writer 02-Jul-20
Habitat 02-Jul-20
Thornton 02-Jul-20
Habitat 02-Jul-20
Thornton 02-Jul-20
cherney12 03-Jul-20
Shawn 03-Jul-20
05-May-20
Time to get back on track, for one of the most challenging events of our lives.

Apologies for contributing to the derailment of part 2.

05-May-20
Apologies from me also.

Just an FYI...Robin's dentist re-opened yesterday. They had a full patient schedule and do for the rest of the week. Very surprised.

05-May-20
Still not good here, we lost 9 residents since Friday. Sorry but it has been a shit show where I work. Installing commercial washers and dryers because we have trouble getting gowns. Than the folks handling the contaminated gowns have no clue what they are doing, so we believe that contributed to several more employees getting infected. People not social distancing, I saw a party on Sat with no less than 100 people in a yard at someone's house and non wore a mask or seemed to care. I am sure they were not all family. Stay safe because here in NY we have a ways to go! Shawn

05-May-20
The state here has a system now to disinfect our N95s so we can package and they do that,we are wearing surgical mask on every call and taking extra steps such as 1 EMT goes and does triage while rest stay outside,have patient come outside if able and weather permitting.They have been doing the fecal transplant for a while for when Drs have to kill all your good bacteria.It usually has to come from a family member.Always wondered if you got a sticker that said I gave a sh*t with a happy face

05-May-20
Curious what the fecal transplants have to do with covid? They are usually only done in cases of severe bacterial infections.

05-May-20
Go to the 1:12:30 -1:15 mark and you can find out. I have only posted this interview in both COVID-19 threads Part 1 & 2....and now 3. The discussion centers around the use of Pro-biotics vs. Fecal Transplants....looks like FT is the "clear" winner and more of a benefit when recovering from something like Clostridium Difficile Infection!

As we all know, COVID-19 likes to attack those patients with an already underlying condition or infection and if FT does better at clearing up a re-occurring/ongoing stomach bacteria or abdominal pain infection issue like that...then maybe less chance for a patient to succumb to COVID?

05-May-20
I wouldn't know,like you said usually done when they have to give super antibiotics

05-May-20
Covid causes secondary bacterial infections, which in turn cause all the normal flora to die when high powered abx are used, resulting in irreversible GI upset. The only correction is transplanting normal flora back into the gut in an effort to "reset" it. Elementary medicine but I thought you meant it was used to treat covid, which is certainly not the case. My work computer blocks a lot of these lined videos.

05-May-20
I couldn't make sense of my own post, so I deleted it. Back to normal.

05-May-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
When this video becomes available, I would highly recommend it. It gives a detailed timeline of events of China's coverup and tampering with the virus. It's not a conspiracy video, but very factual.

05-May-20

05-May-20
If the video is not out yet how do you know it’s credible and factual ? What is the source of the video? Who made it?

05-May-20
Shawn in many posts you talk about staying at home, social distancing, masks, and so on. You tell us how bad it is in NY. Is it Iowa that you are going to go hunt this year? Is that a wise decision? Will you not be taking that big city virus to small town Iowa? Shouldn't you pass on that trip this year until we get this thing under control?

05-May-20
Probably be best if Shawn vacated the city but still use social distancing precautions. KsFlatlander- lots of stuff said that we already know about the virus and several things pointed out that ER physicians I work with have noticed. Two of them are from the middle east where it hit hard.

06-May-20
I have been tested and found to have the anti-bodies. Does that mean I cannot get sick again? The doctors cannot say, but I feel better now. I will be tested again I am sure as all of our health care workers will be in the coming months. I obviously have had it and really had no clue. Also I found out the test I had can show positive for any of the Corona related viruses that have been around a long time. Time will tell! Shawn

06-May-20
Everyone stay safe PLEASE USE YOUR HEAD TO STOP THE SPREAD!!!! Shawn

06-May-20
Thornton- you didn’t answer my questions. Who made the film and how do you know it’s factual?

Definitely appreciate all of you health care workers out there.

06-May-20
Ok Ryan, type in Graham Allen in your browser and watch the video, or not, what ever trips your trigger. Of course, make your own conclusions as to the validity of the video. I thought in my PM to you would have figured that out. Sorry, I wasn't more specific.

06-May-20
Ok Dale- first, I asked Thorton some questions...only questions...about his statements. I tend to look at sources before I consume information so I figured Thorton would know all about it since he said it was factual information. I seriously wanted to know how he knew that.

You don't like my questions...don't answer them as they were not directed at you. They were simple questions. If a guy says something is factual or legit you have an issue with someone asking why they think so? Dale, I don't know you but I'm starting to see a trend.

