Pete-pec 14-Sep-20
Keith 14-Sep-20
Tweed 14-Sep-20
skookumjt 14-Sep-20
Oleduckhunter 14-Sep-20
Reggiezpop 14-Sep-20
Two Feathers 18-Sep-20
12-Sep-20
Farmer just cut the corn on a 40 by my house on Thursday. Came back from town and counted 27 deer out in the rain in the field at 6:15 tonight. Mostly does and fawns but a few nice bucks and a few smaller bucks. I wish my property was ajioning that field. I'vegot 40 acres of wooded private between me and the field. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow. Might have to have the wife go down there tomorrow evening and start blowing the horn and see if she can chase the my way.LOL.

12-Sep-20
Usually silage fields produce nothing that deer prefer? Must have been some spillage as it was shooting the chopped corn into the trucks? There certainly won't be food for very long.

13-Sep-20
I agree Pete about not a good food source. I was quite surprised to see that many deer scattered out in that field. He always plants that field early and this year the corn grew to about 11 feet tall and loaded with ears. Very strange. Must be some hybred seeds. He also must have made a mess when cutting to see the deer scattered all over the field like that. At least it good to know there are plenty of deer in the neighborhood. The farmers in the area planted a lot more soybean than corn this year.

13-Sep-20
Any time deer find a field appealing, I'll accept it. I hunt a dairy farm, and very rarely ever get corn stubble to hunt, because he's typically chopping it in September for silage. The upside is, he also grows alfalfa of course, so plenty of fresh greens early on, for watching the fields fill up with feeding deer.

13-Sep-20
Ain't it a little early and wet for corn yet.

13-Sep-20
Not for silage. They want it green and wet. It's what's inside those big white bags you see. What silos were made for.

13-Sep-20
Its been really dry here. This guy usually cuts at the end of sept,/1st of oct. so he is only a few week early.

13-Sep-20
Lots of corn cut around me, we have a big dairy farm nearby that puts it up for silage.

13-Sep-20
Tons of fields in Sauk county have started picking either completely or just a few passes at a time.

14-Sep-20
Some fields being chopped last week in Rusk County.

14-Sep-20

Oleduckhunter's Link

14-Sep-20
Oldeduckhunter- that was always one of my dad's fears when we were growing up because we were forever running through and playing in the corn field.

14-Sep-20
You are right Tweed, scary situation. Sad for everyone involved.

14-Sep-20
How is it possible he didn't hear the combine? Something else is going on with this.

14-Sep-20
Terrible!

14-Sep-20
What was the kid doing hunting alone? Michigan law says that anyone under 17 must be accompanied by an adult.

14-Sep-20
1) Teens (and many older folks) can sleep through a freight train

2) Just because he wasn't supposed to didn't mean that he couldn't. I personally don't see anything wrong with a 17 year old hunting solo.

14-Sep-20
No way someone could sleep through a combine coming at them. Completely foreign noise and incredibly loud.

14-Sep-20
I wonder if he had ear buds or something similar on?

14-Sep-20
Tragic situation. Regardless of circumstances, a very sad thing for a family to have to go through. I know zero about farming and farm equipment, so my speculation would be inappropriate at a time like this.

18-Sep-20
The cornfield behind my house got cut yesterday. Grandson said there were deer in it last night and two are in it now as I type.

• Sitka Gear