Thornton 18-May-20
writer 18-May-20
keepemsharp 18-May-20
NCK 18-May-20
One Arrow 19-May-20
12-May-20

One Arrow's embedded Photo
One Arrow's embedded Photo
What’s going on? Saw this on a TV commercial today...

13-May-20
Somebody is pissed off!

13-May-20
Several states outlawed actual deer urine in an attempt to prevent spread of CWD.

13-May-20
Do those states allow baiting?

13-May-20
Cherney,

I don't know. What I do know is a new scent products company sought some consultation from our Small Business Development Center at JCCC a little more than a year ago. One of the items researched, by our legal consultants, were the states not allowing actual urine due to CWD concerns. They developed products with actual urine for the states that allow, and synthetics for the ones that do not.

I assume you are implying the possible lack of consistency if they allow baiting but not natural scents? If so, I agree, and so did the company FWIW. Thanks.

13-May-20
Cherney that was the exact question I had when I saw the ad.

So basically they are afraid of importing CWD from a deer farm... is that correct Frank?

I say ban it, but if you’re going to ban that then ban all baiting as well. Let’s quarantine the deer herd, build a wall for NR’s, give the deer a mask if we must, remove all disease transmission possibilities... let’s put a knife in this disease. JMO

13-May-20
Ray, we'll also need to restrict all "AG fields" to take-out only

13-May-20
hahaah

13-May-20
Lol

13-May-20
lol funny stuff

14-May-20
Ray, a concern is also that it concentrates deer and encourages the to sniff and lick one spot. Some attractants have been synthetic. Others have used livestock urine.

14-May-20
It's funny cuz estrus does actually do piss in the wild. We gonna stop that too? Does the lure urine come from CWD areas?

14-May-20
The one spot point begs some question. When is it not just one spot? A mineral lick? A pile of corn? Broadcasted corn? A kill plot, a destination food plot? An ag field?

Is actual urine on a wick hung in a tree and removed after the hunt a bigger risk than a mineral lick? Do we have the answers? States are taking what they see as reasonable steps to slow or prevent the spread, and there is lots of room for disagreement IMHO.

14-May-20
I believe 90% or more of the captive herds are tested and the urine they sell is pretty much free of CWD. Deer herd owners have a fit cause I believ e they actually have to kill a portion of the herd to test of CWD and EHD and such. I am pretty sure PA. has banned theuse of natural urine and urine based products and there are others. Shawn

14-May-20
"The one spot point begs some question. When is it not just one spot?"

And you are a college Teacher? Seriously? If it is a very concentrated spot it is concentrated. For example a salt lick. If it is an ag field it is not a concentrated spot. Words matter and when I read what you say no matter what the subject is you seem to lack common sense on a major level. For example you needed an expert to tell you that covid-19 transfers better in densely populated area's. Really??? It scares me that you are shaping the future population.

14-May-20
Tom,

You in love with me buddy?

Let's try some logic...

The prions do not have to be in one small spot to be a problem...if they are in the soil and deer are in close proximity because of, let's say a kill plot, they might transfer bodily fluids from licking or other normal behavior. So what practices do we ban to prevent the spread? Or, one infected deer can enter that plot infecting many deer without having licked anything on the ground, it may have been a wick hung in a tree that was contaminated. Comprehend?

Covid discussion was about addressing some self proclaimed expert not observing many cases in a less densely populated area and concluding it was a political ploy. But you didn't have a problem with that? You may want to look at the data for some other populated countries and ask why their infection rates are not as high as what we have experienced. We continue to learn and what we do try and teach is to approach challenges with an open mind without drawing conclusions too quickly. You might want to try it.

Please, you ought not be insulting anyone's intelligence, words do mean something.

15-May-20
Frank, I do know know most things ER as I have and still work there after 16 years and 5 ERs across the state of Kansas. You however, know nothing about medicine other than your back surgery. I specifically said on multiple occasions Kansas is not NYC. We still aren't seeing any critical numbers in Wichita. I also said this virus has "political undertones" because China has used it to their advantage in both trade and blame on Trump.