06-May-20
OK, Ryan. You win! I lose! I though you should have seen from his post who produced the video and figure out where to go to look at the video before asking the questions. Give Frank my best.

06-May-20

KSflatlander's Link
Turning Point USA is the source. An alt-right group that puts out propaganda. Proceed with caution. I’m still curious as to what makes Thorton think the video is factual. His response of he knows some emergency room doctors that know some stuff. Uh, ok.

06-May-20
How do we know “Media Bias/Fact Check” is a reliable source?

06-May-20
Cause I’m checked it out

06-May-20

KSflatlander's Link
“Media Bias Fact Check - Evaluates over 1300 news sources for bias, and rates them on a continuum (left, left-center, least biased, right-center, right) using this methodology. Also rates news sources on how factual their reporting is, and the quality of their sources, using a high / mixed / low scale. Provides lists of news sources that are 'fake', whether pseudoscience, conspiracy theory, or satire.”

06-May-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Anybody been fishin?

06-May-20
Not yet but heading to Missouri for one last turkey hunt this weekend. Plan on getting the boat out next week. The big females should be up soon down here. Most are still catching males shallow.

06-May-20

Catscratch's embedded Photo
Yep!

06-May-20
Been catchinthe crappiespretty good the last week.

07-May-20

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
Yep

Sorry, I forgot to square up the pic to straighten it up before posting.

07-May-20

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Has been one of the best crappie years I can ever remember.

07-May-20
^^^ that is a beautiful crappie!

07-May-20
Beautiful fish guys.

07-May-20
Should you all really be out fishing and not holed up under your beds as bad as this thing is? I saw on CNN that the Virus can float down wind for 9 miles and kill anyone along its path. What might seem like a harmless fishing trip could kill the 30,000,000 people that were laid off because of the Virus. Be careful out there!

07-May-20
Charlie - you’ve been the guest at where that crappie, and many others, were caught that day.

07-May-20
Nice Crappie. I have been hitting them hard. We caught a few up to 15 inches. They are now in the 10 inch range.

07-May-20

My biggest this year. Only 14.5" but very thick and heavy

08-May-20
Dang all these pics is making me want to slow down and go fishing. Problem is the economy is so good right now that I'm busier now it seems like than I've ever been. Very good problem to have though and I'm sure not complaining...just saying these pics of fish looks like a relaxing and fun time...ya'll keep it up and catch some for me while ya'll at it.

08-May-20
That fish looks every bit of 14.5”, Jason. Comparing our fish is perfect to distinguish white and black crappie.

11-May-20

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

11-May-20

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo

11-May-20

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Not only did I do it wrong, I did it wrong, twice. Thankfully fly rods are low tech.

11-May-20
Yea, and we have a fishing thread now too...we don't need excuses Mike we need action ;?)

Nice "mess"!

11-May-20
Didn't want to horn in on your family thread, Kyle.

11-May-20
lol

12-May-20
Are any of you "experts" listening to the LIVE coverage of the Senate Committee Hearing on Re-Opening US that is underway this morning? Pretty enlightening!

Head of the Nat'l. Allergy & Infectious Disease (Dr. Fauci) and other top US gov't doctors are testifying on the concerns and plans that should be in place at getting Americans safely back to work.

You can either choose to hear the info. of COVID-19 affects on our country first hand from the real leading experts and the current status of vaccine development, etc. or choose to recycle a news channel's views or columnists article, biased view/agenda summary of the hearing...your choice? I prefer to listen directly from the experts who are on the "hot seat" right now taking and answering questions being fired at them from the Senate and then form my own opinion.

The great thing is so far they aren’t wasting everyone’s time discussing virus origins, conspiracy theories, etc. The hearing is more about...we got a nat’l. healthcare and economic crisis and how are we going to work together to “manage it”....notice I didn’t say fix or get past it!

Might as well settle in as this healthcare and economic crisis roller coaster ride Is going to be a LONG one!

12-May-20

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Sen. Pat Roberts (KS) with rubber gloves on discussing Dodge City as a KS COVID-19 hotspot due primarily to the packing plants. He is concerned about harm to our future food value chain....farming/pork/cattle industry.

12-May-20

Interesting slide showing COVID-19 management and how South Korea and US results differ.

Notice the dates and results are virtually the same in Jan 2020 & March 2020. However, in May 2020 (deaths & unemployment) totals and rates drastically change?

Yes, I know SK is a smaller country and US population is 6X bigger than SK’s....but interesting info. none the less, No?

