Dale06 15-Jul-20
Habitat 15-Jul-20
keepemsharp 15-Jul-20
Kansasclipper 15-Jul-20
Bodyman 15-Jul-20
Bodyman 15-Jul-20
10-Jun-20

cherney12's Link
Please sign this petition. Once I have 5+ signatures I will post to the Kansas Hunting and Fishing Facebook page. If I can get 20,000 maybe we will get somewhere.

10-Jun-20

cherney12's Link

10-Jun-20
No thank you

10-Jun-20
I'm all for it but it is wasted, will never happen. Every year we are getting closer to Texas.

10-Jun-20
I think you would be more successful having a petition to receive a free bag of corn vs getting it banned.

10-Jun-20
Couldn't sign it fast enough! Here's where we separate the men from the...

Curious to see the responses, but I think I made it exactly 5 hours on that FB page before getting banned. Very few actual hunters on that page.

10-Jun-20
Sito,

I wondered why I have not seen you post there. I have a good time on that page. i get blasted a lot but I ask some serious questions.

10-Jun-20
I posted it on there. Someone commented on it and they removed it. Idk maybe try again

10-Jun-20
So you know that only one or two people are "admins" and they can do what they want right Patrick? Heck I built a "Bait free KS Hunting" page, a couple years ago, but never launched it publicly...maybe try that if you want to devote the time to fighting lesser men.

10-Jun-20
Haha I don't want to spend time fighting anyone. Just want to MAKE KANSAS GREAT AGAIN.

11-Jun-20
You seem to want to spend time fighting me Patrick. I will pass on this wasted effort.

Immerse yourself into habitat work to keep KS great for all wildlife.

11-Jun-20
I’m not fighting with you. Just trying to help you see that feeding corn isn’t habitat work and according to biologists can increase the spread of CWD. Sorry boss.

11-Jun-20
Good, and I am trying to help you be less emotional. Read what was posted, go to the thread I referenced. I used that corn to make sure the deer had a great food source during deep winter. The corn kept pressure off the beans until they produced BIG TIME! Actual field work and observations taught me a lot more than emotional rants ever have Patrick.

11-Jun-20
Funny Texas has some of the biggest bucks and they still put corn out,I do alot more habitat work than most and I still have a feeder out.If they know so much about CWD then why don't they have more answers,we have to figure out a way to get deer from touching each other since they only do that when by a corn pile?

11-Jun-20
They have some of the biggest bucks on deer farms or in the wild? I'm sure there are plenty of answers. What questions do you have?

11-Jun-20

cherney12's embedded Photo
Someone on the main forum asked for some supporting info for a couple of the claims in my petition :P I threw together this chart last night from the B&C and P&Y entries to see if what everyone has been talking about with declining numbers of big deer was true. Interesting data.

11-Jun-20
Where were you guys 15 years ago when I told you on this forum Kansas was headed down the toilet?????????? Most everyone on here thought how great it was. Too little too late now. Too many changes to undo.

11-Jun-20
Pretty much all the books show that 2008-2009 was the hay day.

11-Jun-20
Falling off a cliff now tho

11-Jun-20
15yrs ago I was sending letters and making phone calls to lawmakers and Reps. Was doing it before that and have continued with emails (nobody writes anymore).

The 08 peak may be reflective of social media and popularity of hunting shows rather than deer killed. In the 80's everybody knew what the "books" were, nobody I knew entered them. Now lots of people put their deer in them as well as all over the interwebs. Data doesn't always demonstrate cause and effect. Or maybe 08 was the hayday.

11-Jun-20
They opened it up for non-resident hunting in what 1993? Crossbows for everyone in 2013?

11-Jun-20
Spot on Habitat.

Patrick, you are bouncing around from one issue to another. Too much drama for me.

11-Jun-20
What are you talking about dude? I posted a graph. I'm curious why the numbers are what they are. I'm sure you already know the answer. Please enlighten us.

