pogo 09-May-20
jdbbowhunter 09-May-20
woodsman 10-May-20
SaddleReaper 12-May-20
Pat Lefemine 21-May-20
bas4109 21-May-20
pogo 22-May-20
18-Apr-20
Been practicing my shooting skills in my basement at 10 yards, trying to keep my arrows in a three inch or less group. I’m planning on taking a nice spring gobbler this coming season. Next week I move my practice sessions outside shooting within the confines of my ground blind. I shoot a 60” recurve so I have to cant my bow a good 45 degrees so my upper limb doesn’t hit the roof of the blind. I took a nice gobbler from that blind a few years back using my recurve. I’m hoping to do it again this May.

19-Apr-20
Good luck to you. Im sure itll all come together.

20-Apr-20
Thank You, jdbbowhunter...I’m hoping it does too... What about you? Are you going to try for a longboard with your bow?

20-Apr-20
I may, with work being slow may allow me a little more tjme to turkey hunt.

20-Apr-20
Actually going to take a buddies grandson out for youth season. Looking forward to that. I will enjoy seeing him get a bird , more than I would myself.

21-Apr-20
Same here, I will be taking out one of my grandsons for youth weekend. Should prove to be a fun time especially if he connects. Good Luck to you & your Grandson.

22-Apr-20
Good Iuck what unit are you hunting?

22-Apr-20
I live in Upstate New York in the Adirondack foothills. I’ll be hunting what we call within the Northern Zone or tier of the state. The other zone or tier is called the Southern Zone. I also hunt there as well but not as often. Where do you call home and where will you be hunting?

22-Apr-20
I live in Niagara county 9A and bowhunt this area for whitetails. I spend most of my time for turkeys and do some deer hunting in Cattaraugus County in 9M.

23-Apr-20
I got home earlier than expected from our motorhome trip south and have placed my blind in my favorite field corner about 200 yards from a popular roost area.

I've killed a couple with my bow from this same spot and hope to do it again next Friday.

27-Apr-20
Got out this weekend with the kids. Didn't kill anything, but heard some birds an saw a few. No shots. But was a good time introducing them to spring turkey season. Asked if they wanted to go again, They said oh yea! So hopefully we'll be back after it this weekend!

30-Apr-20
Good luck tomrrow for all those heading out for the opener!

30-Apr-20
Good luck and be safe tomorrow . Let’s hope this weather improves.

30-Apr-20
I’ll be heading out tomorrow mornings with my sons. Hopefully we will hear a gobble or two and maybe even be able to work a bird into range. Good luck guys, shoot straight and be safe. Can’t wait to hear your stories on how you nailed the big one.

08-May-20

SaddleReaper's embedded Photo
Arrowed this gobbler yesterday morning at 13 yards from a "natural blind". He approached quietly and squared up to my jake decoy. After circling it once, strutting and contemplating his next move, he rotated to face the decoy which was facing me, and dipped his head below his back line... check mate. It all happened fast and thankfully he expired in mere seconds.

Side note: This was one of 5 long beards I called across the genesee river that morning. Only 3 left as my friend filled a tag as well with his 10ga. I find it interesting many published pieces says they don't like to cross fences, water ways, etc.. however over the years I've called countless birds across that river.

08-May-20
Nice shooting SaddleReapet and also, nice setup. Interesting to hear you were hunting near the Genesse River...I have a camp in “Birdsall” where my son’s and I hunt deer and turkey. Great pic’s by the way.

08-May-20

08-May-20
SaddleReaper- nice shooting and beautiful bird!

08-May-20

skipmaster1's embedded Photo
skipmaster1's embedded Photo
I’m up in VT now for a while and decided to try my luck here.

Well the VT opener started with pouring rain. I had set my blind the day before based on scouting, recent sightings and terrain features. The rain broke around 7:30am and around 8:00 I heard a gobble a long ways off. For the next almost hour I called very little and would rarely get a response but when he did gobble he was closer. I heard 2 more off in the opposite direction, so I was feeling hopeful. Just before 9:00am I could hear him drumming and knew he was close. 5 seconds later he was posturing on my Jake decoy at maybe 7 yards. I drew, settled in and focused on shooting a perfect arrow. Everything slowed down, my clicker popped and the arrow hit the feather I was looking at. The bird hopped off about 30 yards peeling string tracker line with it! He was down in seconds. I caught the shot of film too! He had confused me as he came in because I saw him for all of 20 seconds before drawing on him.... and his beard was short and blond. I’ve never seen that before. I guess it froze or rotted off. He was legal so I gave him the green light! I’m so pumped it worked out so well today!

09-May-20

pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
pogo's embedded Photo
Hi friends...... I've been out several times already with some luck. So far I've passed on three Jake's. Yesterday I saw my first Tom but he had hens and wouldn't any closer than 40 yards or so. He was a real big bird.

This morning I carried my 835 and set up in the oaks where he was yesterday. No gobbles heard this morning and I was reminded I am getting old. I was very uncomfortable sitting on the ground so after an hour and a half, I went back to my blind.

Once there, I was comfortable and was able to drink some hot coffee and eat some of my cookies. About an hour later, I heard some hen clucks coming from the oaks but no gobbles. I called a few minutes later and saw a strutter about 100 yards away. I was very softly calling about every five minutes and he would come a little closer along with his two hens.

He finally decided to find his new lover and came strutting and gobbling his fool head off. I shot him at just under 30 yards. His stats are 23.75 pounds, 1 1/4 spurs, three beards... one 12", one 6" and one 5"!

He is one STUD of a bird. I wished he would have cooperated when I had my bow in hand but I'm happy to have harvested him with my Mossberg 835. He is my second biggest bird of my lifetime.

09-May-20
Awesome bird!!

10-May-20
Nice birds guys, congrats to all!

12-May-20
Thanks guys! Congrats to you all who've found success. Seems NY bird numbers have yet to improve..

John - near that river is my favorite place to hunt by far. Something about it just draws wildlife like a magnet. Admittedly there are times I get tired of only having the fenclines and extremely sparse woods around it to hunt (since most of the land is farmed), but that quickly changes when the action heats up.

19-May-20
Congratulations guys...you guys did it the hard way...congratulations again, my hunting hat is off as a salute to you guys.

19-May-20
Great gobbler...Congratulations Pogo...

21-May-20
Thats's awesome. I'm so envious. I can't find the birds anywhere this year.

21-May-20
Great bird Pogo!

22-May-20
Thanks bas4109. He was indeed a stud!

• Sitka Gear