12-May-20
Been following it, and am not surprised it is a political football. Still believe this is very serious and agree with you that it is a long way from being over and much worse than the flu!

12-May-20

Hmmmm....this Sen. needs a hair or shampoo deal?

12-May-20
Wonder who told Pat Roberts there are meat packing facilities in Dodge City?

12-May-20
It doesn't take too much time in Dodge to remember the stink.

12-May-20
very informational. Was nice to hear the experts believe there is no excuse for not being fully prepared by the Fall.

12-May-20
3 million Europeans entered NY in the month or so before we found the virus. They did not stay in NY but went all over the country. The Chinese are not too blame, no one really. Its a virus. The Spanish flu, guess who they think got that going in America, our own service men returning from overseas. I see we are opening things back up, I myself am a bit worried about it, this time of year the virus's that come and go do just that, starting in May and by July most rarely show, but than in late Sept and Oct. they rear their ugly head again. I am hoping this is not the case and things go well, but at my job we still have 31 positive residents and at least that many employees. Its as bad now as it has ever been at my work, although the rest of my area is looking better all the time. My nerves believe it or not are shot and I am not a guy who worries a whole lot about life and death things, but this is different. I see death several times a week at my job all year and every year, again this is different!! Last year we lost 280 people for the year. This year we have lost over 200 and the year is young, no family there for the people either, families standing outside in the rain and cold for 4 days outside a loved ones window, waiting for them to die. Sorry that just isn't right. Lucky it is not one of my family member as I believe they would need an army to stop me from getting in to say Goodbye!!! We are now being tested twice a week whether we have tested positive for the anti-bodies or not. That is all staff and several of us tested positive for the anti-bodies having never tested positive for the virus!! We had 3 die yesterday and 1 more today. One wing was decimated and out of the 35 residents on that wing in March there is only a handful left, I am not a religious man but I do know there is a greater being and right now I hope to hell he stops this suffering because these families cannot take much more of this!! Please be safe, still practice social distancing when you can and wear a mask for now. I still have not gotten to hold my grandchildren or my own kids and because I am at Covid Central it will be a long while for me so please keep me and everyone in your thoughts here in NY as it really does help!! Shawn

12-May-20
You haven’t left our prayers yet Shawn. Take care over there.

12-May-20
We are finding out the antibody test is very inaccurate as is the actual covid test. The antibody test is supposed to be #19 specific but we've discovered all Corona viruses are causing it to be positive. On top of that, the actual covid test has repeatedly read "negative" on some patients that have been admitted with all the symptoms. Providers treat the patient according to symptoms just like they do with the worthless influenza tests. We still aren't seeing many patients in Wichita and I have not treated any in 2 weeks.

13-May-20
I think thats the honorable lady from Georgia who's husband runs the New York Stock exchange and who sold all her stock positions (over 1M btw) after private Senate briefings on the virus per reports.She can afford a stylist

22-May-20

Go get some fresh air. As an ER nurse, I can tell you nothing good will come of locking yourself in a house.

22-May-20
Ain’t that the truth Jason.

26-May-20
Been a while since Shawn did an update. I hope everything is ok.

Thorton it's been a few days for you too. Anything virus related worth mentioning in Wichita?

26-May-20
Nada. Treated 2 day before yesterday and 1 was admitted. They are usually transferred to our covid unit at the main hospital before I even get the test results back. If I can remember her name I can look her up and monitor her progress. In the last 2 months, I have yet to treat someone that is critical on arrival.

04-Jun-20

NCK's Link
Neil Ferguson who predicted 3 million deaths and one of the reasons US & UK went into lock down now thinks Sweden had it right......imagine that an expert got it wrong and 35 million people on unemployment. Whoops

04-Jun-20

04-Jun-20
What do they give you guys up there in NCK to make you love the right wing propaganda so much?

04-Jun-20
HFW----Old information

"Number 12" - What part of the link was "propaganda"? But to answer your question Brians........they give us Brains

04-Jun-20
Brians? How many Brians are in NCk? The part where hindsight is 20/20 and saying it was a success even though their death rate is higher than ours. Clown logic.

04-Jun-20
Lol!

05-Jun-20
“Right wing propaganda”

Lol, sounds like someone’s been watching too much MSNBC.

05-Jun-20
Did that hurt your feelings? I’m sorry.

05-Jun-20
All these looters and protesters should be dead within a month.

05-Jun-20
Saw a headline that supposedly nobody that was at the lake of the ozarks party got infected. Must not be very contagious in the heat an humidity. Party on Garth.

05-Jun-20
Feelings aren’t hurt. Just not used to leftist talking points on a Kansas hunting forum. Can’t tell if you’re being serious or not.

