Puttncut 23-Jun-20
HDE 23-Jun-20
Darrell 23-Jun-20
HDE 23-Jun-20
Barrera 24-Jun-20
Dyjack 24-Jun-20
HDE 24-Jun-20
15-Jun-20
After I drop that 300+ bull on the second or third day of my first-ever Unit 51 second season archery hunt - any suggestions on where I should take my 5wt Sage and box of flies? (my Grandpa always said - "if the Bulls*** flies - let it !")

16-Jun-20
Yes. Go north to the Conejos ;)

17-Jun-20
There or the San Juan.

18-Jun-20
Hope you aren't going to hold out for a 300+ in 51. Beautiful country and good elk numbers but mostly skinny horned Colorado type bulls. If you lower your standards or get incredibly lucky, then yes, take a drive to the San Juan. No better place to float a fly.

18-Jun-20
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'm a bit FOS at times - but having driven past 51 in my 6 trips to SW Colorado (I only get to elk hunt about every 5 years) I'm really excited about embarrassing myself in front of some New Mexico bulls - regardless of size. But I LOVE to fly fish as much as I love hearing bulls just before daylight. So I greatly appreciate your input. After driving 27 hours from Virginia, another three or four out to the San Juan won't matter much...and the NM bulls can only take so much humor!

19-Jun-20
Rio chama is just a mountain pass way as well.

20-Jun-20
Yep, Rio Chama

22-Jun-20
There is also an overlooked creek right in the heart of unit 51 , you could hunt and fish in the same spot. you will need a small 3 wt fly rod and some good terrestrail patterns and you can have a blast on native cuthroat trout . thank me later but center your fishing and scouting around el rito creek.... not uncommon to cathc 100 natives in a couple days .. and all that is great elk country

22-Jun-20
oh and one other piece of advise.. Lock all you shit up at cam and in your truck in this area. One of the worst area for thieves in the world. I had a whole camp stolen from me down to my chairs and water jugs, tents everything .

22-Jun-20
51, great unit. Top end rivers near there.

1. Rio Grande (1 hour) 2. Chama (1+ hour) 3. Conejos (1 hour away in Colorado) 4. San Juan 5. Rio Vallecitos (runs through the unit.

If it were me, I’d hit the Chama, or Rio Grande. Can’t beat the scenery of the Rio Grande from John Dunn north. Conejos can be great, but technical fishing. If you’ve never been to the San Juan, it’s worth the drive depending on flows- just make sure and do some research on it. It’s an exceptional river, but it’s tail-water fishing- and can require size 22 flies fished drag free.

22-Jun-20

ABE29's embedded Photo
San Juan Brown
ABE29's embedded Photo
San Juan Brown

22-Jun-20

ABE29's embedded Photo
San Juan Brown
ABE29's embedded Photo
San Juan Brown

22-Jun-20
"One of the worst area for thieves in the world."

I thought that was 6C?

23-Jun-20
I just responded privately to Bobby - but I'm really concerned about camp theft. Any advice is much appreciated concerning this sad issue. I'm driving 27 hours from Virginia with a trailer/ATV - have purchased multiple locking mechanisms...thought about elevated trail cameras...but a tent camp with all the trimmings will be problematic. I had thought about trying to contact some private landowners in the area to pay-camp but thought better of it - who DO ya trust? Holy cow - that's a monster brown...would be a bitch on 7x tippet !! Thanks to all for responding ... I sincerely appreciate it. I only get to elk hunt every 5 years or so - not on this forum often.

23-Jun-20
Puttncut, PM sent incase there are any "thieves" reading this thread ; ^ )

23-Jun-20
Theft has been a huge problem in 51 for the 27 years that we have been up there off and on. We have never personally had a problem, though we have talked to numerous people who have including a crew from Alabama who had their camp that was 1/2 mile above us raided while they were out hunting. I think one of the reasons we have never had any issues is we always camp next to a main road and we have a big camp. We set up at least one extra tent which is handy for storage and we always have a vehicle, and usually two or more, in camp as we travel primarily on ATVs so it always appears there is someone there or at least very close. Cameras would only be helpful if you went to prosecute and the odds of that actually happening are incredibly slim and your hunt would still be ruined. If they are stealing from your camp, they will likely steal the cameras also. If they are hidden, you might get good pictures of the thieves and yet nothing will likely be done about it.

23-Jun-20
^^^ that's because their cousin is the town police chief and their uncle is the local judge...

24-Jun-20
HDE, Agree on 6c. First hand experiences. Beautiful country though..

24-Jun-20
Yeah 6c and 6a are shady as shit. The locals don't take too kindly round there. And essentially any Rio arriba unit.

24-Jun-20
Think it depends on what part of of Rio Arriba county. Unit 2 is pretty safe, unit 4, and the eastern side of 52 seem OK.

• Sitka Gear