David Mitchell 15-Aug-20
babysaph 15-Aug-20
babysaph 15-Aug-20
babysaph 15-Aug-20
Ward 20-Aug-20
gobbler 20-Aug-20
Koogie 24-Sep-20
05-Aug-20
I'm going to get a few friends and we are going go petition the DNR to increase the license fees and Buck stamp fees. It would really help the DNR.,

06-Aug-20
LOL

15-Aug-20
JR, if you get the Gazette-Mail, there is a great op-ed piece this morning by Cory Boothe regarding this and the whole buck limit reduction. According to the things stated by him, the DNR endowment fund is now a healthy 63 million dollars. He writes that the reduction in the buck limit would cost the DNR $275,000 a year in lost revenue, but that the DNR sits on a recent 24% gain in total revenue from $39 million in 2015 to $51 million for fiscal year 2019. He also referenced the DNR Commission as recently voting to refuse to lower the 3 buck limit to 2 even though a survey showed that 1,022 sportsmen favored the lowering of the buck limit while 72 opposed it--93% of those responding favored the reduction. He named the four commissioners who opposed the lower limit but our own Gobbler was not one of the majority. There is much more in the article and I am not advocating for the figures presented but I do think the piece is well worth reading at least.

15-Aug-20
Cory Boothe: Sportsmen of West Virginia want justice (Opinion)

By Cory Boothe

"Advocates for lowering the buck limit during hunting season from three to two per year in our state suffered a puzzling defeat at the hands of some longstanding members of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources Commission at the recent quarterly meeting.

For years now, a loud voice has resonated for a better deer hunting experience, focusing more on quality than quantity. That voice has been confirmed by survey after survey and public meeting after public meeting. The voice was so loud that Gov. Jim Justice extended the public comment period on the reduction of the yearly buck limit by two months.

The final tally of email responses to DNR Director Steve McDaniel included 1,022 for the reduction and 72 against it. That is a 93% approval rating for the reduction.

When considering changes to deer hunting in West Virginia, financial effects must be weighed. It is estimated that a reduction in buck limits would cost roughly $275,000 per year in revenue loss. However, the DNR currently sits on a recent 24% gain in total revenue from $39 million in fiscal year 2015 to $51 million in fiscal year 2019. Things are so good that $40 million in renovations are planned and their endowment fund has blossomed to over $63 million. Revenue from oil and gas development have the coffers of the DNR on sound financial ground.

Our highly trained wildlife biologists have said that lowering the buck limit will have no negative biological effect. Many sportsmen of our state feel it will help put needed pressure on antlerless deer in areas where they are in excess. This approach would have put West Virginia on the path to achieving a more balanced doe-to-buck ratio and an older, more natural age structure, while still affording biologists the ability to maintain population densities as needed.

Sportsmen are for the reduction. It will have negligible economic impact, and it will have no negative biological effect. So why did Commissioners Kenny Wilson, Pete Cuffaro, Byron Chambers and David Milne vote no to something sportsmen want? Why would Commissioner Wilson, of Logan County, propose an amendment stripping a 4.3-mile segment of the Cranberry River of catch-and-release status? Commissioner Wilson amended a proposal to include the deregulation of the section over his claim that constituents who wanted to keep a few trout for dinner contacted him. If Commissioner Wilson voted against the will of 1,022 sportsmen in favor of a buck limit reduction, then how many sportsmen contacted him to influence an amendment, without public comment, being made to deregulate a beloved section of trout stream with miles of catch-and-keep water below it? (McDaniel said the vote violated public-meeting procedure and will have to be taken up again in October).

Commissioner Wilson has served well over 14 years, shouldn’t he know the process and procedure that’s supposed to be followed?

Commissioners are appointed by the governor and serve a seven-year term. Of the seven-member commission, all but one are multiple-term appointees.

Interestingly enough, the same commissioners who voted against a buck limit reduction all voted for deregulating the catch-and-release section of the Cranberry River. Not a single question was raised, not a single comment was made, and we lost a crown jewel in under three minutes time from amendment to vote. It has taken multiple years of prodding and great lengths of surveying sportsmen to finally get a reduction in buck limit vote in which four commissioners denied the will of sportsmen.

It’s high time the sun shines some light into the political stagnation of the West Virginia Natural Resource Commission. Something smells fishy, and it’s not the trout in the Cranberry River."

15-Aug-20
Thanks, Jim.

15-Aug-20
I do not get the paper but an article about the meeting was in our paper. Thanks for the info and the article.

15-Aug-20
I do not get the paper but an article about the meeting was in our paper. Thanks for the info and the article.

15-Aug-20
And here I thought the DNR was hurting for money. I am so glad they are doing well. No need for the license increase. Doesn't do any good to have a 7 year limit then have multiple terms. With the result of the vote I can only think that they did not want to give up that money.

20-Aug-20
How much is nonresident these days?

20-Aug-20

gobbler's embedded Photo
gobbler's embedded Photo

24-Sep-20
190$, just paid it to hunt on my own property. Coupled with 70/yr to fish, when I first started coming back to fish a good bit (1992), it was $17 and I never keep any fish.

• Sitka Gear