05-Jun-20
I was being serious. It's not leftist to point out that the right wing talking points are often wrong. I'm a right leaning moderate. Registered republican.

05-Jun-20
The Telegraph is hardly “right wing propaganda”, but I digress.

06-Jun-20
Some will be asymptomatic and others it will pass like a common virus.

06-Jun-20
As of early last week the first case from the big party in the Ozarks has been found. Just as many say Sweden had it wrong.

Now, Cherney, we all know you, me and everybody else are “sheep” because we don’t follow the conservative right wing step for step, without questioning any of it.

07-Jun-20
We are down to 11 active cases at my work. All the staff is being tested twice a week. There are reports showing that you can be re-infected and we have had several people who recovered and showed no signs or symptoms and tested negative and a couple weeks later tested positive. The anti-body tests, even the newest one still seems to be only about 60-70 percent accurate from what I have seen or read. The only good thing it appears that in my facility it has killed all that it can the rest of the folks seem to have held up well against it. We lost at least 31 to it and many doctors say it was more and the cause of death was listed as sonething else. I have at least been able to see and hold my grandchildren again in the last 10 days as the constant testing has quelled my son-in-laws fear that I could infect them. My daughter on the other hand said all along if it happens it happens, we are strong and healthy and we will get through it. Things are opening up so we have gone from 3 active cases to 11 in a matter of days but again the testing is ten fold of what it was a 3 weeks ago. we will see what happens in the next few weeks as our state opens up. Lets hope it slows way down, cause I know all the doctors I speak to worry it will get bad again in the late fall. Shawn

07-Jun-20
They've found out the antibody test is reading positive for all strains of corona and not just #19 as it was intended. The actual #19 test is not reliable at all. We had a patient they tested 3 times with all the classic symptoms and it read negative every time. Their family member had no symptoms and tested positive.

07-Jun-20
Thanks for the update, Shawn.

Glad you got to see your grandkids again. We missed out for two months, too.

Stay well.

07-Jun-20
I hope no one starts a "Chinese Corona Virus" thread 4.

08-Jun-20

08-Jun-20
Thanks Michael, I know Thornton is

08-Jun-20
Saying. We had one resident tested 9 times on a unit and was negative when virtually everyone else tested positive on that unit everyone. He was moved to a quote healthy unit and tested 3 days later and was positive. Doctors say he was positive all along just the results were skewed. It's getting better and the heat seems to be helping just don't get complacent as most doctors and health professionals I know say it will fade but not go away and as soon as late fall rolls around it will be back, let's just hope it as bad!! Shawn

09-Jun-20

10-Jun-20

10-Jun-20
Interesting, a nation that initiated some of the tightest guidelines is one of the first to re-open.

No doubt their relatively small population and isolation helped tremendously. Besides, how could such a disease survive in such a beautiful nation.

New Zealand is the only nation I wish I didn't have to leave when the assignment was over.

Kyle, you need to fly over and just bum around the country. World class mountains and beaches, fjords, deserts, fantastic hiking trails, a population that generally loves Americans and a heck of a lot of hunting and fishing opportunities.

Be careful, those silly people drive on the wrong side of the road.

29-Jun-20
"Mandatory mask's" starting Friday in KS?

29-Jun-20
School is going to be different, if at all this fall. I am thinking we are going to have some upset NR hunters this fall.

29-Jun-20
Our governor is nuts....

29-Jun-20
Laura can go pound sand...

29-Jun-20
Seeing quite a few people showing up to be tested. Seems they all have media induced anxiety and think they are going to die. I've seen several positives this week but no criticals. Most were sent home.

29-Jun-20
Found out our niece in California got it, thought she was over it then had a stroke. Her Drs. this there's a correlation.

She contracted it a couple of weeks after California started easing restrictions.

So, mid-30s, 2 kids, single mom and learning to do a lot of things all over again. At least being a veteran she has the VA and coverage. Also a great fiancé. Her ex was a crappy husband, (serial cheater) but has helped her with the kids.

Jerrod's brother-in-law had it, in Boston. Not much difference than the flu.

Still waiting to see what happens with Lindsey's co-worker at the hospital, the one who was pregnant when she got it from a patient. She ended up in ICU and had several days of insane fevers.

29-Jun-20
My nephew has it, he's at OSU and there were several at his work that also tested positive. He's good so far, but young and strong. I'm betting quite a few have had it and never knew it?

Have to keep living.

30-Jun-20
I agree....my Nephew tested positive awhile back as well but couldn't tell any difference in how he felt. No disrespect to any elderly but life has to go on and if I die I would rather have my boots on.

