Kansasclipper 14-Jun-20
Slate 14-Jun-20
keepemsharp 14-Jun-20
Matte 14-Jun-20
sitO 15-Jun-20
Matte 15-Jun-20
Kansasclipper 15-Jun-20
28-May-20
Has your scouting started yet? Antler growth should be a good indicator right now of what may be. I have been after the same deer for three years now and can not wait to see if he made it through the rest of Winter as he was alive at 102 yards the last day of season.

28-May-20
Seeing a lot of stumps on heads right now, they’re coming along.

28-May-20
Saw a buck starting to fork yesterday next to the highway.

28-May-20
I saw a one that was actually pretty big already dead on the shoulder of the road on 96. Nice one. Cameras going up this weekend.

28-May-20

Catscratch's embedded Photo
I see a lot of variations thi early in the yr. Stumps to multiple points started.

29-May-20

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Have 5 different bucks using this feeder in our back yard. I believe the big typical and non-typical from last year survived. These bases look to be decent.

29-May-20
I would say that buck looks mature. I put up a couple of cameras today and even ordered a new one from Midway USA.

29-May-20
What'ja get Jeff?

29-May-20

Kansasclipper's Link
Primos Proof Cam 03 Black Flash. Had them on sale for $79. I have 2 of the Proof Cam 02 and have had a bunch of different Primos trail cams over the years. All have been excellent.

29-May-20
They're great little cameras, tried lots of brands and have always preferred my Primos

29-May-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I picked up a couple early, leave the cameras out all year.

01-Jun-20

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Trebarker's embedded Photo
Best one seen on pics at the last check.

01-Jun-20

Back yard, I believe the big typical from last year. This is a mature deer.

01-Jun-20

another

01-Jun-20

02-Jun-20
Good purchase Jeff, I’ve had better luck with those cameras than those that cost twice as much! I seem to have a hell of a time getting cameras to last more than a season or two.

Anxious to see your pictures!

02-Jun-20
I got the camera yesterday. That is why I like ordering from Midwest USA. You get your order quick. Anyway, I will be setting up the camera today so won't have any pictures for a couple of weeks.

02-Jun-20
Clipper....I've had a few of those cams. Have always taken great photos. Only issue I've had is with the "timing mechanism." It seems pretty common to go bad in Primos cams. They still take good photos, but I don't know the time or date they were taken.

03-Jun-20
Primos is owned by Bushnell. I try and purchase Bushnell cameras not only because they have served me well via great quality, but they are also headquartered here in KS.

03-Jun-20
I had a couple of the old truth cams go bad on me but I usually got 2 or 3 years out them. I have more get stolen than going bad.

03-Jun-20
I never had good luck with primos and had to send them back,I usually order from trailcampro.com

03-Jun-20

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
I know there are so many options but I have had great luck with these and they even survived the floods last spring. $40 now but I get them for $30 when on sale. Batteries lasted over a year taking pictures on natural trails. One of my trail cam pics from this camera.

08-Jun-20

Does this deer look like the non-typical from last year to you? It does to me. Thanks.

08-Jun-20

09-Jun-20
No it doesn't look like the same deer to me.

09-Jun-20

Kansasclipper's embedded Photo
This was a nice deer last year but he looks poor this year. I have a few pics of him this week and his ribs are showing a bit and looks thin in the back in. I am just positive it is the same deer from last year but he has a hole in his right ear that wasn't there last year. Possible bullet hole.

09-Jun-20

Habitat here is a big one from a couple of years ago. Last a crossbow hunter from Louisiana told me he gut shot him and never found him. Wondered why he disappeared. That same spring someone had sheds I never saw but was rumored to be him. Don't know for sure, but the fellow with sheds claimed they were 200 inches, which this deer would not make, at least I don't think so. I had him inside of 25 yds twice and passed because of poor shot angle and once he was moving fast. He was big.

09-Jun-20
Thanks men.

09-Jun-20
Slate...no time or date stamps on those Apeman camera pics? Apeman camera specs don’t mention those features. Assume if they do, you edited that portion out of the image provided above?

10-Jun-20

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo
Yes Jason they do have date and time stamps on pictures. I cropped that pic here is an example

10-Jun-20
HFW

Looks like a factory assembly line for producing CWD over by your place. All the science states what you are doing only helps the spread of CWD.

Habitat for Wildlife = Salt and Feeders

10-Jun-20
If no CWD is present, please explain how it helps the spread?

All the science says habitat work benefits multiple species.

10-Jun-20
That's NOT habitat work Frank, sorry.

10-Jun-20
Frank that is inverse logic of your reasoning for wearing a mask and washing your hands. If there is no Covid present how does it help slow the spread?

10-Jun-20
What? Covid is present in all 50 states, get real guys. Deer don't fly or travel far like humans.

Kyle, mineral is habitat work. The corn is there during fawning season, not hunting. Haven't your decoys brought in multiple deer in one hunt? That creates a risk as well.

11-Jun-20
Get real? There is CWD in Kansas. Moving farther east every year, I believe.

11-Jun-20
You rely on the people in neighboring counties to be responsible while you hope for the best and hope it's not already around you? Like those of us who don't wear masks.

11-Jun-20
So your logic is because there is CWD in KS we should shut down the economy, I mean habitat work?

Patrick, go to my Micro Habitat project on the BGF to see the entire undertaking. Deer are not the only animals that use minerals. The project has been a mecca for wildlife and is an excellent example of what we can do to improve habitat to benefit all wildlife. Much better results will occur for wildlife with similar efforts IMHO than a petition that will go no where.

Tom, if that is your real name, you show up out of where exactly? Timing seems suspect. You have shared zilch, and likely because you know from your Covid comments you will be challenged if you do more than just criticize others. Mainly your focus has been me, so I have assumed you have an agenda.

Comparing mineral licks and feeders for wildlife to viral transmissions in humans is a display of the emotional and ridiculous logic and ignorance our nation is being reduced to.

11-Jun-20

Here is the typical results I observe from effective habitat improvements. Notice the timing, late winter after all hunting is done. CWD spread with deer this close is a possibility. How to help prevent that, make sure there are more food sources available at all times of the year, not just hunting season. Spread the deer out. That should be our goal to work together and it does much more than Tom's, Patrick's and others' criticism in helping to benefit wildlife. Start a petition asking others to undertake habitat projects, I will sign it.

NOTE: No mineral or feeders around.

11-Jun-20

Here is that home micro habitat project. Deer are cleaning up the bean seeds after the beans were mowed down. They must not have heard about social distancing.

11-Jun-20
I had the same results on a single 20ac patch of beans Frank, in fact as many as 50 deer on it some evenings. Again the work you do planting, hinge cutting, etc is awesome...but mineral dumps and failure piles/sadness spreaders are NOT habitat work in any sense of the word, sorry.

11-Jun-20

different days but they keep coming back, wonder why?

11-Jun-20

Even the bucks are lazy and lay around a high energy food source.

11-Jun-20

These tracks are from one night. I should have placed a sign at the gate that only so many deer are allowed at one time.

11-Jun-20

They were coming after these beans which had rye grain sown into them when they yellowed.

11-Jun-20
Tom,

Habitat for Wildlife is more than salt and feeders, but I am sure your integrity won't let the facts get in the way of spreading insults.

