MDW 22-Jun-20
Matte 22-Jun-20
Bodyman 22-Jun-20
TwoDogs@work 22-Jun-20
Ben 22-Jun-20
doubledrop 23-Jun-20
Thornton 25-Jun-20
21-Jun-20
Dear Dad, Thank you for putting up with with such a careless, selfish ungrateful, greedy, sibling of mine. Happy Fathers Day from your favorite son! Hee, Hee!

Enjoy the day men....we darn sure deserve it! Let’s hear your your most cherished or funny story/memory about your Dad.

21-Jun-20
My dad took up archery and bowhunting when I was nearing my 14th birthday, simply because of my interest in it. He hadn't bowhunted for almost 20 years. We still hunt together. Now I'm the one teaching him habitat stuff. It has been an amazing journey. More than anything though, I thank him for leading me to the Lord.

The preacher read some statistics today of the importance of having a father in the home. They were from the Fatherhood Initiative. The results of a fatherless home are quite telling. Dads, we are important, don't let anybody tell you different!

21-Jun-20
My dad died last year but there's no way I could have had a better one. He lived his life through action and not with words. Probably the hardest working man I ever have came across but he also loved to hunt and fish. About the only time I could get him to stop working sometimes would be to stop and say daddy let's go to the river or go hunt....and sometimes he would put down the saw or hammer and say let's go Cap't. Thousands of good memories but one I always loved was him telling about his childhood...he had 9 brothers and yes from the same mom and dad. Stories about how they used to walk the rows with bare feet picking cotton and having to shoot rabbits and net the rivers just to have enough to eat always interested me. One time he told me about the only things they did were to work, fight, and fished....lol doesn't hurt none that here recently one of cousins told me that one of the uncles or his dad told him that my dad was the toughest one to whoop. Said when he joined the Marines when he was 17 yrs old he weighed 133 and only a few short years later he was 195 just because he got fed better. Daddy was tough but he loved animals and he loved people....even some of the people that treated him wrong he would turn around and help them out if they needed help. Used to make me mad and I would ask him why are you helping out these people that have treaded you badly but he wouldn't answer me and he would just turn my way and smile. He loved roadkill and remember us always stopping to check and see if the deer or other animal was warm or not spoiled so we could take it home. We were also always stopping and picking up hitchhikers and giving them rides as well. I couldn't had a better raising....we had horses, birds, rabbits, and land to hunt and fish on. The whippings with his belt was very hard but I'm sure glad that he had enough love for me to use it. In short my Daddy was a man....thank you Daddy for everything you did for me....I love you.

21-Jun-20
Me and my dad still laugh about this one to this day. It was 1985, and me an my buddies had been spending the entire summer walking the neighborhood streets , camping and noodling down at the nearby Canadian river at south edge of town and rarely wore shoes doing any of it. We rotated who’s house we’d raid each night for groceries and take it all down to our river base camp. So, by end of summer the bottom of my feet were as tough as nails.

It was tradition at the end of Summer that me and dad would have a tennis ball war. With a bag of tennis balls tied to both sides of our cut-off jean shorts and an aluminum garbage can lid as a shield we’d go at it.

At first, he was getting the best of me but (with his super soft wimpy feet protected by boots and sneakers all year) he had no idea where I was leading him to as I retreated through the neighborhood and he followed like a crazed dog trying to get my surrender.

There was an overgrown empty lot where a house had burned down years ago. Someone usually mowed it somewhat regularly and at this time it was about ankle tall. By the time Dad made it to the lot I had already crossed it and was near the back taunting him. He came at me like a laser and then stopped suddenly near the middle. What he didn’t know until then is that the lot he was crossing was full of stickers and goat heads and his bare feet were covered in them. I know there are stickers in KS but I have never seen goat heads here. Anyway, goat heads are on a whole other level of pain compared to stickers.

Yes, I too had some stickers and goat heads in the bottom of my feet but most didn’t stick and those that did didn’t hurt much because my feet were tough and rough as stone.

