Dale06 16-Nov-20
Quailhunter 16-Nov-20
Kansan 16-Nov-20
sitO 16-Nov-20
sitO 16-Nov-20
Kansan 17-Nov-20
Ucsdryder 17-Nov-20
21-Jun-20
How are the pheasants doing? It seemed to be a pretty mild winter. Did they have a good hatch? Any 2020-2021 predictions for numbers yet? I have some friends in western Kansas that I have access to hunt.

21-Jun-20
To early to really tell.

21-Jun-20
Five inch rains today in western Kansas won’t help...

21-Jun-20
Are the chicks hatch by now?

21-Jun-20
The rain and wind was terrible today. Sure it laid down some wheat which is sad because the wheat harvest was going to be excellent and the hatch was excellent. We aren't dry at all now. Had nearly 3 inches Thursday and over an inch about 10 days ago.

21-Jun-20
My friend on the Oklahoma/KS border said he's been seeing more pheasant and quail than usual. I haven't seen much around here but there is plenty of whistling.

23-Jun-20
Heavy hail 40-45 miles north of Dodge City plus 4-6” rain over last weekend. I would think that’s a big killer of young pheasants. And the population has been poor since summer of 2012. Not good!

23-Jun-20

24-Jun-20
Not the news I want to hear from a very neat area to hunt.

24-Jun-20
Sorry to hear that. Hope the crops are OK. We could use some rain here in EC KS.

25-Jun-20
Heard from a farmer in Sherman County who, as of yesterday, had just 3/4" of rain all this year.

A friend near Rolla said he's in a drought that's getting serious but the wheat's good enough they should have a fair pheasant season. He hasn't seen a scaled quail for many months, which is unfortunate because he manages some habitat for them. Not drought-related, he said, because conditions were perfect last year.

A farmer near Ingalls is getting 10-15 bushel wheat of dryland fields but said not far to the east things look much better. Still no much from buddies who farm in Scott, Wichita and Logan counties.

Sounds like it's going to be a season of extreme spots. Getting more and more common, but at least there will be some good spots.

25-Jun-20

Kansasclipper's Link
We had 45 minutes of hail yesterday, some were tennis ball size. Has been raining about 5 days straight. Drought Monitor has my county in extreme drought but it is so wet harvest has not started. That drought monitor usually portray a false picture. As far as wheat harvest, I have not heard of a bad report. Check out the link.

26-Jun-20
So does a good wheat harvest usually mean a good pheasant year or are there too many variables?

26-Jun-20
It helps but the timing of rains, hail and heat during peak hatch can be be devastating. I have seen better hatches in dry years vs wet years. A mild year as far as rain and heat goes and good habitat are the best recipe for a good hatch. Hopefully they don't allow any cutting of CRP this summer, it is green from here to Colorado.

27-Jun-20

writer's Link
UCS - Historically, so went the wheat crop so went the pheasant crop. A sizable percentage of Kansas hens nest in wheat, so lush wheat makes for good nesting and brood-rearing cover. A delayed harvest certainly helps. The Kansas biologist once told me that a delay of two weeks of harvest can up to double the population of chicks that make it. That's very general, of course.

The more habitat changes, and usually not in favor pheasants, the harder it is to get a good hatch and/or for those chicks to make it to fall. Also, the more localized populations will be.

If you take a look back at harvest numbers, one year we had the highest harvest in about 30 years. Two years later we had the lowest harvest in recorded history. the horrible drought of 2011 was in the middle.

Another key concern is the insect population, since pheasant, quail and turkey chicks/poults need a diet of over 90-percent insects the first couple of months.

As was stated, flooding or hail can negate the best of hatches. Three years ago places I hunt in Scott County, with habitat that had won local, state and national recognition from Pheasants Forever, were poised to be good again. The last day of one season four or us slid out and shot easy limits in about three hours the last day of the season and probably saw 150-200 birds. Three hail storms the following spring and it was back to 2012 populations, despite the post hail storm habitat work.

I've written and researched the pheasant population for, geez, this is the 40th year. There have been a lot of strange things happen. Two of Kansas worst seasons in the past were two of my best because of localized conditions.

My prediction for this year is there will be some good pockets, and some fair pockets...and some will disagree because they always seem to disagree.

27-Jun-20

writer's Link

27-Jun-20

writer's Link
Note the quote, 80 bushel wheat, 90 bushel pheasants. Still, the hunting was "good" at best the following fall.