15-May-20
Jason,

Your exact word was "ploy", not undertones. Be interesting to see if Tom comes back to chide you on how words matter, I am betting not.

Like Tom, look at data. There are other countries with dense populations that have not shared the same level of infections or deaths as we have. Evidence suggests that certain practices implemented early, such as wearing masks, distancing, cultural customs, tracking etc, may have played a critical factor. Regional climate differences, diet and even genetics are being studied. Seems a little preposterous to label it "political undertones" this early in the game, no ?

I believe our president intially said it was nothing to worry about and continue on with our normal lives. Some might conclude this was politics, an eye on the election. Was not this your position as well?

Interesting you use 16 years of experience for credibility while Tom chastises me for listening to recognized experts. Sure doesn't pass the smell test!

15-May-20
Again just plain old common sense. If 30 deer pile up on a salt block in a 1 foot by 1 foot area the transfer rate will be higher than 30 deer headed out to an ag field. Now if we apply that to Covid-19 when 30 people are in one room they have a better chance of getting infected than 30 people walking around out in an Ag field.

I know I know this does not go along with your narrative and your attempts to educate us but facts are facts. Now carry on with your open mind and evaluation but some things are just plain easy to understand.

15-May-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Tom,

We agree some things are easy to understand, and some need a little more than a simpleton approach. Open a map of the global dispersion of COVID and explain those who have contracted the virus with no explanation of outside contact. I don't have a narrative to sell other than hoping to teach students to search for all data and all possible explanations, not just those in the press, on either side.

Not arguing about higher transfer rates from salt blocks, but those have not been banned when used for ranch purposes. Hmmm?

I have never used many scent attractants, mainly probably because I am cheap. I have used Tinks on occasion, but dipping a wick into the bottle and hanging it on a tree. I have never applied it on the ground. I know other hunters who have done the same.

In this group, we have each had deer come in on occasion, smell the wick and also lick it. (Immature bucks only for me.) Then these deer go and do what deer do.

I have never debated which causes more dispersal of the disease, mainly because I still consume information about a subject that apparently you know a lot more about, maybe?

States have banned scents but not licks or food plots etc. Hopefully I am making my point. That being it doesn't seem to make sense to ban scent products that may or may not be used on the ground while probably all of us have observed deer using blocks put out for cattle. MO is one of the states that will attempt to drop the herd numbers dramatically in known infected areas, yet their biologists admit the prions can remain in the ground for years. Is this approach the Common Sense you are referring to?

I oppose the herd reductions and my point was exactly when does a spot on the ground justify this practice when we know transmittal occurs a variety of ways that deer exchange body fluids. I support letting nature take it's course and the herd developing a natural resistance. But if current approaches do not stop spread, does the "spot" grow and we ban anything that may congregate deer above a certain density, such as a 4 acre food plot that brings in 40 deer every evening during the toughest climate conditions?

You can come back and attempt to insult my intelligence more, but maybe try adding something productive to the conversation or I am going to guess there is an ulterior motive here.

15-May-20
Can you guys please make whatever point you're trying to make clear? I'm not even smart enough to figure out what you're arguing about anymore.

15-May-20
Government is regulating us to death with illogic.

15-May-20
Funny story one of the big bucks I killed on Kansas I was getting ready to head home. I had 2 bottles of urine I collected from deer I shot in NY. I also had a couple bottles of tinks and a spray can. I did a drag rag to my stand dumping copious amounts of urine on my way. Threw it up in the bushes around me and than got in the stand and sprayed the whole can of doe in heat. Easily using 16 to 20 ounces of urine. An hour after light I had several does and no less than 7 P&Y bucks within 30 yds of me. My point, it did not seem to hurt a thing and I am sure I spread no diseases into the local herd. Oh and I killed a 160 plus at 730 on Nov 12 2016

16-May-20
Sorry HFW but I have to confess I did not even read all of your post above. I have seen how when your ego is hurt you double and triple down looking quite silly from the outside. Sure hope school opens back up soon so you can get back to molding those tiny little balls of mush.