30-Jun-20
I was sick with a fever about a week after the George Strait concert. Wondering if maybe I had it before the experts say it hit here. Hoping I did. It lasted about 3 weeks and went through 2 different antibiotics and prednisone and none of it did any good.

30-Jun-20
Not sure the date of the concert, but i ltd January a friend went to SHOT Show and came home and was pretty much bedridden for two weeks and sick with three. Said he’d never had such a hard time kicking a fever and had the dry cough. (think of where a lot of goods at the SHOT Show are manufactured)

30-Jun-20
Not sure the date of the concert, but i ltd January a friend went to SHOT Show and came home and was pretty much bedridden for two weeks and sick with three. Said he’d never had such a hard time kicking a fever and had the dry cough. (think of where a lot of goods at the SHOT Show are manufactured)

30-Jun-20
A local family has it, they are up to 11 in their extended family. All have tested positive. No fever and very mild symptoms for all of them. The youngest is 16 the oldest 68.

30-Jun-20
Writer it was the end of January.

02-Jul-20

cherney12's embedded Photo
I wish the covid trajectory looked like the kansas deer quality trajectory and vice versa....

02-Jul-20
So very possible in late January.

02-Jul-20
So very possible in late January.

02-Jul-20
I hope all of you that don't take it seriously don't infect someone you care about or an innocent victim just so you don't have to wear a mask.They aren't doing it to be mean to people they are trying to slow the spread so hospitals and first responders aren't overwhelmed.The ones that didn't believe said we would never hit 100,000 cases now we are at 50,000 in one day.

02-Jul-20
Habitat the paranoia has to stop. The reason you are seeing such an increase in cases is because testing is readily available now. When this virus first hit, we were sending people home every day we knew were positive, but the ER did not have enough testing available to justify testing unless they were critical (which very few actually were). I've treated at least a dozen or more patients wearing nothing more than a crappy, used surgical mask and I've not had a single symptom. I refuse to wear a PAPR. One guy died but he had CP and was prone to chronic respiratory infections. I'm constantly re-triaging patients because some nurse freaks out and calls covid symptoms on a patient that does not meet criteria. Happened once already this morning. Luckily EMS was present to verify they said "NO cough, fever,or SOB". The patient had already been placed in the one negative pressure room our ER has, so if any other actual covid patient came in, we could not have used it. Good thing we were not busy.

02-Jul-20
I don't think it's paranoia,many businesses like mine have to run and if I lose what few employees we have it shuts down a major utility.Theres a difference because people are scared and they should be.Before we thought it was the old that died,well thats not always true and even if you don't die there are a number of symptoms that don't look like fun.All I'm saying some people need to quit being stupid,lets have a party and sell tickets then cough on each other and the first one to test positive wins the cash from ticket sales.It won't kill anyone to wear a mask or at least very small chance of even getting sick from wearing one.I am glad I'm not a Dr. right now and thank you for being there,it's bad enough going on calls and not knowing if covid is the cause of their sickness.My daughter just got her RN last week so maybe some of the hospitals will start hiring soon.

02-Jul-20
Most ER's had to cut pay increases, cut part time and PRN staff, as well as cut hours on full time staff during this "crisis" that did not affect most of the country. This happened because the number of patients we normally saw in a day fell to half or 1/3 of what we usually saw. My hospital shut down everything but ER because of lack of income and sent employees to the main campus and tried to create jobs for all of them. It was chaos and a time of decline in morale and wages, all for a "pandemic" that never happened. What it did do was cause an increase in very ill patients that postponed going to the ER, surgery, or PCP office because they believed the news and thought they'd catch covid from all the covid patients that weren't even there. A local trauma center made headlines with an ER physician urging people to continue using the ER because it was safe (Wichita Eagle, Dr. Mosley).Going to work now is even more stressful because I'm seeing twice as many patients as usual and hardly any are covid. A cloth mask won't protect you from anything other than a booger, an N95 with a port will still exhale the virus, and a surgical mask was intended for a sterile environment in a surgical suite and only meant to be worn for short periods.

03-Jul-20

03-Jul-20
Sorry it is not the increased testing. It has always been as prevalent, it's just the testing is finding it. Most likely hundreds of thousands of cases have been missed. Also people are being reinfected. Two examples of that at my work, one this week. Anyone who thinks this is close to being over is nuts. I doubt we will shut down again. We will protect are young and old plus the folks with preexisting medical conditions and let nature takes its course. 55,000 in one day is no joke and it is gonna get worse over the next few weeks!! Shawn

• Sitka Gear