27-Jun-20
"It’s been a tumultuous decade for the Kansas pheasant population. During the 2010-11 hunting season, hunters shot nearly 900,000 roosters, the highest in about 25 years. Then came successive years of drought, and with each a decrease in pheasant populations. The harvest of about 190,000 after the 2013-14 season is the lowest on record. Then the tide began to turn."

Read more here: https://www.kansas.com/article26982943.html#storylink=cpy

Granted, I'm quoting what I wrote back then but the numbers came from biologists.

27-Jun-20
What year was that 80 bushel article written

27-Jun-20
The conditions have looked good for the area I generally hunt. Fingers crossed!

27-Jun-20
You're wrong righter

27-Jun-20
Cherney - Either 2016 or 2017.

Kyle - we’ve known that for years. Silly facts and logic...and I only have hunted or fished in 101 counties.

27-Jun-20

be still's embedded Photo

27-Jun-20
I've encountered some young guys in their 20's and younger bragging about all the birds they've been getting into the last few years. After a short conversation I call BS because they simply were not in the field when it was really good and cannot compare today's numbers with an actual good year. In 2008 I shot a limit of 4 roosters without reloading from 1 corner of standing milo near Liberal. It was as good or better than South Dakota in 2005. I honestly do not think we will ever see the bird numbers we once had.

27-Jun-20
Lol maybe people need to stop being lazy and quit using dogs and use 22s instead of shotguns.

28-Jun-20
Jason, you’re probably right. Although I’ve had some incredible pheasant hunts in the past couple of years, with quick limits shot, and lots of birds seen. I will say that I refuse to believe that bird numbers will never be like they were in the past. Lots of things change over the years. But I’m a glass half full type of guy, too.

28-Jun-20
Are they not planting milo like they use to back in their the 70s and 80s use to see tons of milo fields

28-Jun-20
Western KS has a lot of milo but many refuse to plant it anymore in SC and SE KS. My farmer said he doesn't plant it anymore because "it's too hard on the soil" never heard that one before, but he's the biggest farmer in Greenwood County.

28-Jun-20
Milo does better in dry ground than beans so the guys out west seem more likely to plant it than central and eastern KS where beans are prevailing with better moisture. Milo uses lots of nitrogen which can be hard on ground if not rotated. It is also difficult to control JG with herbicides in milo as they are both grasses. It does a good job of breaking up compaction though. I see some milo locally but it's usually beans on better ground and if they do rotate to take advantage of nitrogen credits they go with corn.

28-Jun-20
Many quit milo because it was such a pain to get dry enough to avoid the dock. At one time KS was the no. one milo producing state.

28-Jun-20
With all the moisture we had last summer, many farmers went right back to wheat in the fall instead of waiting til the following May for milo. June has been wet so would not be surprised to see many go right back with wheat in Sept./Oct. They cut the wheat in my backyard last night and that field was pretty damp this morning.

One of the states on the rise for pheasant numbers is Iowa. The NW corner is holding good numbers. And no wheat!!!

28-Jun-20
Jason - the ranch I used to hunt on the Chase-Greenwood county line sure had a milo-quail correlation Maybe they were just pulling birds off neighboring ranches. Was never again like the 80s, but 10-12 years ago a milo field made the creek bottom worth hunting. That bottomland could go from two to six covey with a decent hatch and milo, but that's far from scientific.

Geez, Clip. Try this one. June starts with J.

29-Jun-20
That's the same thing I've noticed Writer. Milo will always hold more quail and corn is a close second. I'm looking forward to the late season mallards and quail at my place this year due to the corn crop. Last two years I've had beans and the quail didn't do much. .

29-Jun-20
I asked my granddad one time what kind of stuff they hunted in SEK back in the 60s. He said he remembered lots and lots of milo...

29-Jun-20
Thorton - beans don't offer much for quail. Supposedly they can have a mild toxin. As you've noticed though, any quail feeding in beans is in the wide-open and very vulnerable to predators. Hope your farmer doesn't turn the corn under after harvest.

29-Jun-20
I keep a close handle on my farmers. They'd be fired in short order if something like that happened.

30-Jun-20
I have read that the toxin in soybeans actually reduces the reproduction capacity in quail. If the average brood is 12 chicks when they do not feed on soybeans and say 8 chicks when they eat a lot of soybeans, it would not take very many years for the population to decrease substantially.

