SJJ 14-Dec-20
SJJ 21-Dec-20
SJJ 21-Dec-20
jdbbowhunter 21-Dec-20
Jdawg 01-Jan-21
erict 17-Feb-21
erict 17-Feb-21
07-Sep-20
Just an FYI everyone. The NYS-DEC is opening up public response to their proposal to extend the Big Game Hunting Season for whitetail deer into February 2021. This is NOT a legislative action, this is the NYS-DEC using their Regulatory Authority to amend the hunting season. For those of you who would ask New York Bowhunters, Inc. position on it, as the President, I have sent a letter to NYS-DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos of non-support, and to rethink the Department's position. At that stage, the whitetail deer population has endured an enormous amount of hunting pressure, depleted fat and nutrient stores, deep snow, and sparse food supplies. They are exhausted. Fawns that were birthed late due to the does being bred during the second breeding cycle would be even more vulnerable. During the winter months, whitetail deer metabolism slows down so that they can recover and conserve what they have left. The Farm Bureau has given support to this measure. Every hunter is a steward of the land and the definition of conservation is the wise use of natural resources. This measure could strike a devastating blow to the population.

07-Sep-20
Is this a statewide proposal and what are the allowed weapons ? Back 10-15 years ago there was a big problem in Washington County where the late muzzleloader season coincided with deer yarding up in certain areas and a slaughter ensued. This does not sound like a proposal from the professional wildlife managers of the DEC, but like a political decision.

07-Sep-20
Please provide details to this suppossed change - a link or other information on this topic. There is nothing on the DEC website that I can see and I have not heard this anywhere else. Is this possibly just to address dates for places like the Deer Management Focus area hunts? I find it hard to believe that DEC would make any large scale changes to the general deer seasons the same year, let alone years in advance.

10-Sep-20

erict's Link
I can't imagine where the subject line above came from, but there is a proposed regulation change to "Establish a bow and muzzleloader deer hunting season in the Southern Zone during the Christmas and New Year holiday week." As of the morning of 9/10/20, there is no notice of public comment on the DEC website.

Go to page 7 of the link to read the proposal.

10-Sep-20
After reading the proposed change or extension of season I do not see where it will make much difference. The week of Christmas to New Years, up in CNY not the time I would enjoy hunting and it is only bow and muzzle loader.

10-Sep-20
Agreed probably not a big deal, but with the increased efficiency of inline, smokeless muzzleloaders and crossbows and deer possibly yarding up in certain areas over harvest is a possible concern. Also it would be a waste to kill a big buck that already lost it antlers. I would prefer( but do not expect it to happen) to have a strictly primitive season ( flintlocks and recurve/longbows).

10-Sep-20
"I would prefer( but do not expect it to happen) to have a strictly primitive season ( flintlocks and recurve/longbows)." and from the time of Robin Hood Crossbows

10-Sep-20
I guess since Robin Hood was a fictional character then a Raven xbow ,cams and all, at 100 yards would also be fictionally primitive.

10-Sep-20
The DEC put out a newsletter today saying the week from Christmas to New Years but southern zone only

10-Sep-20

Chopx2's Link
Here is the link

11-Sep-20
No need to stress the deer out during the "holiday season" when Winter has set in.

12-Sep-20
This was not the original proposal that the DEC was floating, hence the tagline when I created this post. I guess the DEC had already gotten some negative feedback for it, including NYB's official position of non-support, and the same from the NYS Snow Mobile Association, so they amended it to the one they released.

12-Sep-20
Al, was the original proposal a general firearms week.

13-Sep-20
Sounds like great idea, especially with EHD hitting parts of lower hudson valley

15-Sep-20
I think they overestimate the size of the herd considerably in this state already. We already have one of the longest firearm seasons in the northeast. I don't doubt this is driven by money and money alone. Pressure from insurance companies ,farmers and the hope of more license sales I'll wager have influence in this season. Everything this DEC does concerning deer seems to want to reduce this herd to nothing. The constant doling out of nuisance permits. The high number of doe permits in some areas. The use of rifles and crossbows. The actual regulation of a season for for a voracious predator like coyotes. It all seems contradictory to me due to the fact that I see a lot less deer than I used to. This is unnecessary additional pressure on this deer herd.