So, there he was stuck and unable to move. I was also the starting pitcher on my mid-high baseball team and at the time could throw a screaming fast ball. I also still had most of my tennis balls since I was primarily on the run from the start of this war.

Let’s just say when it was all over there wasn’t a spot on his body that didn’t have a tennis ball welp on it. For a long time, I made him display that lid in the garage with date of my win so everyone that came over could see it and ask about it.

When we think about it...we crack up so much because he and that lid looked like they’d been through an Okla hailstorm together.

Love you Dad...you took that beating like a real man.

22-Jun-20
My dad had a lot of stories fishing with his Grandpa (his dad had a bait shop at Meade Lake). Dad had stories of hunting where he grew up in Garden City. I do not know why but we never went hunting or fishing together. However I was thankful for the guns he got me for Christmas from a Daisy 856 to the shotgun i still shoot with today from time to time. I never faulted him for it as I knew he was busy with the Sonic drive ins he owned. So to all the dads and men that take a kid hunting and fishing, "thanks". I had a lot of adventures with my friends and their fathers.

22-Jun-20
...and I notice few work as hard at getting his kids outdoors as Matt. Interesting.

The summer mom died, I was 14, and dad and I fished at least three times a week. That was back when men didn’t cry or seek counseling. It helped so much.

After that, he maybe hunted once or twice a year and bass fished 6-8 times.

We’d hoped to do more together after he retired. It’s when I was globe trotting for WSJ and the possibilities were endless. The first time he climbed into a tree stand he leaned back and felt a horrible pain in his back. Bone cancer. He was amazingly fit otherwise. Never smoked, drank and did paid attention to his diet and exercise.

The cancer was not kind. He was, though , able to walk the 70 yards from his house to our lake and watch his grandkids fish. He was an outstanding grandfather, really. None better. Far more patient and dropped everything when they came.

His biggest regret in knowing he was going to die at 66 was that he wouldn’t get to spend more time with his grandkids.

It sounds nutty, but I really believe dad was along the spring after he died when I helped a friend, also dying of cancer, get his last turkey. Several things happened that day that just don’t happen.

It’s a long, long story that includes a plane that wouldn’t start in Georgia, cattle not being delivered and a special tom they seemed to have an aura about him. Seriously.

No, my friend didn’t shoot that tom but that bird sure made it possible for my friend to shoot one probably 20 minutes after normal fly-up time, with coyotes all around and my friend struggling ...

My friend basically went home, crawled in his recliner and died a few days later a very happy man.

That unique tom was never seen again.

Let’s all remember we’re the dads, grandpas or special friend or uncle others will be talking about in the future.

22-Jun-20
...and I notice few work as hard at getting his kids outdoors as Matt. Interesting.

The summer mom died, I was 14, and dad and I fished at least three times a week. That was back when men didn’t cry or seek counseling. It helped so much.

After that, he maybe hunted once or twice a year and bass fished 6-8 times.

We’d hoped to do more together after he retired. It’s when I was globe trotting for WSJ and the possibilities were endless. The first time he climbed into a tree stand he leaned back and felt a horrible pain in his back. Bone cancer. He was amazingly fit otherwise. Never smoked, drank and did paid attention to his diet and exercise.

The cancer was not kind. He was, though , able to walk the 70 yards from his house to our lake and watch his grandkids fish. He was an outstanding grandfather, really. None better. Far more patient and dropped everything when they came.

His biggest regret in knowing he was going to die at 66 was that he wouldn’t get to spend more time with his grandkids.

It sounds nutty, but I really believe dad was along the spring after he died when I helped a friend, also dying of cancer, get his last turkey. Several things happened that day that just don’t happen.

It’s a long, long story that includes a plane that wouldn’t start in Georgia, cattle not being delivered and a special tom they seemed to have an aura about him. Seriously.

No, my friend didn’t shoot that tom but that bird sure made it possible for my friend to shoot one probably 20 minutes after normal fly-up time, with coyotes all around and my friend struggling ...