In fact your ability to bend the truth to fit your own views reminds me of an individual I had an extended PM exchange with. Wonder if you two are connected, or even the same individual at this point?

11-Jun-20
Minerals absolutely are part of the habitat equation Kyle. Deer and other animals seek out natural licks. MO does not allow hunting over feeders or licks, unless those licks are part of a food plot project. Hmmm...Sorry you don't understand this part of habitat improvements.

If you go to the Micro Habitat Project on the BGF you will see I used feeders to keep pressure off of a .75 acre bean plot while it was first getting started. You might know that many people believe you cannot plant beans on anything less than 3 acres without protection or they will be destroyed by deer. I have used techniques that have proven those beliefs to be a fallacy and wanted to share it to encourage others that they can undertake small projects and it will make a difference. Habitat loss is a much bigger threat IMO than feeders are, and in the minds of numerous biologists I have worked with or read their published works.

I get your views on HUNTING over feeders, and AGREE. Using them as a TEMPORARY Part of a food source though is no different than that X number of acres of beans you are referring to. The density in my picture above, caught on camera nightly until the food source was completely gone, is as much risk, or nearly so, as corn broadcasted out.

Your approach is to try and guilt people into not using feeders, mine is to show how habitat projects can be successful even when the conventional wisdom they might read says otherwise. Based on PMs I continue to receive, my approach is having some success, enough so that I will continue to document it while folks like Tom toss grenades. I believe Kyle we are both passionate about wildlife. I will continue to undertake projects like I do until I physically cannot any longer. I see doing that longer than wanting to hunt. It is about conservation to me, actions are more important than just words IMHO. And I think these open civil debates facilitate our acquisition of knowledge. Please know when folks like you post, I do read it and reflect on my actions. Thanks!

11-Jun-20
And Kyle, FYI, I had 40 plus on 4 acres. Tony actually observed it himself on a late winter hunt about 7 years ago as the deer came into feed on a standing milo/bean field during a winter storm. That same field is the picture above where I easily had more than 40 deer at one time for several days/nights. All that says is there is limited food sources available elsewhere, and we can work together to change that IMHO.

11-Jun-20
I use to plant food plots do the mineral licks but after watching cameras I figured out most deer spend less than 15 minutes on a food plot. I hear about deer numbers, I need to find it but I have a video of 100+ Whitetail on a winter wheat field. Writer it was a mile west of where we hunted doves on the other side of that buffalo grass pasture. I have watched Jeff Danker work his new ground in Attica with corn a bean plots and giant feeders. All with in view of the road.I hunted this property for 7-8 years and I feel for him as there will be a ton of traffic by his place during season. Have fun this season boys and girls, remember stay mobile the Big Ones are where you find them.

11-Jun-20
Frank, how did wildlife survive before humans started setting up "trophy rock" dump sites and failure piles? You know the difference between right and wrong, I know that about you bud.

11-Jun-20
100 deer in a field without a feeder aren't all licking the same corn stalk

11-Jun-20

11-Jun-20

11-Jun-20
Kyle,

I think I know the difference, but I believe you and I have a difference in understanding of conservation. The deer herd is near an all-time peak but there are growing concerns that urbanization, development, new farming practices etc. are causing a fragmentation of habitat that while maybe not threatening larger mobile animals like deer will cause other species to become genetically isolated and maybe to the point of threatening that species survival, at least in certain parts of their traditional home ranges. I have never undertaken habitat improvements solely for game animals. Look at the pictures above, the last two, more on them in the next post.

When Robin and I first built and moved into our property in 2002 and I installed NG and a food plot, my neighbors who believed in all of us having manicured properties tried to force the Board to have me remove it. But I am a stickler for reading the rules, and I signed a contract that included no such limitations, or I would not have built there.

Today, several neighbors regularly converse how cool it is to see deer, turkey, bluebirds etc., and even coyotes coming to our property. Two have allowed me to install NG on their land with forbs, one just recently placing a beehive in the middle of it. It was never just about my property, it was always about using the natural creek corridor we are adjacent to and getting others to install some stuff that reduces fragmentation.

Yep, I have no doubt what we are creating benefits for a multitude of species and I feel totally comfortable with my behavior. I would love to encourage you to do more of the same and less of the ant-baiting rhetoric;-)

11-Jun-20
Matte,

I see similar results for others who did not take pre-habitat installation animal behavior into account. My own observations that "plant it and they will come" works better in the movies than real life. I have learned more about how to hunt from watching results of habitat undertakings than I ever learned hunting.

Patrick, 100 deer don't need to lick the same stalk, they just need to do what deer normally do like groom each other. And that is much easier to do when the density is that great. But you know this so don't make it easy for me to unravel your argument. Make it a challenge at least.

I am as consistent with Covid as I am with habitat management. Covid is a risk that must be managed, so is CWD. We don't shut down the economy completely after we realize the worst fears will probably not materialize, and we undertake habitat management projects that benefit a wide range of species. We also cannot expect deer or other wildlife to change their behaviors. Too often these discussions reveal what people are really only interested in, and that is shooting big bucks. Just not my thing. Growing up in the concrete jungle, I am still amazed with nature.

Watching the criticism of the extreme measures taken with Covid, I don't understand why folks don't have the same reaction with the extreme measure states like MO and WI have taken in areas where they have found CWD-herd eradication. Seems they end up killing all the deer so the deer won't die from CWD even though the prions causing CWD will remain in the ground for years. Illogical to me. End up with the results they were trying to prevent.

11-Jun-20
Kyle,

Back to those last two pictures. I used corn to keep pressure off the beans, then sowed rye grain and clovers (crimson and ladino) into the maturing beans. Look at the mecca there, volunteer beans, clover, ragweed (yes a deer food), other forbs etc. As the crimson clover started to flower here comes the bees.

We know there is at least one fawn hidden in that tall rye, and believe a turkey is nesting there as well. I have to really work at keeping Buddy our lab out of it.

Two bluebird boxes which between the available food from seeds and insects and grass material from the NG after burning to build nests with each year, both boxes have had double nests for 10 years running! Yes, I use some corn to keep enough there for everything, gosh darn it!

Most folks, including neighbors at first, cringe at the ragweed and other forbs until I show them evidence of browsing. Even Robin initially would rather have a manicured property, but I have convinced her we need to share the Earth we have been blest to have temporary custody of with as much wildlife the Good Lord blest mankind with for our use. Maybe I am wrong on some stuff, but my heart is in the right place.

And that corn I am paying for, deer are not using it now. Only the coons, squirrels and crows are. And I am OK with that.

11-Jun-20
You're just using corn for animal watching and to help get your plot going. Doesn't sound like you bait. Why you getting so defensive? I love the habitat work you've done. Would really enjoy doing something similar if I can ever get a chunk of my own.

11-Jun-20
No Patrick I am not doing these expensive projects in both money and time to just watch the wildlife. With the tall rye you cannot see the wildlife from our screened in porch or patio. You just don't get it. Watching wildlife is cool but not the purpose. Benefitting the wildlife, being a responsible LO is the purpose. I am obligated to do so IMHO.

I get defensive because you and others throw out accusations with next to zero knowledge about what I am doing before criticizing. Just so typical of our society today. A guy like Tom we never heard from but shows up just to criticize. Yet all we do is blame the politicians.

On a positive note, you will have a chunk of land if you want it bad enough. We have made sacrifices and until I finally purchased my land I always worked two jobs. Friends never understood why, but I had a goal. Best wishes and keep the fire burning!

