Screwball 02-Sep-20
Naturelives 03-Sep-20
Grouch55 03-Sep-20
Gusto 03-Sep-20
Brother of the bow 03-Sep-20
Boone 03-Sep-20
FrigidArrows 08-Sep-20
02-Sep-20
Sorry Pete I don't want to take away from your thread about your tree stand build which I think is pretty cool.

But you asked- I can throw up sticks and strap them as I go while I'm attached to the tree with a lineman's belt. I can do it safely and in no time at all. I even do it in the dark in the morning . And then hang the stand and I'm always attached to the tree and physically next to the tree with my lineman's belt.

The thing I don't like about ladder stands is you are so far away from the tree that I can't use my lineman's belt when I'm attaching the ratchet at the top of the ladder stand. I don't like to be unattached when I'm up in a tree.

I've always found ladder stands easier to install with two people. Even if I installed the brace Midway up the stand and then the two straps that cross it still seems not that sturdy and you're not really attached as you attach the top ratchet. I would much rather be attached to the tree all the time instead of trying tighten the top strap without being tied in.

I just don't want to fall.

Have a great season!

02-Sep-20
That all makes sense. I was just talking with 3 of my coworkers (who also hunt from ladders), and we would agree that the top ratchet is the one time you are at risk. I use a ratchet system when using the straps that wrap around the tree, and draw the top in. It really sucks in the top. I have never worn a harness, and neither do these 3 idiots I work with lol.

Your post makes perfect sense to me! Good luck this season.

02-Sep-20
The top ratchet strap has always been an issue for me too. So a few years ago, I started bringing a 10ft ratchet strap along with. I set the stand up in the tree, then I attach one hook to one side of the ladder, wrap around the tree, and attach the other hook to the other side of the ladder, all while on the ground still. Crank on that as tight as you can, it wont move at all from the tree. Climb up the ladder and attach the top ratchet strap, and you are all set. Obviously the safest way to move stands is with another person, just in case. But this has worked well when/if I'm out there by myself.

02-Sep-20
I prefer ladders now after too many close calls with hang on's or climbers. I set my ladders by myself and much like badgerfan does. To each their own though and be safe and good luck hunting.

02-Sep-20
I use both ladders and hang ons. For my ladders, I started switching to brands like X-stand that have "jaws" built in to the top of the ladder. You essentially position the stand on the tree, and then use the jaw mechanism to clamp the stand to the top w/out leaving the ground. The jaws aren't 100% tight (it's best to reinforce the top w/ another strap). But they are more than tight enough to keep the ladder top glued to the tree while climbing up to finish the job. It's still always easier to have another helper when putting up a ladder, but I've found ladders w/ this system can still be done solo.

02-Sep-20
I always use a 2 1/2" strap around the tree to the ladder on each side, ratchet it up solid to help hold it in place as I set top straps.

03-Sep-20
I agree. The other reason I like about hang ons is it's easier to pick the height. We slowly sold our ladder stands over the last few years. All hang ons on the private we hunt now.

03-Sep-20
at 65 years old I can not haul up a hang on and attach it to tree anylonger

03-Sep-20
I don’t like ladder stands because they always seems to creak or pop at the most inopportune time....

03-Sep-20
I get help from my buddies to put my ladder stands up. I still use hang ons also, but I don't like to climb higher than 20ft. anymore. I'm 66 and caution is uppermost in my thoughts when I hunt. I have shot numerous bucks from my ladder stands and feel most secure in them. I do use a restraint system and always practice 3 points of contact when climbing up or down.

03-Sep-20
The one ladder stand I have is in a great spot where i hunt but just hate sitting in it because when I stand up I am a foot and half away from the tree I like to lean against the tree to make myself think I'm hiding better. I guess I could get a ladder stand where the seat folds up.

08-Sep-20
x2 for the Xstands. I love my saddle and being mobile, but there are some days where ladders sure are comfortable. My dad wont hunt from anything less than a ladder these days either. The xstands are awesome. AS wioutdoors said, very stable with the clamping system that is activated from the ground, then final ratchet up top really sinches things up. The are by far the most sturdy, AND QUIET (comes with nylon washer for every fastener location), ladder stands i have hunted from.

• Sitka Gear