Doug 03-Jul-20
Reggiezpop 08-Sep-20
Tonybear61 29-Sep-20
Boone 30-Sep-20
Glunker 30-Sep-20
Gusto 30-Sep-20
Thunderhawk 01-Oct-20
02-Jul-20
Question for the guys who use individual climbing sticks. I see hawk has 20 inch sticks in a 4 pack at midway USA for $100. I have always used the ladder type sticks that slide together and not the individual sticks. I can get 20 foot in the ladder type but can 4 sticks at 20 inches get you very high???

02-Jul-20
It all depends on how comfortable you are between sticks. I use 3 of the Hawk Helium 30” sticks. The bottom stick i place higher than I can reach, but have a rope looped around the bottom to get up to it. I haven’t measured how far up I get, but it’s high enough for me. A lot of hunters shoot for 20’ or more in a tree. I’ll take 14’ and a bunch of branches around me all day and night. They are cheap enough where you should just buy them and start climbing. Let us know how it turns out.

02-Jul-20

Nocturnal II's Link
Fast forward to 2:12. I'd reccomend an aider. 4 sticks plus an aider on each should get you close to 20. Depending on your spacing abilities.

02-Jul-20
Or some use a single aider as well. Just realized the guy in the video link above did so. That is up to the hunter. I prefer one on each. But that style is okay. Wouldnt be good if he dropped it in between.

02-Jul-20
Or if you want to go an even better way. I have been using spurs. The dnr officer I talked to said that he is okay with it. One of the other county officers said absolutely not. I guess it depends on who you talk to.

Spurs leave less damage that most climbing sticks, but that is only hunting out of the tree once. Repeated use of the same tree would be a problem.

02-Jul-20
If you are used to the stack together steps (ladder) you might not be real comfortable with steps and the "aider". Those are used by the ultra lightweight portable hunters. The steps are nice as they fit odd shaped trees and are far easier to carry into the woods.

If you are not doing the "lightweight portable" hunting thing I wouldn`t blow big dough on high end sticks. I have piles of cheaper ones that work just as well if they are semi- permanent for multiple sits hunting.

Speaking of "spurs".....has anyone seen these spurs that are on Pinterest? They are a 4 point contact spur and the guy climbs around the tree like a damn spider. Wonder if anyone has seen or tried these.

02-Jul-20
Franklin I am gonna take these on some public land this year to make it easy to take in and out. Might just get comfortable without the aider and just get up as high as possible before going this direction. I also drew zone 4 in Iowa and wanted this if I need to move a setup quickly and quietly. The ladder type is definitely nice but loud and cumbersome to carry

02-Jul-20
A few years ago, a young man I know, was told flat out, by the LE who works the Ottawa NF, spurs, climbing spikes etc, were not legal. So when in doubt, check with the local laws.

I think that is good price, but they are not light enough for me. still for the money,,, Beast sticks are the best, in my opinion, but they are not cheap

02-Jul-20
Check out the Shikar from Out on Limb manufacturing

I have Beast sticks and they are good but be careful around them, the standoffs are SHARP

02-Jul-20
My spurs are lighter than any climbing stick available today. Height has no limit for me. I have spured to 50+ feet too. Check your local game warden.

02-Jul-20
Ground hunter. According to the websites the hawk helium weight in at 2.4 pounds each and your recommendation of hunting beast weight in at 2.2 and the beast are 80 a piece while I can get 4 hawk for 100. You think the websites are off on there weights ?

02-Jul-20
NO then the hawk is a good deal. When I dealt with their products, they had weight. things change,,,, not much of a difference then.

02-Jul-20
I'm pretty sure the heliums get their weight without the strap and buckle. Not that that weighs a lot.

03-Jul-20
Just get two sets. The individual sticks negotiate trees a lot nicer and are quieter. I do not recommend the gap between sets farthest then the steps them selves on. Over the years the money is not worth the struggle and setting them up in summer in shorts is different then climbing in full gear at night.

03-Jul-20

08-Sep-20
I just ordered another set of the Hawk Helium sticks a few days ago. I like that new version has the versa buttons, so I don’t have to make that mod. They also come with suction cups to keep them together.

29-Sep-20
You can get many types of leg irons (spurs) from Bartlett. This tree climbing method has been around since 1880s. Buy a pair you will likely be able to give to your grandkids. I have two pait, 1 steel one aluminum. Contrary to beliefs I know they can be used on some of the same trees for years, bark just reseals after season. Alot better than some screw or nail going deep into the wood core.

30-Sep-20
After finding some saddlehunter forums where they try to cut down on ounces they get Amsteel rope and go with the buckleless method which I tried and really like compared to using the buckle that comes with the sticks

30-Sep-20
Best sticks I have found are the rivers edge. Both price and function.

30-Sep-20
I have Beast sticks with the Amsteel mod. Three of them weight less than 6 lbs. I also use a versa aider with them so I can get away with 3 sticks

01-Oct-20
I am an old man,,,I use 2 xop sticks, and that's good enough

• Sitka Gear