11-Jun-20
Not sure which accusations I threw out. Other than feeders are lame which I will always stand by. Anyway, thanks for the info on your habitat improvement. Would be nice to see more state projects that do similar things on public access areas.

11-Jun-20
Frank, I'm not reading all that, ain't got time. No arguement about your habitat improvements, bait and minerals aren't that.

11-Jun-20
I'm not an advocate for baiting and I have never hunted over bait. IMO the concern about risk of spreading CWD, or any other disease, due to baiting in KS is likely negligible. First, deer are a heard and social animal anyways and they are mostly confined to forested riparian areas, small forest blocks and grasslands (confined). Second, a salt block or corn pile is not likely going to draw in deer from miles around. I don't think a salt block would change a deer home range. I don't see how saying baiting in KS will significantly increase the risk of disease spread...it's likely negligible. This is just an opinion based on my wildlife biology education and deer biology.

I honestly don't see much difference between baiting and decoying. They are both attractants. I have used a decoy so I'm not going to bash the baiting guys. It's just never been my thing as the field edges and woods I hunt have plenty of corn, beans, and forage already. But like Frank, I have used baits around trail cameras. Based on deer behavior and our location (eastern KS), I don't see a significantly increased risk in spreading disease with a pile of corn.

11-Jun-20
Did I start this? With 1 sentence I completely took over your mind.

Good lord HFW it was only 1 sentence now look at the giant propaganda campaign you launched into. You must be missing those little balls of mush you been indoctrinating all these years. Anyway no I am not LE(why did you take a stance against them as well? Makes sense your a "professor") nor have you and I ever exchanged pleasantries. Thank God sounds like you get a little weird after watching the HFW/Thorton show. Remember only 3% of the people registered post the 97% watch. The one common theme over the many years reading your posts is your quoted post below. Its as if you wrote that about yourself. Now get out of the house and spend more time with that really rich guy you were telling Thorton about it gives you more street Cred:^)

"In fact your ability to bend the truth to fit your own views reminds me of an individual I had an extended PM exchange with."

11-Jun-20
More excuses. Why did the KDWP Biologists ban it on public and WIHA land? Just not as smart as you Ryan?

11-Jun-20
And why do you use it around trail cameras if it doesn’t work better than field edges? You’d Just put your cameras on field edges if you really believe that.

11-Jun-20
Sito- I do not know exactly why KDWPT banned it from public lands. Maybe they didn't want to have conflicts involving hunters with hunters. Maybe they don't want Joe Smoe casting seeds in public lands. It likely did have something to do with disease but deer are fairly confined regarding travel corridors in eastern KS. And where did I say I was smarter than anyone? I'm pretty sure I stated it was my opinion and added I'm a wildlife biologist so others would know I'm not basing my opinion on what some guy told me on an internet forum once. That's all. You want to call out my opinion with data or vs your opinion I'm all good with that but c'mon man no need to get sideways. Do you think a corn pile or a mineral block will change a deer home range and have them intermingling with deer from 10 miles away? I'm not saying I'm right or have any data to back it up. It's a discussion thread and I'm discussing.

Cherney- I put the bait around trail cameras because I was tired of photos of the exit end of deer. It was just a way to get them to hang around a bit to get multiple photos. And when did I ever say it didn't work better than a field edge? I'm pretty sure I said it was an attractant.

Good day to the both of you. I hope you all the success this hunting season.

11-Jun-20
Good grief. I was hoping to see a bunch of deer pics!

11-Jun-20
Habitat you will never convince them there is any other way than theirs.Deer most likely touch each other alot more just socializing than at a feeder as there is a hierarchy in most family groups and they compete over food.Feeders are not going to cause the end of the world or cause the whitetail to become extinct and whether someone hunts over a feeder or just has one set up is their business as long as legal.We understand what habitat work is and will keep doing it because thats what we like to do.I know my banker would wish I would stop.

11-Jun-20
Discussion is great. So your opinion is that it will just inevitably continue to spread until it's prevalent in the entire country? And that feeders don't increase the spread where CWD is know to exist? I don't understand the logic. If it's inevitable that it's going to spread across our entire country then you could make an argument that you don't need to stop baiting. But if you agree with most biologists that it does increase the transmission then you either don't care about the herd or you will once it's confirmed in your area?

11-Jun-20
My point, as I stated multiple times, is that I think baiting in KS has negligible effects on the spread of CWD.

11-Jun-20
Sending mixed signals. You said you think the baiting ban on public land likely had something to do with disease but you think it’s negligible in relation to CWD. What gives?

11-Jun-20
Sending mixed signals. You said you think the baiting ban on public land likely had something to do with disease but you think it’s negligible in relation to CWD. What gives?

11-Jun-20
“You said you think the baiting ban on public land likely had something to do with disease but you think it’s negligible in relation to CWD.“. Exactly. How is that a mix signal? I think your getting low on ammunition.

11-Jun-20
What? You said the ban has to do with disease. Right? What am I missing.

11-Jun-20

cherney12's embedded Photo

11-Jun-20

cherney12's Link

11-Jun-20
All of that is opinion...no different than mine. Have you read the scientific journals on the subject or even those that copy of some websites had links to? Or are just adopting someone else’s opinion of the science from a website? After reading the preamble to your petition my guess is you haven’t read any of the scientific journals on the subject.

11-Jun-20
It's so nice all of us y'all can give Frank a chance to espounse. Keeps him off the streets.

11-Jun-20
I’ve read plenty. I’m trying to understand what you are basing your opinion on. I’m sure you know enough about it so I’m not sure why you can’t explain your position. Maybe the places all those researchers studied is different than Kansas?

11-Jun-20

Slate's embedded Photo
Slate's embedded Photo

11-Jun-20

KSflatlander's Link
It was an opinion based on what I know about wildlife management and deer behavior. I want to know why you are trying to tie baiting to CWD so hard. Is baiting the major cause of transmission of CWD I’m deer? It can persist in the soil for months even years. How much baiting do you think actually happens in KS?

Baiting may contribute some to spread and I think it’s likely negligible (stated clearly again). Read below. If CWD is your concern then why do you not have a petition that says no gutting of deer in the wild...carcasses too? Read below.

“If the environment serves as a reservoir of CWD infectivity, hot spots of concentrated prion infectivity could be formed at areas of communal activity where shedding occurs (Figure 3) (12). Animal mortality sites, where highly infectious CNS matter would enter the environment, could also be hot spots (21). In a study of deer carcass decomposition in Wisconsin, carcasses persisted for 18–101 days depending on the season, and were visited by deer (22). In addition, cervid carcasses are visited by numerous scavenger species, such as raccoons, opossums, coyotes, vultures, and crows, which could consume and transport CWD-infected tissue and increase CWD spread (21,22). Thus, there is the potential for CWD to spread from sites of animal deaths. Predators may also contribute to spread of the CWD agent and transmission (5), as could transport by surface water (23) or insect vectors. Natural migration and dispersion of cervids is also a likely mechanism of geographic spread of CWD (24).”

