill the beds. She adds some every couple years.

Urban I like how you did that, it's cool with the logs!

09-Apr-20

Pretty sweet you had a greenhouse pi. I'd like to put in a little poly tunnel, but realistically we would be pushed for space. We have a small suburban backyard and it's essentially all garden.

That's a pic from early July last summer.

09-Apr-20
If I lived alone.... I wouldn't have any lawn... Just rotating plants and veggies.... And a corn maze as the front lawn....

09-Apr-20
Urban, I thought we had alot of tomatoes planted at 36, until I saw your list. Wow!

09-Apr-20
I'm impressed guys. I just started playing around with veggies last year. My dad has a great garden, so I have a great resource to tap. I have two issues. Lack of sunlight and time to do it right. I am expanding a little this year. More tomatoes and peppers. Planted garlic last fall. Peas are in the plans. Plan to do a very small patch of potatoes. And of course, herbs for the season.

10-Apr-20
Pi, beautiful set up at your old home . Hope you're just as happy in your newer one.

10-Apr-20
Thanks pi. He's a good rabbit chaser. Good luck to you this year as well.

10-Apr-20
Pi, I sold my second home in Vt. recently which abutted a mountain to the north. Most people don't realize what a wind break the north mountain provides. It is significant. Had it 45yrs but the ride got to be too much. I was blessed with wonderful neighbors; miss them a lot. Pulled some good deer off that mountain.When my kids were in college they'd go up with their softball and track teams (not at the same time!!) and have a ball. Memories.

10-Apr-20
There actually was a river of gold 3min away.Great trout fishing started when the Memorial Day hatches exploded. One day I left early and missed a Hexagenia hatch (giant mayflies) when big trout feed on top. I still think about the hatch that got away.

15-Apr-20

I got the last of the broccoli seedlings transplanted today in a new-ish raised bed. I had to install a new deer fence this year. The deer wiped out the 9 rhubarb plants on the left last year. ( I though rhubarb leaves were toxic????) I didn't think the plants would come back this year. But so far so good. The bird dog's nose says the deer are working the perimeter but the fence is proving to be a better deterrent.

15-Apr-20
Nice Urban! We transplanted the last of our cool weather crops this afternoon, kohlrabi, baby Bok choy, swiss chard and cilantro. Fortunately we dont have to worry about deer, or unfortunately I suppose. We did have to build a small fence to keep the dogs out. They are fine when summer crops get full size, but they were stomping all over our newly emerging seedlings.

15-Apr-20

Will's embedded Photo
Will's embedded Photo
Asparagus growing fast!

09-May-20
When should I plant my brassicas ?

09-May-20
First time planting brassicas in the food plot

14-May-20

The peas, garlic,chives, rhubarb are going strong... Last year's frozen harvest was served up tonight.... 2019 Pheasant and Veggie Harvest!

14-May-20
Mmm looks good!

14-May-20
Urban, that's a 24.99 plate all day long !

14-May-20

Looking good urban!

The garden should really start taking off with this warmer weather. We've been harvesting lettuces, spinach, kale, radishes and a handful of early herbs for a couple weeks. Potatoes went in the ground yesterday and lots of tomatoes to harden off. Now if I could just put an arrow through a turkey!

14-May-20
Thanks, Xi!!! I got coupons ??! I will argue that the next 3 weeks are the veggie rut! I have20 lettuce plants ready for transplant but not before heavy rain blows thru... plus I have green bean, cucumber and sunflower FIRST planting to go in.... Saturday will be busy... And every Saturday till deer season? Be Well!

16-May-20
Thanks Pi

16-May-20
Dinner tonight is venison tacos with a side of asparagus from the garden. Yummy!!!

17-May-20

Love asparagus!! Asparagus is such an early treat from the garden.... (I need to re-establish them ...)

I am starting the process of hardening off the tomato plants... I will happy to get these ladies in the ground in a couple of weeks... Its time for them to leave the nest!!

29-Jun-20
Ill try to get a pic today Pi. We had some issues with a woodchuck, which resulted in us catching a mom chuck in a have a heart, and they neighbor catching 4 over the last week! So we lost some stuff... But the tomato's are growing well and the lettuce is too...

29-Jun-20

Our garden is doing well. Tomatoes are about waist high. I'll have to add an extension to their 8 foot stakes some time in July. Potatoes growing strong, cukes and melons are starting to trellis upwards. Onions are beginning to bulb and we harvested a years worth of garlic a couple days ago. A few beds are now growing their second succession of crops. We also had some failures. I put a few crops, such as napa cabbage and broccoli out very early. The cold spring made them think they went through a winter and as soon as it warmed up they bolted. What I enjoy about growing food is it's a constant learning experience. Much like hunting I don't think you ever "arrive".

29-Jun-20

This mornings harvest: baby carrots, young leeks, beets, and kohlrabi.

29-Jun-20
now...the real question is...are deer frightened by 'Asparagus Pee'????

jealous guys...we grow a few herbs and a few tomoto & pepper plants in buckets, but get most of our veggies from local CSA farm shares. would love to garden but I've just got too many hobbies as is.

29-Jun-20
Hunts Looking really good! Love garden tomatoes!

29-Jun-20
They are not Hick. I may or may not 'speek' from experience...

29-Jun-20
Thanks Dawg. Tomatoes straight from the garden are one of the best parts of summer.

30-Jun-20

Pulling tons of peas, garlic will be ready in 2 weeks, tons of lettuce and rhubarb. Everything else is progressing.... have many hives with honey towers like this one... I will be busy this long weekend extracting honey...

30-Jun-20

30-Jun-20

01-Jul-20

Steveeg's embedded Photo
Steveeg's embedded Photo
Pretty sure my z5 north is way behind some of you.

06-Jul-20

Wapiti or Bust 's embedded Photo
Wapiti or Bust 's embedded Photo
Purple peas

06-Jul-20
Purple peas

• Sitka Gear