RutnStrut 27-Sep-20
Ridge Runner 27-Sep-20
Ridge Runner 27-Sep-20
Beerbobber31 18-Nov-20
Beerbobber31 18-Nov-20
Beerbobber31 18-Nov-20
Jeff in MN 18-Nov-20
31-Aug-20
Just wondering if anyone has any tricks to getting rid of skunks. I have one or two that are nightly visitors under my bird feeders. This area is fairly close to the front door and we have all had close calls walking out in the dark. Motion light doesn't bother them, can't shoot them this close to the house. I've learned that the hard way. Live traps don't work well for me. They work great as far as catching the damn things. But I never have any luck moving them without spraying.

01-Sep-20

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link
These do work great. If you shop around you may find them cheaper. If your feeders are hanging its not skunks.

01-Sep-20
Use a tarp. Put part of a tarp over the live trap. Attach a 20' rope to one end. Don't cover the entry door. When you have the skunk in said trap pull the rope to cover the trap. Use one of those cheap black tubes people use for directing rain water from the gutters. Have one end already under the tarp (back of the trap). Slide the tube over your car or truck tailpipe and let it run for 30 minutes. The skunk falls asleep and dies rarely spraying. I learned this from a long time animal control and pest manager.

01-Sep-20
Trickle +1

01-Sep-20
I do a couple things,

Skunks do not want to spray it is their only line of defense! It takes them 2 weeks to recharge. If they are stressed back away, talk to them high pitched voice helps, Mine is not that. LOL. If that are doing the happy feet dance back away. The indicts they are going to spray. Calm them down.

1. I have a barkers skunk eliminator, cut a couple holes in your live trap just big enough to get it through. Place on broom handle. Skunks almost inject them selves, Watch videos online. Uses paint thinner pr acetone, 12 cc. Use for trapping and in our beef barn all the time.

2. Walk up slow talking to them and calm them down, place sheet over the top let them settle down. Pick up gently carry away.

4. Same as above but set in 100 gallon stock tank full of water. They drown and can't spray.

01-Sep-20
I walk right past them and they dont care. Sure they get a bit alarmed but as long as you go on your business they take off. I've had them raise their tail and hop at you but most times (unless sick) will take off.

Now I'm not talking walk by so you feel their whiskers but given space they will bale out

01-Sep-20
Years ago a neighbor woman would run a trap line along the shore of a river for mink and rats. She would sometimes catch a skunk in a leg hold trap. She would very calmly talk to them and let them go with no 'issues'. I would just shoot them but she did not want to toast the set with skunk spray.

When I catch one near the house I carefully throw a tarp over the trap and run a hose under the tarp hooked to a few feet of metal pipe that I pushed into the exhaust of the lawn tractor. Wouldn't take long for them to peacefully pass on to skunk heaven.

One time I was pheasant hunting with my golden retriever. He tangled with a skunk that was caught in the landowners leg hold trap. Grrrr..... Good thing I had an El Camino with a topper so the dog rode in the back for the trip home and a bath. I think I used tomato juice and dish soap to kill some of the smell.

01-Sep-20
Yes to what screwball said. A friend of mine makes trapping scents with skunk essence. He would inject them with acetone, they would just go to sleep.

01-Sep-20
Remember a high % of skunks carry the rabies virus with no outward symptoms. Wear gloves when handling them and as we all do this mask thing wear that also. Disenfect your trap with bleach after too. You can contract the virus thru saliva and feces. Not really airborne but as long as you got a mask use it just cause. I know people have caught rabies thru respritory means exploring bat caves,even some attics.

01-Sep-20
I always hear that if the trap is short enough that the skunk can't raise it's tail it can't spray.

01-Sep-20
I was always told the ones with rabies attack and will chase you. Non infected skunks are shy and will run away.

01-Sep-20
If you are in a rural area I would (and have) set up a bait pile far enough away from the house the smell won't be a factor and check it early morning and later afternoon. Check it a number of times if you don't want to sit it. Smelly stuff like chicken skin and bones or fish remains. You'll find them on it soon enough. Easy shooting.

01-Sep-20
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm going to order the trap in arrow's link. I usually could care less about skunks being around. But this one is pretty bold. I have walked out to throw garbage in our dumpster at night and almost stepped on it. We keep our dumpster closed and nothing has torn any garbage bags open so it's not getting in that. It likes to hang out right outside the garage by front door. It is digging underneath the hanging bird feeders eating the spilled seed. I have watched it do this.

