Unit 9er 09-Aug-20
swampokie 09-Aug-20
Unit 9er 09-Aug-20
splitlimb13 09-Aug-20
smarba 10-Aug-20
31-Jul-20

splitlimb13's embedded Photo
splitlimb13's embedded Photo
Anyone with tags here? This could benefit whoever does..

02-Aug-20
Ya that spike camping in the Luearas would be great. Eliminate that early dusty ATV indy 500 up that road ever morning in the dark.

03-Aug-20
We hunt up there. We will see what happens. This will be good for spike camping for sure, to keep you legal . Guys camp every year where they aren't supposed to. Had a group set up camp in one of our favorite meadows two years ago and got death threats for calling the warden. So, this may really screw the pooch. We have such a large camp, we can't get our stuff up those nasty roads! I don't care where you are up there, unless you want to hunt the same 3 or 4 mile square, you're gonna need an ATV.

04-Aug-20
How is it outfitters can have large tent camps set up on state land during hunting season in this unit, even running generators 24hrs? But were not allowed to spike. Is there something I'm missing since they have grazing lease they can camp on it??

04-Aug-20
You nailed it Adam! BINGO! That's exactly why. The same landowner leasing thousands of acres of state and OWN one section are selling the hell out of the tags, and the outfit who is buying them are permitted by the lessee to camp.

06-Aug-20
Sounds like some racketeering going on...

09-Aug-20
UUbar has let us camp on their lease in years past. It's no preferential treatment, let me tell you, as we are just in a spot outside where the "corral" is now set up. We used to get permission from Stanley years ago and camp mid mountain up by Whites peak, but when the deal to conglomerate his checkerboard fell through, he got pissed and quit letting us camp on his land. So, we went to UUbar. The corral is a joke. No shade and who the F wants to come up to elk camp to have neighbors inside a fenced area?

The new situation is a step forward, but you can only stay 14 days, which is stupid as you can't come set up camp early, scout and stay your whole hunt, ,much less come early to bear hunt. Stuff to work out and we have been on the phone with the SLO.

We STILL don't know where we are going to camp and we have 13 people that are going to be up at one time or another, with bear, deer, elk and turkey tags.

09-Aug-20
ya know if I was on the outside looking in id say it seems like outfitters may be getting favors? Well I guess as long as it boosts the rural economies and puts New Mexicans to work, I can deal with a little generator noise and even a little cough from the covid that the unquarantined clients of the outfitters may have to offer. Small sacrifice...

09-Aug-20
Outfitters that I know of up there do not let public hunters camp on the grazing lease on State Land. There are a few exceptions, we were one camp and I know of one other getting permission to camp on the lease, but as I said, we are way out on the end of the unit, next to the corral, so no preferential treatment other than not being in the pen. I'm not sure where Barrera is getting his info about large tent camps running generators all night on State Land, could be on the other end of the unit?

UUBar for one, are Ranch only hunts, tag holders camp on their ranch.

09-Aug-20
9er there's a huge outfitter camp in 16e. Wall tents cooks the whole world buddy!

10-Aug-20
Outfitters can get permit to camp on State land, but any permits require written permission from grazing lessee (which I assume involves $$$)

• Sitka Gear