Ok...Russ 18-Aug-20
JohnMC 18-Aug-20
Ok...Russ 18-Aug-20
PushCoArcher 18-Aug-20
JohnMC 18-Aug-20
Ok...Russ 19-Aug-20
JohnMC 20-Aug-20
11-Aug-20
Quick background: Wife and I were looking for a possible 2nd home/vacation rental on one of the many beautiful lakes here in Oklahoma. After coming to our senses when looking at overall costs, it just isn't feasible if not going every week and if you stay longer then your other home will need attention(garbage, yard, etc...). So, now the reason for this post. We purchased a used 23' Crownline a month or so back with the intent of visiting lakes and "maybe" settling on one we'd like to visit more than others. Caveat: My dad's health isn't well so we don't want to get too terribly far away from SW OKC area. Tenkiller is a stretch for a 2 day weekend and completely out of the question for a day trip. Are there any other recreational boaters on the forum? I won't be fishing much, if any, out of this one but more for relaxing in a cove or pulling nieces/nephews around on a tube. I've been to most of the bigger lakes just not necessarily on the water in a boat. Tenkiller is beautiful and deep just wish was closer. Eufaula is big. Huge. Parts are nice but really have to be careful with depth. Probably just takes getting used to lake. Arbuckle is up this coming weekend. Another beautiful lake and deep. Should be lots of fun. Murry is probably next. It and Arbuckles are about 1 1/2 hours from home so easy weekend day trip. Have to shuffle in these trips along with getting food plots ready and saving a little time for the house!

11-Aug-20
How can I get a blank line inserted? That's a horrible read!

14-Aug-20
First blank line you need to hit the enter button 4x.

I grew up in Hugo so I am partial to Hugo Lake. It is a fairly big lake and you probably will find less busy than some of the lakes you mentioned. Broken Bow lake it also a great lake.

16-Aug-20
Russ, you hooked me up in Colorado so I'll offer you some return information that may help you. I have a place in NE ok on lake ft. gibson that I go to almost every weekend. There is also Lake Hudson, Lake Spavinaw, Lake Eucha , Grand Lake, and Lake Keystone all in the NE part of Ok. and all within the 150 mile range. There is also several places in the NE part of Ok. that has some pretty good public hunting. Some of these, you can't swim in but are great fishing lakes. There are also some smaller hidden lakes such as the Pumpback lake but you can't have an outboard motor on your boat, again a great fishing lake. All of these lakes are great fishing for most oklahoma species. Hit me up if you need more info.

17-Aug-20
Thanks John and Jack!

17-Aug-20
Not sure were you are in "SW" Okiehoma but North Texass has some nice lakes as well that might be just as close. If I remember correctly you came from Colorado so kind of the opposite of me. Almost any lake in OK is better for what you are wanting to do than any lake it CO.

17-Aug-20
Russ checkout Shawnee twin lakes close to you and a nice small lake good for recreation or fishing.

17-Aug-20

JohnMC's embedded Photo
JohnMC's embedded Photo
There is a sunset from on Shawnee around the 4th of July. Not what I would call really close to SW OK. Nice lake but lots of just as nice along the way. Probably less busy than some lakes. However if still considering a cabin there a lot of them there. However I believe the cost have when up in recent years.

17-Aug-20
John I believe you misread he is coming from SW OKC area. Had a friend in college who's parents owned a cabin on the SE end of the south lake had some good times.

17-Aug-20
I missed the "C"! I was think like Lawton. By bad.

17-Aug-20
Attention to detail, John! Geezzz! :)

17-Aug-20
I know but good news is I make up for my reading and writing skills with my good looks!

18-Aug-20
I'm very cautious on where I mention in OK because John is on the watch and he ripped someone for saying SE Oklahoma when referencing Ada! Just gotta look at the university name to figure it out 'East Central University'....duh?

Lots of nice lakes here in OK and nothing like CO but you got mountains instead and elk that you can actually hunt! Heard Broken Bow was really nice so that may be next. Shawnee is pretty close though.

Thanks again!

18-Aug-20
It was not Ada. I don't remember exactly where it was but it was but was east, but north of 40. I would not say I ripped anyone more gently pointed out that it was not southeast OK. Growing up in SE OK it is a special place to me. Not much economic opportunity, hot and humid, better deer hunting other places. But I still enjoy the area even if I doubt I would live there again. One day in the not to distance future I would like to get back down there bowhunt some of the public I cut my teeth on also do some duck hunting. We had lots of fun hunting ducks in High School.

18-Aug-20
Obviously razzing you. It wasn't Ada, maybe Seminole, but was South of I-40 and East of I-35 so technically is SE OK but not radically extreme SE where you were brought up. My Ada reference was to universities and their names/location. Ada - East Central. Durant - Southeastern OSU. Miami - Northeastern A&M. Alva - Northwestern OSU. Then you add in Weatherford - Southwestern OSU which screws the whole thing up....It's on the North side of I-40 so everything above can be ignored now that you wasted 2 minutes reading it! :)

18-Aug-20
If you're not south of McAlester and east of Durant it ain't SE Oklahoma. Broken Bow is gorgeous with amazing bass fishing if you head there Russ let me know I'm only about 40 miles from the lake. John let me know if you want some company on those duck hunts I know a few public spots in between Hugo and Rattan.

18-Aug-20
If I ever get down there I will look you up. If you like to hunt slews you have to walk aways to get to let me know. I only hunted them a couple time in the last 20 years, but one think I love about that area it seems to be a place time forgot so I doubt much has changed.

Russ folks from Okiehoma are better at giving direction in over yonders than in North East South West I reckon!

19-Aug-20
John, as long as you know where the old Miller place was prior to the tornado of '69, you won't miss the turn!

20-Aug-20
I use to hunt out at the old Miller place that tornado created some great bedding area for deer.

• Sitka Gear