30-Jun-20
Is that something we could sue someone over? Is it a GMO trait to allow it to handle herbicide?

30-Jun-20
I had never heard of that (the soybean toxicity thing). Anybody have a link? I planted a small bean plot last year next to the house. E-fenced it and let ragweed grow up in it as well as beans. Had quail in there every day that I was around to notice. Best bird plot I've ever grown and that includes sorghums and millets. The bottom fields here are always beans and that's were you'll find the birds if you're hunting. Might be that there are no other choices though.

30-Jun-20
I have heard of the soybean problem and it is very evident on my farm. When I have corn, there are up to 36 birds on the place. With beans, there are about 24. These numbers vary a bit but it's about what I've seen over the last ten years

30-Jun-20

writer's Link

30-Jun-20
No wonder the quail have declined. Curious if the myotoxin would affect other game birds the same way?

30-Jun-20
Jason- It’s been mostly called a contributing factor. I’d assume so.

Again, a lot of the problem with beans is there’s no cover if traditionally planted. That’s why chickens like them so much. But,...

30-Jun-20
Thanks for the link! An accepted thesis is better sourcing than most I see.

So a diet of raw beans and T-2 toxins results in less eggs, smaller birth weights, and males who's testicles may not be great at making sperm. Good data, thanks again!

To concure with the lack of cover... I see quail in bean fields all the time which is not good. I shouldn't see them. Chickens on the other hand stand out like golden nuggets and are perfectly at home in the middle of a barren field. Wish we had more of them.

01-Jul-20
I drive up/down 177 from Manhattan to El Dorado (then 99 on down to Sedan) all the time. Every time there’s snow on the ground in the Flint Hills, I’ll see a few bunches of chickens in the bean fields during my travels. Always makes me smile.

01-Jul-20
Great link Writer, I also read a study that mentions beans will starve a pheasant to death over the winter.

01-Jul-20
Writer thanks for finding the study. I had read that soybeans had a negative effect on quail but had never seen actual evidence from a controlled study. This brings up the next question in my mind, Can soybeans also be a negative with Pheasants and Prairie Chickens?

01-Jul-20
And.. will they still eat beans if given a choice? For instance a buffer strip of sorghum could be planted around a bean field to offer alternative grain and cover, but does that mean they won't still eat the beans? I suspect they would but don't know.

01-Jul-20
Should mention there aren't a lot of studies out there on the subject, according to my very brief google search. There were a fair amount on poultry, but I didn't read any of them.

01-Jul-20
Geez, next you guys are going to tell me sunflowers are bad for doves.

01-Jul-20
Well, I've seen hundreds of dead doves in sunflower fields, so...

01-Jul-20
My favorite and past best pheasant spot has not been good for the last 5 years. Well they have planted beans on the quarter that borders for about 5 years. Not quail like there used to be either. Hmmm!!!!! I just happen to drive by there today and no beans this year. So lets see.

01-Jul-20
Now that you've mentioned it I've made the same observation... not a great survival rate for doves going to sunflower fields.

02-Jul-20
But oh what I’d give for about a 40 acre field of good old-fashioned summer fallow wheat that’s been left unsprayed.

02-Jul-20
I know a place like that. Just north of where we dove hunted that pond. Pretty good Pheasants there last year as well. However the adjacent Wiha sucked and they were all on the neighbors.

04-Jul-20
I realize this is a pheasant thread, but thought this might be related as we have had zero big rain events in Miami county so far this Spring.

On our walk this morning, Buddy kicked up at least 12 turkey poults big enough to fly into the trees. I saw I think 2 adult hens, but everything was moving really quick for my old eyes. Thought it was a good sign, at least I hope so!

04-Jul-20
That's a great sign, Frank.

Still, for some reason we had 6-8 hens in one of our ag fields and not a poult with them. Conditions should have been good for nesting and hatching. Starting to run low on birds.

