Dale06 05-May-20
Trophyhill 06-May-20
KYELKAHOLIC 11-May-20
OCHO505 07-Jun-20
jdee 18-Jun-20
jdee 18-Jun-20
Dyjack 20-Jun-20
03-May-20
I suppose it’s pretty early, but I’ll ask anyway. I’m hunting south of Albuquerque Sept 18-24. Wondering how rain fall has been and whether sitting by water might be a good tactic. This is on a large private ranch. Any opinions?

04-May-20
It's way too early to say how the waterholes will be come September. If I had the late archery hunt I would spend more time calling then hunting water.

04-May-20
Thanks oryx35.

04-May-20
I would think the rancher should be able to provide all the info you'll need for how to hunt since it's private. I agree, late season I wouldn't spend much/any time hunting water...

05-May-20
There are a lot of factors that you won't know until you are hunting. Some years it rains every other day in September and some years hunting water is the best option. I very much prefer to chase bugles on the second hunt but if it's dry you need to do a combination of both. Keep an open mind and use whatever tactics give you the best chance at the best bull. It's really hard to call a dominant bull away from his cows but if he's coming to water every few days, that changes everything.

05-May-20
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments and advice. It’s a private land, 40,000 acres hunt. I’ve arrowed a few elk, as has my buddy that’s on the trip. Will be my sons (40 years old) first elk hunt. So he is excited, and I’m doing what I can to get him a shot.

06-May-20
Water could be productive. If it's private, the elk probably hit certain known water year round.......

11-May-20
Might be water standing everywhere down there in September.

07-Jun-20
I personally don’t think it matters if there is standing water everywhere they like to hit the same holes especially if they aren’t bothered. Even if you find water before the hunt put cameras up while your hunting. The rut can change patterns and the same with hunting pressure. Don’t make the mistake some hunters do... trying to put elk where they aren’t.

18-Jun-20
If we don’t get some moisture in S central NM by Sept there won’t be any water to sit, !! It is bone dry, sunny and hot every day I haven’t seen anything more than a little sprinkle since the end of March.

18-Jun-20
If we don’t get some moisture in S central NM by Sept there won’t be any water to sit, !! It is bone dry, sunny and hot every day I haven’t seen anything more than a little sprinkle since the end of March.

20-Jun-20
If it's dry as hell and you find the only source of water. You definitely can kill off it.

• Sitka Gear