11-Jun-20
2008-2009 the "Hay Day"? LOL. Long before that!!! Try the late 80's early 90's. Jason is right, no one entered deer into the books back then unless your name was Myles Keller. Deer were measured by how many points they had not how many inches. I have had my best luck acquiring hunting permission by a hand written letter. People are always amazed that someone would take the time to use a paper and pen and then put a stamp on it. Emails are easy.

11-Jun-20
Baiting, crossbows etc. tons of reasons it is all going to hell in a hand bag from your view point. Focus on getting that chunk of land and reversing the trend with tangible efforts, that's my answer.

11-Jun-20
Clip so you don't put any stock in the numbers? Let's say we leave 1993 and earlier out of the discussion. Do you think there is truly a decline in book caliber deer or just that people have decided to no longer enter them for some reason?

11-Jun-20

Kansasclipper's embedded Photo
This explains your graph. A 2008 flagship Mathews bow. Combined with a finger release vs mechanical release. Besides, the hay day isn't measured by how big deer are. I would much rather shoot smaller deer and enjoy the freedom of not competing for hunting properties and competition from other hunters. Everything about the bowhunting experience was better 40 years ago.

11-Jun-20
I hunt a section of land in west central Kansas. It is CRP type of grass, 4” to 3’ tall with some minor elevation changes. There are zero trees on the property, except the dozen 6’ tall fruit trees that I’ve planted. It is surrounded by pastures and crop fields. I have two corn feeders on the property and hunt over them with archery equipment from ground blinds. In about ten years, I’ve seen zero p&y bucks at the feeders. However I and relatives also rifle hunt the land. We see and kill some 130-150” bucks on it. There is no reasonable way to bowhunt this property unless you hunt over bait. I wish this property was partially forested and there were trees for tree stands and trails to hunt. But there isn’t and never will be, in that climate. So I’m a bait advocate.

11-Jun-20

Versus this! A 1980 Flagship Bear bow. Lets put one of these in everyone's hand without the aid of a mechanical release, range finder, light carbon arrows, range finder, etc. and see how the graph looks. Plus there was a large percentage of hunters still shooting traditional.

11-Jun-20
Hay day for book deer. That’s all I was saying. It was the peak in that time period.

11-Jun-20
I guess I confused your question. The decline in recent years is poor management. But as to the peak in 2008, that was equipment and the large amount of hunters. Deer used to die of old age. Now they can't make it to age 3. It is a mess that should have never happened. It all started with James Kroll, early muzzle loader, then 1995.

11-Jun-20
Heyday* sorry

11-Jun-20
Corn piling is the only way to properly bowhunt crp? News to me.

11-Jun-20
Just another excuse KB, baiters know and recite them all. "Never seen a P&Y at the feeder" yet I continue to sit them...mmm-kay.

11-Jun-20
If I could change one law pertaining to equipment... it would be the exclusion of releases in archery. Shoot fingers = archery. Shoot with a mechanical aid = not archery. Take away the releases and it won't matter how you configure your wheels, cams, stocks, pulleys, reflex/deflex limbs, etc. It all becomes the same.

Not even going to start on the baiting thing. Nobody wants to hear that rant.

11-Jun-20
I started shooting a release in 2007 prior to that all my deer were killed by shooting finger release. Compounds just got to short. I have a Mathews HTR I might try shooting with fingers but my goal is to just hunt full time with my recurve. KB I agree, "corn is the only way to hunt crp" is an ignorant statement.

11-Jun-20
I think I would be for signing that if it helps slow down CWD. I use corn now up there mainly because my neighbors do and so I feel like to keep up with them and keep deer on my side I got to as well. I know I make jabs at Sito but he's right on that it makes it easier to kill a big deer. But take CWD out of the picture and I disagree corn is causing the decline in Big deer. I probably wouldn't have passed all the big deer last season or had a chance to pass them if I wasn't feeding therefore I feel comfortable about passing the 3 and 4 yr olds cause I feel they have a good chance of making it. I don't mind making it more challenging but most people when the sightings become less frequent they feel the itch more to shoot that 3 or 4 yr old. But this CWD thing does bother me so I would vote to ban baiting myself. It would even out the playing field as well and probably be best for the state as a whole.