05-Jul-20
The population of ring-necked pheasants (Phasianus colchicus) is decreasing all over since the years 2008/2009. Besides impacts of habitat changes caused by current rates of land conversion, climatic influences or predators, a contribution of infectious pathogens needs also to be considered. Infectious and non-infectious diseases in free-living populations of ring-necked pheasants have been scarcely investigated so far. In the present study, carcasses of 258 deceased free-ranging pheasants of different age groups, predominantly adult pheasants, collected over a period of 4 years in the state were examined pathomorphologically, parasitologically, virologically and bacteriologically, with a focus set on infectious pathogens. A periocular and perinasal dermatitis of unknown origin was present in 62.3% of the pheasants. Additional alterations included protozoal cysts in the skeletal musculature (19.0%), hepatitis (21.7%), enteritis (18.7%), gastritis (12.6%), and pneumonia (11.7%). In single cases, neoplasms (2.6%) and mycobacteriosis (1.7%) occurred. Further findings included identification of coronaviral DNA from trachea or caecal tonsils (16.8%), siadenoviral DNA (7.6%), avian metapneumoviral RNA (6.6%), and infectious bursal disease viral RNA (3.7%). Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) on herpesvirus, avian influenza virus (AIV), paramyxovirus type 1 (PMV-1), avian encephalomyelitis virus (AEV), and chlamydia were negative. Based on the present results, there is no indication of a specific pathogen as a sole cause for population decline in adult pheasants. However, an infectious disease can still not be completely excluded as it may only affect reproduction effectivity or a certain age group of pheasants (e.g., chicks) which were not presented in the study.

05-Jul-20
Matte....what source and “present study” was all this information copied from?

05-Jul-20
Do you think that an infectious disease would come from game bird breeders and shooting preserves? I know those game bird breeders fight influenza in their operations.

05-Jul-20
Come on, Matt, if you’re going to interrupt perfectly ridiculous Covid arguing, you need to have a verifiable source!

05-Jul-20

This young one is just hoping there is enough birds to get her started and get some practice in this winter.

05-Jul-20
She’s a beauty! Name?

05-Jul-20
Thank you....her name is Ella and she has quickly became the queen of the house. lol I think we have spoiled her too much already...she's definitely a handful.

05-Jul-20
Ella is a great looking dog!

06-Jul-20
Beautiful pup. Something about her stance just says... "rockstar"!

06-Jul-20
Sorry Writer, I was having fun on the fourth and the source was a German Beer. I probably just made all that stuff up right ;)

06-Jul-20
Works for me, Matt! Well, the beverage part.

06-Jul-20
Yeah Jason hopefully I can train her good enough to be a Rockstar on birds. She's definitely has a Rockstar bloodline in field trials but I'm very new to bird hunting and don't know much on bird dogs.

06-Jul-20
Lol and by the way I bought her from Kansas.

06-Jul-20
My brother sells shorthairs, did you get her from a fella in SE Kansas?

06-Jul-20
No she came from west of Wichita. Real nice guy and said if I didn't have time to train her that I could take her back up there and he could do that.

06-Jul-20
Very good, she's a good looking pup.

06-Jul-20
Looks like the pup might be “leggy” when she grows up. Hope it works that way.

06-Jul-20
Apparently I'm back to my childish way of stuttering. I keep getting two posts.

06-Jul-20
Looks like the pup might be “leggy” when she grows up. Hope it works that way.

06-Jul-20

NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
New addition.....

06-Jul-20
She's a good looking pup too.

07-Jul-20
NCK where did you find a female. I have been looking for a female for awhile now.

07-Jul-20
Unfortunately for HIM it is small but it is there:^) Got him in Iowa.

07-Jul-20
isee

08-Jul-20
Matt, did you ever check with Deb at Ringneck Ranch?

08-Jul-20
No not yet. Do you have any contact information?

09-Jul-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Saw this bunch of youngn's this morning just N of the Anthony lake, I counted 8. Not a very good picture...sorry...kinda

09-Jul-20
Good thing that gigantic white hail stone from this morning's storms missed.....almost killed the whole bunch!

09-Jul-20
That made me L...not lol...but definitely L

10-Jul-20
Good to see!

10-Jul-20
8?! That seems like a bunch. Hopefully there’s about 10k more like that.

24-Jul-20
Well drive by my Sw Kansas spots twice in the evening. Didn't see a bird where usually I might see 20+

24-Jul-20
Matte, sorry to hear that! There are no pheasants in my area, but we continue to see more turkey poults than we have in a long time! No big rains here yet, and we really need one now. I assume the birds could make it at this point if we did get one. Just two hours away and there have been some heavy rains, but still seeing poults there as well. Sure is strange the ups and downs and what is the cause.

24-Jul-20
Still dry over much of SW Kansas?

