Dale06 21-Aug-20
Mnhunter1980 24-Aug-20
Whocares 24-Aug-20
Norseman 08-Sep-20
12yards 08-Sep-20
Norseman 13-Sep-20
Whocares 17-Oct-20
19-Aug-20
Where is everybody?? Holed up? Who's all heading out for elk? When and where? I was in Colorado for a couple weeks in July and backpacked into a favorite wilderness for a few days. Will be back in Colorado for the Sept 2 opener. But can't hunt til the following Tuesday as I will be guiding the first week. Get each Tuesday off to hunt on my own so the pressure will be on. Other years when the opener was the last Saturday of August I had 4 or 5 days to hunt at the beginning. I'm ready for season to start. Will be fun! Nothing better than September in the mountains.

19-Aug-20
Good luck! Hope you get a big one!

19-Aug-20
Good luck! I will not be hunting elk this September . I will be hunting deer in SD though. Keep us posted please!

19-Aug-20
Good luck to you with the deer. I hope I can send a pic! Really like the meat so gladly shoot a cow. But my experience has shown me that easier to get a bull in Sept. ???

19-Aug-20
I know it’s not popular to shoot cows and calves but I regret not shooting a calf when I had the chance. My buddy got a cow and we split the meat. Looking back that calf would have gotten an arrow. Being a whitetail hunter even the calves look big to me! My ceilings are to short in my house for a big elk rack but there is plenty of room in my freezers ;)

20-Aug-20
Done going west myself, but when I did cows were my favorite, and I've never found a good recipe yet for preparing horns for the table! Having said that, those golden aspens against a blue Colorado sky is just amazing.

21-Aug-20
My hunting partner, after 5 years applying, drew a bear tag so he will be hunting the first 2 days. We leave for LE Co (3 points to draw) on either Thursday or Friday (3rd or 4th). We are both stoked and all packed.

Then October 10th, my son and I head to Idaho for a rifle elk hunt. Due to being in the military and constant traveling, he has never elk hunted before. I've hunted Idaho a few times, but due to wolves in the areas, it was poor to bad.

Sooooooo, looking to the south a bit, I did a BUNCH of map research, called and visited with a wildlife biologist, looked at statistics and basically just took a chance on an OTC area ....... so we shall see if it turns out to be a camping trip or possibly take an elk. Either way, hunting with my son after all these years is what it's all about - elk or no elk - doesn't matter to me, but my prayers are he gets a chance at one.

Good luck to the rest, be safe, shoot straight ...... "may your bow bend quiet and your arrows fly true". Bob

21-Aug-20
No elk for me this year, my Canadian bear hunt is cancelled, S. Dakota antelope and Mn deer for me.

21-Aug-20
Hunting elk in south new mex Sept 20-24.

24-Aug-20
Sounds like some fun hunts coming up! Now of the weather would cooperate it would at least feel like hunting season is coming. It’s been in the 90s in western SD recently, I hope that ends soon! Good luck!

24-Aug-20
The forecast shows next week dropping to the 60s for northern MN.

08-Sep-20
5 days and a wake up. Gila elk Beware

08-Sep-20
Good luck Norseman!

13-Sep-20
Thanks Steve! Should be fun. It’s been 11 years since I’ve drawn NM.

17-Oct-20
Sitting here looking out my window and watching it snow. Had a great September in the Colorado mountains. Actually only had 2 1/2 days to hunt myself as I was busy guiding all month. Didn't fill my tag but had two different fun encounters in that time. One morning drew my bow 3 times for a bull within 10 yards. He kept a fir tree between us as he went back and forth. Duh! Next morning enjoyed a rut fest for 2 hours but couldn't get a shot. Was really fun. All my hunters had opportunities with several scoring and more with clean misses on good chances! Better than wounding. Now spending time back here at the shack getting a few grouse and waiting for November deer. Probably a trip to ND for pheasants even though I had to put my Golden Retriever down in August. Not near the fun without a dog but love hunting those roosters.

• Sitka Gear