11-Jun-20
I wonder why my hunting spots have so many hunters if it's declining? Some years I plant my own sunflowers because the WA has 40 hunters in 1 ten acre field. I've been shot and peppered more times in the last 5 years dove and teal hunting than I ever did in the 90's. I won't even start the rant about deer..

11-Jun-20
Jason it's because in Kansas it's still a better chance of getting a decent deer than some other states. Some people say they don't come to Kansas to shoot for inches but deep down they really are. In Kansas it's not that difficult to shoot a younger deer that has bigger horns than in some other states that is 5 or 6 yrs old. Also the chance of shooting a real good one brings them there but most of the time when that young one walks by that has decent horns they can't hold off. Getting all the landowners on the same page is the key....the state can make whatever the laws they want but if enough landowners stand up they can control the hunting ethics in their area.

11-Jun-20
Thornton because most of today's hunter's were not hunting 40 years ago. They see KDWPT advertising more than any other state. The motto is "Liberal bag limits and long seasons". All they have to compare today to is yesterday. Not yesteryear or the last couple of decades.

11-Jun-20
The decline in that chart could be reflecting the decline in those who want to score their deer by a certified scorer or send scores into P&Y and B&C. Just a thought...

11-Jun-20
I dont know but I think a lot of NR just have "KANSAS" on the brain because of all the stupid hunting shows. I've shot 2 decent bucks and seen big ones in Missouri and Oklahoma. In fact, I plan on hunting NW Oklahoma again this year around Thanksgiving. As has been said several times already, a 150" buck is a rare good one for most around here anymore. Back in the 90"s nobody blinked.

11-Jun-20
I signed it. Not for CWD, disease, or not because it’s the “easy way”. Though all good reasons, I signed it because of outfitters and the commercialization of wildlife.

Do all the habitat work you want, pass on deer, put in food plots. If you have an outfitter near or on your property lines... it’s all wasted.

Hunting is dead.

11-Jun-20
Thank you Ray

11-Jun-20
Ray,

It's only wasted if done solely for deer hunting. That's not me. What's killing us is the desire for trophies and not the desire to just hunt. How about we start a contract with each other to only shoot anterless deer for the next 3 seasons? I bet we would get less signers than Patrick's petition.

Patrick, how many so far? Why do you think this thread was removed from BGF?

12-Jun-20
13 and counting. My friend Kaleb said he made a questionable comment that likely got it yanked. However, the KH&F Facebook page took it down after the first comment and won’t post it again. Hard and divisive topics don’t last long. Most people just want to talk about cool easygoing stuff.

12-Jun-20
Frank, you and I have 2 completely different ideas on this and I do not wish to debate this.

HOWEVER, I will say there is a very fine line between habitat work and self indulgence.

Baiting needs to go.

12-Jun-20
Why do you need a contract, Frank? If that's your conviction to only shoot does for the next 3 years then follow your arrow.

12-Jun-20
Ray you may be correct, but only I and the Good Lord know what's in my heart. I could quit hunting tomorrow, I could not quit habitat work until I am physically not able to. But Ray, even if it is self-indulgence, the wildlife still benefits. That corn kept .75 acres of beans from being destroyed and combined with the rye grain allowed deer access to a food source that helped deliver bacteria needed in their digestive tract during winter. You are correct, we won't debate it. What we did was 100% helpful to the wildlife, it is that simple no matter how much people want to bend it otherwise.

Patrick, I don't need a contract. I was making a point, and I think again you know that. It is not baiting killing hunting in KS, it is the attraction of bone. Get a petition going to outlaw buck hunting and all of our problems stop, Make that your problems, I still think KDWP does a good job overall and their biologists probably get tired about hearing nothing but deer complaints. They are responsible to manage all wildlife, game and non-game species.

