Mathews Inc.
Ottawa, Allegan, Barry Co public
Michigan
Contributors to this thread:
D_Jay51 14-Jun-20
Dutchman 11-Jul-20
Dutchman 17-Sep-20
14-Jun-20
This fall will be my second year bow hunting, looking for suggestions on areas in Allegan, Ottawa, or Barry county to hunt public land. Maybe some spots that aren’t pressured like Allegan & Middleville state land seems to be Not looking to kill huge buck, just see deer and learn the process Any suggestions would be appreciated

11-Jul-20
I hunting Allegan county, main thing is get far from the crowds. Do not overlook small parcels of state land. Allegan state game area and Yankee Springs in Barry county. There are deer on the public grounds but they get hit hard during gun season and archery season is not as bad but boots on the ground is needed. The area I would point you in is near the various marshes/wetlands.

17-Sep-20
Agreed, it is a game of how far you are willing to go away from the road. Some hunters only travel a few hundred yards, and those deer are gone shortly when the pressure is on. Lots of marsh/wetlands in Allegan county. Yankee Springs is good to, look for the small parcels of land, one furthest from a parking area. There are deer on these public areas, I hunt those areas myself and seen plenty. Look at maps and find a couple of areas that are remote or cutoff from the rest of the state lands and head out the door this weekend and start looking.

• Sitka Gear