24-Jul-20

Matte saw your post on another forum.

Has SW KS lost a bunch of WIHA? Didn't make it home last year to Liberal but the year prior a few of pieces I'd hunted all my life were gone.

24-Jul-20
Lost CRP. I was driving the roads last night and many of the CRP fields that were WIHA are full of cattle. They are still WIHA, at least the signs are still up, but you will have to wade through the cattle if you can find a blade of grass left. Not a good thing. I would say I saw a 1000 acres or so on my 80 mile round trip drive that got pulled out of crp.

24-Jul-20
My brother still lives there and works the natural gas lines. Said it was looking really good. Than the hail and now drought. Hasn't been seeing much for birds lately.

The weather story though seems to be the on repeat every year.

24-Jul-20
Jeff,

In MO, the CRP that came out this year over 93% of it was re-enrolled. I have read there is less being authorized nationwide, but the LOs taking it out in my area did so on their own for crops. Are the pastures worth more, I didn't think hay or beef prices moved up too much but with the packing houses being hit by covid maybe I just haven't kept a close enough watch. Food prices are definitely up so I assumed land was being put into a better money maker?

24-Jul-20
Hearing encouraging reports from the guys on the pheasant hunting forum. I’m seeing/hearing lots of quail here in southeast Kansas.

24-Jul-20
Writer,

It was dry for a long period of time in June. There have been a few good rains recently. Put it this way I never had to clean bugs off the windshield after 1000 miles of dirt roads and hwy travel. Slept under the stars near Two Buttes with no tent and didn't have any issues with flys or Mosquitoes.

24-Jul-20
Wife took the pup to Iowa visting Family....My BIL raises a few quail and wanted to test the 4 month Brit out.....looks good

25-Jul-20
That is a good looking Brit. I know you said you got her in Iowa, mind sharing who in Iowa? Thinking I may get a Brit for my next dog. Thanks

25-Jul-20
Dang, Matt. No bugs is no good for birds. Stacy hasn’t seen a lot, but the further east you go the better.

Here’s hoping!

25-Jul-20

NCK's Link
It's a male....going to be a big one which I like probly 45 pounds 30 pounds now. My BIL had gotten a dog from these people and it is great. This pup is showing a good amount of natural talent. If I hunt him hard I think he will turn out.

25-Jul-20
Writer you picked up on the bugs which is a big concern for me. Time will tell come November. I'm thinking east of that area as well and maybe a bit north. Need to talk about Fly fishing in the Flint Hills sometime with you. That last trip to Colorado has me pretty fired up again and since I broke my Fly rod I have to break in new equipment.

25-Jul-20
I love fly fishing a crystal clear Flint Hills stream. This time of year, anything that looks like a yellow grasshopper will catch bluegill and bass

26-Jul-20
NCK, thanks for the info and link. If you hunt him this winter I'd be interested to hear how he does. I've always ran shorthairs, thinking I may try something different this go around. Thanks again

26-Jul-20
Thorton, hopper on top, crawdad on the bottom and it’s fish on. Miss access to fishing Thurman Creek, but love having had that experience.

Matt- more than happy to visit about it and share what I know. Plan on hitting a creek or tubing a watershed tomorrow evening.

26-Jul-20
You ever hear of the Ivanpah Creek Writer? One of a kind and only a few miles long. So clear, we'd look down from a high bank, and if we didn't see any fish big enough, we'd go on down to another spot. Only place I've ever had 5 lb channel cat take an unweighted, live grasshopper off the top of the water. Downstream where it joins the west branch of Fall River, wed wade out chest deep and set lines. Never caught anything over 7 lbs, but sometimes a nice bass or flathead would nail the bluegill before you were out of sight. There's a giant livetrap still on a high bank rusting away where Kenneth Olsen placed it shortly before he died when I was 13. He was trying to catch the mountain lion we had all seen that summer and fall. 70 some years of living and ranching those hills, killing coyotes and Bobcats, he knew what kind of cat it was.

26-Jul-20
Heard of the creek, never seen it.

Heard of a lot of people setting traps for big cays, none ever caught in Kansas.

Friend in NM used to run a long line for coyotes and bobcats when fur was gold. He’d catch a couple of big cats every year. It was up to the rancher, what happened to the cat.