“Given that cervids habitually ingest considerable amounts of soil, soil has been hypothesized to play a key role in CWD transmission (Figure 3) (11,20; S.E. Saunders et al., unpub. data). Inhalation of dust-bound CWD prions may also represent a route of transmission. It is known that CWD prions can bind to a range of soils and soil minerals (25,26) and retain the ability to replicate (27). In addition, rodent prions retain or gain infectivity when bound to soil and soil minerals (20,27; S.E. Saunders et al., unpub. data). Prion fate and transmission in soil has been recently reviewed (20). Although the potential for CWD transmission by soil and soil reservoirs is considerable, this transmission remains to be directly evaluated with cervids.“

11-Jun-20
This morning in the back yard between the plum thicket and the wind break the wife got to watch a fawn about a foot long, don't get any better than than that. This is in flint hills pasture, no food plots no mineral blocks, no bait.

11-Jun-20
Keep- I agree it doesn’t get any better. I was out doing some bio surveys a few weeks ago. Four biologists walked right (<2 ft) by a week old fawn. The 5th bio seen it to the astonishment of the other 4 (including me). It was still as a statue and man...what a camouflage pattern lol.

11-Jun-20
I’m trying to get baiting banned. It is tied to CWD. I’m not trying to tie it, it’s already tied. How much baiting do I think actually happens in Kansas? I would guess there are 50,000+ bait sites between feeders and piles in a given Fall. How much do you think? How much is too much?

11-Jun-20
I’m trying to get baiting banned. It is tied to CWD. I’m not trying to tie it, it’s already tied. How much baiting do I think actually happens in Kansas? I would guess there are 50,000+ bait sites between feeders and piles in a given Fall. How much do you think? How much is too much?

11-Jun-20
Good for you Dave, glad you are off the streets as well.

Habitat, I agree again.

NCK, the mush brains are right here, including yours. Habitat said the same thing I did, but you did not take a shot at him. Obviously you have an agenda which includes a problem with me. I am not concerned, you are just a garden variety agitator. Now go read some credible sources, not your opinion pieces, and learn something.

11-Jun-20
Why are you trying to ban baiting because CWD as your major reasoning seems weak to me (evidence earlier post). Why do YOU really want it banned? And your P&Y chart is a weak argument also. The last statement is OPINION only.

What are you basing the 50K number on? I don’t follow. See how that works...turn about is fair play.

11-Jun-20
Cherney, the more you post the less sense you make in what position you have. Ryan was pretty clear to me, the spread of CWD caused by baiting or minerals is negligible in his opinion as a wildlife biologist, both in training and in career..

Kyle, just wondering if you use a release? I know others have criticized your use of decoys. These arguments are worthless. If it is legal, so be it. Let's try and inform each other with facts and learn.

I use cameras at mostly habitat projects as my 4 acre plot above shows. I use them on minerals right now as having both Robin and I contract Lyme disease in the recent past, I like to minimize my forays into the thick stuff. I keep the mineral areas mowed. We also like to use less chemicals on our clothes and bodies to keep ticks away. Robin lost her mom and baby sister to cancer and is convinced chemicals are the cause of many cell mutations. She kind of has me a little convinced. Monitoring herd health is a component of QDM. Remember, I asked about the growths on a recent picture. You don't have to agree with the approach, nor do I need your approval. I do try and respect everyone enough to explain why I do what I do and let others decide for themselves.

Doesn't it get old with the "my way is the right way" all the time?

11-Jun-20
It seems like your way is the only way Frank. I say something you don’t agree with and you say I’m making less sense. He says he’s seen things and posts almost nothing to back it up and you applaud (because he likes baiting like you).

Ryan I’m against it mainly for the reasons I stated several times already. CWD is one of the reasons. The main reason for me is that without it we wouldn’t have so many outfitters and we wouldn’t have such a hard time finding good places to hunt. Most of the land in the county I grew up in is leased. Without bait I don’t believe that would be the case. Maybe it’s only my opinion and there is no way to prove it with “facts”. You can’t study what the state would look like without bait when bait is legal. Not sure what you want me to do other than shut up and wait for our quality to drop to a level that outfitters no longer think it’s worth coming here?

11-Jun-20
Careful NCK. He'll blow your inbox up and shit'll take 30 days to clear out..

11-Jun-20
Thornton, did you ever think those dove hunters may have been shooting at you intentionally? LOL. You two are a lot alike.

Now, please start telling the truth, which is difficult for you I know. The PMs started with you threatening me because I disagreed with one of your posts. And then you continue to whine like a baby when you received as good as you gave, well, actually better than you gave.

What really are you doing here any way? You are a gun hunter for the most part right, I mean except when launching projectiles from your bow through brush.

But heck, at least you weren't using a release as someone above mentioned eliminating them. LOL!

11-Jun-20
"We have made sacrifices and until I finally purchased my land I always worked two jobs."

Such an American Hero.......there is no doubt you love yourself above and beyond:^)

"Kyle, just wondering if you use a release? I know others have criticized your use of decoys."

Remember HFW 97% of people don't post and I guarantee you 96% of them read your propaganda and see right though it. Your method is to bring up nonsensical information to distract from your blatant disregard for wildlife. What Kyle does has NOTHING to do with CWD and you know it. But like a true propagandist you spin the story to fit your narrative. At the end of the day you are the pig that brings deer to one location time and time again spreading the disease. All the science says so.... you would think a "professor" would understand....:^)

11-Jun-20
You asked how much baiting I think happens in Kansas. I made an estimate. What am I supposed to do? Send out a survey? Go count them? Wtf is your problem.

11-Jun-20
Ah, never mind. I guess you didn’t get it. Good luck with your anti-baiting petition. For the record I have never hunted over bait and don’t plan too. It’s not my thing.

It just seems a little petty to have this thread hijacked over baiting. OPINION only.

11-Jun-20
No Patrick, you are wrong again. Ryan, Robin and I broke bread last evening. He toured my micro project. He is not pro-baiting, not at all. He doesn't believe it causes a measurable impact on the spread of CWD. He has been very clear about that. His position is much different than liking baiting which you accused him of, and you have to ask what his problem is?

That does not fit your agenda of everyone having to agree with you about your view on baiting so you make inaccurate statements such as we both like baiting. My way is to be as accurate as possible when translating another's views/comments. Such as it is not my way only, you can disagree with me as much as you want. I encourage debate, not stifle it. But, only facts will move my position. That is also what Ryan is saying. No less than 7 biologists have toured my habitat work, and all so far have supported it including the licks and limited use of feeders. What I have read, extensively I will add, has also convinced me my approach has many more benefits than risks. So have my actual observations with regards to habitat work since 1994 or so. You want to change my mind, do it with facts not emotions or with attacks.

11-Jun-20
It seems like this is hard for most to understand, so let's break it down for those who are struggling. I'll list some pros and cons of baiting. Feel free to add any. Make damn sure they are facts and not simply common sense tho. Best regards.

Pros- 1. Makes hunting and seeing wildlife easier Cons- 1. Widely accepted to increase the spread of diseases including CWD 2. Lactic Acidosis 3. Bovine Tuberculosis 4. Surveys show the general public doesn't consider baiting fair chase 5. Costs time and money that could be spent learning how to hunt without it

11-Jun-20
For the record I didn't turn this thread into a baiting debate. NCK called out frank and then he started arguing. Makes more sense why you joined the party tho. You bait Frank and he is arguing with me about baiting. Sorry again, boss. I need to ask clear and concise question and wait for your responses. I'll remember that. I'm sure you won't answer but I'll give it a shot. I'm curious for your responses on the pros and cons. Should be enlightening.

