Tweed 02-Sep-20
Pete-pec 02-Sep-20
DiRTY MiKE 02-Sep-20
happygolucky 02-Sep-20
Pete-pec 02-Sep-20
Reggiezpop 02-Sep-20
01-Sep-20

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Start with a centered hole, and drill a pilot through both walls of the square tubing, and centered on the lowest ladder wrung.
Start with a centered hole, and drill a pilot through both walls of the square tubing, and centered on the lowest ladder wrung.
Four drill bits later, I've worked up to a 1/2 inch hole I'll slide my all thread through
Four drill bits later, I've worked up to a 1/2 inch hole I'll slide my all thread through
Spindle/axel slid through
Spindle/axel slid through
Test fit with single wheel and hardware
Test fit with single wheel and hardware
Well you know me, I'm never satisfied with what's available, so I often times modify what's given to us as the consumer. I'm a ladder stand hunter. I'm a big fella, and I'm done with hang-on stands.

A few buddies of mine, and myself have been intrigued by some of the untouched hunting opportunities that exist statewide, and we've been plotting waypoints that we'd like to take day trips on and see what we see. I've found 14 places within 40 minutes of me, that are very promising. Pinch points, oxbows in rivers and creeks, cattail and tamarack swamps, and even some killer timber. All of this using plot maps, aerial imagery, DNR website, as well as a couple hunting apps. Either way, we are avoiding the crowd by going to places that are often overlooked. We all have private land. Good private land, but our eagerness to hunt, is likely detrimental to our successes. We thought perhaps we could hunt our places less, and give these day trips with a partner a chance? Some we will just hunt from the ground, but if I can get elevated, I'm doing so. This is where I decided to make a portable (wheeled) ladder stand.

I found a set of 16 inch wheels on facebook marketplace for 10 bucks. I admit, I drove 35 minutes each way to get them, but they were exactly what I was looking for. Plastic rims, and real nice tires. Half inch spindles and bearings to boot.

Essentially I took 1/2 inch allthread, and made my axel and spindles. Drilled 1/2 inch holes through the ladder and wrung, and attached them permanently to the first ladder section. The piece is about 9 feet long, and I simply ratchet strap the two other sections to the cart, and they are silent. I also used a safety harness I modified with a buckle that allows me a hands-free ability to pull the cart with my shoulder and back. Of course it has handles for crossing down trees etc., but for the most part it's hands-free, and pretty slick. The only additional cost was tires at 10 bucks, and perhaps 8 bucks in hardware. Ladder stand was 55 bucks. 75 bucks altogether. Not bad?

01-Sep-20

Locked in tight. No slipping no rattling.
Locked in tight. No slipping no rattling.
Wrung, washer, locking washer, nut (tighten) Then washer, wheel, washer, nut, locking washer, and nut (tighten) repeat other side
Wrung, washer, locking washer, nut (tighten) Then washer, wheel, washer, nut, locking washer, and nut (tighten) repeat other side
Cart is assembled, and the two other ladder sections are stacked and ratcheted down for a quiet approach
Cart is assembled, and the two other ladder sections are stacked and ratcheted down for a quiet approach
Once the single wheel is test fit, I lock down both sides with a washer toward the wrung, a locking washer next, then a locking nut. You will then tighten, and add a washer to the inside, then the wheel, and on the outside, another washer, a nut, a locking washer and another nut to lock it in. It will not slip. Repeat on the other side. When done, cut off excess spindle.

Once the wheels are locked in, now I can stack the other ladder sections and brace bar, and tie my straps on that hold the top section against the tree when putting it up. Note: I use three ratchets. One for my brace bar that I put on first after finding level. Then I use another to tighten my straps that wrap the tree, and keep the top tight to the tree until I put my 3rd ratchet strap on the stand at the seat where the stand bites the tree. Ratchet straps are easy, and a much better option in my opinion.

01-Sep-20

Carry your pack and bow
Carry your pack and bow
Or haul your gear or even your deer in the cart
Or haul your gear or even your deer in the cart
You can either haul your stuff in the cart, or carry your daypack and bow. Here I have my son posing with the cart. Showing the hands-free approach.

01-Sep-20

And yes, I could remove the wheels, but I'm not going to give deer that much credit. I was able to take this stand ready to haul, put wrungs on, and set it against the tree in a few minutes. A few more minutes to put the brace bar on, straps, and ratchet down all three points. I don't think I'd do this hunt, except in the afternoon, so I could allow the area to settle down, and get away with some disturbance. If you took your time, rested while hauling it, and rested while setting it up, you could remain quiet and sweat free. Just thought I'd share.

Good luck everyone!

01-Sep-20
Pete - Great idea and great workmanship. Kudos

01-Sep-20
Thanks James. Thought maybe someone else might be interested in hauling a ladder stand a bit easier. I have 19 on the land I hunt, and I either dragged them in, or put them on a game cart. This is sort of the best of both worlds, and for very little money, I can haul gear, deer, and a latter stand into some further places. I'll be using it on that 7 acres I talked to you about. Stealth-mode!

01-Sep-20
Where do you get the wheels?

01-Sep-20
I got the wheels looking on Facebook Marketplace. I just searched bycicle wheels, golf cart wheels, and wheels. Eventually it will remind you of something close. I like it better than Craigslist or Ebay, because everything is used, cheap, and relatively close. I'm putting another together for a friend, so I'm currently looking for a similar pair.

01-Sep-20
Wtf

01-Sep-20
This makes me laugh but a good idea for the overhaul design. You'd be better pressed to buy sticks and a portable. I couldnt think of a single reason to ever use that sort of system.

02-Sep-20
Love the idea.

Are you concerned with it being too wide to get it into the woods, assuming no path?

Wonder if a single wheel design would make it more nimble.

02-Sep-20
Of course this is not for everyone. I'm sure it depends on what you're familiar with in your own surroundings, but I hunt in farm country. Many of these approaches are trails and field edges, but it really isn't wide. This cheap ladder stand has a ladder that's only 24 inches wide. It slides and rolls over a log slick. A single wheel would be awful tippy, and would require two hands to maneuver. This cart is hands free (at least in straight lines, or ones without obstacles).

Nocturnal II, I'm too old and too big for hang on stands. This concept applies to my hunting, and surely isn't intended for everyone, everywhere. That said, due to using mechanical advantage, I can walk hands free, and feel virtually nothing on my back, especially when hauling the gear in the cart. Some of these spots are walk in access only with a decent trail system, so I figured why not?

02-Sep-20
Love the design and ingenuity, but I think the flaw of ladder stands is they are a pain in the ass to put up in a tree.

Keep up the good work!

02-Sep-20
Great work on the ingenuity Pete. Thanks for sharing.

02-Sep-20
Mike, what's difficult about setting up a ladder stand. I took that cart with its 2 other sections that were ratcheted on, untied my bow rope, two straps, put the other two ladder sections on, and had it against the tree in under 5 minutes without rushing. Another ten to ratchet the other 3 points, and I'm pulling up my bow. I found hang-ons to be far more work to be honest. I'd give it to the climbers, but now you're carrying your bow, a set of sticks, your stand and a day pack in. Now add if you kill a deer. I'm not returning to my truck, or grabbing help or a game cart. I can still walk it all out, if I'm successful. Perhaps it's just my perspective? Like I said, it's certainly not intended for hunters who are content with their ways. I respect that about people. We are all pretty unique. Good luck!

02-Sep-20
I agree, Happy. Looks great! I’m sure we all have different methods that work for our situations. I know guys that love a harness, but I would be dangling upside down in one of those things in 5 minutes haha!

• Sitka Gear