27-Jul-20
You want to take an interesting trip writer, take the Salyards road off of 54 highway and go North about 8 miles through the flint hills, you will run into the Ivanpaw creek. Salyards road is about 3 miles east of Rosalia ks. Sure shot my fair share of Prairie Chickens in that area, back when there was one. After all, it was close to the Prairie Chicken Capital of the world. :) Never fished Ivanpaw creek Jason, was almost always dry cept for the pot holes. Jason, back when I was younger and stupider, my wife and I would fly down the middle of Otis Creek Reservoir, north to south about 4 ft. off the water and have to go up to clear the damn. In my Kr2 experimental home built, fast little bugger. Anyway, are you still taking flying lessons? If you are, I use to own a 1957 tri pacer 4 place airplane, and sold it to Dusty Booth who lives up North of Eureka on west branch. I was told he wanted to sell it, if you finish lessons, it would be a great buy. I bought it for $12,000 in Fort (Pain) Payne Alabama and flew it back, owned it for 4 years and sold it to Dusty. He put a new engine in it so it would be higher price now. Just a heads up, if you were interested. Great flyer.

27-Jul-20
Chief, when life comes back. I’d like to come down and get a long tour of your area with you. Of course we’d have to stop every couple of minutes to empty old bladders. Didn’t know you were a pilot, and of such aircraft.

Having met your brother, it kinda makes sense. :-)

27-Jul-20
I would just get us lost. :-) "The KR2 experimental home built," I didn't build it, I bought it from a guy in Topeka that built it from plans. It was a show winner, a real beauty. It was a hand operated mechanical retract landing gear, tail dragger at the time, and squirrely as hell on the ground, dancing on the rudder pedals all the time just to keep it on the runway. Hated that part of it. We took that gear off and in a 6 months retrofit, the airport manager in Eureka and I, we made a fixed gear nose wheel out of it. Made a real nice 2 seat flyer, cruise 160. I sold it to a pilot from Salina. He wanted it to fly back and forth to duty at offutt air base in Omaha. He sold it to a guy in Marion, ks. who still owns it, and he flys it down to Emporia on occasion, so I can pet it a little. Yes, brother has all the MacGyver genes', none of that rubbed off on me, I was just barely smart enough to learn to fly, let alone build one. I had to quit flying, taking to many drugs to pass physical now. :( I had a powered parachute, flew it for a couple of years, then I got the chute lines tangled (my fault) and rolled it 3 times on take off, tore it up and me too, so wife said enough is enough. Now I just sky dive every Sunday. Just kidding, why jump out of a perfectly good airplane, right?

27-Jul-20
NCK Nice looking pup. I have a female that looks just like him. Mine only weighs 36 pounds as a 7 year old. KS boy: my favorite two dogs are Shorthairs and Brittanys. My previous dog was a female Shorthair. She was probably the best dog I have ever owned. Unfortunately, she died when she was 7. It was two weeks after the end of bird season. I got my current Brittany a week later. She does not have a high pedigree, but has become a very good hunter and pet. She is getting close to being as good as the Shorthair for whom she took over. In my opinion nothing creates a good hunting dog more than hunting as often as possible.

27-Jul-20
Small world Chief. I've shot a lot of deer in that high country. Back in 01', I shot a 6x6 that probably would have went 190"s near Salyards. He , made it to the neighbor who I am certain found him. I see very few chickens up there these days. One last year while deer hunting to be exact. I know exactly where Dusty lives and I decided several years ago the Tri-Pacer or Pacer were probably the only planes that would fit my budget and needs. I am still flying but finding time to do so is becoming increasingly hard due to running my mowing business and working ER. I will probably finish this fall when it is cooler and I can also use the plane to scout. Ivanpah does dry up in areas from time to time ,but the watershed at the Buckley Ranch and the old Glen Kirk ranch restocks it real fast when it runs over. Otis Creek on the 777 Ranch is excellent fishing and near impossible to gain access on. Bob Buford sold 777 some years back for $35 million. Don LeVieux used to write an outdoor column and he fought to have Otis Creek Reservoir open to the public since it was gov't funded to be built. He said it was deep and cold enough to have pike and trout stocked in it.

27-Jul-20
Jason, I've been told 70 ft deepest part at normal pool. Went fishing there one time with the then Sheriff Charley Samuels. As far as I know he is the only person that ever had permission. Good thing it has stayed closed to the public, humans just ruin a beautiful piece of earth. Stick with the lessons, you won't regret it.

