Rut Nut 18-Sep-20
hawkeye in PA 18-Sep-20
Rut Nut 18-Sep-20
hawkeye in PA 18-Sep-20
hawkeye in PA 19-Sep-20
Brad Gehman 20-Sep-20
Rut Nut 21-Sep-20
28-Jul-20
So I get a text from my wife this morning: "I MAY HAVE GIVEN YOU AN OLD CHECK FROM A CLOSED ACCOUNT FOR YOUR DOE LICENSE" WHAT????!!!!!! I immediately go into panic mode! We do almost all our bill paying online or by debit/credit card so rarely need a check for anything. Apparently she was cleaning out one of her drawers and the old checks got mixed in with the new. So after calling the county treasurer, my wife is headed down to the administration building to deliver $26.90 in cash! ($20 for returned check fee). SO glad I sent for the first one in my home county(which is about 8 miles from my house), otherwise my wife would have been on the road all day trying to get this straightened out! ;-)

I just get so disgusted when I think about how EASY the system COULD be! : (

28-Jul-20
I'm with you. I bet 20% of the checks I wrote last year said "County Treasurer". I paid a month worth of bills last night and never wrote a check.

I would miss the pink envelopes though...

28-Jul-20
Bought my license on monday last week, online, Printed a doe app out then got my doe app In the mail on tuesday, my tag got approved already. Seems like every year somebody has an issue. Not me. Couldnt be easier. Got my lic and book in the mail today, filled out the yellow antlerless app and got it ready for mail For bonus app. Easypeasy

28-Jul-20
"I just get so disgusted when I think about how EASY the system COULD be! : ("

"Couldnt be easier."

Actually...........it could be alot easier. The year was 2002. I bought my West Virginia hunting license online, additional buck tag and a doe tag AND printed them out. Took all of 5 minutes. No of this bravo sierra of buying online and getting it in the mail. This was 2002. West Virginia. PGC licensing system was passed by WV almost twenty years ago. I mean West Virginia!!!

28-Jul-20
Really.... It took me all of 10 minutes to log on, get all my tags plus a try at an elk, find the doe app, print it out. Another 5 to 7 minutes to put on 2 sticky stamps on the pink envelope fill out 2 addresses. It took me all of 3 seconds from slowing down to 10 mph to stop and slide my doe app in the mailbox.

After receiving my lic and book today, it took 3 minutes to sign my name to my licenses, another 3 to fill out pink envelope- I already knew Where the Love stamps were located.

How in the Hayl do guys bowhunt when they cant spend 20 MINUTES on writing their OWN NAME AND ADDRESS??? LOLOLOL Have the neighborhood 3rd grade kid do it!

28-Jul-20
What this guy says^^^^

29-Jul-20
See the part about purchasing a licnese online, dropping off the applications in the mail, to the county treasurer no less, then waiting a week for everything to arrive in the mail.

It's the very definition of an obsolete, archaic system.

29-Jul-20
Dale, JFYI todays teenagers can no longer fill out the form, they don't teach writing in school anymore. I have to write out my grandsons names and have them copy it. And their printing skills also lack. Ridiculous!

29-Jul-20
Rut,

Help me understand how it's the PGC's fault that your old checks got mixed in with the new checks? Asking for a friend. :)

29-Jul-20
Sounds to me like Rut is saying it was his wife's fault.

Every state has little quirks in their system. PA is not unique in that regard. Odd add on stamps, weird timing for different products, hold your money, etc. Ours is the pink envelopes. As long as I get the tags I'm after, the hoops I must jump through don't bother me. My doe tag was awarded 7/14.

29-Jul-20
Dale's just annoyed about that "old geezer" comment I made on the e-bike thread! ;-)

Bob- never said it was the PGC's fault. I just said it is a stupid system! ;-)

AMEN Bowbender! Just ridiculous that they(PGC) spent so much time, energy and money on updating their system, but can't go the extra step to make it a TRUE Point Of Sale system. And before anyone points it out, I know it's up to the legislature to get the County Treasurers out of the equation.

And as Bowbender pointed out...……………………………...it's pretty bad when your state makes West Virginia look like a technological marvel! ;-)

29-Jul-20
You have friends?