Shawn your point should have been that one of those several doe was in heat hence all the activity.

16-May-20
Well if they're worried about it hopefully Kansas bans baiting and anything else that attracts them to an area where they're actually touching the same thing. I think baiting would have to be the first to go though if you're using common sense. Lol an ag field is taking it too far....that's how we eat.

16-May-20
No my point is a few of the bucks followed the drag rag scent even though there were does already around me. I have excellent luck using scents but I believe it has to be the exact right time. Shawn

16-May-20
Tom,

You read it....You mean you didn't want to look stupid, again. LOL.

16-May-20
Tom didn't read it but Tom made sense...but I read it and I didn't get much bang for the buck.

17-May-20
Based on your response you understand the point.

Why does government need to ban anything? Whether hunting or other areas of life citizens ought to be informed and do what is right. But here we are, we don't like baiting so let's have the government ban it. Works right up until they ban something we don't agree with.

That picture above, I had literally scores of them. The deer are in close proximity to each other, almost as close as a bait pile. Should me eliminate food plots next? Is the risk of disease greater than the benefits created by plots for a multitude of species? Some think so.

Probably didn't need to close all those businesses if people would just wear masks and practice distancing. Since we lack the common sense Tom refers to, we get government control.

17-May-20
I am ranting, I will shut up. Just frustrated lately with so many Americans buying into the conspiracy theories sold from both sides, like the virus is a plan to get rid of Trump. I guess the heart of a teacher wants to see us use our brains a little more so we are not controlled so easy. The frustration spilled over into numerous threads, a friend helped me realize. My apology!

17-May-20
This is exactly why you and Thornton have your own thread!

17-May-20
"The frustration spilled over into numerous threads, a friend helped me realize."

Your welcome!

"Probably didn't need to close all those businesses if people would just wear masks and practice distancing."

I don't want to wear a mask. If I want to go out I will. If YOU want to stay at home and YOU want to distance go ahead. We can both do what we want. Its easy more common sense.

17-May-20
Tom,

We just think differently. Saw statistics that said there is an 80 percent possible reduction in transmission when we wear masks. Based on information like that, my common sense says if folks cared about each other we would be willing to be inconvenienced. Sounds like my thinking is not accurate.

You are welcome as well:-)

17-May-20
Crestedbutte,

Looks like you need to start a new thread for HFW, NCK and Thornton to debate who's right in the game of life?

17-May-20
I already agreed my thinking is inaccurate.

17-May-20
Habitat- I’ve read several articles from doctors that have said the cloth masks people are wearing have a 2% chance of stopping an infection.

17-May-20

Habitat for Wildlife's Link

17-May-20
Frank, to my recollection, I've never used the word "ploy". Prove me wrong. I also said we have to continue life as usual while practicing safety precautions. Apparently the entire government now agrees with me. As one doctor on the news said the other day "treating the entire country like New York is ridiculous". Not to mention, every travel RN who jumped on the $5-$10k a week assignments have had their contracts canceled and have been sent home. Now that we are running on skeleton crews due to the decline in patients, these travellers have no job to come back to.

18-May-20
You have been correct all along Jason. I am wrong.

There is universal agreement to re-open the economy with little fear of a second wave of infections.

This has not been any where near as bad as H1N1, and only slightly worse than the flu. I was wrong on this also.

Now that most are wearing masks and using sanitizers, as evidenced by no peroxide at WM, everything will be fine until we build enough herd immunity.

You were also correct about this having political undertones, and the world complicit on helping get Trump. This virus was intentionally created by the Chinese to do just that, all experts now agree.

Hope that helps resolve this. Again, I admit I was completely in error. Thanks!

18-May-20
I’ll admit, now I’m just tuning in to Bowsite to read the smartazz comments made by Cherney and Crested. Much more entertaining than the Kansas Bowsite version of Grumpy Old Men, except Thorton isn’t old.!

18-May-20
I’ll admit, now I’m just tuning in to Bowsite to read the smartazz comments made by Cherney and Crested. Much more entertaining than the Kansas Bowsite version of Grumpy Old Men, except Thorton isn’t old.!