27-Jul-20
I got to visit it several times as a kid. My friend's dad was the foreman of the ranch until Buford went to managing wild horses instead of cattle. A guy named Traci King had permission to hunt it in the 1980's until he was paralyzed from a highway dept. accident. He managed to kill a 180"s class buck off the ranch with a bow.

27-Jul-20

NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
NCK's embedded Photo
"If you hunt him this winter I'd be interested to hear how he does."

He is going to get hunt hard this year. Besides here I always go to Montana for a mixed bag of Pheasants, Huns, and Sharp tail with Huns being my favorite. I will let you know how he progresses.

"In my opinion nothing creates a good hunting dog more than hunting as often as possible."

100%!!!!!!

27-Jul-20
You ever hunt Idaho? We'll be out there late October

28-Jul-20
That English setter is pretty on point.

28-Jul-20
"You ever hunt Idaho?" I have not. I have heard that it is pretty good in some locations.

"That English setter is pretty on point."

Sure is....not my dog but great to watch that tail rise up like a flag. That tree in the back ground is in Saskatchewan and the dog is in Montana.

05-Sep-20
Just spent four days out and about in the parts of Scott, Lane, Logan and Gove counties that meet. Saw two broods and 10-12 adult birds - total. May have seen more quail. Locals paint a pretty bleak picture, but word is there are birds not too much further east.

Buddies from Cimarron, Ingalls and Rolla aren't too optimistic.

Friends in central part of the state have good reports for pheasant and quail.

05-Sep-20
I saw a group of 20+ poults about 10mi S of Argonia last weekend. They weren't there this morning, but that's more pheasants than I've seen in that area in...well...forever.

Was hoping with the lack of heavy rain/hail this Summer it would be similar elsewhere.

05-Sep-20
Have heard mostly good reports so far. I’m optimistic for this season.

06-Sep-20
I’m out here around Greensburg now. Was hoping to drive the roads yesterday evening but didn’t get a chance to. I’ve heard some good things about this area. Maybe I’ll see some this morning....

07-Sep-20
For some reason, I had stopped following this thread, but went back and read the whole thing this morning. Especially loved the part about Ivanpaw Creek. My dad grew up on the west branch and Ivanpaw area. Think one of my aunts actually lived on Ivanpaw and unless the cousins have sold it in the last couple of years, still own a few hundred acres out there.

Will never forget, on one of our tours around the various ponds, my uncle come up on a new fence that someone had the gall to put in. It split one of the bigger pastures into four sections and I mean at least full sections.

Anyhow, Thornton, Writer, thanks for bringing those comments back to life for me!

07-Sep-20
Dismal at best for the parts i jist spend a few days and in SwK

07-Sep-20
I've noticed the quail have mostly stopped their frequent calling as they often do after the youngin's hatch. Pulled in the farm a while back and 6 little ones and 2 parents were happily taking a dust bath. The youngin's flew off and the hen ran all the way down the drive a few hundred yards and then flew off into the corn. Seemed like she was trying to lure me the opposite direction like doves do. Only pheasant I've seen was dead on the highway out by Garden City.

07-Sep-20
Took a morning drive yesterday. Saw a few roosters and several about twice the size of a quail in the road. About a 5 mile stretch. Landowner said things look pretty good. Some localized hail.

08-Sep-20
It wasn't the hail that hurt the hatch it was the storm that hit the first week of June that dropped temps into the upper 40's. Any chicks that hatched at that time perished. If they were a week or so old they may have made it but day old chicks did not survive. It rained 3-5 inches with 60 mph winds. Wind chills were in the 20's and 30's that night.

08-Sep-20
I think you mean to say in NW Kansas right Jeff? I mean obviously that wasn't the case state wide...we didn't get that cold here in SC.

08-Sep-20
No it was from Great Bend on west. Dang near half of the state. I am in Rush County and it was 49 degree's when I got up at 5:30 a.m. And it extended on south.

08-Sep-20
Ok, well tonight will surely be another test on a bunch of flora/fauna I reckon.

08-Sep-20
Yea I was looking forward to the cool down and now it is looking like it is going to stall out just west of me. Still nice, but not October nice.

08-Sep-20
Snow flakes here this morning.

08-Sep-20
I spent several days hunting doves in western Ness county. Pheasant numbers basis what I saw ( didn’t see) are very poor, again.

08-Sep-20
Dale we didn't see any birds around either. Not one deer as well.