29-Jul-20
If a person cant be patient about taking 20 minutes To fill out some paperwork 3 MONTHS before its even needed? How can that person sit on a buck at 30 yards for 1 hour??? No wonder we have have so many wounded deer..... that and Rage bheads

29-Jul-20
LOL! But it's only 57 days til the 5C Hunt Dale! : )

29-Jul-20
Perry the Ole geezer Comment didnt bother me. I can Still use my truck.

29-Jul-20
I know, just bustin' your chops...…………………….. : )

29-Jul-20
"If a person cant be patient about taking 20 minutes To fill out some paperwork 3 MONTHS before its even needed?"

Nothing to do with patience, no matter how hard you want it to be. It's supposed to POS. Well, it IS POS, but not Point of Sale. This past spring, I'm working from home, son is doing school from home. First thing in the morning he says, my work is done lets go fishing. Kinseys ain't open yet. Logged on, bought my license, printed it out. Done in 5 minutes. Thought may as well get my kayak launch permits. Boom. Done. It's called effeciency.

Think about it. No mailing costs. No priniting costs. Hell, if western states can run on-line licensing, points and draws for limited entry units, we should be able to purchase and print our licenses.

'course....theres still some that like to shuffle down to the post office, climb into their F100, with a three in the tree manual, drum brakes all the way around, carbeurated engine, have to set the timing, etc..... all whilst scratching their hairy a$$ and complaining about progress.

29-Jul-20
LOL! Bowbender with the mic drop! ;-)

29-Jul-20

Dale Hajas's embedded Photo
Well.... you forgot the original 59 Kodiak and Bear Greenies I use. From the ground now that I cant climb, the only crutches I have to use are for walking, no crossbow, no treestand, no carboonies, no expanddumbles or releases aids. Best of all..... NO 3rd grade girls to fill out my deer apps! sssssssssssssSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSBOOM!

29-Jul-20
Next thing you know, someone will be boo hooing about me using the internet! Just watch!

29-Jul-20
Irony. Posting on the interweb, with either a computer or a mobile device defending a system that’s a anachronism from the pre-interweb days.

29-Jul-20
SEE!! :)

29-Jul-20
Boo hooing about using the internet? Nope. Just pointing out the irony of using the 'net to defend a system that was archaic 20 years ago. Pay bills online? Or do you pay online and ask them to snail mail you a receipt?

29-Jul-20
Geeze Dale you're sure proud of yourself and all those licenses and tags you got all by yourself! I can see you now.............riding your E-bike down the trail, chest all puffed out, sack lunch in your sissy pants bike basket, whistling a snappy tune, with a big wad of tags in your pack. My gosh man what has become of you?!!!!

P.S. you know those old arrows are going to blow up as soon as you release.

30-Jul-20
Who you trying to bs, Dale? That stuff's all for show. Half the feathers are missing and the others are so bug eaten and rotted, one shot and POOF, they're gone in cloud of dust. It's not good to breathe that stuff ya know. You should wear a mask if you ever do decide to shoot them. Dust masks save lives, and BLM, bowhunter's lives matter.

30-Jul-20

30 yds through a pine tree. I Jumped the release Because I was edgy over my doe apps that Ill need in 3 months xoxoxo
30 yds through a pine tree. I Jumped the release Because I was edgy over my doe apps that Ill need in 3 months xoxoxo
No Ebike if I cant use it. Ill just drive my truck up into the mountain. Pesky permits.....Ill make sure not to do figure 8’s as I leave the pristine meadow. Plus at some point I must put 4 tires of the same size on it then an actual exhaust system:) Hayl Beastman you'd love my truck as it is! Its got Maple City all over it! No spittle on the passenger door though. It does need a headlight. lol

Jeff That pic was before I replaced the feathers. It took a while for me to scrape off the old glued fletchings. Didn't want to mar the original cresting. I taped the new ones on.

Heres a pic of my hunting gear this year. Those arrows were shot For the first time ever since being purchased in 1959/1960- last night. They were paired with the ‘59 together when purchased.

