writer 14-Sep-20
Catscratch 15-Sep-20
Bigfeet14 15-Sep-20
jayhawkmarauder 15-Sep-20
writer 15-Sep-20
writer 15-Sep-20
The Kid 16-Sep-20
15-Jun-20
Well I put in again for the lifetime elusive Kansas Elk Tag. Curious as to how many others on here put in. I think it I should have around 12 preference points as I forget which year they started. Now i think to myself I have put in every year in Kansas since I was 18 and think man if I would have been that strict on say Colorado or Arizona I would have a ton of points by now.

15-Jun-20
C’mon Matt. You still get around pretty damn well, but I think 30 is quite a ways in the rear view?!

Just a point for me. If I ever draw it I hope it’s later on and I can devote my entire September to it. Not because I want to kill a giant, but just have the time to soak it in. Maybe by then elk will be common enough in other parts of Kansas that it’ll be reasonable to turn one up with some effort outside the base though.

I hear you on other states. Spent 10 points in Wyoming two years ago. Wish I’d have started the rest at the same time. 2-4 elsewhere and will never catch primo units in any of them.

15-Jun-20
I missed it again, guess my points will go away now, feel pretty stupid but when they changed the application date it threw me off. Good luck bud!

15-Jun-20
Pretty sure it’s a 5 year no-activity buffer before points disappear Kyle. Hasn’t been that long since they changed it has it?

15-Jun-20
Kyle I’m in the same boat. Missed it twice in a row... That date change has thrown me off. I think you can miss up to 5 times before you lose your points.

15-Jun-20
Where in Kansas, do you guys have elk? I’m guessing the very SW corner, but not certain of that. How many tags do they issue each year? Residents only, I’m assuming?

15-Jun-20
KB...often takes more than September.

You have to be ready to hunt when the conditions are best, and not when you’d just like to hunt.

Tried to convince one guy who drew of that and he had his week picked....and 90 percent of the hunting units were closed that week.

15-Jun-20
Yeah, I’m aware of how it works. I wasn’t talking about just one week of September. Are you aware of anyone that has had an entire rut lost in the unit(s) they intended to hunt? That would be a bummer. But certainly part of the program in there.

15-Jun-20
Kb ya 30 is well in the rearview but I think they only started keeping pp 12 years ago or so.

16-Jun-20

KB's Link
Looks like 2005 was the first year they began charging for a point. Not sure if they awarded points prior for unsuccessful apps? Mentions an average of 900 applicants, but would be nice to get a hard breakdown of how many are applying for what and the number of points involved.

16-Jun-20
You can hunt elk in every county except the very SW county of Morton,I had a bull on the arkansas river and I heard guys found sheds in Butler county

16-Jun-20
Some Mennonite farmers in Butler County that let me bird hunt had a young bull cross their pasture in the summer. I have a pic of a bull killed on I-70 near Colby in 2017 that nobody turned in as an elk. Not to mention the big one on the turnpike North of Cassoday or the two bulls ran over in Harvey County.

16-Jun-20
Jason, friends from Newton who bow hunt Butler County had a rag horn coming to their corn pile off and on most of the season before last.

At least two mature bulls have been killed out along the Ninnescah.

At one time KDWP figured there were up to seven independent populations in Kansas.

16-Jun-20
I hunt two areas in Western Kansas that have huntable Elk populations but I have never seen them just trail cam photos. These areas are generally all private with not much access.

16-Jun-20
A few years ago a buddy of mine from Hutchinson had 2 bulls spending the Spring on his place NW of Hutch near the Arkansas River drainage. He had a few months of trail cam pics to prove it.

16-Jun-20
Here in Missouri they are having their first Elk hunt. 10 once in a lifetime permits total, everyone who apply's pays 10 bucks, win or lose. They have not said anything about preference points, if like their managed hunts they say they put your name in a hat for every year you apply...but nothing you can actually look up and see.

19-Jun-20

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
bull on I-70 near Colby

21-Jun-20

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
One of seven or eight elk a friend, and a few of his friends, have shot in “central Kansas, kinda.” They’ve been hunting a growing herd at least 10 years. If any of you recognize the hunter,...please keep it to yourself.

13-Sep-20
Matte, do you mind me asking where at in western KS, What county?

13-Sep-20
I have a friend in Western Kansas that actually rode an Elk.

Nope it was a Buffalo...

Yea, there's one more...

13-Sep-20
Lol, been a while since I've watched the Guy on a Buffalo videos. Good stuff!

14-Sep-20
Was that ted Nugent

14-Sep-20
Guy on a buffalo, what a great American classic!!

14-Sep-20
Somebody filled a KS Elk tag yesterday...wait til you see it!

14-Sep-20
Yes, looking forward to seeing the video too!

14-Sep-20
I heard he was a Super Celebrity who got the Governor Tags had twelve guides and flew in and shot it. Oh wait forgot this is Kansas and it was a pretty kick ass dude that shot one.

14-Sep-20
Heck of a bull, and pretty typical for Fort Riley. It looks like it could push for state record.

14-Sep-20

15-Sep-20
You all have me curious now...

15-Sep-20
It's a great bull taken by a sweet dude, but I wouldn't start the state record discussion with it.

15-Sep-20
I can attest to the fact that 2 years ago there was a bull alive that would shatter the record.

15-Sep-20
There have always been bulls alive that would shatter the state archery record, even though quality has gone downhill, especially as per net scores. . Until an animals on the ground, and taped, you don’t know what it is.

State record archery is 317, though a 340 was killed on private ground. Nice bill, but far from huge.

15-Sep-20
There have always been bulls alive that would shatter the state archery record, even though quality has gone downhill, especially as per net scores. . Until an animals on the ground, and taped, you don’t know what it is.

State record archery is 317, though a 340 was killed on private ground. Nice bill, but far from huge.

16-Sep-20
Thanks for all of the kind words guys! I posted the video on the meat pole.

• Sitka Gear