12-Jun-20
I was making a point as well. While we're at it, I'll make another. You used corn to keep the pressure off your beans. Was that the only way to achieve that goal? No, not hardly. Was it the easiest? Probably. You could have built a big fence around your 0.75 acre soybean plot that deer wouldn't have crossed. Similarly, getting the state to outlaw buck hunting would be a hell of a lot harder than getting baiting banned statewide. Come on, Frank. I don't have enough energy to do this all day again.

12-Jun-20
That's good, because our HOA has rules to prevent building a big fence around part of our land. LOL!

I don't care if it was easy, it accomplished what was intended while benefitting wildlife and was not hunted over. Get over it, the herd mentality of the place is ridiculous at times. Does being publicly against baiting get your man card punched or something? Get a piece of land, undertake some projects and get back to me with better ways that I can actually implement. I will be all ears, and yes Patrick monetary considerations count like the cost in money and time of erecting a fence even if allowed.

You don't have to agree with my approach, but the rants about corn causing the death of hunting in KS are nothing more than making it harder for outfitters to attract NR so there is more opportunity for locals. When you have deer piling into ag fields doing what deer do, the disease risk remains. If we were serious about reducing the disease risk, we should reduce herd numbers significantly but we both know hunters and the state agencies dependent on revenue are not going to allow that.

12-Jun-20
LOL I figured you got a workaround like you did for your NG. My bust. Have a happy Friday and a good weekend.

12-Jun-20
Thanks, you as well.

Unrelated, I walk 2 miles every morning with buddy through our common areas. Hardly a day goes by when it warms up that he does not bring at least one turtle to me from the woods or tall grass. I always try to put them back because I have read a turtle is stressed when taken out of their small home range.

I cannot break him from doing this. Why does a lab go after turtles? This is my 5th lab and I have never had this occur before.

12-Jun-20
Clip, you see KDWP advertising deer more than any other state?

Interesting, when I worked they told me not to promote deer hunting because we already had marker saturation. I worked with TV programs the state helped sponsor and they wouldn’t let them do a Kansas deer show.

Curious, Thorton. In what year were you born. You must be older than I think.

12-Jun-20

12-Jun-20
Cherney12 I enjoyed the above chart about the declining deer in Kansas. Did you ever think it might not be CWD or bait piles causing the decline .Maybe your deer are just getting smarter and moved to Missouri or Nebraska or another state were people don't cry all the time about people using bait or people coming to there state and stealing there deer. Maybe it is not other people the bait or the deer. Maybe you just suck at hunting. Shit you are resident of the state you made the laws now bend over and take it.

12-Jun-20
haha good point. I should have thought about that. I guess everyone who hunts in Kansas is getting worse, not just me.

12-Jun-20
Writer- I'm pushing 40

12-Jun-20
Geez, Jason, you start combating people on Bowsite when you were about 12 or 13? :-)

12-Jun-20
Sling...we didn't make the laws. That was done by the legislature, to make it easier to cash in on non-resident $$$$.

But you're right, I got pulled on to Bowsite in about 2001, when people were bitching about how good it was 20 years early. Kind of like they're doing now.

Kyle...you mean all of those Pope & Young-class bucks we see pics of over corn piles or feeders are smart enough to only come if they see a camera is there?

12-Jun-20
I live in a state were anybody can walk in to a Walmart and buy a $250.00 Buck rifle tag in the peak of the Rut (Mo). I ain't mad at them I would do the same if I could in another state. I just have to make sure I am a better hunter with better knowledge than them to kill that big buck before them. And in the off season to try to get legislature to bend the rules in my direction. Maybe a Big buck lives matter rally . We could cut the woods down and burn down all the out of state deer hunter's blinds and stands. I am just kidding I think if it is legal then why not. I am just glad people are hunting there are few of us left that is why the rules are out of our favor. I don't care how you hunt as long as you do you are alright with me. If it is someones private land who am I to tell them what to do or how to do it. If a deer is dumb enough to walk out to the middle of a open field to eat a pile of corn you might not want him in your herd.Cull hunting it ain't all about the big racks the dumb one should get a chance to die too .