11-Jun-20
Patrick you might be right on some of these but on hoping that it would less NRs if baiting was banned I don't think would happen. Don't know if you have ever hunted the state right next to you in Missouri but the 20 something years I hunted there the no bait didn't phase the hunters any. There was tons of pressure from out of staters. You might have something going with the outfitters...I could see maybe that might could knock out some of them which would help. Another pro to feeding though is it gives you a better feel of what is on your place and more sightings which I think helps out in managing. But I agree though with you if it helps out in spreading CWD then that itself definitely knocks out all the pros and it needs to be banned.

11-Jun-20
Patrick,

The opinions of people surveyed count but a wildlife biologist's opinion doesn't. You just can't make this stuff up.

This is what fake Tom posted;

Habitat for Wildlife = Salt and Feeders

I didn't start arguing. I posted information to show fake Tom posts factually inaccurate information. That is his integrity. I don't even use salt, but minerals that are specific for wildlife benefits, but does include salt as an attractant. Do minerals help herd health and logically by extension will healthier deer be better equipped to deal with diseases, wounds etc.?

Yes, criticize me for having the heart of a teacher. As noted above there are many who read but do not post. As a teacher I hate to leave misinformation published without being challenged so as to not have anyone believe something to be true that isn't. Some see that as a fault, I do not.

I set the record straight, and gave the proof you demand that my work is mainly something other than fake Tom alleges. Good money says his integrity lacks the capacity to admit his accusation was off target. While you admitted on this thread a positive comment about my habitat work, you never challenged fake Tom but do Ryan. At least to me that says something, including people too often possess herd mentality and will run with what is popular lest criticism be aimed their way. I have never been so weak as to do that.

11-Jun-20
"So your logic is because there is CWD in KS we should shut down the economy, I mean habitat work?" For such an open-minded and debate loving guy you sure seemed to put words in my mouth here, Frank. It's okay. We're all in this together. I'll forgive you.

11-Jun-20
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

11-Jun-20
Calhoun - Just going off the fact that the cons seems to far outweigh the pros. Missouri is a bit different as far as carrying capacity is concerned. I believe Kansas needs to manage better than states like Missouri in order to avoid lasting detrimental effects to the herd. The SE part of the state can hold some deer, but if we get to a point where we depopulate too much it could take a long time to recover with the state needing that revenue.

11-Jun-20
I've challenged that dude already. I'll challenge anyone. I'm all for Ryan's input but it just seemed like he was arguing just for the sake of it. Didn't even seem like he had a stance. Turns out he doesn't really care about baiting, just trying to help you out. Which is fine.

11-Jun-20
No I definitely agree Patrick that Kansas doesn't need to follow Missouri's way of doing things. The over the counter tags and letting them shoot multiple bucks is just too much but I just mentioned Missouri cause it serves as a base that people will still come to hunt even if the state bans baiting. I agree though Kansas doesn't have the cover like Kansas and it would real tough for Kansas to come back if taken too far. Like I said before get the Landowners on your side. Ya'll have the upper hand in that since ya'll live there....spend some time with them. They can regulate a lot of things and get an area where it is supposed to be.

11-Jun-20
Patrick, One Arrow, did you see the question mark? You know what that means right??? It is a question asking for clarification, not putting words in anyone's mouth.

My gosh, what are we teaching today??? LOL!

11-Jun-20
Still waiting for your additions, Frank. Post away.

Pros- 1. Makes hunting and seeing wildlife easier

Cons- 1. Widely accepted to increase the spread of diseases including CWD 2. Lactic Acidosis 3. Bovine Tuberculosis 4. Surveys show the general public doesn't consider baiting fair chase 5. Costs time and money that could be spent learning how to hunt without it

11-Jun-20
Sorry Frank. I'm too stupid for Bowsite. I didn't realize rhetorical questions required answers. To answer your question, I am adamantly opposed to the discontinuance of habitat work as a result of CWD presence in Kansas. Thanks for asking.

11-Jun-20

11-Jun-20
It is not stupidity getting in your way, just your commitment to being obtuse.

OK, let me respond to both of your last posts simultaneously if that is OK?

Basic reading comprehension would answer what pros and cons I believe are accurate. As you know in previous exchanges I am against baiting for someone like myself who has places to hunt. I am not against it in all cases such as the young person from a non-hunting family, pre-driver's license age, no transportation etc. I take this view as the real threats to the herd, public image etc. must be balanced with recruiting future hunters if conservation is to have a chance to exist in the future. This is just my opinion, no facts to support it other than having known the exact situation I described and I was willing to look the other way.

I have also previously asked if no disease is present, how does a lick, pile or broadcasted bait spread the disease? This was also not a rhetorical question. Do some entities want to stop baiting because it will help them sell more of their products, like seeds for example? I think this might be a possibility. Like some others I believe normal deer behavior can and may even spread diseases more quickly or efficiently than baiting does.

Not all deer contract CWD in areas it has been found. Why not? Logic dictates there must be a reason so I do not agree with eradicating all animals to stop the spread. Natural selection, let the weak die and the strong continue to breed. CWD it is now accepted has been around a long time, and our herds have grown. So, in terms of preventing disease spread, I believe this is a weak argument.

Not everyone is concerned about hunting, some just want food on the table and the easiest way to do that is put our bait in their mind. I don't call it hunting, it is grocery shopping done with a little more personal involvement. I am OK with this as well.

Your best argument IMHO is public image. And anyone who knows me knows how much Robin and I both put into conservation and know I do not hunt over bait. Patrick, Sito and others can vouch for my preferred method of hanging a stand on every single hunt. I believe deer pattern us long before we do them. I am religious about how I hunt a specific property throughout the season, and people who do not comply with the rules do not get invited back. Yep, I would like to convince everyone to undertake habitat work if they can, but realize not everyone is in a position to do so. So I try and accept that and have as good as an influence as possible, note what I posted above about changing some of my neighbors' attitudes.

I use a compound, a release, fiber optic 3 pin sites, a range finder, camo, tree stands/blinds etc. How many people are opposed to those items. I just don't jump on a bandwagon to have government change much lest people get the government to change something I don't want them to. And people who are going bait will do it anyway, even if it is illegal. It happens in MO every season.

Is that enough "additions"?

Just wondering, should we outlaw bird feeders as well? Why or why not?

Thanks.

11-Jun-20
Cool pics JB! Can't wait to pull my cards next week.

Frank you posted over 300 times on the main forum denouncing baiting right, I mean that was the same you right? Ryan is obviously educated and more obviously confused.

Question: Why did either of you pick up a bow in the first place?

11-Jun-20
Hmmm. It's a sad day when a "rifle hunter" out bowhunts a cornholing "professor" at his own game 3 years running even when he forgot his release..

11-Jun-20
Thanks Sit. Not a single one taken with a trailcam. All taken this week with my phone. Most while sneaking around trying to get close. Good summer practice stalking.

11-Jun-20
Even better JB, getting close is what we aim to do I believe

11-Jun-20
That is pretty neat Jason....lol the first pic sure looks like a body of a doe and the actions with the foot up if you took off those nubs off the top of his head. I like that pic though.

11-Jun-20
Thornton,

With such a vivid imagination you need to write children's books. Does your last three seasons include that turkey you shot with gun versus mine with bow? Oh, that's right, I used a blind so how you did it was much more difficult. LOL.