08-Sep-20
Matte, I saw several does. I suspect that there’s a few deer hanging out in the many corn and milo fields. It’s been a wet year and vegetation is taller than normal, helping hide the deer. Harvest in 30-60 days will knock down a lot of that cover.

25-Sep-20
Took the round trip drive to go get mom. Last three trips not a single pheasant in the ditches where i use to see the often.

25-Sep-20
SW Kansas seems pretty bleak, overall.

27-Sep-20
My brother made a trip out west looking for mule deer. He said not enough crops cut yet to get the deer out of the fields. But said he seen an "ungodly" amount of pheasants

16-Oct-20
I’ve seen more pheasant on my farms this year than ever before. You should have a stellar year.

16-Oct-20
Bowlife88, where is your farm? Not asking for exact location, just near what town. I have a section 45 miles north of Dodge City. It’s in CRP grass with multiple milo food plots. It is great habitat. Brother farms across the road and is seeing no birds. We had a major hail storm mid June. Believe it killed most of the pheasants.

17-Oct-20
All of my farms are in NW Kansas.

17-Oct-20
NC Kansas Im seeing more birds than I have in years. Not like 15-20 years age but still much better than the past few. Had a farmer tell me he got birds up in every field he cut. In the past few years you might not see a bird.

17-Oct-20
Thanks bowlife. Glad someone is seeing some pheasants.

17-Oct-20
Quite a few bobwhites also. I keep all my corners untouched and strips on certain crops just for the pheasant and quail though.

17-Oct-20
If we would not have had that cold storm in early June, we would be sitting on a lot of birds. That storm hurt. Other than that, we had perfect conditions. Adequate rain, no cold spells, not much hail, etc. That one damn night.

17-Oct-20
Saw a ton of pheasants and quail today in the SW corner of the state. I don't know normal here, but it was sure nice to see birds everywhere.

18-Oct-20
Stepped on a big covey walking to the tree stand yesterday evening, damn near needed a change of shorts after that.

08-Nov-20
I have seen more birds this year than I have seen in several years in NC part of Kansas.

09-Nov-20
Took my 12 year old son and his best friend out for youth. Walked the first field and seen one hen and one rooster. This is a field I typically see quite a few. Moved 20 miles or so and hit one more field that was really good! Put up probably 50 birds, half being roosters. My son harvested is first wild rooster, over my dogs point too! He also shot a doe Friday evening with a crossbow, first crossbow kill too. Was a good weekend for us. Now ready to roll next weekend. Stay safe and good luck to everyone.

09-Nov-20
Headed that way on Friday. Landowner seeing a lot but did say it was spotty as usual. Looking forward to it. Always seeing the kids get those roosters!

09-Nov-20
Took my boys out on Saturday. Wind was HORRIBLE, so only hit two spots. Jumped 11 roosters, 1 hen and huge covey of quail. Didn't get any, but had fun.

09-Nov-20
Our group will be out around Leoti for the opener. Saw quite a few birds chasing Pronghorn, hope we can get into them!

16-Nov-20
I hunted the opener 45 miles north of Dodge City. It was very poor. Six of us shot three roosters and four quail. Saw a couple other roosters and five hens. Where we hunt used to be phenomenal, but the last eight or so years very poor.

16-Nov-20
Lack of CRP is sure becoming noticeable. We had a good weekend. Saw more than we’ve seen in a long time.

16-Nov-20
Heard mostly good reports from opening weekend. I’m going out next weekend to see for myself.

16-Nov-20
Reports from which part of the state Kyler, makes a difference

16-Nov-20

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
We shot 5 on day two, but for me it was more about the tradition and the group of folks that came along. Lost our spot last year, and it was the first in over 40 that we didn't get together...that won't happen again if I'm breathing.

17-Nov-20
NW and NC. I suspect they fared better, opposed to the SW with the drought. Most guys on the pheasant forum did well, despite the weather, and think bird numbers are up in those areas.

17-Nov-20

Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Ucsdryder's embedded Photo
Made it out today to some private around Oakley. Last year the same field (wheat) produced 30-40 birds, this year I didn’t see a bird (corn). I couldn’t believe how dry it was. I found one small gully with some natural cover and put up 4 birds. I knocked down a rooster and figured i would call it a day. The old lady did great. With a new GSP pup on its way, it’s fun to get her out a few more time.

• Sitka Gear