12-Jun-20

12-Jun-20
There was an old crotchety guy that used to post on here that informed me I would disappear in a year because I wasn't a real bowhunter. That was ten years ago when I started "combating" :) and he has since disappeared

12-Jun-20
I guess he was not a real wizard since you did not disappear.

12-Jun-20

Writer they are always advertising on the Outdoor Channel. Their slogan is long seasons and liberal bag limits. They advertise in every magazine I subscribe to as well. The only state I see advertising. They also are a sponsor on a couple of shows on PBS. I just happen to have a Pheasants Forever mag sitting next to my chair. They like to promote all the public land available in a state that ranks 49th in the U.S. for public land.

12-Jun-20
"Sling...we didn't make the laws. That was done by the legislature, to make it easier to cash in on non-resident $$$$. But you're right, I got pulled on to Bowsite in about 2001, when people were bitching about how good it was 20 years early. Kind of like they're doing now."

I was one of those. I am just glad Frank jumped on board with me in regards to leasing. Don't worry Writer, I will carry on the "Tradition". 19 years and going strong!!!!!

12-Jun-20
Lots of knowledge to be gained here. I’m wide open to recommendations on how to hunt a CRP field that’s essential flat, witH varying heights of grass up to about 3 feet. The nearest tree is about 1.5 miles away, except for the dozen fruit trees I planted that are maybe 6’ tall. Surrounding land is pasture on three sides and a wheat/fallow field on the forth side. Seems like the anti baiters have this figured out, educate the rest of us. Oh and I said I never saw any real big deer on the feeders I use, but still hunt them. Some one commented no P and Y at the bait but he still hunts it. Frankly I don’t give a rats ass about inches of antler. I have arrowed roughly 75 bucks ( not as many as lots on here ) from from 6-10 point. I suspect that some would make THE BOOK but have never measured them, cause I really don’t care about that.

12-Jun-20
Get an ASAT Leafy Suit and go where the deer are. I find it is easier to set up on CRP trails than a trail in the woods when wearing an ASAT suit. You can also spot and stalk. I have also built blinds for CRP out of cattle panels covered with marsh grass. Almost everything I hunt is CRP. I love it when there are no tree's, that generally means no other hunters and that is where big bucks take their does during the rut. Some people just can't get past a stand in a tree or ground blind over corn.

12-Jun-20
I'd like to see an aerial of the spot with "no tree for 1.5mi". Where do the deer live? Do they just rise from the CRP each evening and head to the corn pile...I mean all the little bucks of course.

P.S. Who sent the Slingblade guy...bet he hits hard

12-Jun-20
Sling, you ever shot a bug buck in KS?

12-Jun-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
I'm at a bar on the Indiana side of Louisville, I think the town has a name, so far I have 16 folks signed up Patrick...but they all think they're signing a "Johnny Knoxville for President" petition, will this help?

13-Jun-20
Haha yessir. Keep em coming. Be safe out there.

13-Jun-20
No Thornton I have never shot a Bug buck In Kansas. I have killed a lot of big bugs in Kansas. I have Shot a lot of big bucks in Mo. were I live. I heard the hunters of Kansas don't like other hunters stealing there wild deer. So much like a no trespassing signs I stay clear. Besides as my earlier post states all the deer from Kansas moved to Mo. I live 15 miles From the border of Kansas it has been good Hunting When all the Non residents show up and run your deer to my side.

13-Jun-20
As for the rules and reg. I know it is not our fault. I just some times like to sling crap and see who it sticks to. Sorry no offence I come in peace. There is no one ever on my forum so I just stopped by to see how the other half lives.

13-Jun-20
Ha Jerod you'll find it will stick on them....they get their feelings hurt really easy. They have that tender skin...it's funny cause all the ranchers and farmers I run into up there are tough hard working men. But the Kansas hunters.....ummmm not so much. The little titty babies...just want to whine whine whine and more whine.