02-Sep-20
It is known that the most common mammal to carry rabies virus are skunks. Some health experts and science studies have put forth evidence that they can say with confidence that all skunks carry the virus showing no symptoms or aggressive behaviors for many months or even years Lot's of literature online in that regard. So just don't assume because a skunk runs off from you or displays no sick behavior that it isn't infected and a carrier of the virus. Studies show 100% positive tests on hundreds of skunks. Rather like the prairie dogs out west where certain populations carry the plague. They are a resivour of that pathogen. So if you are dealing with a skunk don't assume it may not be rabid, know it is and know it has been exposed to the virus. Just because it looks and acts normal means squat. There is a 99.99% chance it carries rabies virus. Protect yourself accordingly.

02-Sep-20
I use a live traps to keep the coon population down around my corn fields. I had learned from an old trapper that if you shoot a skunk through the ribs/heart - it won't spray. I have tried it and it has worked for me so far. I stand back about 15 yards and put a round through the chest with my 10/22. Works great. They do not spray.

02-Sep-20
We would trap them in a live trap, through a tarp or old blanket over them to transport them. Once at the destination we would have a rope tied to the handle of the trap. We would throw the trap with the skunk in it into the pond. After about 10 minutes pull the trap back into shore with no issues

02-Sep-20
Live trap/cat food and a 22 rifle. Over 2 dozen and zero sprays.

02-Sep-20
Acetone in a syringe at the end a painters stick or .22 through the lungs.

02-Sep-20
Acetone works great and fast.

03-Sep-20
Get a crossbow, then you could shoot them at a hundred yards.

03-Sep-20
Now old bowhunter... you got banned once under your old name fighting for the usage.... Have you seen any Jake's hunting this year Herb?

03-Sep-20
Almost got sprayed tonight. Walked out the door to grab something out of my truck and there he was. I got back in the door quick. It did spray but didn't get me.

03-Sep-20
Time for him to go. Didn't get you but his perfume will hang around for days.

04-Sep-20
Since he already sprayed-shoot him.

04-Sep-20
"Since he already sprayed-shoot him."

That was exactly what I was going to do. But when I came back out with the 22 I couldn't find him.

05-Sep-20
Ain't that how it goes? Now you see me now you don't. He shall be back. Be prepared. RIP SKUNK

05-Sep-20
That skunk probably ran a long ways to get away from that smell. Might still be running. ;-)

05-Sep-20
LOL, wife just went out to our beef barn, indirect hit but right close and does she smell!!!! Guess the trap goes out tomorrow!

25-Sep-20
I was working late Tuesday evening banking hours for rutcation. Wife called me and said in no uncertain terms that I had a few days to get rid of the skunk. She had went to take the garbage out to the dumpster and barely got back in the door before it sprayed. She also commented on how it was the biggest skunk she had ever seen. Yesterday at dusk I set the livetrap out with a cat food trail leading into it. Set it about 60 yards from the house. Checked it at 9:00 last night and already had a huge skunk in it. Left it until this morning and tarped it and ran a hose from the tailpipe of my truck to under the tarp. Let it run for 15 minutes and it was out. Took the trap with skunk in it to the far edge of our land and put 2 in it's head with the .22 pellet gun. Then buried it in a 4 foot deep hole.

It did spray as I was throwing the tarp on.

26-Sep-20
4 foot deep hole? It ain't gonna get anymore dead.

Glad you finally got him!

27-Sep-20
Tweed, that was more for the stink factor than anything.

27-Sep-20

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
We had one on the front lawn of the cabin during daylight on the opening day of bear season digging for grubs and showing no fear of us We ended up shooting it ( about 20 shots with brothers pistol lol) Anyway it was in the woods and didn’t smell However the 2nd week we were up and smelled it once in a while if wind was right Then realized something had got at it and dragged the darn thing back on to our lawn

27-Sep-20

18-Nov-20

Beerbobber31's embedded Photo
Here’s my pictures of skunks I trapped while doing deck project. Probably would never seen them, but it during the eclipse couple years back.

18-Nov-20

Here’s my pictures of skunks I trapped while doing deck project. Probably would never seen them, but it during the eclipse couple years back.

18-Nov-20

I used can of Tuna in trap. Then old blanket to cover. Pull blanket back till see the head then .22. Them 2 little bastards dug tunnel 3 ft. Under the pavers I had to left so I had redo them as well.

18-Nov-20
I carefully place a hunk of black plastic over the live trap and down to the ground all the way around the trap . Drive my lawn tractor (or lawn mower if you don't have a lawn tractor) close to the crime scene and attach a pipe about 2 feet long over or inside of the exhaust pipe of the tractor but first I fit a piece of garden hose to the other end of that pipe and stick that other end of the hose in the trap (or at least between the tarp and the trap). Return maybe 15 minutes later (better safe than sorry} and your skunk is dead with no stink. Now be smart and do not set the trap anywhere near your house. ;-) But if you do then carefully cover the live trap and carry it to where you intend to take care of the critter.

• Sitka Gear