Yes Sito, in the situation you are referring to, a person of means owning private property surrounded by public using bait to draw a public resource into his private property while baiting on public is not allowed, I adamantly disagree with. Just as I disagree with myself baiting on properties I have access to. And that person admitted having access to thousands of acres. You bet, he is obligated to go find the deer.

I just don't get why it has to be an all or nothing with you. There are cases where baiting is more beneficial to our goal of continued conservation than counter to it IMHO, such as allowing for a new recruit which we can work with over time.

Personally Kyle I started bow hunting to have more time in the woods. I thoroughly enjoy sitting in a tree in October at peak leaf color change. I have very limited rifle experience with deer, and yes it was too easy. But it was not the increased difficulty that brought me to archery, it was the extended seasons and OTC tags.

I regret having ever mounted an animal. You want the truth, I think trophy hunting is killing our activity as much as anything else. I know people who do not hunt that are turned off by those who are hunting for bone. I like your season laid out for us, but I know there are some turned off by it. Do you care what they think?

I don't have any answers for anyone other than myself. I do what I think is best for the resource and try to be generous and give back. There are hunters out there doing things I disagree with, but there are some reading this thread who make their own bows, arrows, strings etc. who are totally turned off with the way I hunt during archery season. They would tell you the original intent was to make it more difficult and now technology has changed that and will probably cause seasons or limits to be changed because "archery" is just not that difficult any longer. And I can't disagree with them. What is your response? Most justify everything they believe in and readily find fault in others for what they disagree with. Myself included. Are we not getting tired of this as a nation?

Catscratch, those are awesome pictures and really cool how you took them. I am terrible with picture taking. Thanks for sharing.

11-Jun-20
Well with my commitment to being obtuse and lack of reading comprehension skills it's going to be hard to respond, but here goes nothing.

So you think public image is negatively impacted by baiting, but first time hunters will think "wow that was awesome. The buck came in for lunch and we killed the sucker. I feel so accomplished! Let's go again."

As far as disease spread the studies and research are all out there. Use your professor skills and check them out for yourself. I'm sure that your stance will change if you open your mind and read a little.

Camo, releases, and sights don't convince deer to come to the same place regularly. Good try tho. Weak argument, but valiant effort.

For those who are hungry and just out to fill the freezer, I imagine most are rifle hunters. For those that bowhunt, I guarantee you they can kill a deer without bait if they stick with it.

I haven't read much about bird feeders, Frank. Do they spread diseases? Hopefully you don't shoot the birds that come to your bird feeders...

11-Jun-20

Be Still, I had the kids out letting them do the sneak and I just followed. Crosswind was perfect and they picked the right path to get close to the other bucks they had spotted. They didn't know this little guy was even there. Everybody made eye contact at the same time and froze. Successful lesson as it's usually the one you aren't focused on that busts you. Next shot was of his ass high tailing it out and taking the other 3 bucks with him.

11-Jun-20
Oh Great same Ol Kansas Bowsite routine every year. Can someone start a NEW ANTLER GROWTH page this one has gone down the shit pipe.

11-Jun-20
So you think public image is negatively impacted by baiting, but first time hunters will think "wow that was awesome. The buck came in for lunch and we killed the sucker. I feel so accomplished! Let's go again."

Where did I ever say that or imply it?

I think a first time hunter will have mostly a reaction of awe and a desire to learn and get better. That was my reaction with my first deer anyway. There was no high fiving or shouting, but this was back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth. Honestly Patrick, I have a difficult time conversing with you when you go off the deep end implying things I never said.

I have checked out the articles, and just like with Covid there are disagreements. That is why I asked the question why some deer in CWD areas do not contract CWD. There is not a definitive answer other than they probably were not exposed to it. Which again, logic would tell me some deer will survive no matter what we do, most likely. I accept you and others disagree, but you insisted on my response. I provided it, don't get upset with me because we don't agree. I accept that you disagree with me AND leave open the possibility I may be wrong. It will not be the first time.

The point about technology was not about getting deer to come to a particular spot like baiting or decoys (you opened that door), but rather people will find disagreement on how archery hunting should be. You know that though, again, you are bright, just obtuse.

Maybe read up on bird feeders, there are those that believe they can cause disease spread, cause birds to become lazy and starve even if the little old lady passes who used to fill the feeder, or even cats and other birds of prey learn where easy meals can be located. You don't see this on a bag of bird feed though.

11-Jun-20
Yep it was a hard hunt and much different than yours Habitat. I sneaked 1/2 a mile to get into position and called him in from the middle of the field while hiding behind a big elm wearing a green raincoat. No decoy, blind, expensive camo, or bait was used. Shot'im in the head with a imp/cyl/mod barreled quail gun as he tried to run away.

11-Jun-20
I could have shot no less than 6 bearded birds this season with a gun, and posted pictures of two to prove it. It isn't difficult at all Thornton, and that is why you do it all while trying to act like you are some great hunter.

And that first buck you took an ill-advised shot at was much smaller than what I harvested this season. Good thing you got a do-over, I didn't need one, made the shot, he died in sight.

11-Jun-20
You implied it by saying “ As you know in previous exchanges I am against baiting for someone like myself who has places to hunt. I am not against it in all cases such as the young person from a non-hunting family, pre-driver's license age, no transportation etc. I take this view as the real threats to the herd, public image etc. must be balanced with recruiting future hunters if conservation is to have a chance to exist in the future. This is just my opinion, no facts to support it”

You take shots at me all day and don’t even remember what you write. Have a good night. I hope it’s spent reading about being less attacking and all-knowing. For a guy who likes to debate you sure get upset easily. Called me obtuse multiple times. Said I can’t read. All over a stance you kind of disagree with. Tomorrow will be a better day for you, I hope.

11-Jun-20
Again, where does what you just posted regarding a quote of mine show any similarity to the reaction your imaginary hunter had? There is zero Patrick, and you are smart enough to know that. Your imaginary hunter did not have a reaction even close to what I did. My first was a 120 inch deer that everyone kept telling me was awesome. I had no idea, I thought they were talking body weight and they had to tell me they meant rack size.

Every day I am alive is a good one, I hope you feel the same. If you actually believe the quote of mine you posted implies a new hunter will react in the manner you stated, we will have to quit debating. I am not upset, just bewildered that you continually blow out of proportion what someone says, such as Ryan likes baiting. Please think about it and going forward quote people accurately. Do not take liberties interpreting what you think they said.

Good night.

11-Jun-20
How would baiting help in hunter recruitment if it turns off the general public? Bye Frank.

11-Jun-20
I never considered what the general public thought when I decided to start hunting. And all of my nephews, little brothers never asked or ever even mentioned the attitudes of the general public with regards to hunting, at least not to me. They were mostly interested in hunting strategies and why we were doing what we were doing. And eating lunch, LOL.

You asked me to read, I will ask the same. I have read that new hunters will get quickly bored if they do not see game and are less likely to try again. I have read that it takes several times taking a person out before it has a chance of sticking. Hope that might shed some light on your question?

Just as HE teaches the stages of a hunter, I have no problem starting them with bait and after some success help them understand they were not really hunting and now we have to move in a direction that is required for full respect of the quarry and full consideration of others. Again, maybe I am wrong.