Should I luck into an archery elk tag that hickory bow becomes my choice of weapon. I do have a bucket list:)

Anyone raise pigeons for mail delivery LOLOLOLOL

30-Jul-20
Nice! That looks better. Good job saving the old paint on them. I hope you get that elk tag. Good luck bro.

I'm working on a unique osage bow. Gonna sinew it next. Don't know if I'll get it done in time or not. If so, I'll post a picture here. I've actually finished bows during the season and killed deer with them. Talk about procrastinatin'. :^)

30-Jul-20
Thanks! Funny that hickory bow is #63 lol It went hunting one time and ended up 1 shot - 1 doe. Hasn't Been shot since.

30-Jul-20
Jeff, I can't wait to see the pics of that bow. Dale, I love that 59er.

30-Jul-20
Good luck Dale, really nice job on the those arrah's.

30-Jul-20
Thanks Jeff! My knee replacement went great, but I have virtually no strength in that leg muscle. Zero. So I'm working on it:) best Ive felt in years otherwise! Cant wait to camp right next to Beastmaster.... me and Randy. Gonna start my singing career! As far as the arrows, they were way to pretty to chance ruining them. It weren't much to it other than being careful. Thanks again:)

31-Jul-20
Saw a huge bull with two smaller ones, up at camp today.

31-Jul-20
You gave me an idea! We may go towards Benezette next week for a day or 2.

01-Aug-20
That would make it TWO huge bulls seen near camp.

03-Aug-20
I'm sitting hear, reading (and hearing in my head) the posters, and just like that, all of a sudden, I see MY name in a post!! And I don't even believe in using hunting licenses, or pink envelopes, or stuff like that, so I can't tell if the system is stupid or not.

I just string my bow, whichever I decide on using, find the appropriate kid's twigs to match, and do my thing.

I'm a Gatherer, a finder of stuff needed, a horse-trader with no saddle.

I'll leave the hunting, the stupid system, the exploding old arrows, Metiki's replaced knee, Red's hatred of campfire music, Jeff D's ability to make wizard-worthy self bows, and all yinz others to do what you need and must do.

I just wanna have fun.

Peace, Aloha & 73

03-Aug-20

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
I gathered these this morning Randy.

03-Aug-20
I put my 2 pink envelopes in the mail (together) to the same county treasurer. I was awarded three 5C tags at 9:24 today. Still haven’t been awarded a 3D and another 5C tag (which were in the other envelope)

Usually get both sets of tags issued within an hour or so of each other. Now I gotta wonder if one envelope got lost in the mail..................

03-Aug-20
Took me 2 hrs to get those envelopes ready. ??

03-Aug-20
Think Ill send another envelope in tomorrow....:)

04-Aug-20
"Thank you sir, may I have another...…………………….." ;-)

04-Aug-20
Guess I'll have to get my license one of these days. They only have 36,000 Doe tags left in 1A last I checked.

04-Aug-20
I was waiting for the annual red envelope thread to surface....lol

Rut, at $26 you just paid a non-resident fee :)

04-Aug-20
Just checked again- still haven't processed that 2nd envelope.

toby- that will be my "non-resident" doe! ;-)

05-Aug-20
A system based off of "Which county treasurer is going to process my application fastest this year" could use some upgrading.

05-Aug-20
"A system based off of "Which county treasurer is going to process my application fastest this year" could use some upgrading."

Nah......Just ring up the 3rd grade neighbor kid on a party line, they can stop wringing out and hanging the wash, and take 20 minutes to fill out the form. Maybe hop on the scooter and run it to the post office if ya give 'em a nickel.

05-Aug-20
It’s not ONLY up to County Treasurer efficiency, Von! Don’t forget about our glorious USPS (SNAIL MAIL) System! : (

A buddy of mine sent his first round app in on 7/23................he JUST got awarded (1st round) this morning!

I’m on day 3 of Antlerless App watch and my second app has YET to be processed. Each day that goes by leads me to believe it is a USPS issue................. : (

05-Aug-20
Covid delays......... the standard answer in todays world.

05-Aug-20
I sent my second app in on July 31 from NJ. It was awarded on 8/3 at 1:40 pm.