13-Jun-20
^ this coming from a Texvestite with two first names and no special purpose so...

13-Jun-20
Aw there's my little friend....I missed you little man. 2 first names and you forgot who uses bait. This one here Jerod....he knows how to have a little fun though.

13-Jun-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Little? I ain't never been litte

13-Jun-20
Aw you was actually a cute little fella....what happened after that though.

13-Jun-20
But you are starting to make me feel guilty about baiting though. This one I have been watching for 3 years has been loving my corn and I was getting pretty excited about taking him this year but you have taken some of the excitement out of it....thank you Sito for doing that.

13-Jun-20
Sling- not likely. My sister's in-laws own a few hundred acres in Missouri I hunt sometimes. Pretty thick oaks and I get the impression the deer dont move as far as in wide open KS. I also used to guide near Joplin on the KS side on 10,000 acres. There are some nice bucks though. Once in a while I hear of a big one shot in Mark Twain Nat'l.

13-Jun-20
Thornton, I have 1200 acres of mixed 640 soybeans this year and the rest is hay fields and timber and a little cattle . I only have tiny little bitty deer. If I recall right Jackson County Mo. The County with Kansas city Mo. at its middle Had 73 or 78 pope and young Entries in 2019 so If that is all you heard well shit you must be deaf. All from the state of Kansas stumbled over from Westport drunk and got shot on the Mo. side. I am sure that is the only way I could ever shoot a big deer in Mo. I will tell you what you show me yours and I will show you mine we just won't tell your wife . I noticed on a post earlier you stated you shot 2 decent bucks and seen a few big ones. I will warn you this is getting ready to be embarrassing on your part. Hey If you can't look dumb in front of your Friends what is the point. So now I give the same question to you have you ever shot a big Bug in Kansas.

13-Jun-20

slingNsticks's embedded Photo
Just tiny little bitty Deer

13-Jun-20
Got the kill Photos ready to go.

13-Jun-20
I'm always good for looking at kill pics. Post em up!

13-Jun-20
Let’s see if em boys and settle this pissen match

13-Jun-20
Thornton might have not killed any real big ones yet though cause he stalks his deer. That's more difficult....even in Kansas.

13-Jun-20
If you shot'm in KS over a failure pile they don't count, but you know that.

13-Jun-20
Love that baby pic Sito you haven’t changed a bit

13-Jun-20
Thornton, friends?

13-Jun-20
That sounded a little pedofeelius there Frank, but thanks I guess ;?)

13-Jun-20
Well Kansas just needs to hurry up and ban baiting then....just telling you the truth it would be hard for me to quit putting out corn when my neighbors are doing it up there as well.

13-Jun-20
Lol that made me look weak I know.

13-Jun-20
That's just another excuse, you think my neighbors don't bait?

13-Jun-20
Yep...but I'm kinda wanting this one particular deer. Real good chance he's going to be in the 80's this year. If I could hold off him this year thinking he might reach 200. But I guess it doesn't mean much if you're shooting a pet trained to corn huh.

13-Jun-20

Maybe a freaky buck?

13-Jun-20
If he's in the 80s he's about 40 years old?

13-Jun-20
Take off the 0 at the end and that was his age last year.

13-Jun-20
I will give him a few to show up for a fighting chance .Then I will post mine anyways. All Bow kills no rifle Kills Just from the last 3 years 2017=141,2018=149 , 2019=160. That's best I can do if we can't bring guns . Not monsters but not bad for a fat guy in a little stand in Mo.

13-Jun-20
Pretty good Sling for Missouri. I used to hunt there....2016 was my last year there and then I started hunting Kansas. In my experience Missouri deer is a lot more skittish and harder to kill than Kansas deer.

13-Jun-20

13-Jun-20
I didn't see a 160....where's a pic of it?

13-Jun-20
Not my kill but this is the biggest bow kill off my property. My buddy brought his friend home from the base with him for deer season. Me and my buddy came out of the stands to eat lunch and bullshit. His friend was from Alabama and decided he was going to hunt all day. We got the call about 35 minutes later. First kill with a bow Damn non-residents.

