TCTORO 20-Aug-20
Muddyboots 20-Aug-20
MMich 21-Aug-20
Knothead 16-Sep-20
MMich 28-Sep-20
ohiohunter 12-Nov-20
MMich 22-Dec-20
14-Aug-20
Good Day...was lucky enough too draw an archery tag here this fall...been watching the weather and looks like some decent rain recently...getting pumped...I've tried to contact the state and ask a few questions, but haven't gotten thru in person and no replies to my voicemails...perhaps someone here might know and be willing to share... 1) is there any grazing permits in this unit? Have worked around lots of sheep the last couple hunts in other areas/states...I know it is what it is...so just curious... 2) I have a pick-up camper, so I usually bring an ATV to use for transportation on day trips on the forest roads and leave the truck/camper in camp...any issues with that in this unit...I stay on the roads...also Cimmaron campground says "no offroad vehicles allowed"...so also wondering if that is an issue there...if it is I can bring equipment to get the camper off the truck and use the truck... Appreciate any insight into these topics...and any other innput anyone might be willing to add... Have a great day, Charlie

14-Aug-20
Only main road travel, and really only one for that which runs east/west. Side roads are gated off. No sheep, but probably a few cattle.

Most places hold elk, pick a spot and go. I would suggest starting at least 1/2 mile to 1 mile away from the main road as a start destination.

I stayed at Cimarron and hunted the "high" stuff around Clayton Corals.

14-Aug-20
There will be no need for your atv there. One road to drive on and one looping road that goes south around cimmaron cg and then swings back north. All other roads are gated. It’s actually quite easy to get around the mountains there. Lots of really old overgrown logging roads. Incredible place to hunt and the history is pretty cool too.

15-Aug-20
Best Elk hunt I have ever been on, enjoy and revel every second of it.

I would pack an extra spare tire and skip the atv

15-Aug-20
Oh yeah, nearly the entire road is full of washboards. Was there in 2017.

An ATV would allow you to get around better...

19-Aug-20
Really appreciate the feedback... thank you, Charlie

20-Aug-20
Guaranteed there will be cattle in there and the round up usually takes place towards end of September or Early October, ALWAYS during the hunts! While an ATV might be useful on the roads, also guaranteed that you'll end up regretting all the dust you'll eat as trucks are bouncing past you hauling ass. Roads are always total washboard. The camp hosts last year weren't very friendly, especially "outdoor enthusiast friendly(hunters)" so expect a hard time with an ATV in camp. There are always some local cowboys that camp and do pack trips to retrieve game or take you in and drop off as well. Me, the wife, two daughters(youth) and one daughter twice have hunted the VV and its the most amazing place to spend September with a bow in your hand! PM me if you want to chat more specifically.

20-Aug-20
Be sure you have a good air compresser and a few cans of tire repair, plus a plug kit. That road eats tires!

21-Aug-20
My son drew the second archery hunt this year, I am so much looking forward to it, will be the first time in six years that we able to hunt together again. The Elk will be the icing.

Good luck Charlie, maybe see ya up there.

16-Sep-20
Any reports back from the archery hunts on VV?

28-Sep-20
We had a great time, spent the whole hunt living out of a backpack and staying in the hills. Cold nights and warm days, lots of music and action in the hills. My son had his opportunities but we just came home with memories and not meat.

12-Nov-20
How cold did it get? When I was there the creek bottom was about 20* +/-, no way I could've spiked in that during september.

22-Dec-20
Didn’t take a thermometer with us but we had mornings that were below 30 multiple times as the water was froze when left outside the shelter

• Sitka Gear