My friend basically went home, crawled in his recliner and died a few days later a very happy man.

That unique tom was never seen again.

Let’s all remember we’re the dads, grandpas or special friend or uncle others will be talking about in the future.

22-Jun-20
My Dad didn't have time to hunt or fish. He was to busy just trying to survive growing up through the dust bowl years and great depression. All he knew was work, work, work. When my brothers and I started hunting, he was always interested and excited to hear all the details, if we were successful or not. I think he went deer hunting one year when in his 80's. We saw several bucks, but nothing he could get his sights on.

22-Jun-20
Writer that is an interesting story about the Tom. I had a friend that was into falconry pass away and the next week I had a Redtail Hawk that fallowed me everywhere at the Paintball Park. He would fly from tree to tree and land just a few feet from me at eye level. My mom lost her dad when she was ten, I sure wish I could of got to know him. He was on the game commission and all I know of him are from a few video taped meetings. He is one of the hunting promotions for Garden City that was done in the 60's

22-Jun-20
Great stories guys!!! . I to had a really great Father I miss him so much. I heard a while back that you never really become a man until you’ve lost your Dad I guess it’s because you always have him to lean on. Well he’s gone and I do know I’ll never be the man he was all I can do is the best I can.

22-Jun-20
Like Marvin's Dad my Dad also grew up in the 30's. The difference is that my Dad was from a farming family. There were seven children in the family so wild game and fish were needed to feed the family. He grew up hunting and fishing. As soon as my brothers and I were old enough he always made time for hunting and fishing with us.

One story sticks out in my mind. I was about 14 at the time. We owned a soybean field that had quite a few Prairie Chickens feeding in it. My Dad myself, two brothers were going to be waiting on opening morning of season. A neighbor asked if a couple of his friends could join us. My Dad said of course. Two or three flocks of Chickens came to feed and we got a few. One of the guests hit one but it struggled off and fell in a pasture a couple hundreds to the East. When the hunt ended Dad told the shooter he marked where the Chicken fell. The shooter responded that it would be useless too look for the bird. Dad walked to the spot where the bird fell and found it. He came back to the field , and told the guest "here is your bird". The hunter was informed that he need not come back. I guess seeing Dad refusing to allow a bird to be lost unless great effort was made to recover it, shaped how I feel about making every effort within reason to recover any game wounded. Whether it be a pheasant, a deer or whatever.

Unfortunately I lost Dad to a heart attack when he was 57 and I had just turned 21. It is sad to think of all the outdoor adventures we missed due to his early passing. I am glad the he had time for us when we were growing up. Almost 47 years later I still think of him every day.

22-Jun-20
I miss and loved my dad so much . He was a wonderful human being that would help anyone and he could do anything. We didn't start hunting until I was 13 because he had done so much shooting in ww2 that shooting was not something he wanted to do. When he did start hunting it was because my younger brother and I wanted to. We mainly bird hunted and he was an excellent shot. Anytime you could out shoot him it was something to brag about. RIP Dad wish we could talk just one more time!

23-Jun-20
Great stuff guys. I had not been on here in awhile and missed it, but I lost my dad in 2012 to pancreatic cancer. Some of our best memories were spent together in the outdoors. I'll have my brother-in-law to thank forever as he pushed us to do an elk trip with our dads at base camp in 2011. That was my last fall spent with my dad in good health. It was a memory I will cherish forever. I tell all of those I know who still have their dads to take that special trip and do not put it off as we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

25-Jun-20
I liked your story Twodogs. I've taken my lab around dove a chicken fields in the past and found many birds people were too lazy to look for. One time I watched a chicken fly by my friend Robert and he hammered 3 shots at it with a turkey choke. It didn't even flinch and landed normally about a quarter mile away. My old lab found it with 13 pellets across it's breast. My friend was very happy we found it because that was the only chicken he's shot to this day.

• Sitka Gear