11-Jun-20
I apologize for saying you and Ryan like baiting. You only think it’s good for certain situations like hunter recruitment and keeping deer off of your beans. Ryan doesn’t bait or like bait. My mistake. It wasn’t me being obtuse I am just not user to people arguing for things they are opposed to or neutral on.

11-Jun-20
Apology accepted and sincere thanks. I apologize for coming off as a know it all and generally argumentative.

11-Jun-20
I guess taking hunters out to poor spots that are baited has a higher likelihood of seeing deer than a poor spot that is unbaited. But that again goes back to my argument against baiting. If it weren’t for baiting we would have better spots to take Kids for their first hunt because they wouldn’t all be leased by people from New York and North Carolina.

11-Jun-20
Leased by outfitters for use by out of state hunters

12-Jun-20
I agree leasing is a problem that I have only recently come to appreciate.

Don't make the same big mistake I did. I lived too conservatively and waited too long to purchase land. Get your own piece and you can forget about what is going on elsewhere. Best wishes!

12-Jun-20
"I regret having ever mounted an animal. You want the truth, I think trophy hunting is killing our activity as much as anything else."

"And that first buck you took an ill-advised shot at was much smaller than what I harvested this season."

12-Jun-20
Your point Tom? I did not mount that buck. He was shot because of the amount of meat he provided, much more than any of the 5 does I harvested last year.

His rack was long ago chewed up by Buddy, and Buddy has progressed through several others. Even game some away to neighbors for chew toys. Every mount I have is for sale at any time and I will literally plow the money back into habitat on our land.

So, let's see you post more than criticisms of others. You won't because you know that will open you up to criticism, which being the coward you are you remain in your safe place with anonymity.

12-Jun-20
Habitat are you saying you agree with what I had been saying on here 10 years ago in regards to leasing!!!!!!!! Just joking with you!!!!! Although if I owned a half section of land that was prime hunting and bordered other ground that offered good habitat, I can understand that I might have a different outlook on leasing. But in the broad picture of 82,277 square miles, it is a problem, especially when an outfitters leases up 30,000 plus acres at a time. Those outfitters would lease it all if they could. The problem is compounded with Kansas ranking 49th in the U.S. when it comes to public land in the most sought after state for non resident deer hunting. 98.1% private combined with leasing puts a large percentage of hunters on public land.

12-Jun-20
Frank I guess I don't get where trophy hunting is not good. Since most deer have to get old to get to trophy status what is wrong with taking out an old deer that pretty soon is going to start losing teeth and start going downhill? Compared to shooting a young deer that is up and coming and still have good years in front of him. And why would I just shoot does when I nearly have just as many bucks as does on my property?

12-Jun-20
“Ryan is obviously educated and more obviously confused.

Question: Why did either of you pick up a bow in the first place?“

Sensitivity and camo. You must be great with the ladies.

Why did I pick up a bow? Good grief.

12-Jun-20
Clipper, it may have been you in a PM exchange that provided some information that made me think differently about leasing? I believe I said after purchasing our farm in MO in 2007 I really don't hunt KS hardly at all. Every year for at least 15 straight they had me fill out the hunt diary, a few years ago I said I would not do it any longer as I pretty much focused my efforts on our farm. I wrote a polite letter and told them that.

I didn't say trophy hunting is wrong, I said it is what is killing our passion, via demand for outfitters, leasing, locked up ground etc. But non-trophy hunting is no better or no worse. The back straps off of fawns are awesome, much more tender and better tasting than an old rut worn buck IMHO. I guess that will probably start another debate, but not intentionally. I don't care what others do if it is legal and ethical. But would I like us all to work at protecting the long term health of the resource? Most definitely, and how we do that we can and should disagree on IMHO. Public support for our activity is a must, and I have read surveys where the public thinks trophy hunting is not right, not much different than baiting.

Speaking of baiting again, why does MO allow it except for hunting season if it is a health nightmare? Maybe because the best argument against baiting is that it does not equate to fair chase, and I agree. Good thing I wasn't chasing whitetails then when I used corn, eh?

12-Jun-20
Frank, I really appreciate your threads on the food plots and keeping it simple for us that are just starting out. I've got 150 acres in East Central OK and working on the plots now. Just added 6000 lbs of lime to 3 plots to get pH up. It currently has rye and clover but not nearly as thick as yours. I see how successful you are along with pics of Buddy.

This is a PM I received before this debate. Not uncommon for me to receive them, and I send similar ones often to guys posting habitat stuff that I have "stolen" ideas from. Which happens quite a bit. I know guys who won't post because of this kind of crap.

How many others read habitat posts and glean ideas and then get started? I bet many, and that is good for conservation. Much better IMHO than complaining about some wannabe hunters sitting over bait.

I never saw this person's handle before the PM.

That is why I post, it has nothing to due with self indulgence. Getting hundreds or even thousands of folks to landscape native or implement micro habitat projects I believe can make a huge difference in both actual results of improved conservation and public image. If insults from folks I don't know is part of the price I have to pay, gladly will I.

12-Jun-20
"But would I like us all to work at protecting the long term health of the resource? Most definitely, and how we do that we can and should disagree on IMHO. Public support for our activity is a must, and I have read surveys where the public thinks trophy hunting is not right, not much different than baiting. I know guys who won't post because of this kind of crap."

"How many others read habitat posts and glean ideas and then get started? I bet many, and that is good for conservation. Much better IMHO than complaining about some wannabe hunters sitting over bait."

Since you don't agree with someone else's idea about how to protect the long term health of the resource it becomes "complaining" and "this kind of crap". Such a pleasant guy to discuss things with lately.

12-Jun-20
Patrick,

"My" ideas are someone else's as well. A lot of other folks agree with me, including some right here. I don't know how many ways to say it, you can have your ideas, I can have mine and we can get along. I don't see guys like Tom criticizing anyone else, and I only see me pointing that out.

I am not critical of anyone disagreeing with me. I am critical of attacks that are unwarranted. I have laid out my views with the logic behind them.

Sorry if I seem unpleasant. I see our country, one I love, burning down and it is because of exactly what we see here. Someone doesn't like your style or agree with you, we attack the individual via their profession or other avenue, instead of sticking to the merits of each view. And I am just as guilty, so even a little ticked off with myself I guess. But the anti-baiting rants that went on here for a long time turned a ton of people away including myself. Just don't want that to start up again.

You don't agree with how I protected the beans. You were right to offer an idea. I responded why I could not take that approach, and even if I could would not spend the money to do so because I feel that money can be put into better conservation practices. No problem with discussions like that, I thought it ended well?

12-Jun-20
"Your point Tom?" Your hypocrisy and narcissism.

You keep saying I am hiding. I live in NCK and my name is Tom Williams. So now what?

12-Jun-20
If you want to encourage friendly debate, I'd suggest explaining who you feel is complaining and spewing crap. Otherwise it seems you just don't like the pushback and you fly off the handle at anyone who even slightly disagrees with you. You're good. Just seem to be a little inconsistent with your approach. Happy Friday!

12-Jun-20
I already explained who is making personal attacks.

Please inform me where you think I am inconsistent?

I don't think using corn in applications like what I did threatens the herd's health any more than other normal deer behavior, nor is that behavior at risk of offending the public as I was not hunting over it.

Yes, I allow for baiting in some specific cases already having explained my reasons for doing so.

I don't see any inconsistencies, and don't mind you disagreeing.

