writer 27-May-20
ksq232 27-May-20
keepemsharp 27-May-20
writer 28-May-20
writer 28-May-20
sitO 28-May-20
27-Apr-20

crestedbutte's Link
When link opens just page up to see article. Please stay safe out there!!!!

27-Apr-20
I just get a blank page.

27-Apr-20
Very sad, prayer sent for a full recovery.

27-Apr-20
Ben you gotta give it about 5 seconds to load. Then scroll up/down whatever and you will see article.

27-Apr-20
I got news of this yesterday morning, hits too close to "home". So glad the young hunter and his dad are safe now.

There's no excuse for this situation to have occurred, none.

28-Apr-20
Wish the sheriff's department would use the word "poacher" instead of "hunter," for the shooter, but they don't...

Saw a pic of the kid last night, smiling, heading home.

28-Apr-20
Agreed, Mike. I was in Boy Scouts with a kid who grew-up without a dad due to a poacher on a turkey hunt. I had some beers with him a couple of months ago. I told him I still think about that incident when I hit the turkey woods. I often opt for the pop-up blind in the middle of a field for safety (also keeps away ticks and poison ivy).

Say what you want about "well, I'm on private land" and throwing caution to the wind. A couple of years ago I caught a father/son from Arkansas trespassing on my ranch trying to sneak-in on my roosted birds.

28-Apr-20
Good news the kid is gonna be OK!! Sorry I have been too close to stuff like this and it should never have happened. Shawn

30-Apr-20
how do you know he was a poacher ? did he not have a license to hunt turkeys? he was shooting at a turkey.....was it a tom/jake decoy? a legal hunter made a grievous mistake, that doesnt make him a poacher...... a bad turkey hunter yes.

30-Apr-20
Terrible!!! Tag or no tag...poacher or legitimate hunter....there is ZERO excuse for this....period!!

30-Apr-20
archer...hunting where he didn't have permission, took the shot from a vehicle, was attempting to take a turkey with a .22.

Those are factual, indirectly from the family.

01-May-20
Writer I think most of us did not have the details on what happened. I am sure that many, including myself, did not know this happened from a vehicle and with a .22. If that is the case, then yes a poacher, felon, and criminal.

01-May-20
Thanks, Clip. I'm hoping to interview the father, but we'll see if the family wants to continue the experience.

I got private updates from mutual friends well ahead of the press release and had been part of discussions on other sites.

Kid is home and looks like a full recovery.

01-May-20
Have there been any charges filed?

01-May-20
Matt, I hope to learn more from the family in a day or two.

01-May-20
writer, thanks for the info/rest of the story......many years ago i had an idiot taking shots at nearly a 1/4 mile at my decoys with a high powered rifle.......

02-May-20
I used to think it was antlers that made some men do dumber things for antlers than they would for sex or money. Better add turkey beards and breast meat, I guess. Way long ago, when most of today's trees were saplings, I did a turkey hunting seminar and when the safety part mentioned to keep road hunters in mind when setting up with a decoy. Later that season someone at the talk started to hunt with a hen decoy between where he sat and the road. He remembered the advice, and moved to the side about 20 yards. A little later someone stopped on the road and sent a high-powered bullet over the decoy and into the woods where he'd have been sitting. Might not have hit him. Might have. Don't get it.

03-May-20
Easy Button syndrome Mike? Perhaps the need for public recognition for shooting the first, largest, earliest taken record book entry, to be able to brag on a public forum etc.

Low lifes

03-May-20
Could be, Randy, but this man was of a faith to not have a camera.

And it’s not like killing a turkey is that big of a deal.

But we saw what one guy did trying to shoot a goose he’d probably wouldn’t even have picked up.

Still don’t know how you kept from clicking him in the brief face to face.

04-May-20
I was referring to what hunting seems to have evolved into in general, to be the first to tag, to kill the biggest, to win contests, to be done first etc.

Happens far too often, one of our friends has video that shows it does happen, they experienced the same on public with a puke hunting turkey with a rifle.

I had a family to provide for, couldn't go to jail.

09-May-20
Boy is back in the hospital, surgery to find what’s causing signs in infection.

09-May-20
That is terrible! Prayer sent, please keep us posted.

Someone above said they place their blind more in the open to try and avoid this. I always placed mine against the edge, but since this thread I am more in the open now. Even though I am on private, I think that is good advice. Thanks.

09-May-20
Just hope they can stop the infection, and he can move on quickly past this incident.

Again, there's no excuse...this should never have happened.

10-May-20
Prayers up that the young man recovers! Did they happen to catch the low life POS who is responsible for this??

10-May-20
Yes, the person returned to the scene after initially leaving.

No charges filed, but initial investigation just completed.

10-May-20
Surgery went well, including removing a bone fragment from his brain.

26-May-20

writer's Link
Boy's healing, an assortment of hunters and anglers helped bring something positive from the near disaster for the kid and his family.

27-May-20
Thanks for keeping us abreast of the ongoing story here MP, hope his lifetime license gets as much use as mine has or more!

27-May-20

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Kyle, kid on the left. Last weekend.

27-May-20
Awesome picture! Glad the family is feeling the love from outdoorsmen.

27-May-20
That there warms the heart!

27-May-20
I don't care who you are that there is as great as it gets.

28-May-20
Kyle - the money for Jarett’s lifetime was raised from a raffle that gave away a second lifetime combo. (100 tickets, $20 each)

The man who won the raffle’s license has also offered that one to the family.

28-May-20
Double post

28-May-20
Lots of good can come from something like this...we've see that before and it just adds fuel to the fight.

• Sitka Gear