Not bad at all.

06-Aug-20
I get every tag I send for,,,, Unless I send to Montgomery county!

09-Aug-20
So apparently the USPS was not to blame after all. My second application was processed at 10:17 on Friday. I checked with a friend who sent to the same county treasurer and his has yet to be processed. (Sent his app in on 7/31 also) So it seems Forest Co. is still processing apps.

I thought I had it figured out 2 years ago when I decided to try a couple of the more remote (Less populated) counties figuring they did not get a lot of apps and thus would process quicker. Worked great for a couple years! But either Forest Co. has a new treasurer that is taking much longer to process, or a lot of other folks are starting to catch on and switch from more populated counties to the rural ones!

Guess it’s back to the old drawing board for next year! ;-)

10-Aug-20
Just like clockwork........Rut Nut whining about pink envelopes!!! Stop whining, get them in the mail, and you will get tags. It is not that hard....seriously. LOL!!

10-Aug-20
I sent my 2nd app in Wednesday. Awarded today..... dang I need a break:)))

10-Aug-20
I've tried to explain our process to a few out of staters so that they could get doe tags. I usually end with "It's Pennsylvania."

10-Aug-20
Yep Chris.......................I will be complaining about this system until PA finally gets out of the DARK AGES!

You guys with the pink envelope fetish............................you must have been those bookworms in high school that did extra credit work for Trig and calculus! ;-)

10-Aug-20
Rut, I'm just busting your chops but next year.....come down to Hatfield and I'll show you a quick and easy way to do it. It takes me 30 minutes to fill out roughly 12 apps and 6 envelopes. No trig, no calculus and no hassle. The only time I haven't gotten the tag I desired was once when they ran out for a specific unit. As long as they don't change anything, I already have everything done for next year already!!! And no, I'm not sharing on here.............its way too much fun listening to this topic every year!

10-Aug-20
I know Chris...……………………………..I'll have to come down next summer for a 3D shoot down your way and you can show me the "secret". But then I STILL have to come up with an algorithm to figure out the most efficient county treasurer! ;-)

You 5C and 5D guys don't have to worry about that part because you get unlimited tags. But a guy that hunts in several WMU's that sell out quickly, can be out of luck if if the County Treasurer is new, slow or just plain doesn't care.

10-Aug-20
Perry, the secret is to hunt the WMUs that don't sell out quickly. :)

11-Aug-20
WOW- Thanks Phil...……………………………………...I never would have thought of that! ;-)

Got this off the PGC site. Apparently I'm not the only one dissatisfied with the system!

FOX ASKS FOR REVIEW OF ANTLERLESS DEER LICENSE APPLICATION PROCESS

Near the close of today’s meeting, Commissioner Charles Fox, the board’s president, asked Game Commission staff to explore the potential for issuing antlerless deer licenses directly through the commission.

While the mail-in antlerless application process is mandated by state law, and changing it would require legislation, Fox asked staff to proactively explore the possible alternatives for application and award of licenses should the law permit changes. Commissioner Fox noted that the commission has heard from hunters who would support revising the current system in favor of a more customer friendly process for applying for an antlerless license.

11-Aug-20
Duh. Morons. CHANGE THIS RETARDED LAW!

No reason we shouldn't be able to get our doe tags printed when they print out ALL the other tags. You know, like they do with Dmap DOE TAGS. It should take 10 seconds to enter what you want. Boom. Print. Done. Nope... takes us a MONTH.

Other states have been doing this for many, many years with the same pos system.

Pa is STILL, decades later, just as retarded and frustrating as ever. Jes sayin.

11-Aug-20

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
This mornings harvest.

11-Aug-20

11-Aug-20
Oh, those were upside down in the first picture. You didn't find them growing like that did you? LOL. Seriously, fried in butter with maple syrup on top tastes just like pancakes.

11-Aug-20
Perry, - "WOW- Thanks Phil...……………………………………...I never would have thought of that! ;-) "

Apparently not. But that's OK. I'm here to offer you guidance. LOL

Seriously, not necessarily that you're interested, but for those that are, there are some WMUs that have good hunting that still have a lot of licenses available - 3C has over 19,000, 4A (if you don't mind hunting in a CWD area) has over 28,000, 2C has nearly 14,000. I don't know 3C at all but I know the other two well and there is some fine hunting there.

