Thunderflight 06-Oct-20
Mad Trapper 13-Oct-20
stick n string 13-Oct-20
Red Beastmaster 13-Oct-20
stick n string 14-Oct-20
23-Jul-20
Who all is headed West this year?

Im headed to Idaho in September.

I didnt think this trip was gonna happen. NR elk and deer tags sold out in June so I thought I was out of luck. However Monday I found out that their Junior Mentored/Disabled Veteran tags are not part of that allocation.

If you are a 40% or higher DAV then you qualify even as a NR. The license and tags are also significantly less money.

Im pretty stoked!

23-Jul-20
Great that you got a tag. I'm heading out to Wyoming on 9/12 to the 9/26 I hope?? Been looking at flights and there very limited. Can get one a 7am and arrive in laramie at 11pm. Long day. I get picked up by a friend that only has a 12 hour drive. Cheyenne airport closed do to C19. May book in the next week or so, but hate if it get cancelled. I then would have a 1100 mile drive to his house. Not fun anymore, driving by myself. I made the trip a few times by myself and it's a killer on the way home.

24-Jul-20
That’s pretty COOL they do that for Vets, Chuck- glad to hear it!

I’m hoping to go West this Fall to hunt PA elk! ;-)

Don’t worry about it Ed- If you can’t FLY, just drive to Kutztown this September! : )

27-Jul-20
teeton, you're right, the drive is brutal, i haven't done it solo, couldn't imagine that..

I have been out twice archery elk hunting unsuccessful in wyo and montana.. Can't wait to be back out again in the mountains..

The drive out is o.k., but coming back is a bitch

29-Jul-20
Leaving early Saturday Aug 29th. Heading to Colorado, solo. Arrive late the 30th. Set up truck camp. Acclimate a bit for 2-3 days and give it hell till the 12th.

08-Aug-20

huntinelk's embedded Photo
Driving home solo from a successful tule elk hunt in California. Alot of seat time, but it's another experience added to the list...

10-Aug-20
Southwest usually has a really cheap direct flight from Philly to Denver.

10-Aug-20

griz's embedded Photo
griz's embedded Photo
In 2016 I drew Unit 7 in Wyoming after putting in for 7 years. I gained access to a ranch through a buddy and hunted solo. Left SE PA on a Sunday morning, stopped in Elkhart IN for the night. Drove through to Torrington WY the next day. 26 hours to there. Shot this bull the first morning and picked up my meat in Douglas on Friday morning. I hit RT 80 in Cheyenne at noon and pulled in my driveway at 9:00 pm Saturday night. I drove 31 straight hours on an epic journey home that will last with me forever. Every time I got bored, I just looked in the rear view.

10-Aug-20

griz's embedded Photo
Getting gas in Nebraska.
griz's embedded Photo
Getting gas in Nebraska.

10-Aug-20
The theme turned out to be "7"s. Main frame 7x7 with 3 additional points made it a 9x8. I also shot him 7 minutes after legal shooting time. Scored 363

11-Aug-20
Nothing like Efficiency!

14-Aug-20
Postponed AK trip until next year.. :(

Teeton better get some more hikes in... I saw him this past weekend from a distance and he was breathing awfully hard!! :)

14-Aug-20
griz, congrats on the hunt man!! Thats really neat... i want to get an elk soooo bad...

congrats!

14-Aug-20
Hey Gene, how about a picture of that Tule while the rest of us are waiting for the season to open

15-Aug-20

Here you go

15-Aug-20
Wow, that's nice, congratulations!

20-Aug-20
Hunthewind, Where were you hiding ?

20-Aug-20
Looks like you have a STALKER, Ed! ;-)

Nice Elk Chris and Gene! One of these years...……………………..

20-Aug-20
Hey Ed. Well not totally true.... I saw your vehicle in the lot but didn't actually see you on the hill.. :) . Good luck on your elk hunt.

21-Aug-20
Griz that is awesome! 27 days to go!!

25-Aug-20
Tanks Brad. Leave 9,12 to hunt elk in Wyoming.. You got plans this year ? Ed

08-Sep-20
Postponed AK trip until next year. FLight service we booked with gave us the option so decided to take it.

Headed to central PA elk the first week of Nov. Friend's dad drew a bull tag.

09-Sep-20
Nice one Griz. Nice seeing you coming off the 9th St bridge in Ocean City, NJ few weeks back. Let me know when you go back, I'm there every weekend in the summer.

Bob

06-Oct-20
This years trip was by far the most incredible elk hunt I have ever been on.

For 9 days we called elk into bow range. Bad thing is we either got winded, missed, or hit one and couldnt find it.

I missed a small 5x5. I thought he was 50 when he was really 40.

I also hit a yearling calf on the last hour of the last hunt. It darn near walked into my lap. When it saw me it took off, I cow called, it stopped, I shot, and hit low in the back ribcage, like really low, . 50 yards into tracking we saw it walking away slowly. We backed out and came back the next morning. 100 yards later the blood trail stopped. We grid searched for 2 hrs and couldnt fins a trace of it. It also never bedded down. It sucks, i feel bad, but it is what it is.

Regardless it was a great trip, hunting with friends, being in the mountains, bugles galore, and seeing elk everyday.

13-Oct-20
Has anybody heard of any PA bow killed elk this year?

13-Oct-20
Yes, a guy from my hometown drew a tag n killed a cow with a bow. Sounds like he came into the bow shop i work part time at before his trip to help get some things or get set up for it. He brought in a couple pictures for us to hang on the harvest board the one night i was working. Pretty cool deal

13-Oct-20
My coworker killed a PA cow with his bow. Maybe same guy? Somerset area, name is Mike.

14-Oct-20
I dont think Red, this guy is in cumberland county

• Sitka Gear