15-Sep-20
Ill agree, definitely driven by money. And as far as public comment on the issue. That was just to make it look like sportsman have a say. When in truth this decision was decided long ago. IMO.

15-Sep-20
Shawlerbrook, I do not think it was for a general firearms week. Our main concern was the added pressure that will be placed on the deer, regardless of the implement. The condition of the deer, especially after the rut combined with their metabolism beginning to slow down, could be fatal for some, if not most fatigued deer. I added that the Farm Bureau and the DEC should initiate a program that brings hunters and farmers together to utilize their nuisance permits. The coyote issue is a long standing one. The season should run the entire year. Unfortunately, the answer that I have received in the past is that, "you hunters need to kill more coyotes during their season."

16-Sep-20
bucks are whipped by then, no body fat, some have lost antlers. Not good for them. good for families though. should remain anterless IMO. I think we should have to harvest one anterless deer to obtain our buck tag in the south and that we get just one buck with any weapon.

16-Sep-20
Not to hijack but here is my problem with “earn a buck” schemes. I have no problem shooting a doe as we love venison, but I am in the woods and the biggest buck I ever saw walks by and I have to let it walk because I haven’t shot a doe yet. Now I don’t know how it is in other areas of NYS, but here in Central NYS seeing a monster buck in bow range is not a common occurrence.

17-Sep-20
With 3 times the usual amount of hunting licenses sold this year, it will interesting to see where the DEC goes with this. If the entire state gets their killing mojo going...

18-Sep-20
I almost think the one buck with any weapon idea, while probably not wildly popular with many, has some merit. It might help improve the age structure of the buck population. The way it’s structured now I’m guessing some portion of the hunters out there might be inclined to want to strive for a decent 2 year old or 3 year old buck. With bow season waning, I wouldn’t be surprised if many hunters think “it’s getting late.....take any buck with the bow because in a few day you get another ticket for the big one”. It might help more bucks survive to the next season with more quality bucks in the next age class up.

19-Sep-20
If folks are concerned about stressing deer but still interested in more opportunity maybe making the extra season a primitive weapon (trad archery and flint lock) only might both allow for more opportunity and less pressure on the deer. Just a thought for conversation

28-Sep-20
Why not just open the season two weeks earlier?

28-Sep-20
I think our governor is trying to give all us NYers something to do for the holidays since visitors from most states have to quarantine. This is strictly political and financial decision, not a wildlife management decision.

28-Sep-20
Most decisions by DEC are for both of those reasons. Not input from hunter,trappers and fishermen!

19-Oct-20
JDAWG, I'm with you! One buck a year, regardless of the weapon.

20-Oct-20
Id agree with one buck regardless of weapon. How it was when i started. Think your absolutely correct it would improve age structure of bucks.

20-Oct-20
Id agree with one buck regardless of weapon. How it was when i started. Think your absolutely correct it would improve age structure of bucks.

24-Oct-20
What percentage of hunters take 1 buck? Same question for 2?

14-Dec-20
The bucks I see have ZERO fat on them....why? Our season is much too long as it is

21-Dec-20

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo
Last day NY hunt...Longbow kill...very satisfying

21-Dec-20

SJJ's embedded Photo
SJJ's embedded Photo

21-Dec-20
Congrats on your trad doe!

01-Jan-21
Nice finish SJJ.......

17-Feb-21

erict's Link

17-Feb-21

erict's Link
Click the link to read full story, which begins "ALBANY, N.Y. (WSYR-TV) — The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Wednesday announced it would extend the deer hunting season for hunters using bows and muzzle loaders from December 26, 2021 through January 1 of 2022."

I think we all knew it was coming......

• Sitka Gear