18-May-20
Mike...you view my single post above (that was meant as a meager reminder)....as smart azz? Really?

18-May-20

cherney12's Link
Y'all need to calm down. Thornton says it in the street, that's a knockout. Frank says it in bowsite, that's a cop-out. And I'm just like damn. It's 7 AM. Get some fresh air and enjoy life boys.

18-May-20
I honestly think you are getting dementia Frank. As I've repeated at least 6 times, I report what I'm seeing in Wichita. We saw far more H1N1 in this area back in 09' than we are Covid now. Occasionally I report what my co-workers are seeing in other states, including NYC. I never said the Chinese did it on purpose to "get Trump", but they certainly made specific propaganda blaming him and jumping on the world market crash to buy stuff cheap while we were trying to figure out what to do. The evidence was strong enough again Wuhan, Trump began an investigation on the lab and ceased financing to the WHO.

18-May-20
Thank god someone started a new NR thread today. As far as Covid goes, none of you know squat, except for Shawn who is living it.

18-May-20
Jason,

It could be dementia, or old age grumpiness I guess. Possibly both, LOL!

Yes, you did report on what you observed. I tried to share what family members with health care training of ours experienced, as well as other credible sources. My recollection, which might not be that good, is I took a lot of grief from you about not knowing anything medical myself when their experiences did not match yours.

It might just be a communications break down, on my part, but your tone and views seems to have "evolved" from the original Covid thread. I thought I remember Mike actually saying something to that effect in one of his posts? Maybe I interpreted what you posted incorrectly, I thought you were extrapolating your experience to mean this virus was no worse than any others or the flu. I realize now you meant in your area only. My apology.

As an update, Robin's cousin lost her battle to COVID on May 8th after more than 6 weeks in a coma. She lived in PA and according to medical folks in her area, they had numerous cases. I guess that is some more of what we experienced.

Others have it right, this really isn't important in the scheme of things. Not at all actually. Again my apology for my part! Hope that settles it for you, it does for me. Thanks.

18-May-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
It did evolve and I indicated that on a regular basis as did every physician I work with. It is still evolving, and from what I'm seeing in Wichita, it is starting to follow a pattern of influenza as supported by today's Wichita Eagle. Keep in mind, most nursing homes have poorly trained staff in the field of infection control/prevention. I know a mortician that recently picked up a resident in the nursing home at Clearwater. He observed no masks on personell and staff and all were interacting closely. Could be the reason of their high infection rate. Medicine is not an exact science and never has been. What is accepted today may be disproven tomorrow. Many diagnoses will come with differential diagnoses if the physician s unsure.

18-May-20
Interesting how quick people are to point out an article in the media when it says what they want it to say. :-) Here's this, I live in Douglas County, with around 121,000 people and we're within a half-hour of a major area of 2-plus million.

That's so much lower, both rate and number, than a lot of smaller counties in Kansas.

Is it because of the whole thing's been over-blown?

Is it because we got on it early and the shutdown and social-distancing worked?

Or maybe because we're all so drunk and doped up no foreign germs can live in our bodies?

Maybe the Chinese realize how much killing a bunch us off could hurt their sale of basketball shoes.

Then again, could it be because all the beautiful and healthy people live here?

(That Crested, was smart-azz sarcasm.The numbers are accurate, though, and all the Dr.s and the hospital here say they have plenty of testing materials.)

Stay. well everybody. Appreciate the updates, Shawn.

18-May-20
Writer: your've been on bowsite for ever, who you kiddin.

18-May-20
"Others have it right, this really isn't important in the scheme of things."

Nailed it! Everyone was born to die. And your education sessions on Bowsite will not change a thing. Stay at home wear your mask be safe......but Jesus wrote the day you were gong to die before you were born.

19-May-20
Tom,

We share being people of Faith!

It must be God's Will then that I heed the advice to take precautions, and that I am here sharing my views. All in His plan, as is your participation. Be well my friend!

19-May-20
Well, this took its usual, and expected, u-turn. Carry on.

• Sitka Gear