Here is another example of what I see as an unpleasantry;

Ryan is obviously educated and more obviously confused.

Ryan is "confused" because he doesn't agree with the all-knowing Kyle. Here is the inconsistency I see, you let insults like that receive a free pass but point out every not perfectly nice words I use. Hmmm!

12-Jun-20
I've asked Kyle to be nicer in the past. Calling someone confused is on the nicer end of the scale for his interactions with people who are arguing in favor of the continued use of baiting. You're a grown man. You can respond to your own attackers. If you didn't make comments about welcoming open discussion I wouldn't have cared how you respond to people.

12-Jun-20
Frank you're a little long winded and that will develope inconsistency just naturally. I've been a little inconsistent and wrong already. Speaking about Kyle I let him get underneath my skin and I popped off about his decoys knowing as soon as I was comparing baiting and decoying that I was in the wrong. Putting out decoys makes it a lot more fair and doesn't risk putting a lot of animals in one tiny spot if you're concerned about CWD.

12-Jun-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
My arrow was dead on horizontally but zipped right over his back. I was unaware you had shot anything this big since 2011. He's not huge, but I thought he might go 140" as a ten point clearly outside his ears by several inches. In hindsight I'm very glad it was a clean miss. Awesome hunt, over open country to get within 40 yards of 3 bedded bucks is an experience in itself not known to those who sit in a tree over bait.

12-Jun-20
Well, I don't sit in trees over bait, and have never taken a shot at a live animal through brush without my release so I acknowledge you have that experience over me. Nor have I taken 600 yard shots at animals and called it hunting.

12-Jun-20
Well, I don't sit in trees over bait, and have never taken a shot at a live animal through brush without my release so I acknowledge you have that experience over me. Nor have I taken 600 yard shots at animals and called it hunting.

12-Jun-20
Pretty sure Ryan can speak for himself Frank, I mean no disrespect just my observation. Have a good weekend all, let your fingers rest now and then ;>[€)

12-Jun-20

Finally got a decent one on camera.

12-Jun-20
Tom,

What now is I can conclude what I first thought, you are an egotistical jerk who knows a lot less than you pretend. A credible professional is not going to diagnose narcissism, or other mental afflictions, over the internet. But keep posting, give me more, like your profession. Level the playing field so I can sling insults right back at you.

You didn't pop up out of nowhere and start sending insults just my way unless there is more to this, and we both know there is.

Hypocrisy to me as an example would be insulting the manhood of other hunters because they use a crossbow or bait stating their position is such because real archery hunting is supposed to be challenging and up close, but they use a high let-off compound with all the bells and whistles. We are supposed to accept being insulted and allow this person to decide when an approach is difficult enough to be called bowhunting.

No Tom, it is not narcissism, just what is called good ego strength and confidence. I know and admit all of my limitations, including being long winded, I just recognize everyone puts their pants on the same way that has ever lived, with the exception of One. In fact, I have actual results to prove what I just stated.

12-Jun-20
Lets get back to the thread title. You guys can solve your problems via private messaging. C'mon man!!!

12-Jun-20
Could end up being a good deer there Jeff. Looks like his brows are going to be really good.

12-Jun-20
NCK has been my handle for at least 10 years. Been watching your narcissist self for many years HFW and decided that I was not going to sit back and watch you try and manipulate the truth any more. You talk about not caring about antlers then you tell Thornton yours is bigger. Then you write a paragraph on how you let your dog chew it up because you TRY and project that you are so above the antler addition. You say you hate to see antlers ruling the hunting...then you post your biggest bucks eating from your feeders. You HFW are a false prophet. A complete fake. You know that and it is why you have to rely on your propaganda machine. Carry on you master of habitat:^) Tell us again how hard your worked for your land............LOL you are pathetic!

12-Jun-20
All these post and almost no pics of deer??. You guys need to lower the AC and chill out lol

12-Jun-20
I also find it funny for someone who always sees 160” deer the one you clean missed looks like maybe 120”

12-Jun-20
I’ll post some pics later today or tomorrow Frank. Hang in there. Might start a new thread for it tho!

12-Jun-20
Bodyman missed you on here! Where you been buddy? These guys are making you and I look like saints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-Jun-20
I saw him passed out atop the Dollar General in Sedan so...

12-Jun-20
Thanks Patrick, at the farm now.

Tom, you are a liar. I can care less about rack size any more. I just told Thornton the truth about size. Simple as that, and he like you has a problem with the truth. See comment from someone else about his guesses on rack size.

Get over yourself. I post big bucks and swarms of does trying to get others excited about habitat. You can't accept that because you simply are a dirt bag with nothing to offer positive. That is a reflection on you, not anyone else.

12-Jun-20
Been workin my tail off me and the wife crappie fished a bit this spring did ok. Sit you should have climbed up and drank a beer with me haha good view from up there

12-Jun-20
Jeff they have got pretty mean on here must be the heat us old guys know when to go inside and cool off

12-Jun-20
LOL yea! Just chillin' at home, can't go to the Casino with the Chinese Coronavirus!!!!!

12-Jun-20
I love it when people aren’t politically correct have a good evening

12-Jun-20

12-Jun-20
Bodyman, I've posted some deer pics but they got drowned out pretty quickly. I might try again someday, might not.

12-Jun-20
Jason I seen some good picks!

12-Jun-20
Maybe someone could write a poem about antler growth?

12-Jun-20
Come and listen to my story about a man from KS A poor crp man, barely kept his taxidermist fed, And then one day he was shootin at some booners, And up through the ground come a bubblin cernals.

Corn that is, yellow gold, Texas feed.

Well the first thing you know the ol States a millionaire, The NR's said "baiters move away from there" Said "Californy is the place you ought to be" So they loaded up the truck and they moved to Beverly...

12-Jun-20
I have a feelin you already have one

12-Jun-20
Friggin awesome

12-Jun-20

One Arrow's Link

12-Jun-20
If you haven’t had a cold beer on top of the Dollar General in Sedan, then you haven’t lived!

14-Jun-20

Got this one with the new camera. Might be a nice one. Looks like junk on the base of left antler.

14-Jun-20
That’s a big boy clip look at the summer time body on him when they usually look thin and small necked

14-Jun-20
I am pretty certain this is the same buck that came in to 30 yds last year then walked out backwards on me.

14-Jun-20
Looks like he sees your camera. Might want to consider that for the upcoming season...

Great buck for this time of year. If he puts some length on those tines he be a monster!

14-Jun-20
That camera will be gone by July 1st. Then I won't go into the woods til the end of October.

14-Jun-20
I agree the body on that buck looks big.

14-Jun-20
We are so glad NJ thinks we have big deer, Makes us all so much more comfortable. Gives our youngsters so much more to look forward too.

14-Jun-20
Seeing a lot of deer with G4s starting to sprout. The extreme drought most of Kansas is in will hurt things from here on out if we do not start getting some rains.

15-Jun-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Just cool to watch this time of year in their natural state

15-Jun-20
Drove by a spot this morning that can be a little honey hole with the right crops. Last year it was cotton and not so good. This year 1/4 section of Wheat. 1/2 section of corn and the remainder is in beans. I was happy to see the cotton gone, but cows were added on the 80 of CRP. Time to go set a a tripod with the spotting scope up on the roof of the truck and watch from afar.

15-Jun-20
Good deer Sito!!!!

• Sitka Gear