jayhawkmarauder 12-May-20
crestedbutte 12-May-20
Matte 12-May-20
Matte 13-May-20
crestedbutte 14-May-20
07-May-20

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
crestedbutte's embedded Photo
For any of you that are new to hunting the great state of Colorado or plan to hunt there in the distant future....this Zoom Webinar Hunt/Hunter Outreach Series starting tonight 7pm MST and every Thurs. through June 11th could be a real benefit to you.

If your not on their e-mail list, you might contact CPW to see how to link up to the weekly webinar. Enjoy!!!

08-May-20

08-May-20
Tool, a lot of guys from KS other than me hunt Colorado. You responded....so thanks for your interest!

09-May-20
Nothing like a guy from the coast, telling a Kansan what Kansans want.

09-May-20

09-May-20
Is there a way to see last Thursdays webcast?

09-May-20
Its all on the KBA member web site, Crested Butte put it on there, vote was 5 to 1 to approve draw lock.

09-May-20
Dave...you are referencing the KDWP&T Commissioners web meeting from 4/23/20. Don’t worry it’s all good!

This thread is about the Colorado Parks & Wildlife’s webinar that was held Thurs. night.

Jayhawkmarauder....Once CPW makes it available, I will give it a try at linking it to this thread for ya!

09-May-20
Took me several years to figure out how to hunt Colorado. Had to learn it the hard way, by actually hunting. Most who hunt there on public will come home empty handed even if they watch every video they can.

10-May-20
Get educated as much as possible as even the best Elk hunters come home empty handed. Archery hunting Elk is tough but is also probably the most rewarding hunt there is for most hunters.

Things to remember, time kills elk, spend more time glassing than wondering, kill the first legal animal that crosses your path.

10-May-20
I agree on the wandering. Wore out a brand new pair of Wolverine boots the first time I hunted elk in 99'. Took me 8 or 9 days but I killed one. Now I hunt migration routes and it has been very productive.

10-May-20
Are elk using migration routes during bow season? I ask sincerely since I have only been once, and it was in early September. They were just getting fired up then. Thanks.

10-May-20
If Thornton says they are, they are.

10-May-20
I need to hurry up and learn more about them....It's been about 16 years ago when I went elk hunting last and I got lucky and got a bull as I was walking back to camp. Heading to New Mexico in September. Heard it can be addicting if I ever call one in and shoot that way.

11-May-20
Habitat- Elk only use migration routes during the late rifle seasons hence why Thornton hunts them. No, they don't migrate during bow season.

Slate probably couldn't kill an elk in CO without an outfitter as it's not as easy as buying a good piece of ground in KS and hanging a few stands.

11-May-20
Thanks Quin. The one and only time I went I was not able to harvest anything either. Armed with rifle I could have taken at least 6, but bow hunting them, at least for me, was difficult.

11-May-20

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Yeah probably why I went to Wyoming this past elk season

11-May-20
Quinn, you are partially incorrect. It depends on the area and circumstances. I hunted from 99' to 2017 near a nat'l park on 16,000 public hunting acres. The locals tell me the elk start coming down from the high country as soon as they encounter early season pressure. Problem is, there is no water in the park, so they leave frequently to the scattered public and private areas, often traveling miles a day or night to get water. Migratory elk literally show up on private hay fields before 1st rifle even starts. A warden I had coffee with said he was trying to get special hunts approved for the park because 500 animals would pile up in there and never leave during daylight and nobody could hunt them. Don't degrade the public land rifle hunter because it is hard. As you know, a high kill OTC unit is only around 16%. Most do not kill regardless if they use rifle or bow. The area I hunt in the NW part of the state now is a cold weather migration route. Saw more elk there last year than 5 years combined where I used to hunt.

11-May-20
Nice bull Slate! Does WY require orange during bow season or were you hunting with a bow during the rifle portion of the season?

Thornton my "tongue in cheek" post was not meant to debate why or how elk move from one spot to the other. :) However, true migration and moving due to hunting pressure are 2 different things. Did you end up killing a bull last year?

11-May-20

crestedbutte's Link
Jayhawkmarauder….CPW will be recording each Zoom webinar and eventually posting on their CPW YouTube channel per link provided. They haven't loaded last Thursday's webinar yet. Check it out....CPW has some great video's on this channel.

I am especially interested in the Gunnison Basin 2020 Spring Update video since I hunt in that general vicinity/area.

12-May-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Quinn. I shot a decent bull last year. He was bugling in 3rd rifle.

12-May-20
Thanks for the info Cresstedbutte . been looking at Colorado if I don't draw Wyoming. With my research so far it looks like I might have to throw a dart at the map.

12-May-20
Jayhawkmarauder, when throwing that dart...just make sure you put a little English on it so it lands west of I-25 corridor, HA!

12-May-20

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
There are some good bulls east of 25. My buddy shot this one by laying in a Ghillie suite all afternoon by a water tank that was way out in the open.

13-May-20
Glad no one is taking shots (pun intended) at either a rifle hunter or crossbow user. Hunters are hunters to me, no matter what weapon of choice. Congrats on a couple of very nice elk, at least very nice from the little I know.

Whether a person mainly uses a firearm for turkey, elk, deer, or a crossbow, we are all in it together. But yes, I do agree crossbows ought to be used by the old, young or physically challenged only if they are going to use them during archery season. I guess I just like seeing dinner on the ground in nature as opposed to a shopper in a grocery store!

13-May-20
The man above owned an archery shop for 30 years. However he broke the G-H joint and two ribs while we were screwing around a few years ago in Oklahoma. He has shot a self made crossbow ever since. I'm glad he can use a crossbow or else I couldn't still go hunting with him.

14-May-20
Next session starts in 20 min.

• Sitka Gear