13-Jun-20

13-Jun-20
Last one looks like a decent deer... needed another year though.

13-Jun-20
I don't know Ray...depending on what part of Missouri. Looks pretty mature in the face....did the last one score mid 50s Sling?

13-Jun-20

be still's embedded Photo
Here's a few Missouri deer when I used to hunt there Sling.

13-Jun-20
Not bad guys, some nice deer.

13-Jun-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
My biggest Missouri buck. Not huge but the neighbor said it was the biggest he'd seen in a while. Lots of hunting pressure there. Haven't been there in years.

13-Jun-20

Oklahoma and Colorado biggest bucks

13-Jun-20

Biggest KS buck 2011 public land stalk.

13-Jun-20
Oh dang Thornton...that's a hell of an 8 pt. He's really nice and to make a stalk on public ground makes it even better.

13-Jun-20

Shot an old one last year close to home after hunting all over the state. 12 point with 7" 4th diameter measurements.

13-Jun-20
Dang he is heavy...what was his total mass?

13-Jun-20
He only went about 140". Points were short. Shot him late season and I was very happy to get him.

13-Jun-20
Oh yeah that's a good deer too....I was talking about his mass measurement though. Looks like it would be over 45

13-Jun-20
Not sure. I'd have to re-measure him. He's in the freezer. I cant decide if I want to mount it or not. I've got a dozen heads and running out of room.

13-Jun-20
Oh he is so heavy he's worth taking to the taxidermist. It's a lot about memories too...I like mounting my bigger ones because I like to look at them and let them take me back to that day and recall all of the events of that moment.

14-Jun-20
Signed! Thanks for posting, now if we could just get oklahoma to do the same

14-Jul-20

Not in KS but some nice bucks at the pile.

14-Jul-20

cherney12's Link
CWD

15-Jul-20
Sito, This thread is getting old and I have not been back to it for a while. To answer your question, yes the deer are bedded in the CRP, and adjoining pastures that surround my land on three sides. Exactly as you said, they get up out of the grass and go to the feeders. There are no trees on my land except for the dozen or so fruit trees that I planted that are10’ tall. I forgot, there is 10 or so cotton wood trees in the road ditch adjoining my property, other than that, no trees for over a mile. That lack of trees is not at all uncommon in western and west central Kansas. So again, I’m open to how to hunt a square mile of grass of varying height up to 3’ or so, without using bait.

15-Jul-20
Surprised you got those fruit trees to live that long without a lot of water. They were 6 feet and now 10 feet so they must be growing fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How about ground blinds or the ASAT Leafy Suit on the trails leading and going to bedding and crops? I gave you some tips in the beginning of this thread, guess you ignored it or didn't want to hear it so you could keep your corn pile.

15-Jul-20
Agree with Clipper...mow some trails in a wheel spoke pattern from the outside perimeter to the center. Seed trails with clover. Trails lead to food plot in the center, which is not bait. Place haybale blind in favorable position for prevailing wind.

Or....mow like above and forget food plot. Wait until late October and use decoys with plenty of Tinks or similar. This pulls as well as food during the rut.

Or, just hunt legally and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.

GL;-)

15-Jul-20
The trees were watered the first several years, multiple times per spring and summer. Thanks, I’ll keep hunting legally.

15-Jul-20
I thought maybe this thread would become at least alittle intelligent by now but the same old your way is wrong thread

15-Jul-20
Just hunt what's out there like we all used to do.

15-Jul-20
Randy not at all. He asked for other ways to hunt CRP. I have been killing mature deer from CRP for several decades.

15-Jul-20
If the food plot in the center is not BAIT like you said habitat why would the deer come to it ????

15-Jul-20
When you alter any kind of a wild piece of country in order to draw deer to it ITS BAITING

15-Jul-20
I forgot the smiley face men. My apologies.

• Sitka Gear