11-Aug-20

Lemon & garlic puffball.

11-Aug-20
Perry, yes you better come down & we will setup a 1/2 day class on how to fill out the form & complete the envelope LOL. For the 2nd year I mailed my Pink envelope from out West. Last year from Dodge City, Kansas. This year from Red Feather lakes, Colorado while scouting Elk & fly fishing the Cache La Poudre river basin. Both times they made it to Pa & was awarded the requested Tags. ;)

11-Aug-20
"This is your brain on drugs." Sorry, I couldn't pass it up.

11-Aug-20
Dang Bob, you’re really showing off now! ;-)

12-Aug-20
Mushrooms? Showing off? He got them in his backyard under the old chevy hood! Hayl I got 2 doe tags in about 12 minutes of work- I had to write my name 8 times! You guys need supervised....... Anybody use a 10Pt crossbow?

12-Aug-20
I was talking about Bob Kern, Dale........................mailing his from Colorado! ;-)

12-Aug-20
It's not the pink envelopes that get me its the $6.90. Let's charge $10.00 a tag and let the PGC make a little money. I paid $20.00 one year for a extra Turkey tag.

12-Aug-20
Bet thar's sum on here that miss that ole sqwaking ringy dingy AOL or Mindspring dial-up internet. Who am I kidding.....they're still bemoaning the loss of party lines.

13-Aug-20
LMBO! Party lines? They probably wish we still had the Telegraph! ;-)

13-Aug-20
Telegraph? Just what was wrong with smoke signals?

13-Aug-20

14-Aug-20
"I got 2 doe tags in about 12 minutes of work- I had to write my name 8 times!"

World's changing. Many schools not even teaching how to write their name, because it's really not needed anymore. Basically, there's going to be a ton of people that won't be able to write their name 8 times. Maybe at that point the PA legislature will get around to accessing the efficiency of the 21st century. There's a reason you don't see a whole lot of 1960's cars on the road today.

17-Aug-20
Youngest grandson's came Friday, now for the next two. Gonna need to learn Dales secret, he probably knows the entire staff.

17-Aug-20
Heres my secret....

Barnett TS380 CCD Destroyer with Death Reaper Bloodlust arrows Equipped with my newest addition ....

17-Aug-20

Bluetooth Arrow nocks! The neighbor kid uses the bluetooth to buy his doe tags lololol

18-Aug-20

Dale Hajas's Link
Yall worry about instant tags...every year smh LOLOL

Heres something REALLY needing change for bowhunting.

18-Aug-20
Can you get PANDORA on those nocks, Dale?

Where is ‘ol Roy when we need him.......................

18-Aug-20
What is pandora?

18-Aug-20
Pandora....she was responsible for letting the compound bow out of her box, thereby besetting evil upon the archery world.

18-Aug-20
LOL! : )

18-Aug-20
X2 LOL!!

18-Aug-20
lol x3....and crossbows

18-Aug-20

Oh ok....so a woman invented some archery stuff? I saw this at Dunhams. Buy 1 pack of expandables And get a free skirt. Do they make rage for women? I bought those twisty Blade ones.

19-Aug-20
Dale, please keep me informed where your hunting. I don't want to know your secret spot but rather give you plenty of room on that secret spot.

19-Aug-20
Buddy I HavenT bought broadheads in close to 10 years. I just figured these expandable guys would be interested:)

19-Aug-20
Dale, I saw that same ad, too!! It was right next to the trad bows and “broadside of the barn” targets. ;)

19-Aug-20
Ok- I see you have taken over for Roy now Dale! ;-)

14-Sep-20
STILL waiting on a 3D and 5C tag- they were awarded on Aug 7th.................guess I have to call the County Treasuerer’s office tomorrow! : (

15-Sep-20
Calling the switchboard operator?

