Contributors to this thread:
nymoment 29-May-20
Pat Lefemine 30-May-20
nymoment 01-Jun-20
nymoment 24-Jun-20
Pat Lefemine 26-Jun-20
Pat Lefemine 26-Jun-20
29-May-20
Hi all. New to this site. I started a clover field this spring now I am getting weed growth that I would like to control. It seems like Clethodim is the stuff to use. I found out they won't ship it to New York. Is there any thing else that would work? Thanks in advance New York Moment

29-May-20
My son owns a landscaping business. I’ll ask him and I’ll get back to you.

29-May-20
Hey nymoment, just got a text from my son...he recommends you mow it. Mowing clover means more clover. It tends to choke out the weedy growth. Actually, I should have thought of that because that is all we do with our clover plots. Good luck. Let me know how it goes.

30-May-20

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
My clover plot is largely weed and grass free. If you can stay on top of it, you will enjoy 3-5 years of perennial growth.
Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo
My clover plot is largely weed and grass free. If you can stay on top of it, you will enjoy 3-5 years of perennial growth.
NYmoment, clethodim controls grass it does not control weeds. Here's what I do and I've been planting plots for 25 years.

For clover and/or alfalfa plots, spray clethodim and 2-4DB (which is different than 2-4D which will kill everything) It's also called Butyrac. These two herbicides can be mixed together and sprayed at the same time. The 2-4DB kills weeds in clover/alfalfa plots. The Clethodim will suppress or hopefully kill the grass.

Mowing will control weeds only, it will stimulate grass and clover. I spray and then mow throughout the summer.

Good luck.

01-Jun-20
Thank you for the info. will mow this weekend.

24-Jun-20
Mowed and sprayed the Clethodim about 2 weeks ago. Already seeing a difference. Thanks for the info Gary

26-Jun-20
Good luck!

26-Jun-20
Good luck!

• Sitka Gear