15-Sep-20
Yeah, gotta ride my horse a couple miles to Godsey’s General Store to make the call! ;-)

15-Sep-20
Probably just mixed in with all the absentee ballots, should arrive Nov 4th.

15-Sep-20
OK- this just keeps getting better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the phone with the Forest Co Treasurer. I explain that they awarded me a 3D and a 5C tag(s) on 8/7 and as of yesterday, I had not received them in the mail. Her response was: "We don;t send them out right away, we hold them for a few weeks to make sure the checks clear........................we'll be sending them out at the end of the month". So my response was "YOU DO KNOW THE SEASON STARTS IN WMU 5C ON (this)SATURDAY, RIGHT?!" She then stutters obviously searching for an answer.................."Uh, um wait a minute, let me check.............................oh yes- we sent them out ....................what is the date today.............................um, yes- they were sent out last Thursday for Friday. "

So, obviously this just proves that either the county treasurers don't know that they need to get the 5C,5D and 2B tags out sooner(Which they SHOULD), or WORST, they simply don;t care! If I hadn;t heard it with my own ears I would not have believed it! : (

16-Sep-20
Clearly running like a well oiled machine....

16-Sep-20
That’s not even the half of it! : (

About an hour later I got a call back from the Treasurer. NOW the story is ................all doe tags were sent out weeks ago- “you should have gotten them by now. Must be lost in the mail. We will issue replacement tags and send them out today.” Then while I am giving her all my pertinent info, she comments that she has heard of others who have not gotten their tags................

Just when I think I have everything straightened out, she calls back a few minutes later and says: “Mr. Hartmann, do you have the license #’s for those missing doe tags?” So I have to log onto the PGC site, pull up my info and give her the numbers. Meanwhile I used up half my lunchtime and my entire afternoon break time.

And people wonder what the big deal is?! ;-)

17-Sep-20

zzzzzzzzzzz

17-Sep-20
Rut... I agree, the system sucks, and is idiotic. But, I kept track of mine. I mailed mine on a Monday morning, and had all my license in hand Saturday, of the same week. There are miracles. Lol

17-Sep-20
That’s the problem Jim- we now can check to see exactly when they were awarded, but know way to know until the second Monday in September that there is a problem. Because each county treasurer seems to send them out at different times and there is nothing the PGC can do as long as they are sent out by Sept 14th. By then it is too late if you expect to use the tags on Sept 19! : (

LOL! Looks like that guy has just given up, Dale! ;-)

17-Sep-20
Did you save your receipts? :)

17-Sep-20
Always nice when I go out of state and the "receipt" is my tag. ;>)

17-Sep-20
Receipt is always in my wallet and serves as a backup. My tag is still on my back where it belongs:)

18-Sep-20
Grandson's and my tag showed up today, just in time like a well oiled machine:)

18-Sep-20
Wow hawkeye! What county did you send to that knew EXACTLY what day to send them out to make sure they got there with no time to spare?! ;-)

18-Sep-20
2B and check was cashed on the 24th by Westmoreland. I think Sally the operator borrowed your horse for delivery;) Grandson and I are touching up his broadheads, he's excited as this is his first year. All is good!

18-Sep-20
Well, good luck to you and your grandson!

18-Sep-20
Thanks, and good luck to all who all is going out. The cool weather sure feels nice!

19-Sep-20
Beautiful morning, the does stayed out of his range and the turkeys came right in with out calling. Sighting of bucks remain extremely scarce.

20-Sep-20
Hey Rut Nut, I sent to Lancaster County and had my tag, in hand, in about 10 days. I will not send to any county that holds your tag. Can you imagine if Amazon just randomly decided when they felt like sending your order???

My brother had issues, twice with Lebanon county. Never again.

A friend asked me to check the status of her Lebanon tags this year. She had sent in on two rounds. BOTH tags were issued on the same day, August 12th!!!!!! That is just poor customer service.

21-Sep-20
Yeah, I thought I had it all figured out last year. Didn’t have a problem until this year. Unfortunately we are dealing with the HUMAN element here. So probably can’t eliminate all problems until we get a TRUE point-of-Sale system.

So I guess next year I will scratch Forest County off my list and try another. : (

• Sitka Gear